Re: The Dalai Lama on TV Said He's Not Enlightened

  • jodyrrr
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Barbara Walters interviewed the Dalai Lama on
      > her show about Heaven last night and He claimed
      > he wasn't enlightened. He pointed to an eye
      > infection/problem he was having as proof of
      > this. He also said He could not be Enlightened
      > because he couldn't remember the past accurately
      > or tell the future.

      The guy's head is full of occlusing nonsense.
      I kinda feel sorry for him, if he was actually
      being serious.

      > Later in the show he rubbed noses
      > with Barbara to demonstrate how some cultures
      > practice kissing and then burst out laughing in a way
      > that reminded me of the many moments of sheer glee
      > and fun that (of all my aquantices) in her purity only
      > my 2 year old grandaughter displays.
      > To me this showed that it's likely that the Dalai Lama
      > has more than just the crutial component of Enlightenment
      > which is compassion, but also has the humility that goes with
      > being a truly well-balanced Buddha. And also that to be
      > "just a man", as He put it, He is playing down His own
      > Enlightenment to show all of us that we too can achieve
      > what He has, however you lable/define that holy state.
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob

      One would hope he's kidding about the "tell the
      future" thing.
    • thinskinnybones
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
        Jodyrrr is there anything happy about you? You dont seem to like
        anyone at all ! Leave the Dalai Lama alone!--- In
        meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@y...>
        wrote:

        > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Barbara Walters interviewed the Dalai Lama on
        > > her show about Heaven last night and He claimed
        > > he wasn't enlightened. He pointed to an eye
        > > infection/problem he was having as proof of
        > > this. He also said He could not be Enlightened
        > > because he couldn't remember the past accurately
        > > or tell the future.
        >
        > The guy's head is full of occlusing nonsense.
        > I kinda feel sorry for him, if he was actually
        > being serious.
        >
        > > Later in the show he rubbed noses
        > > with Barbara to demonstrate how some cultures
        > > practice kissing and then burst out laughing in a way
        > > that reminded me of the many moments of sheer glee
        > > and fun that (of all my aquantices) in her purity only
        > > my 2 year old grandaughter displays.
        > > To me this showed that it's likely that the Dalai Lama
        > > has more than just the crutial component of Enlightenment
        > > which is compassion, but also has the humility that goes with
        > > being a truly well-balanced Buddha. And also that to be
        > > "just a man", as He put it, He is playing down His own
        > > Enlightenment to show all of us that we too can achieve
        > > what He has, however you lable/define that holy state.
        > > Peace and blessings,
        > > Bob
        >
        > One would hope he's kidding about the "tell the
        > future" thing.

      • jodyrrr
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "thinskinnybones"
          <detsgrizz@a...> wrote:

          > Jodyrrr is there anything happy about you? You dont seem to like
          > anyone at all ! Leave the Dalai Lama alone!

          If the Dalai Lama is serious about enlightenment
          being indicated by an ability to see the future,
          then the guy has his head up his rear.

          Chances are, he was kidding. At least I hope
          so.

          --- In
          > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety
          > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Barbara Walters interviewed the Dalai Lama on
          > > > her show about Heaven last night and He claimed
          > > > he wasn't enlightened. He pointed to an eye
          > > > infection/problem he was having as proof of
          > > > this. He also said He could not be Enlightened
          > > > because he couldn't remember the past accurately
          > > > or tell the future.
          > >
          > > The guy's head is full of occlusing nonsense.
          > > I kinda feel sorry for him, if he was actually
          > > being serious.
          > >
          > > > Later in the show he rubbed noses
          > > > with Barbara to demonstrate how some cultures
          > > > practice kissing and then burst out laughing in a way
          > > > that reminded me of the many moments of sheer glee
          > > > and fun that (of all my aquantices) in her purity only
          > > > my 2 year old grandaughter displays.
          > > > To me this showed that it's likely that the Dalai Lama
          > > > has more than just the crutial component of Enlightenment
          > > > which is compassion, but also has the humility that goes with
          > > > being a truly well-balanced Buddha. And also that to be
          > > > "just a man", as He put it, He is playing down His own
          > > > Enlightenment to show all of us that we too can achieve
          > > > what He has, however you lable/define that holy state.
          > > > Peace and blessings,
          > > > Bob
          > >
          > > One would hope he's kidding about the "tell the
          > > future" thing.

