Dream a Little Dream With Me

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2006
      This morning's writing,
      too long for an email,
      uploaded in the Files
      here.

      Prowl Panthers!

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 22, 2006
        <jeff@m...> wrote:

        > This morning's writing,
        > too long for an email,
        > uploaded in the Files
        > here.
        >
        > Prowl Panthers!
        >
        > Jeff

        Yo Papajeff,
        Since (I think this is the case) only members of this
        forum are able to read anything in the Files, and this
        article is so in-spiring, in-couraging, and well written,
        I've copied it below so everyone who wants to can read it.
        To paraphrase something Mozart once told the king who
        told him to take some notes out of a musical piece he
        had composed, "It's not too long or too short - it's
        exactly as long as it should be."
        Thanks for sharing this "everywoman/everyman's story".
        PS: "ROI"?

        Dream A Little Dream With Me.

        When I was very young I lived in a fantasy world of
        movie-inspired adventure. The world was my ripe watermelon
        (I don't like oysters), sweet and juicy and satisfying.
        As I grew older and submitted to the social coercion of
        fitting in, and acting normal, I slipped into the quiet
        desperation that most men suffer. I played the game, but I
        was never "in" the game. I joined the parade of worker bees,
        hoping for nothing more than middle-class success. I was
        bored, constipated and pretty much miserable. Oh, I took
        the typical excursions of sex, drugs and rock `n' roll.
        Um, maybe I was a little more indulgent than the average
        bear, but I stayed mostly in the mainstream and out of any
        real trouble - criminal and otherwise.

        Then, as I approached 30, the quiet desperation turned to
        an existential angst that gnawed at me until the pain became
        so unbearable that I abandoned everyone and everything in my
        life. I ripped off the nice, respectable, middle class,
        dressed-for-success persona. Remember the sex, drugs and
        rock'n'roll thing? Well, those were first stops along the
        way to what would become a vision quest, and an enlightenment
        experience that would change my life even more dramatically
        than the earlier flee.

        Now, I didn't know of any such thing as a vision quest, and
        I only use that term in retrospect. My simple and primary
        goal was to escape the choking oppression that I felt.
        However, the guilt of my slip-out-the-back-Jack move overtook
        me in a few years. It haunted me in my sober moments, but it
        really overtook me in about 3 years from the time I left.
        Life became more than bleak. I wanted to die. I asked to
        die. My mantra became, "let me die", until one day I looked
        heavenward, and asked, "What did I miss?"

        The response to that question was to come on July 21, 1975
        at about 9:30 in the morning. In the midst of a quiet
        meditation I experienced what is typically described by
        NDEs, Near Death Experiencers. I was given a pardon by
        the governor; I mean THE governor. I was free from guilt,
        shame, and degradation over my past deeds, and given a new
        life free from fear and doubt. I happily, make that
        ecstatically, returned to the mainstream buzz of worker
        bees. Only this time I found joy in work, joy in relationships,
        joy , joy, joy. The world was my watermelon (or honeycomb,
        in this case) once again. And I have stayed in the garden
        ever since. A little fear and doubt creeps in, but never
        of the intensity that robs me of my joy or makes me angry
        for anything more or longer than a ripple in time. But
        obviously, that's not the end of the story.

        Given this new found freedom and enthusiasm for life, I
        was dressed-for-success once again. I played the game
        better than before, and moved through the corporate ranks
        at virtually every stop. I earned a bunch of degrees and
        certifications in this and that; thinking that these would
        enhance and insure my success. And they did…somewhat. But
        I grew up in a blue-collar world, and my aspirations were
        limited to what I saw as one step higher on the ladder -
        a white collar, good-paying job, or a small business of my
        own. Small was as big as I could think. I would dream, but
        more like dreams of winning the lottery or being left a
        inheritance by a rich uncle. I don't have a rich uncle, but
        this is a dream, remember.

