Re: [Meditation Society of America] overwhelmed beginer can someone tell me where i am and how i got here?

  • JESSICA
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Sandeep
      <sandeep1960@...> wrote:

      > *

      > JESSICA wrote:
      >
      > > this is so frustrating to me. Im a new mom at 28, i have a 1
      year old
      > > and just turned 3 yr old. when i had them a door opend up to me
      and
      > > now im on my journey. so far its led me here, but i feel like im
      in a
      > > different world that speaks a foreign language. i know im on the
      right
      > > path, but the lingo is really hard for me to grasp.
      >
      > *:-)
      >
      > Forget all that is being bandied about.*
      >
      > > im really trying.
      > > the thing on spaciousness, i gather is to clear your mind? is
      there a
      > > study i can go to? a place? somewhere i can learn as a beginer to
      > > meditation and everything that goes with it?
      >
      > *Bob's site has all the tools for you.
      >
      > Playfully wander about and pick up whatever sits well on you.
      > *
      >
      > > so far i feel like im a
      > > hitchhiker on the right road but not knowing where im going.
      >

      > *Well, if you don't care where you are, you ain't never lost.
      >
      > You can only be lost, if you believe there is home.
      >

      > *
      >

      > > i just
      > > want to be enlightend to the universe and other extensions that
      i am
      > > finding are out there besides me.its like i want to yell "Can
      someone
      > > tell me where i am, And how i got here?"
      >
      > *Ascertain what or who is that "i" in both those questions.....
      >
      > .....and the very questions would have been resolved.
      > *
      >
      > > lol seriously im finding this a beautiful world but im not sure
      whats
      > > next?
      >
      > *There ain't any.:-)*

      is there a camp or somewhere i can go a like to get classes a school
      or something, i thought i was smart but i feel dumb here. i dont
      know what bandied is i have to look up alot of words. i need
      tutoring. but i know the site is wonderfully helpful. im glad to
      have found it. i have learned alot thus far. ty
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "JESSICA"
        <jlmulli2692@...> wrote:

        > is there a camp or somewhere i can go a like to get classes a school
        > or something, i thought i was smart but i feel dumb here. i dont
        > know what bandied is i have to look up alot of words. i need
        > tutoring. but i know the site is wonderfully helpful. im glad to
        > have found it. i have learned alot thus far. ty

        Hi Jessica -

        Here's a beginning:

        Breathe. Easy and
        natural, right?

        Now, notice when you
        are inhaling and notice
        when you are exhaling.

        Do this for a few minutes
        (maybe after the kids are
        settled for the evening).

        When thoughts come in (and
        they will) let them go, and
        simply return to noticing
        when you are inhaling and
        when you are exhaling.

        Allow yourself to relax
        with each exhale. Just be
        quietly aware of your
        immediate surroundings
        while you do this.

        Congratulations. You are
        now a meditator.

        Jeff
      • Bruce Morgen
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
          Jeff Belyea wrote:

          >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "JESSICA"
          ><jlmulli2692@...> wrote:
          >

          >>is there a camp or somewhere i can go a like to get classes a school
          >>or something, i thought i was smart but i feel dumb here. i dont
          >>know what bandied is i have to look up alot of words. i need
          >>tutoring. but i know the site is wonderfully helpful. im glad to
          >>have found it. i have learned alot thus far. ty
          >>

          >Hi Jessica -
          >
          >Here's a beginning:
          >
          >Breathe. Easy and
          >natural, right?
          >
          >Now, notice when you
          >are inhaling and notice
          >when you are exhaling.
          >
          >Do this for a few minutes
          >(maybe after the kids are
          >settled for the evening).
          >
          >When thoughts come in (and
          >they will) let them go, and
          >simply return to noticing
          >when you are inhaling and
          >when you are exhaling.
          >
          >Allow yourself to relax
          >with each exhale. Just be
          >quietly aware of your
          >immediate surroundings
          >while you do this.
          >
          >Congratulations. You are
          >now a meditator.

          Excellent starting advice.
          As time goes on, you may
          want to refine this simple
          practice by (for example)
          inhaling through the nose
          but exhaling through the
          mouth, and altering details
          of your posture, such as
          learning/assuming lotus
          position and/or turning the
          palms upward in receptivity
          -- or not. :-)
        • aideenmck
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
            <jlmulli2692@...> wrote:

            > this is so frustrating to me. Im a new mom at 28, i have a 1 year
            old
            > and just turned 3 yr old. when i had them a door opend up to me
            and
            > now im on my journey. so far its led me here, but i feel like im
            in a
            > different world that speaks a foreign language. i know im on the
            right
            > path, but the lingo is really hard for me to grasp. im really
            trying.
            > the thing on spaciousness, i gather is to clear your mind? is
            there a
            > study i can go to? a place? somewhere i can learn as a beginer to
            > meditation and everything that goes with it? so far i feel like im
            > hitchhiker on the right road but not knowing where im going. i
            just
            > want to be enlightend to the universe and other extensions that i
            am
            > finding are out there besides me.its like i want to yell "Can
            someone
            > tell me where i am, And how i got here?" lol seriously im finding
            this
            > a beautiful world but im not sure whats next?

