Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: The Dalai Lama on TV Said He's Not Enlightened

  • Bruce Morgen
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
      jodyrrr wrote:

      >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "thinskinnybones"
      ><detsgrizz@a...> wrote:
      >

      >>Jodyrrr is there anything happy about you? You dont seem to like
      >>anyone at all ! Leave the Dalai Lama alone!
      >>

      >If the Dalai Lama is serious about enlightenment
      >being indicated by an ability to see the future,
      >then the guy has his head up his rear.
      >
      >Chances are, he was kidding. At least I hope
      >so.

      The current Dalai Lama has
      always impressed me as a
      charming, sweet-natured
      fellow, a very astute
      political operator, and
      about as authoritative
      with regard to realization
      as most other high-profile
      senior clerics -- iow, on
      a par with a pile of scrap
      iron.

      NNB

      >--- In
      >

      >>meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@y...>
      >>wrote:
      >>

      >>>--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety

      >>>The guy's head is full of occlusing nonsense.
      >>>I kinda feel sorry for him, if he was actually
      >>>being serious.

      >>>One would hope he's kidding about the "tell the
      >>>future" thing.

    • jodyrrr
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
        <editor@j...> wrote:

        > jodyrrr wrote:
        >
        > >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "thinskinnybones"
        > ><detsgrizz@a...> wrote:
        > >

        > >>Jodyrrr is there anything happy about you? You dont seem to like
        > >>anyone at all ! Leave the Dalai Lama alone!
        > >>

        > >If the Dalai Lama is serious about enlightenment
        > >being indicated by an ability to see the future,
        > >then the guy has his head up his rear.
        > >
        > >Chances are, he was kidding. At least I hope
        > >so.
        > >

        > The current Dalai Lama has
        > always impressed me as a
        > charming, sweet-natured
        > fellow, a very astute
        > political operator, and
        > about as authoritative
        > with regard to realization
        > as most other high-profile
        > senior clerics -- iow, on
        > a par with a pile of scrap
        > iron.

        And yet he is held up as an example of enlightenment
        for us all. God is one twisted Bitch, that's all I
        can say about it.
      • Bruce Morgen
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
          jodyrrr wrote:

          >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
          ><editor@j...> wrote:
          >

          >>jodyrrr wrote:
          >>

          >>>--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "thinskinnybones"

          >>>If the Dalai Lama is serious about enlightenment
          >>>being indicated by an ability to see the future,
          >>>then the guy has his head up his rear.
          >>>
          >>>Chances are, he was kidding. At least I hope
          >>>so.
          >>>

          >>The current Dalai Lama has
          >>always impressed me as a
          >>charming, sweet-natured
          >>fellow, a very astute
          >>political operator, and
          >>about as authoritative
          >>with regard to realization
          >>as most other high-profile
          >>senior clerics -- iow, on
          >>a par with a pile of scrap
          >>iron.
          >>

          >And yet he is held up as an example of enlightenment
          >for us all. God is one twisted Bitch, that's all I
          >can say about it.

          No doubt about that, which is
          why your personal (dare I say?)
          crusade against the occlusive
          aspects of spear-chill culture
          his considerable merit imo!
        • Bruce Morgen
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
            jodyrrr wrote:

            >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
            ><editor@j...> wrote:
            >

            >>jodyrrr wrote:
            >>

            >>>--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "thinskinnybones"

            >>>If the Dalai Lama is serious about enlightenment
            >>>being indicated by an ability to see the future,
            >>>then the guy has his head up his rear.
            >>>
            >>>Chances are, he was kidding. At least I hope
            >>>so.
            >>>

            >>The current Dalai Lama has
            >>always impressed me as a
            >>charming, sweet-natured
            >>fellow, a very astute
            >>political operator, and
            >>about as authoritative
            >>with regard to realization
            >>as most other high-profile
            >>senior clerics -- iow, on
            >>a par with a pile of scrap
            >>iron.
            >>

            >And yet he is held up as an example of enlightenment
            >for us all. God is one twisted Bitch, that's all I
            >can say about it.

            No doubt about that, which is
            why your personal (dare I say?)
            crusade against the occlusive
            aspects of spear-chill culture
            has considerable merit imo!
          • jodyrrr
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
              <editor@j...> wrote:

              > jodyrrr wrote:
              >
              > >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
              > ><editor@j...> wrote:

              > >>The current Dalai Lama has
              > >>always impressed me as a
              > >>charming, sweet-natured
              > >>fellow, a very astute
              > >>political operator, and
              > >>about as authoritative
              > >>with regard to realization
              > >>as most other high-profile
              > >>senior clerics -- iow, on
              > >>a par with a pile of scrap
              > >>iron.
              > >>

              > >And yet he is held up as an example of enlightenment
              > >for us all. God is one twisted Bitch, that's all I
              > >can say about it.
              > >
              > No doubt about that, which is
              > why your personal (dare I say?)
              > crusade against the occlusive
              > aspects of spear-chill culture
              > has considerable merit imo!

