Re: Questions and Answers

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2006
      <no_reply@...> wrote:
      > From an interesting email we got yesterday -
      > and my answer - If anyone feels like adding
      > their input, I'm sure it will be very welcomed.
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob
      > Hi,
      > Just to give you a little backround: I have been
      > meditating for about 6 months now. I have some
      > (meditation) CDs which I LOVE. Sometimes I listen
      > to those and other times I am just quiet and still
      > focusing on my breathing.
      > I noticed that I started to get random flashbacks from
      > things way in my past. For example, I was sitting at
      > my desk at work and all of a sudden a toy would appear
      > in my head that I had as a little girl (now I'm 40).
      > I wasn't thinking about this toy at all. It just popped
      > up. That has been happening a lot. I am also having a
      > lot more lucid dreams.
      > I find one thing conflicting about meditation though.
      > If a person is supposed to keep her mind clear and not
      > let any thoughts in, how will outer problems be solved.
      > It would seem to me that a person should just think about
      > the problem and then let ideas pop up and not judge the
      > ideas.
      > When I meditate I like to picture Jesus sitting in front
      > of me meditating also and I like to imagine He is going
      > to let thoughts into my mind that He thinks will help me
      > in life. But if I'm supposed to block my thoughts in
      > order to stay clear, how would I get any guidance? Perhaps
      > I am misunderstanding the concept.
      > Your thoughts? Thanks.
      > Yo C,
      > I think that there is actually no conflict at all. If
      > my memory is correct (and memory being just a
      > form/collection of thoughts, and thus not all that
      > reliable:-), in our list of meditations on our site,
      > the #1 listed one deals with giving your suffering to
      > a deity. And as you already are practicing a very similar
      > method wherein Jesus gives you the thoughts you need
      > to use to help your life, the more and more empty you
      > are of "Cheryl's thoughts", the more and more space you
      > have to fill up with Divine thoughts. Focusing on your
      > breath and just being quiet does create the environment
      > that is conducive to mastering your mind and having it
      > be proper soil for holy fruit to arise. But as you try
      > to witness your thoughts unreactively, your mind will
      > probably try to distract you by making the thoughts more
      > complex or increase their quantity, or fill you with bliss
      > or fear, or in some way get you distracted and place you
      > in a position of reactivity to them. This is our usual
      > state - a slave to our thoughts, and our mind likes the
      > position of slave master very much and will do anything
      > to keep that arrangement going. As both Buddha and Jesus
      > sat for 40 days in meditation, their mind (the devil?)
      > gave them amazingly beautiful and also very terrifying
      > thoughts. They maintained their peace, saw through the
      > illusions of the mind, and knew their Real nature and
> [...]

      Hello C.

      Appearance of past memories is inevitable because for transformation
      reorganisation of psyche is a necessary process. As you progess in
      meditation, memories go on being re evaluated. In fact, to boost the
      process we recite/reverberate the following mantra:

      4.Let us attain perfection and pleasures in feeling free, relaxed,
      comfortable, reorganized and produce and progress instantly,
      perfectly, permanently and spontaneously.

      Please keep up. Wish you best of your progress.