        • Bruce Morgen
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
            jodyrrr wrote:

            >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "thinskinnybones"
            ><detsgrizz@a...> wrote:
            >

            >>Jodyrrr is there anything happy about you? You dont seem to like
            >>anyone at all ! Leave the Dalai Lama alone!
            >>

            >If the Dalai Lama is serious about enlightenment
            >being indicated by an ability to see the future,
            >then the guy has his head up his rear.
            >
            >Chances are, he was kidding. At least I hope
            >so.

            The current Dalai Lama has
            always impressed me as a
            charming, sweet-natured
            fellow, a very astute
            political operator, and
            about as authoritative
            with regard to realization
            as most other high-profile
            senior clerics -- iow, on
            a par with a pile of scrap
            iron.

            NNB

            >--- In
            >

            >>meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@y...>
            >>wrote:
            >>

            >>>--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety

            >>>The guy's head is full of occlusing nonsense.
            >>>I kinda feel sorry for him, if he was actually
            >>>being serious.

            >>>One would hope he's kidding about the "tell the
            >>>future" thing.

          • jodyrrr
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
              <editor@j...> wrote:

              > jodyrrr wrote:
              >
              > >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "thinskinnybones"
              > ><detsgrizz@a...> wrote:
              > >

              > >>Jodyrrr is there anything happy about you? You dont seem to like
              > >>anyone at all ! Leave the Dalai Lama alone!
              > >>

              > >If the Dalai Lama is serious about enlightenment
              > >being indicated by an ability to see the future,
              > >then the guy has his head up his rear.
              > >
              > >Chances are, he was kidding. At least I hope
              > >so.
              > >

              > The current Dalai Lama has
              > always impressed me as a
              > charming, sweet-natured
              > fellow, a very astute
              > political operator, and
              > about as authoritative
              > with regard to realization
              > as most other high-profile
              > senior clerics -- iow, on
              > a par with a pile of scrap
              > iron.

              And yet he is held up as an example of enlightenment
              for us all. God is one twisted Bitch, that's all I
              can say about it.
            • Bruce Morgen
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
                jodyrrr wrote:

                >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
                ><editor@j...> wrote:
                >

                >>jodyrrr wrote:
                >>

                >>>--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "thinskinnybones"

                >>>If the Dalai Lama is serious about enlightenment
                >>>being indicated by an ability to see the future,
                >>>then the guy has his head up his rear.
                >>>
                >>>Chances are, he was kidding. At least I hope
                >>>so.
                >>>

                >>The current Dalai Lama has
                >>always impressed me as a
                >>charming, sweet-natured
                >>fellow, a very astute
                >>political operator, and
                >>about as authoritative
                >>with regard to realization
                >>as most other high-profile
                >>senior clerics -- iow, on
                >>a par with a pile of scrap
                >>iron.
                >>

                >And yet he is held up as an example of enlightenment
                >for us all. God is one twisted Bitch, that's all I
                >can say about it.

                No doubt about that, which is
                why your personal (dare I say?)
                crusade against the occlusive
                aspects of spear-chill culture
                his considerable merit imo!
              • Bruce Morgen
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
                  jodyrrr wrote:

                  >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
                  ><editor@j...> wrote:
                  >

                  >>jodyrrr wrote:
                  >>

                  >>>--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "thinskinnybones"

                  >>>If the Dalai Lama is serious about enlightenment
                  >>>being indicated by an ability to see the future,
                  >>>then the guy has his head up his rear.
                  >>>
                  >>>Chances are, he was kidding. At least I hope
                  >>>so.
                  >>>

                  >>The current Dalai Lama has
                  >>always impressed me as a
                  >>charming, sweet-natured
                  >>fellow, a very astute
                  >>political operator, and
                  >>about as authoritative
                  >>with regard to realization
                  >>as most other high-profile
                  >>senior clerics -- iow, on
                  >>a par with a pile of scrap
                  >>iron.
                  >>

                  >And yet he is held up as an example of enlightenment
                  >for us all. God is one twisted Bitch, that's all I
                  >can say about it.