            Jessica - You may find it helpful to read Lawrence Leshan's "How to
            Meditate". It helped me when I felt overwhelmed. And while doing
            whatever your life gives you to do (changing diapers, etc.), remain
            always in the here & now, not in the past or the future. When you
            discover that you've momentarily lost the present, return to it
            without being annoyed with yourself. Inhale. Exhale. Pay
            attention. There you are. :)
          • aideenmck
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "aideenmck"
              <aideenmck@...> wrote:

              > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "JESSICA"
              > <jlmulli2692@> wrote:
              > >
              > > this is so frustrating to me. Im a new mom at 28, i have a 1
              year
              > old
              > > and just turned 3 yr old. when i had them a door opend up to me
              > and
              > > now im on my journey. so far its led me here, but i feel like im
              > in a
              > > different world that speaks a foreign language. i know im on the
              > right
              > > path, but the lingo is really hard for me to grasp. im really
              > trying.
              > > the thing on spaciousness, i gather is to clear your mind? is
              > there a
              > > study i can go to? a place? somewhere i can learn as a beginer
              > > meditation and everything that goes with it? so far i feel like
              im
              > > hitchhiker on the right road but not knowing where im going. i
              > just
              > > want to be enlightend to the universe and other extensions that
              > am
              > > finding are out there besides me.its like i want to yell "Can
              > someone
              > > tell me where i am, And how i got here?" lol seriously im
              finding
              > this
              > > a beautiful world but im not sure whats next?
              > >
              > Jessica - You may find it helpful to read Lawrence Leshan's "How
              > Meditate". It helped me when I felt overwhelmed. And while doing
              > whatever your life gives you to do (changing diapers, etc.),
              remain
              > always in the here & now, not in the past or the future. When you
              > discover that you've momentarily lost the present, return to it
              > without being annoyed with yourself. Inhale. Exhale. Pay
              > attention. There you are. :)

              Oh & by the way - if you can't find "how to Meditate" at the
              library, do what Jeff Belyea suggested - that's Leshan's book in a
              nutshell!
            • aideenmck
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
                <aideenmck@...> wrote:

                > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "aideenmck"
                > <aideenmck@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "JESSICA"
                > > <jlmulli2692@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > this is so frustrating to me. Im a new mom at 28, i have a 1
                > year
                > > old
                > > > and just turned 3 yr old. when i had them a door opend up to
                me
                > > and
                > > > now im on my journey. so far its led me here, but i feel like
                im
                > > in a
                > > > different world that speaks a foreign language. i know im on
                the
                > > right
                > > > path, but the lingo is really hard for me to grasp. im really
                > > trying.
                > > > the thing on spaciousness, i gather is to clear your mind? is
                > > there a
                > > > study i can go to? a place? somewhere i can learn as a beginer
                > > > meditation and everything that goes with it? so far i feel
                like
                > im
                > > > hitchhiker on the right road but not knowing where im going. i
                > > just
                > > > want to be enlightend to the universe and other extensions
                that
                > > am
                > > > finding are out there besides me.its like i want to yell "Can
                > > someone
                > > > tell me where i am, And how i got here?" lol seriously im
                > finding
                > > this
                > > > a beautiful world but im not sure whats next?
                > > >
                > > Jessica - You may find it helpful to read Lawrence Leshan's "How
                > > Meditate". It helped me when I felt overwhelmed. And while
                doing
                > > whatever your life gives you to do (changing diapers, etc.),
                > remain
                > > always in the here & now, not in the past or the future. When
                you
                > > discover that you've momentarily lost the present, return to it
                > > without being annoyed with yourself. Inhale. Exhale. Pay
                > > attention. There you are. :)
                > >
                > Oh & by the way - if you can't find "how to Meditate" at the
                > library, do what Jeff Belyea suggested - that's Leshan's book in a
                > nutshell!

                Another "by the way" & then I'll keep quiet - you might want to
                borrow Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now"
              • prakki surya
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006

                  dear friends

                  Every spiritual aspirant aims at the bliss to be obtained by himself (Atmaananda). Salvation means liberation from all the worries and misery. Sayujyam or Kaivalyam means reaching the God to attain the bliss because God is Infinite Ocean of bliss. If this is the aim of spirituality, how is it different from materialism? In materialism also every body wants to release from worries and misery and wants to attain permanent happiness, which is called bliss. Therefore, there is no difference between a materialistic aspirant and a spiritual aspirant.