        Then one day in the not too distance past, I woke up. I didn't
        want to wait for a rich uncle to die. I wanted to become that
        rich uncle. But my strategy was flawed. We do not break out
        of the swarm by becoming better bees, with more degrees.
        Worker bees never change jobs. Even the snappiest dressers,
        in corner offices, never become anything more than worker
        bees. They have grander excursions, bigger honeycombs, a
        louder buzz, sometimes more vacations (sometimes less)…but
        they're still worker bees. They cannot imagine themselves,
        other than in some fanciful moment, beeing (intentional)
        anything else. A light bulb came on. No, I didn't become a
        moth. But to stay with the small insect metaphor, I became a caterpillar.

        We must evolve. We must grow wings and gracefully fly over
        the brick wall of small-minded thinking, over the corporate
        wall, and off into the wild blue yonder. We must tap into a
        vision, into inspired acts of courage, and, if necessary,
        abandon everyone and everything that limits us and keeps us
        from our dreams.
        Or we can nestle down into our life of quiet desperation. Or
        we can deny our quiet desperation. Or we can drown the
        desperation in sex, drugs and B-movies. Evolution is not for
        everyone. The side effects can kill you. Of course, if you're
        happy and you know it, clap your hands. If that didn't startle
        you and wake you up, then you just may be one of the fortunate
        ones, and this story can be filed in the non-applicable draw.

        If you're still reading, you may have a question, like,
        "How can I evolve?". Well, like the caterpillar, we are
        destined to evolve. Everything we need to evolve into a life
        of peace, love, joy and rich success came with us at birth.
        The problem is what we have learned since then. The solution
        is to unlearn and return to our natural birthright. We must
        die to our old way of thinking, give up all of our misguided
        presumptions, and untie the knots of social coercion. There
        are (at least) two ways to do this: shrink or expand.

        The way of the shrink: Tell me what's on your mind. Spill it
        all out. Keep going. What else? And how do you feel about
        that? See you next week…and next week…and next week. At some
        point you may come to the bitter root of your presumptions
        about life and relationships that keeps growing weeds in your
        mind and choking out your joy in life. Potentially, out of
        this will come insights, and a reframing, rethinking about
        your life strategy, and a new found freedom. Wings.

        The way of expansion: One day you feel an inner stirring.
        Something is missing in your life. You don't know what. And
        the feeling gnaws at you until you begin to search for the
        answer. It's a mystery, and you don't have a clue. But you
        search. You have no choice. Then, one day, in the midst of
        quiet meditation, or in the midst of a mud-wrestling match,
        it hits you. Your mind melts. You give up searching completely.
        Your head knowledge drops into your heart. And from this
        seat of wisdom, without words, comes THE answer. A sudden
        rush of wisdom whooshes in, and you realize that you have
        wings. A whole new identity that you have never dreamed or
        imagined is yours, and a whole new world opens up before you…
        like magic.

        Some people make this journey alone. For many, a guide who
        has made the journey, is of great help. A shrink, a guru, a
        good book, a gorgeous sunrise, an obnoxious boss; any of these
        can catapult you over the wall. A walking stick for your
        journey is best fashioned out of a choice to love. Choose to
        be a loving, forgiving, grateful person. In the midst of the
        pain preceding evolution, this ain't easy, but keep coming
        back to it. Love is the best walking stick on life's journey
        known to man and woman. All of the masters agree.

        And now, for the practical side (which may not be obvious to
        some, but you have read this far) of this cosmic dream. Once
        this truth that sets you free is known, you are truly capable
        of inspired living. You can become an artist in all that you
        do, and a master of all you choose to focus your energies on
        persistently. Trust, no matter what. Let love guide you to
        your destiny. Do what you love doing, at all costs. The ROI
        puts Wall Street to shame, and puts you in the garden of
        lush watermelons, milk and honey, for the rest of your days.

        Papajeff

        Jeff Belyea , known by some as Papajeff, is a meditation
        teacher and personal coach in St. Petersburg, Florida.
        He can be reached by email at jeff@... or on his
        cell phone at 727-542-7117.