                  No doubt about that, which is
                  why your personal (dare I say?)
                  crusade against the occlusive
                  aspects of spear-chill culture
                  has considerable merit imo!
                • jodyrrr
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
                    <editor@j...> wrote:

                    > jodyrrr wrote:
                    >
                    > >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
                    > ><editor@j...> wrote:

                    > >>The current Dalai Lama has
                    > >>always impressed me as a
                    > >>charming, sweet-natured
                    > >>fellow, a very astute
                    > >>political operator, and
                    > >>about as authoritative
                    > >>with regard to realization
                    > >>as most other high-profile
                    > >>senior clerics -- iow, on
                    > >>a par with a pile of scrap
                    > >>iron.
                    > >>

                    > >And yet he is held up as an example of enlightenment
                    > >for us all. God is one twisted Bitch, that's all I
                    > >can say about it.
                    > >
                    > No doubt about that, which is
                    > why your personal (dare I say?)
                    > crusade against the occlusive
                    > aspects of spear-chill culture
                    > has considerable merit imo!

                    Thanks, Bruceji.

                    I'm having some trouble finding direct references to
                    the idea of spiritual occlusion, outside of what I
                    originally picked up from you. We may be out on a limb
                    with this one, more so than I anticipated, now that
                    I'm trying to write a book about it.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
                      <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:

                      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
                      > <editor@j...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > jodyrrr wrote:
                      > >
                      > > >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen

                      > > >And yet he is held up as an example of enlightenment
                      > > >for us all. God is one twisted Bitch, that's all I
                      > > >can say about it.
                      > > >
                      > > No doubt about that, which is
                      > > why your personal (dare I say?)
                      > > crusade against the occlusive
                      > > aspects of spear-chill culture
                      > > has considerable merit imo!
                      >
                      > Thanks, Bruceji.
                      >
                      > I'm having some trouble finding direct references to
                      > the idea of spiritual occlusion, outside of what I
                      > originally picked up from you. We may be out on a limb
                      > with this one, more so than I anticipated, now that
                      > I'm trying to write a book about it.

                      Yo Sri Jodyji and Sri Bruceji,
                      Like with most things I encounter in this incarnation,
                      I'm not 100% certain...of what you mean by "spiritual
                      occlusion", but I tend to think you mean things that
                      are obstacles to the direct experience of Truth/Reality/
                      Enlightenment/etc. And I think that if this is so,
                      there can never be a definite statement made in words
                      on paper or pixel or whatever. Perhaps we can only
                      state possibilities...like this formula points to:

                      Every (spiritual) belief has an
                      opposite dis-belief = occlusion.
                      Every experience has the potential to be hallucinatory
                      in nature – or real = possibly non-occlusive.

                      But getting back to the Dalai Lama, when he made the
                      "I'm not Enlightened" statement, he was smiling and
                      joyous, so I too question his seriousness about the
                      statement. Now, forgive me for "name dropping", but
                      I remember one time when Swami Satchidananda replied
                      to my question about how it felt to be considered a
                      Guru, he said that he was amazed that here in America
                      he was considered a (spiritual) giant, but in India,
                      he know he wasn't even worthy to be the dust under the
                      feet of the true giants. I think that in his own eyes,
                      he wasn't being falsely modest or anything similar, as
                      he had sat for years at the feet of Sri Aurobindo,
                      Ramana Maharshi, and Swami Sivananda and I think he
                      simply felt himself to be a vehicle and not a driver,
                      or some such analogy. And similarly, the Dalai Lama
                      often has described himself as just being a simple monk,
                      after spending years studying under the very best and
                      enlightened teachers that Tibet had to offer. In any event,
                      when I see Him, I witness my mind chatter stopping
                      and my face and heart smiling, and I'm glad He's still
                      available.
                    • Bruce Morgen
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
                        medit8ionsociety wrote:

                        >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr"
                        ><jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                        >

                        >>--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen
                        >><editor@j...> wrote:

                        >"thinskinnybones"

                        >>>No doubt about that, which is
                        >>>why your personal (dare I say?)
                        >>>crusade against the occlusive
                        >>>aspects of spear-chill culture
                        >>>has considerable merit imo!
                        >>>

                        >>Thanks, Bruceji.
                        >>
                        >>I'm having some trouble finding direct references to
                        >>the idea of spiritual occlusion, outside of what I
                        >>originally picked up from you. We may be out on a limb
                        >>with this one, more so than I anticipated, now that
                        >>I'm trying to write a book about it.
                        >>

