Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: The Dalai Lama on TV Said He's Not Enlighten

  • Bruce Morgen
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
      medit8ionsociety wrote:

      >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr"
      ><jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
      >

      >>--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
      >><editor@j...> wrote:

      >"thinskinnybones"

      >>>No doubt about that, which is
      >>>why your personal (dare I say?)
      >>>crusade against the occlusive
      >>>aspects of spear-chill culture
      >>>has considerable merit imo!
      >>>

      >>Thanks, Bruceji.
      >>
      >>I'm having some trouble finding direct references to
      >>the idea of spiritual occlusion, outside of what I
      >>originally picked up from you. We may be out on a limb
      >>with this one, more so than I anticipated, now that
      >>I'm trying to write a book about it.
      >>

      >Yo Sri Jodyji and Sri Bruceji,
      >Like with most things I encounter in this incarnation,
      >I'm not 100% certain...of what you mean by "spiritual
      >occlusion", but I tend to think you mean things that
      >are obstacles to the direct experience of Truth/Reality/
      >Enlightenment/etc. And I think that if this is so,
      >there can never be a definite statement made in words
      >on paper or pixel or whatever. Perhaps we can only
      >state possibilities...like this formula points to:
      >
      >Every (spiritual) belief has an
      >opposite dis-belief = occlusion.
      >Every experience has the potential to be hallucinatory
      >in nature – or real = possibly non-occlusive.
      >
      >But getting back to the Dalai Lama, when he made the
      >"I'm not Enlightened" statement, he was smiling and
      >joyous, so I too question his seriousness about the
      >statement. Now, forgive me for "name dropping", but
      >I remember one time when Swami Satchidananda replied
      >to my question about how it felt to be considered a
      >Guru, he said that he was amazed that here in America
      >he was considered a (spiritual) giant, but in India,
      >he know he wasn't even worthy to be the dust under the
      >feet of the true giants. I think that in his own eyes,
      >he wasn't being falsely modest or anything similar, as
      >he had sat for years at the feet of Sri Aurobindo,
      >Ramana Maharshi, and Swami Sivananda and I think he
      >simply felt himself to be a vehicle and not a driver,
      >or some such analogy. And similarly, the Dalai Lama
      >often has described himself as just being a simple monk,
      >after spending years studying under the very best and
      >enlightened teachers that Tibet had to offer. In any event,
      >when I see Him, I witness my mind chatter stopping
      >and my face and heart smiling, and I'm glad He's still
      >available.

      I'm glad he's around too -- and I
      think his modesty is as entirely
      sincere and appropriate as his
      personal charisma is palpably,
      chatter-stoppingly beautiful. As
      for Swamiji, the "not a driver"
      observation you note is something
      all realizers essentially have in
      common, whether they're seen as
      "giants" by others or not. As
      Jodyji might put it, we're all
      marionettes on Ma's strings, the
      key distinction of the realized
      being an ongoing awareness of the
      "non-doer" status of all that is
      incarnated or otherwise manifest.
    • blueoceantiger
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
        <editor@j...> wrote:

        > medit8ionsociety wrote:
        >
        > >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr"
        > ><jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
        > >

        > >>--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen

        > >"thinskinnybones"

        > >>Thanks, Bruceji.
        > >>
        > >>I'm having some trouble finding direct references to
        > >>the idea of spiritual occlusion, outside of what I
        > >>originally picked up from you. We may be out on a limb
        > >>with this one, more so than I anticipated, now that
        > >>I'm trying to write a book about it.
        > >>

        > >Yo Sri Jodyji and Sri Bruceji,
        > >Like with most things I encounter in this incarnation,
        > >I'm not 100% certain...of what you mean by "spiritual
        > >occlusion", but I tend to think you mean things that
        > >are obstacles to the direct experience of Truth/Reality/
        > >Enlightenment/etc. And I think that if this is so,
        > >there can never be a definite statement made in words
        > >on paper or pixel or whatever. Perhaps we can only
        > >state possibilities...like this formula points to:
        > >
        > >Every (spiritual) belief has an
        > >opposite dis-belief = occlusion.
        > >Every experience has the potential to be hallucinatory
        > >in nature – or real = possibly non-occlusive.
        > >
        > >But getting back to the Dalai Lama, when he made the
        > >"I'm not Enlightened" statement, he was smiling and
        > >joyous, so I too question his seriousness about the
        > >statement. Now, forgive me for "name dropping", but
        > >I remember one time when Swami Satchidananda replied
        > >to my question about how it felt to be considered a
        > >Guru, he said that he was amazed that here in America
        > >he was considered a (spiritual) giant, but in India,
        > >he know he wasn't even worthy to be the dust under the
        > >feet of the true giants. I think that in his own eyes,
        > >he wasn't being falsely modest or anything similar, as
        > >he had sat for years at the feet of Sri Aurobindo,
        > >Ramana Maharshi, and Swami Sivananda and I think he
        > >simply felt himself to be a vehicle and not a driver,
        > >or some such analogy. And similarly, the Dalai Lama
        > >often has described himself as just being a simple monk,
        > >after spending years studying under the very best and
        > >enlightened teachers that Tibet had to offer. In any event,
        > >when I see Him, I witness my mind chatter stopping
        > >and my face and heart smiling, and I'm glad He's still
        > >available.
        > >

