Mullah and the generations of life

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2005
      The king had heard that Mullah Nasrudin was a very wise man
      and so he had him brought to him. He then asked Nasrudin to
      tell him something that would make him feel happy.
      Nasrudin said "I hope your father dies, you die, and your
      son dies".
      This infuriated the king so much that he had Nasrudin thrown
      into a jail cell and vowed to have him hung.

      Because his advisers knew how strange Nasrudin's teachings
      were, they implored the king to reconsider and let Nasrudin
      explain why he said what he did. The king had him brought to
      his chamber and the king said "I asked you to tell me something
      that would bring me happiness and you told me something
      very depressing. Why did you say these things?

      "If your son would die before you," Nasrudin answered, "it
      would cause unbearable sadness to you and your father. And if
      you died before your father, it too would would bring great
      sorrow. But if your family dies in the order I have described,
      it will be the natural course of life. This is true happiness."
    • byron1786
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2005
        Good story! For your hopefully continued enjoyment, submitting a saying attributed to
        Socrates that strikes me as both aphorism and koan:
        "True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know
        nothing, that makes you the smartest of all."

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...>