              Thanks, Bruceji.

              I'm having some trouble finding direct references to
              the idea of spiritual occlusion, outside of what I
              originally picked up from you. We may be out on a limb
              with this one, more so than I anticipated, now that
              I'm trying to write a book about it.
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
                <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:

                > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
                > <editor@j...> wrote:
                > >
                > > jodyrrr wrote:
                > >
                > > >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen

                > > >And yet he is held up as an example of enlightenment
                > > >for us all. God is one twisted Bitch, that's all I
                > > >can say about it.
                > > >
                > > No doubt about that, which is
                > > why your personal (dare I say?)
                > > crusade against the occlusive
                > > aspects of spear-chill culture
                > > has considerable merit imo!
                >
                > Thanks, Bruceji.
                >
                > I'm having some trouble finding direct references to
                > the idea of spiritual occlusion, outside of what I
                > originally picked up from you. We may be out on a limb
                > with this one, more so than I anticipated, now that
                > I'm trying to write a book about it.

                Yo Sri Jodyji and Sri Bruceji,
                Like with most things I encounter in this incarnation,
                I'm not 100% certain...of what you mean by "spiritual
                occlusion", but I tend to think you mean things that
                are obstacles to the direct experience of Truth/Reality/
                Enlightenment/etc. And I think that if this is so,
                there can never be a definite statement made in words
                on paper or pixel or whatever. Perhaps we can only
                state possibilities...like this formula points to:

                Every (spiritual) belief has an
                opposite dis-belief = occlusion.
                Every experience has the potential to be hallucinatory
                in nature – or real = possibly non-occlusive.

                But getting back to the Dalai Lama, when he made the
                "I'm not Enlightened" statement, he was smiling and
                joyous, so I too question his seriousness about the
                statement. Now, forgive me for "name dropping", but
                I remember one time when Swami Satchidananda replied
                to my question about how it felt to be considered a
                Guru, he said that he was amazed that here in America
                he was considered a (spiritual) giant, but in India,
                he know he wasn't even worthy to be the dust under the
                feet of the true giants. I think that in his own eyes,
                he wasn't being falsely modest or anything similar, as
                he had sat for years at the feet of Sri Aurobindo,
                Ramana Maharshi, and Swami Sivananda and I think he
                simply felt himself to be a vehicle and not a driver,
                or some such analogy. And similarly, the Dalai Lama
                often has described himself as just being a simple monk,
                after spending years studying under the very best and
                enlightened teachers that Tibet had to offer. In any event,
                when I see Him, I witness my mind chatter stopping
                and my face and heart smiling, and I'm glad He's still
                available.
              • Bruce Morgen
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
                  medit8ionsociety wrote:

                  >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr"
                  ><jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                  >

                  >>--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
                  >><editor@j...> wrote:

                  >"thinskinnybones"

                  >>>No doubt about that, which is
                  >>>why your personal (dare I say?)
                  >>>crusade against the occlusive
                  >>>aspects of spear-chill culture
                  >>>has considerable merit imo!
                  >>>

                  >>Thanks, Bruceji.
                  >>
                  >>I'm having some trouble finding direct references to
                  >>the idea of spiritual occlusion, outside of what I
                  >>originally picked up from you. We may be out on a limb
                  >>with this one, more so than I anticipated, now that
                  >>I'm trying to write a book about it.
                  >>