        > I'm glad he's around too -- and I
        > think his modesty is as entirely
        > sincere and appropriate as his
        > personal charisma is palpably,
        > chatter-stoppingly beautiful. As
        > for Swamiji, the "not a driver"
        > observation you note is something
        > all realizers essentially have in
        > common, whether they're seen as
        > "giants" by others or not. As
        > Jodyji might put it, we're all
        > marionettes on Ma's strings, the
        > key distinction of the realized
        > being an ongoing awareness of the
        > "non-doer" status of all that is
        > incarnated or otherwise manifest.

        there are several aspects that all connect
        to the dalai lama, the experiences people
        have or don't have about him, and the
        function of the dalai lama or any public
        figure or being.

        in my own experience he represents
        kindness and has been an active component
        in the collaboration between entirely
        different religious groups. perhaps
        there will not be integration between
        fundamentalists but every person that
        serves to include and relate between
        different perspectives adds to the whole.

        having sat with him in a very large venue and
        in a far more intimate setting, what i found
        was someone who is both himself, as well as
        seeming to have an emptiness, in that a role
        is being played but he does not take it
        personally. like being an archetype. a cultural
        symbol.

        in my experience each person has a different
        aspect of consciousness to share, or as some
        say flavour, fragrance or essence. what he
        models for me is a sense of simplicity, open
        hearted humour and humility as others have
        mentioned.

        from my perspective such qualities do not
        occlude but serve to increase openness
        and perhaps increase tolerance around the
        world. without tolerance for differences,
        there is mainly suffering and war. each
        person has their own unique path and there
        is room for many different ways to call
        each being into greater awareness. otherwise,
        all we end up with is fundamentalism.

        as far as enlightenment, many who are awake
        state they cannot claim this for themselves.
        it is rather an awareness of what is.

        --josie--
      • jogeshwarmahanta
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
          Dear friends,
          Namaskar.

          I wonder, why there is no mention of Dalai Lama's recent historical
          contribution to neuroscience, that is, Nuroplasticity. He inagurated
          the Society for Neuroscience conference on November 12,2005 attended
          by some 14000 brain scientists.

          regards,
          Jogeshwar

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "blueoceantiger"
          <jkane@d...> wrote:

> [...]
          > is being played but he does not take it
          > personally. like being an archetype. a cultural
          > symbol.
          >
          > in my experience each person has a different
          > aspect of consciousness to share, or as some
          > say flavour, fragrance or essence. what he
          > models for me is a sense of simplicity, open
          > hearted humour and humility as others have
          > mentioned.
          >
          > from my perspective such qualities do not
          > occlude but serve to increase openness
          > and perhaps increase tolerance around the
          > world. without tolerance for differences,
          > there is mainly suffering and war. each
          > person has their own unique path and there
          > is room for many different ways to call
          > each being into greater awareness. otherwise,
          > all we end up with is fundamentalism.
          >
          > as far as enlightenment, many who are awake
          > state they cannot claim this for themselves.

        • Durga
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 22, 2005
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "blueoceantiger"
            <jkane@d...> wrote:
            snip

            > as far as enlightenment, many who are awake
            > state they cannot claim this for themselves.
            > it is rather an awareness of what is.
            >
            > --josie--

            I've never seen a Tibetan teacher yet, who *did* say
            that s/he was 'enlightened.' It's not the done thing
            in that tradition. They will praise their own teacher,
            heaping superlatives upon their own guru, while saying
            that they themselves have no understanding at all.
            I've seen this over and over again.

            Also, I believe, that within the Tibetan tradition,
            'enlightenment' is seen in some ways as gradual, which might
            perhaps correspond somewhat to the Vedantic teaching of Self-
            knowledge with pratibhandika's, that is Self-knowledge with
            obstructions, such obstructions having more to do with past
            mental conditioning which are still causing pain in the mind,
            and having nothing at all to do with the actual 'recognition'
            of the Self. (But I'm not really familiar enough with the
            teachings of Tibetan Buddhism to say that for certain).

            I once heard a Tibetan lama, whom I thought was a wonderful
            teacher, with much insight, refer to himself as a 'just small
            piece of pony poop.' So, I think that the practice of modesty
            and self-effacement is totally in keeping with their tradition.
            And I do think that HH was kidding when he gave his reasons
            for not being 'enlightened.' He does have a very good
            sense of humor, and he likes to laugh a lot.--Durga
          • vishal pandya
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 27, 2006
              Dear all,

              i got that all the people who is enlighted are not having a some
              diffrence to find for a normal perso.

              for that you have to be with him just observe him and if you can do
              this u also find that be witness state is coming in yourself directly.
              i am not saying just by theory as i had a opportunity to live with
              enlighted person and after those days i feel that i am changed in all
              aspects.

              i am with siddhyogi shri vibhakarji. he is also able to grace
              kundalini shaktipat.
              and gracing many people in his camps of dhyana- yoga ( meditation - yoga ).

              you can contact his site for more details www.siddhyog.org

              thanks