                        >Yo Sri Jodyji and Sri Bruceji,
                        >Like with most things I encounter in this incarnation,
                        >I'm not 100% certain...of what you mean by "spiritual
                        >occlusion", but I tend to think you mean things that
                        >are obstacles to the direct experience of Truth/Reality/
                        >Enlightenment/etc. And I think that if this is so,
                        >there can never be a definite statement made in words
                        >on paper or pixel or whatever. Perhaps we can only
                        >state possibilities...like this formula points to:
                        >
                        >Every (spiritual) belief has an
                        >opposite dis-belief = occlusion.
                        >Every experience has the potential to be hallucinatory
                        >in nature – or real = possibly non-occlusive.
                        >
                        >But getting back to the Dalai Lama, when he made the
                        >"I'm not Enlightened" statement, he was smiling and
                        >joyous, so I too question his seriousness about the
                        >statement. Now, forgive me for "name dropping", but
                        >I remember one time when Swami Satchidananda replied
                        >to my question about how it felt to be considered a
                        >Guru, he said that he was amazed that here in America
                        >he was considered a (spiritual) giant, but in India,
                        >he know he wasn't even worthy to be the dust under the
                        >feet of the true giants. I think that in his own eyes,
                        >he wasn't being falsely modest or anything similar, as
                        >he had sat for years at the feet of Sri Aurobindo,
                        >Ramana Maharshi, and Swami Sivananda and I think he
                        >simply felt himself to be a vehicle and not a driver,
                        >or some such analogy. And similarly, the Dalai Lama
                        >often has described himself as just being a simple monk,
                        >after spending years studying under the very best and
                        >enlightened teachers that Tibet had to offer. In any event,
                        >when I see Him, I witness my mind chatter stopping
                        >and my face and heart smiling, and I'm glad He's still
                        >available.

                        I'm glad he's around too -- and I
                        think his modesty is as entirely
                        sincere and appropriate as his
                        personal charisma is palpably,
                        chatter-stoppingly beautiful. As
                        for Swamiji, the "not a driver"
                        observation you note is something
                        all realizers essentially have in
                        common, whether they're seen as
                        "giants" by others or not. As
                        Jodyji might put it, we're all
                        marionettes on Ma's strings, the
                        key distinction of the realized
                        being an ongoing awareness of the
                        "non-doer" status of all that is
                        incarnated or otherwise manifest.
                      • blueoceantiger
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
                          <editor@j...> wrote:

                          > medit8ionsociety wrote:
                          >
                          > >--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr"
                          > ><jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > >>--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morgen

                          > >"thinskinnybones"

                          > >>Thanks, Bruceji.
                          > >>
                          > >>I'm having some trouble finding direct references to
                          > >>the idea of spiritual occlusion, outside of what I
                          > >>originally picked up from you. We may be out on a limb
                          > >>with this one, more so than I anticipated, now that
                          > >>I'm trying to write a book about it.
                          > >>

                          > >Yo Sri Jodyji and Sri Bruceji,
                          > >Like with most things I encounter in this incarnation,
                          > >I'm not 100% certain...of what you mean by "spiritual
                          > >occlusion", but I tend to think you mean things that
                          > >are obstacles to the direct experience of Truth/Reality/
                          > >Enlightenment/etc. And I think that if this is so,
                          > >there can never be a definite statement made in words
                          > >on paper or pixel or whatever. Perhaps we can only
                          > >state possibilities...like this formula points to:
                          > >
                          > >Every (spiritual) belief has an
                          > >opposite dis-belief = occlusion.
                          > >Every experience has the potential to be hallucinatory
                          > >in nature – or real = possibly non-occlusive.
                          > >
                          > >But getting back to the Dalai Lama, when he made the
                          > >"I'm not Enlightened" statement, he was smiling and
                          > >joyous, so I too question his seriousness about the
                          > >statement. Now, forgive me for "name dropping", but
                          > >I remember one time when Swami Satchidananda replied
                          > >to my question about how it felt to be considered a
                          > >Guru, he said that he was amazed that here in America
                          > >he was considered a (spiritual) giant, but in India,
                          > >he know he wasn't even worthy to be the dust under the
                          > >feet of the true giants. I think that in his own eyes,
                          > >he wasn't being falsely modest or anything similar, as
                          > >he had sat for years at the feet of Sri Aurobindo,
                          > >Ramana Maharshi, and Swami Sivananda and I think he
                          > >simply felt himself to be a vehicle and not a driver,
                          > >or some such analogy. And similarly, the Dalai Lama
                          > >often has described himself as just being a simple monk,
                          > >after spending years studying under the very best and
                          > >enlightened teachers that Tibet had to offer. In any event,
                          > >when I see Him, I witness my mind chatter stopping
                          > >and my face and heart smiling, and I'm glad He's still
                          > >available.
                          > >

                          > I'm glad he's around too -- and I
                          > think his modesty is as entirely
                          > sincere and appropriate as his
                          > personal charisma is palpably,
                          > chatter-stoppingly beautiful. As
                          > for Swamiji, the "not a driver"
                          > observation you note is something
                          > all realizers essentially have in
                          > common, whether they're seen as
                          > "giants" by others or not. As
                          > Jodyji might put it, we're all
                          > marionettes on Ma's strings, the
                          > key distinction of the realized
                          > being an ongoing awareness of the
                          > "non-doer" status of all that is
                          > incarnated or otherwise manifest.

