Stagnating the number of members and declining the number of messages.

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2006
      Tne number of membership is stagnating and the number of messages per
      unit of time is declining.

      Is interest for meditation declining?

      Is success in meditation elusive?

      Is it frustrating to pursue meditation practice?

      What is the reality?

      regards,
      Jogeshwar
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2006
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
        <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

        > Tne number of membership is stagnating and the number of messages per
        > unit of time is declining.
        >
        > Is interest for meditation declining?
        >
        > Is success in meditation elusive?
        >
        > Is it frustrating to pursue meditation practice?
        >
        > What is the reality?
        >
        > regards,
        > Jogeshwar

        Yo Sri Jpgeshwar,
        I am confident that the interest in meditation
        is increasing, and has very little relationship
        to how many posts this group gets or the
        quantity of members we have. Our web site gets
        millions of "hits" a year, and we are pleased at
        the way that meditation is being found to be a
        "normal" part of society's actions. I remember
        back in 1987 when I first proposed teaching a
        course at a local Community College, the person
        who headed the adult education program said
        "Well, it's a quack thing, but let's see how
        the community responds". Many sold-out classes
        later, virtually every staff member and teacher
        at the school, as well as her own assistant had
        taken our course, and we had received 100% favorable
        ratings. And the pattern of sold out classes over the
        past 18+ years at 5 different adult education programs
        has demonstrated that there is a great desire for
        meditation instruction, particularly when delivered
        without any religious or cult-type obligations attached.
        And I'm sure this growing acceptance is national and
        international. Just last night, the Stephen Cobert
        Report had Lama Suria Das as a guest (he was excellent!),
        and he was treated as "for real" by the host, who usually
        is one of the most sarcastic comics on TV. Also, Time
        Magazine just had another feature story about a month
        ago that praised and verified the medical and
        scientific validity of meditation. So what I see is
        that meditation has become "mainstream" and more and
        more people have now found the "how-to" info and are
        doing it, and the need to just talk about it via our
        or other forums has lessened. And I think that is a
        good thing. If you see the numbers of posts we had been
        getting at some points in the past was over 1000 per month,
        you could assume that there was a greater interest in
        meditation, but that would be erroneous, as virtually all
        of them were about which Guru was valid and which was phony.
        And this still goes on (and on and on and on) at other forums.
        But if you examine the actual content of the posts we get here
        for the past year or so, I think you'll agree that they mostly
        actually do have consciousness elevating potential. Also, as
        far as the slow rise in new members, there is no need for anyone
        to actually join the group to read the posts and enjoy
        and benefit from the amazing resource that our archieved messages
        are, unless you intend to post here. We still get hundreds of
        email a week that this group and that the web site
        generates, so I suspect that the number of people who are
        checking out the group is great, while the number of those who
        opt to join is much smaller. In any event, I'm pleased that
        we have this vehicle to share techniques and concepts of
        meditation, and appreciate greatly that you and others
        do give your energy to making this group a highly valuable
        resource for those seeking meditation knowledge.
        Peace and blessings,
        Bob Rose, President,
        Meditation Society of America
        http://www.meditationsociety.com
      • maria luisa
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2006
          Dear Bob and all,

          I agree with you mostly entirely. I wouldn´t pay so much attention to the issue of lessening posts. The small group of posters move from forum to forum...who knows what moves us to do so. But meditationsocietyofamerica, in my opinion, is one of the most reliable places for those seeking counseling and guidance.
          I also hope in the future, more clarifying and wise words will be written and assimilated by the readers and practitioners of meditaion.
          Love,
          Maria Luisa

          <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

> [...]
          for the past year or so, I think you'll agree that they mostly
          actually do have consciousness elevating potential. Also, as
          far as the slow rise in new members, there is no need for anyone
          to actually join the group to read the posts and enjoy
          and benefit from the amazing resource that our archieved messages
          are, unless you intend to post here. We still get hundreds of
          email a week that this group and that the web site
          generates, so I suspect that the number of people who are
          checking out the group is great, while the number of those who
          opt to join is much smaller. In any event, I'm pleased that
          we have this vehicle to share techniques and concepts of
          meditation, and appreciate greatly that you and others
          do give your energy to making this group a highly valuable
          resource for those seeking meditation knowledge.

          LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
          http://es.voice.yahoo.com

        • prakki surya
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2006
            DEAR FRIENDS

            Divine Message of His Holiness Shri Datta Swami

            When the work is possible through the process that follows the laws of nature, supernatural power of God is not used. Only demons exhibit the supernatural powers even if there is no necessity. They want to draw the attention and attract the people for their name and fame. Their aim is not to uplift the humanity. Such attraction creates attention in the people. But it simultaneously creates tension also. The realization and natural love (Devotion) cannot be created in excited state of tension. The devotion should be spontaneous and should be developed in the ground state only, which alone is sweet. This entire universe is created by the Lord only for tasting such real natural sweet devotion of devotees. The exhibition of miracles always creates fear and tension and a natural flexible state is not possible, in which only the sweet devotion can be tasted. The tension will block your mind and you will not dare to clear your doubts. It is not congenial for the growth and expansion of divine knowledge. Unless there is a bare necessity the Lord will not perform miracles. When the work is not possible through natural phase, then only the supernatural power lightens. Even if the miracle is performed the Lord will try to hide it so that the natural state is balanced. When Lord Krishna covered the sun with His divine wheel, He interpreted it as the cover of cloud. The intention of the Lord is not self exhibition like a demon. The same supernatural miracle performed by a demon is used for his self projection. The Lord likes to be loved by the devotees without exhibiting His supernatural wealth.

            The son of a king who is good and humble likes to win the heart of a girl without exposing his identity. He does not like to exhibit his wealth to win her heart. Similarly the God likes to attract the hearts of devotees by His divine knowledge which is His eternal divine beauty. If the son of the king has no self-merit, he tries to attract her by cheap exhibition of his identity and wealth. Thus a demon like Satan tries to attract the human beings by cheap exhibition of the supernatural powers and tries to convert them as his devotees. Satan tried to attract Jesus by showing his kingdom. Jesus attracted people by His divine knowledge. When it becomes inevitable to do a miracle which cannot be hidden, the Lord tries to neutralize the tension by exhibiting strong negative qualities. Lord Krishna lifted the mountain and protected the villagers from the rain. Such miracles cannot be hidden and misinterpreted. To bring them to the normal state the Lord exhibited very strong Rajas and Tamas like stealing butter and dancing with girls. In the case of Lord Rama there was no necessity of such exhibition of miracles. There was no need for Him to show the negative qualities. Thus the Lord is associated with all the three qualities to be used wherever and whenever necessary.

              posted by: His servant
              at the lotus feet of shri datta swami
              www.universal-spirituality.org

          • jogeshwarmahanta
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22, 2006
              Thank you Bob and Maria for poasting your perceptions. What I gather
              from your posts that the meditators are becoming more serious, of
              late.

              regards,
              jogeshwar

              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, maria luisa
              <mlcanow@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > to actually join the group to read the posts and enjoy
              > and benefit from the amazing resource that our archieved messages
              > are, unless you intend to post here. We still get hundreds of
              > email a week that this group and that the web site
              > generates, so I suspect that the number of people who are
              > checking out the group is great, while the number of those who
              > opt to join is much smaller. In any event, I'm pleased that
              > we have this vehicle to share techniques and concepts of
              > meditation, and appreciate greatly that you and others
              > do give your energy to making this group a highly valuable
              > resource for those seeking meditation knowledge.
              > Peace and blessings,
              > Bob Rose, President,
              > Meditation Society of America
              > http://www.meditationsociety.com

              > Health and wellness Alternative medicine Health
              wellness product Health and wellness program Health promotion
              and wellness Business health wellness

              Service.