                  >Yo Sri Jodyji and Sri Bruceji,
                  >Like with most things I encounter in this incarnation,
                  >I'm not 100% certain...of what you mean by "spiritual
                  >occlusion", but I tend to think you mean things that
                  >are obstacles to the direct experience of Truth/Reality/
                  >Enlightenment/etc. And I think that if this is so,
                  >there can never be a definite statement made in words
                  >on paper or pixel or whatever. Perhaps we can only
                  >state possibilities...like this formula points to:
                  >
                  >Every (spiritual) belief has an
                  >opposite dis-belief = occlusion.
                  >Every experience has the potential to be hallucinatory
                  >in nature – or real = possibly non-occlusive.
                  >
                  >But getting back to the Dalai Lama, when he made the
                  >"I'm not Enlightened" statement, he was smiling and
                  >joyous, so I too question his seriousness about the
                  >statement. Now, forgive me for "name dropping", but
                  >I remember one time when Swami Satchidananda replied
                  >to my question about how it felt to be considered a
                  >Guru, he said that he was amazed that here in America
                  >he was considered a (spiritual) giant, but in India,
                  >he know he wasn't even worthy to be the dust under the
                  >feet of the true giants. I think that in his own eyes,
                  >he wasn't being falsely modest or anything similar, as
                  >he had sat for years at the feet of Sri Aurobindo,
                  >Ramana Maharshi, and Swami Sivananda and I think he
                  >simply felt himself to be a vehicle and not a driver,
                  >or some such analogy. And similarly, the Dalai Lama
                  >often has described himself as just being a simple monk,
                  >after spending years studying under the very best and
                  >enlightened teachers that Tibet had to offer. In any event,
                  >when I see Him, I witness my mind chatter stopping
                  >and my face and heart smiling, and I'm glad He's still
                  >available.

                  I'm glad he's around too -- and I
                  think his modesty is as entirely
                  sincere and appropriate as his
                  personal charisma is palpably,
                  chatter-stoppingly beautiful. As
                  for Swamiji, the "not a driver"
                  observation you note is something
                  all realizers essentially have in
                  common, whether they're seen as
                  "giants" by others or not. As
                  Jodyji might put it, we're all
                  marionettes on Ma's strings, the
                  key distinction of the realized
                  being an ongoing awareness of the
                  "non-doer" status of all that is
                  incarnated or otherwise manifest.
                • blueoceantiger
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
                    <editor@j...> wrote:

                    > medit8ionsociety wrote:
                    >
                    > >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr"
                    > ><jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > >>--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen

                    > >"thinskinnybones"

                    > >>Thanks, Bruceji.
                    > >>
                    > >>I'm having some trouble finding direct references to
                    > >>the idea of spiritual occlusion, outside of what I
                    > >>originally picked up from you. We may be out on a limb
                    > >>with this one, more so than I anticipated, now that
                    > >>I'm trying to write a book about it.
                    > >>

                    > >Yo Sri Jodyji and Sri Bruceji,
                    > >Like with most things I encounter in this incarnation,
                    > >I'm not 100% certain...of what you mean by "spiritual
                    > >occlusion", but I tend to think you mean things that
                    > >are obstacles to the direct experience of Truth/Reality/
                    > >Enlightenment/etc. And I think that if this is so,
                    > >there can never be a definite statement made in words
                    > >on paper or pixel or whatever. Perhaps we can only
                    > >state possibilities...like this formula points to:
                    > >
                    > >Every (spiritual) belief has an
                    > >opposite dis-belief = occlusion.
                    > >Every experience has the potential to be hallucinatory
                    > >in nature – or real = possibly non-occlusive.
                    > >
                    > >But getting back to the Dalai Lama, when he made the
                    > >"I'm not Enlightened" statement, he was smiling and
                    > >joyous, so I too question his seriousness about the
                    > >statement. Now, forgive me for "name dropping", but
                    > >I remember one time when Swami Satchidananda replied
                    > >to my question about how it felt to be considered a
                    > >Guru, he said that he was amazed that here in America
                    > >he was considered a (spiritual) giant, but in India,
                    > >he know he wasn't even worthy to be the dust under the
                    > >feet of the true giants. I think that in his own eyes,
                    > >he wasn't being falsely modest or anything similar, as
                    > >he had sat for years at the feet of Sri Aurobindo,
                    > >Ramana Maharshi, and Swami Sivananda and I think he
                    > >simply felt himself to be a vehicle and not a driver,
                    > >or some such analogy. And similarly, the Dalai Lama
                    > >often has described himself as just being a simple monk,
                    > >after spending years studying under the very best and
                    > >enlightened teachers that Tibet had to offer. In any event,
                    > >when I see Him, I witness my mind chatter stopping
                    > >and my face and heart smiling, and I'm glad He's still
                    > >available.
                    > >

                    > I'm glad he's around too -- and I
                    > think his modesty is as entirely
                    > sincere and appropriate as his
                    > personal charisma is palpably,
                    > chatter-stoppingly beautiful. As
                    > for Swamiji, the "not a driver"
                    > observation you note is something
                    > all realizers essentially have in
                    > common, whether they're seen as
                    > "giants" by others or not. As
                    > Jodyji might put it, we're all
                    > marionettes on Ma's strings, the
                    > key distinction of the realized
                    > being an ongoing awareness of the
                    > "non-doer" status of all that is
                    > incarnated or otherwise manifest.

                    there are several aspects that all connect
                    to the dalai lama, the experiences people
                    have or don't have about him, and the
                    function of the dalai lama or any public
                    figure or being.

