[Meditation Society of America] Re: Stagnating the number of members and declining the number of messages.

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2006
      Thank you Bob and Maria for poasting your perceptions. What I gather
      from your posts that the meditators are becoming more serious, of

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, maria luisa
      <mlcanow@...> wrote:
      > Dear Bob and all,
      > I agree with you mostly entirely. I wouldn´t pay so much
      attention to the issue of lessening posts. The small group of
      posters move from forum to forum...who knows what moves us to do so.
      But meditationsocietyofamerica, in my opinion, is one of the most
      reliable places for those seeking counseling and guidance.
      > I also hope in the future, more clarifying and wise words will be
      written and assimilated by the readers and practitioners of
> [...]
      > quantity of members we have. Our web site gets
      > millions of "hits" a year, and we are pleased at
      > the way that meditation is being found to be a
      > "normal" part of society's actions. I remember
      > back in 1987 when I first proposed teaching a
      > course at a local Community College, the person
      > who headed the adult education program said
      > "Well, it's a quack thing, but let's see how
      > the community responds". Many sold-out classes
      > later, virtually every staff member and teacher
      > at the school, as well as her own assistant had
      > taken our course, and we had received 100% favorable
      > ratings. And the pattern of sold out classes over the
      > past 18+ years at 5 different adult education programs
      > has demonstrated that there is a great desire for
      > meditation instruction, particularly when delivered
      > without any religious or cult-type obligations attached.
      > And I'm sure this growing acceptance is national and
      > international. Just last night, the Stephen Cobert
      > Report had Lama Suria Das as a guest (he was excellent!),
      > and he was treated as "for real" by the host, who usually
      > is one of the most sarcastic comics on TV. Also, Time
      > Magazine just had another feature story about a month
      > ago that praised and verified the medical and
      > scientific validity of meditation. So what I see is
      > that meditation has become "mainstream" and more and
      > more people have now found the "how-to" info and are
      > doing it, and the need to just talk about it via our
      > or other forums has lessened. And I think that is a
      > good thing. If you see the numbers of posts we had been
      > getting at some points in the past was over 1000 per month,
      > you could assume that there was a greater interest in
      > meditation, but that would be erroneous, as virtually all
      > of them were about which Guru was valid and which was phony.
      > And this still goes on (and on and on and on) at other forums.
      > But if you examine the actual content of the posts we get here
      > for the past year or so, I think you'll agree that they mostly
      > actually do have consciousness elevating potential. Also, as
      > far as the slow rise in new members, there is no need for anyone
      > to actually join the group to read the posts and enjoy
      > and benefit from the amazing resource that our archieved messages
      > are, unless you intend to post here. We still get hundreds of
      > email a week that this group and that the web site
      > generates, so I suspect that the number of people who are
      > checking out the group is great, while the number of those who
      > opt to join is much smaller. In any event, I'm pleased that
      > we have this vehicle to share techniques and concepts of
      > meditation, and appreciate greatly that you and others
      > do give your energy to making this group a highly valuable
      > resource for those seeking meditation knowledge.
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob Rose, President,
      > Meditation Society of America
      > http://www.meditationsociety.com
      > Health and wellness Alternative medicine Health
      wellness product Health and wellness program Health promotion
      and wellness Business health wellness