                  The only difference between these two aspirants is that the materialistic aspirant uses the worldly items as instruments to attain the goal and the spiritual aspirant uses God as instrument to attain the same goal. Remember that enjoying bliss is enjoying the fruit you have earned. If you enjoy the bliss in this world, nothing remains for the upper world. In the upper world you cannot do any effort (Karma) and earn the bliss because it is only the world of enjoyment (Bhogaloka) and not the world of any effort (Karma Loka). Therefore, you must think of reducing your desire to enjoy the bliss-fruit obtained from God. Even if you store a part of the fruit for the upper world you have to come back to this earth again to do the spiritual effort. It has lot of risk because when you return back again we don’t know the atmosphere in which you will be placed and so you cannot be sure of this spiritual effort.

                  Then what is to be done? Go on doing the spiritual effort without aspiring for the bliss-fruit. Surrender the fruit to the Lord and you have no aspiration for that fruit. You are entering into the service of Lord as His beloved servant. You must aspire the bliss of the God and not the bliss for yourself. This means you should do such service to the Lord so that it pleases Him. The bliss or pleasure of the Lord should be your goal. If Lord is pleased you are pleased. In the service even if you undergo loss and get troubles and misery, it should be a pleasure for you because the service is going to finally please the Lord. This is the highest path in which your bliss-fruit is infinitely multiplied and is beyond any account.

                  When the finger of Lord Krishna was cut, Draupadi tore her sari and banded the finger. It was a very costly sari and she is sitting in the sacrifice of Rajasuya. If then the sari is torn, she will loose wealth. She knows it and Pandavas lost the kingdom after the sacrifice. She was prepared for all this because her goal was only to please the Lord. When she applied the piece of cloth as a bandage, she never aspired the bliss-fruit for that service. Therefore, that piece was infinitely multiplied into several saris and was given to her by the Lord at a proper time. Similarly, when you sacrifice the bliss-fruit to the Lord, it will be infinitely multiplied and He will give you whenever the right occasion comes according to His discrimination. In this stage the Lord is pleased to see you enjoying the bliss and therefore, you must enjoy the bliss because that pleases the Lord.

                    posted by: His servant
                    at the lotus feet of shri datta swami
                    www.universal-spirituality.org

                  Yahoo! Mail
                • Delia Tofolean
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2006
                    Hi Jeff,

                    I think u are a wonderful teacher. For me u are the genuine spirit who has inspired my favourite Zen Koan:

                    1.   A Cup of Tea
                    Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.
                    Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.
                    The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"
                    "Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

                    In my poor opinion one has first to choose the right cup and afterwards he can try to empty it.

                    With great respect

                    Delia

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 4, 2006
                      Thank you, Delia, for the heartwarming
                      compliments, and the great story.

                      Jeff

                      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Delia Tofolean
                      <deliatfn@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Jeff,
                      >
                      > I think u are a wonderful teacher. For me u are the genuine
                      spirit who has inspired my favourite Zen Koan:

                      > 1. A Cup of Tea
                      > Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912),
                      received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen. Nan-
                      in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on
                      pouring. The professor watched the overflow until he no longer
                      could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go
                      in!" "Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own
                      opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first
                      empty your cup?"

                      > In my poor opinion one has first to choose the right cup and
                      afterwards he can try to empty it.

                      > With great respect
                      >
                      > Delia
                      >
                      > Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:
                      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "JESSICA"
                      > <jlmulli2692@> wrote:
                      >

                      > > is there a camp or somewhere i can go a like to get classes a
                      school
                      > > or something, i thought i was smart but i feel dumb here. i dont
                      > > know what bandied is i have to look up alot of words. i need
                      > > tutoring. but i know the site is wonderfully helpful. im glad to
                      > > have found it. i have learned alot thus far. ty
                      > >

                      > Hi Jessica -
                      >
                      > Here's a beginning:
                      >
                      > Breathe. Easy and
                      > natural, right?
                      >
                      > Now, notice when you
                      > are inhaling and notice
                      > when you are exhaling.
                      >
                      > Do this for a few minutes
                      > (maybe after the kids are
                      > settled for the evening).
                      >
                      > When thoughts come in (and
                      > they will) let them go, and
                      > simply return to noticing
                      > when you are inhaling and
                      > when you are exhaling.
                      >
                      > Allow yourself to relax
                      > with each exhale. Just be
                      > quietly aware of your
                      > immediate surroundings
                      > while you do this.
                      >
                      > Congratulations. You are
                      > now a meditator.
                      >
                      > Jeff

                      > Health and wellness Alternative medicine Health
                      wellness product Health and wellness program Health promotion
                      and wellness Womens health and wellness

                      Service.