[Meditation Society of America] Re: The Dalai Lama on TV Said He's Not Enlighten

  • Durga
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 22, 2005
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "blueoceantiger"
      <jkane@d...> wrote:
      snip

      > as far as enlightenment, many who are awake
      > state they cannot claim this for themselves.
      > it is rather an awareness of what is.
      >
      > --josie--

      I've never seen a Tibetan teacher yet, who *did* say
      that s/he was 'enlightened.' It's not the done thing
      in that tradition. They will praise their own teacher,
      heaping superlatives upon their own guru, while saying
      that they themselves have no understanding at all.
      I've seen this over and over again.

      Also, I believe, that within the Tibetan tradition,
      'enlightenment' is seen in some ways as gradual, which might
      perhaps correspond somewhat to the Vedantic teaching of Self-
      knowledge with pratibhandika's, that is Self-knowledge with
      obstructions, such obstructions having more to do with past
      mental conditioning which are still causing pain in the mind,
      and having nothing at all to do with the actual 'recognition'
      of the Self. (But I'm not really familiar enough with the
      teachings of Tibetan Buddhism to say that for certain).

      I once heard a Tibetan lama, whom I thought was a wonderful
      teacher, with much insight, refer to himself as a 'just small
      piece of pony poop.' So, I think that the practice of modesty
      and self-effacement is totally in keeping with their tradition.
      And I do think that HH was kidding when he gave his reasons
      for not being 'enlightened.' He does have a very good
      sense of humor, and he likes to laugh a lot.--Durga
    • vishal pandya
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 27, 2006
        Dear all,

        i got that all the people who is enlighted are not having a some
        diffrence to find for a normal perso.

        for that you have to be with him just observe him and if you can do
        this u also find that be witness state is coming in yourself directly.
        i am not saying just by theory as i had a opportunity to live with
        enlighted person and after those days i feel that i am changed in all
        aspects.

        i am with siddhyogi shri vibhakarji. he is also able to grace
        kundalini shaktipat.
        and gracing many people in his camps of dhyana- yoga ( meditation - yoga ).

        you can contact his site for more details www.siddhyog.org

        thanks