                    in my own experience he represents
                    kindness and has been an active component
                    in the collaboration between entirely
                    different religious groups. perhaps
                    there will not be integration between
                    fundamentalists but every person that
                    serves to include and relate between
                    different perspectives adds to the whole.

                    having sat with him in a very large venue and
                    in a far more intimate setting, what i found
                    was someone who is both himself, as well as
                    seeming to have an emptiness, in that a role
                    is being played but he does not take it
                    personally. like being an archetype. a cultural
                    symbol.

                    in my experience each person has a different
                    aspect of consciousness to share, or as some
                    say flavour, fragrance or essence. what he
                    models for me is a sense of simplicity, open
                    hearted humour and humility as others have
                    mentioned.

                    from my perspective such qualities do not
                    occlude but serve to increase openness
                    and perhaps increase tolerance around the
                    world. without tolerance for differences,
                    there is mainly suffering and war. each
                    person has their own unique path and there
                    is room for many different ways to call
                    each being into greater awareness. otherwise,
                    all we end up with is fundamentalism.

                    as far as enlightenment, many who are awake
                    state they cannot claim this for themselves.
                    it is rather an awareness of what is.

                    --josie--
                  • jogeshwarmahanta
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
                      Dear friends,
                      Namaskar.

                      I wonder, why there is no mention of Dalai Lama's recent historical
                      contribution to neuroscience, that is, Nuroplasticity. He inagurated
                      the Society for Neuroscience conference on November 12,2005 attended
                      by some 14000 brain scientists.

                      regards,
                      Jogeshwar

                      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "blueoceantiger"
                      <jkane@d...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > is being played but he does not take it
                      > personally. like being an archetype. a cultural
                      > symbol.
                      >
                      > in my experience each person has a different
                      > aspect of consciousness to share, or as some
                      > say flavour, fragrance or essence. what he
                      > models for me is a sense of simplicity, open
                      > hearted humour and humility as others have
                      > mentioned.
                      >
                      > from my perspective such qualities do not
                      > occlude but serve to increase openness
                      > and perhaps increase tolerance around the
                      > world. without tolerance for differences,
                      > there is mainly suffering and war. each
                      > person has their own unique path and there
                      > is room for many different ways to call
                      > each being into greater awareness. otherwise,
                      > all we end up with is fundamentalism.
                      >
                      > as far as enlightenment, many who are awake
                      > state they cannot claim this for themselves.

                    • Durga
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 22, 2005
                        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "blueoceantiger"
                        <jkane@d...> wrote:
                        snip

                        > as far as enlightenment, many who are awake
                        > state they cannot claim this for themselves.
                        > it is rather an awareness of what is.
                        >
                        > --josie--

                        I've never seen a Tibetan teacher yet, who *did* say
                        that s/he was 'enlightened.' It's not the done thing
                        in that tradition. They will praise their own teacher,
                        heaping superlatives upon their own guru, while saying
                        that they themselves have no understanding at all.
                        I've seen this over and over again.

                        Also, I believe, that within the Tibetan tradition,
                        'enlightenment' is seen in some ways as gradual, which might
                        perhaps correspond somewhat to the Vedantic teaching of Self-
                        knowledge with pratibhandika's, that is Self-knowledge with
                        obstructions, such obstructions having more to do with past
                        mental conditioning which are still causing pain in the mind,
                        and having nothing at all to do with the actual 'recognition'
                        of the Self. (But I'm not really familiar enough with the
                        teachings of Tibetan Buddhism to say that for certain).

                        I once heard a Tibetan lama, whom I thought was a wonderful
                        teacher, with much insight, refer to himself as a 'just small
                        piece of pony poop.' So, I think that the practice of modesty
                        and self-effacement is totally in keeping with their tradition.
                        And I do think that HH was kidding when he gave his reasons
                        for not being 'enlightened.' He does have a very good
                        sense of humor, and he likes to laugh a lot.--Durga
                      • vishal pandya
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 27, 2006
                          Dear all,

                          i got that all the people who is enlighted are not having a some
                          diffrence to find for a normal perso.

                          for that you have to be with him just observe him and if you can do
                          this u also find that be witness state is coming in yourself directly.
                          i am not saying just by theory as i had a opportunity to live with
                          enlighted person and after those days i feel that i am changed in all
                          aspects.

                          i am with siddhyogi shri vibhakarji. he is also able to grace
                          kundalini shaktipat.
                          and gracing many people in his camps of dhyana- yoga ( meditation - yoga ).

                          you can contact his site for more details www.siddhyog.org

                          thanks