                          there are several aspects that all connect
                          to the dalai lama, the experiences people
                          have or don't have about him, and the
                          function of the dalai lama or any public
                          figure or being.

                          in my own experience he represents
                          kindness and has been an active component
                          in the collaboration between entirely
                          different religious groups. perhaps
                          there will not be integration between
                          fundamentalists but every person that
                          serves to include and relate between
                          different perspectives adds to the whole.

                          having sat with him in a very large venue and
                          in a far more intimate setting, what i found
                          was someone who is both himself, as well as
                          seeming to have an emptiness, in that a role
                          is being played but he does not take it
                          personally. like being an archetype. a cultural
                          symbol.

                          in my experience each person has a different
                          aspect of consciousness to share, or as some
                          say flavour, fragrance or essence. what he
                          models for me is a sense of simplicity, open
                          hearted humour and humility as others have
                          mentioned.

                          from my perspective such qualities do not
                          occlude but serve to increase openness
                          and perhaps increase tolerance around the
                          world. without tolerance for differences,
                          there is mainly suffering and war. each
                          person has their own unique path and there
                          is room for many different ways to call
                          each being into greater awareness. otherwise,
                          all we end up with is fundamentalism.

                          as far as enlightenment, many who are awake
                          state they cannot claim this for themselves.
                          it is rather an awareness of what is.

                          --josie--
                        • jogeshwarmahanta
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 21, 2005
                            Dear friends,
                            Namaskar.

                            I wonder, why there is no mention of Dalai Lama's recent historical
                            contribution to neuroscience, that is, Nuroplasticity. He inagurated
                            the Society for Neuroscience conference on November 12,2005 attended
                            by some 14000 brain scientists.

                            regards,
                            Jogeshwar

                            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "blueoceantiger"
                            <jkane@d...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > is being played but he does not take it
                            > personally. like being an archetype. a cultural
                            > symbol.
                            >
                            > in my experience each person has a different
                            > aspect of consciousness to share, or as some
                            > say flavour, fragrance or essence. what he
                            > models for me is a sense of simplicity, open
                            > hearted humour and humility as others have
                            > mentioned.
                            >
                            > from my perspective such qualities do not
                            > occlude but serve to increase openness
                            > and perhaps increase tolerance around the
                            > world. without tolerance for differences,
                            > there is mainly suffering and war. each
                            > person has their own unique path and there
                            > is room for many different ways to call
                            > each being into greater awareness. otherwise,
                            > all we end up with is fundamentalism.
                            >
                            > as far as enlightenment, many who are awake
                            > state they cannot claim this for themselves.

                          • Durga
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 22, 2005
                              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "blueoceantiger"
                              <jkane@d...> wrote:
                              snip

                              > as far as enlightenment, many who are awake
                              > state they cannot claim this for themselves.
                              > it is rather an awareness of what is.
                              >
                              > --josie--

                              I've never seen a Tibetan teacher yet, who *did* say
                              that s/he was 'enlightened.' It's not the done thing
                              in that tradition. They will praise their own teacher,
                              heaping superlatives upon their own guru, while saying
                              that they themselves have no understanding at all.
                              I've seen this over and over again.

                              Also, I believe, that within the Tibetan tradition,
                              'enlightenment' is seen in some ways as gradual, which might
                              perhaps correspond somewhat to the Vedantic teaching of Self-
                              knowledge with pratibhandika's, that is Self-knowledge with
                              obstructions, such obstructions having more to do with past
                              mental conditioning which are still causing pain in the mind,
                              and having nothing at all to do with the actual 'recognition'
                              of the Self. (But I'm not really familiar enough with the
                              teachings of Tibetan Buddhism to say that for certain).

                              I once heard a Tibetan lama, whom I thought was a wonderful
                              teacher, with much insight, refer to himself as a 'just small
                              piece of pony poop.' So, I think that the practice of modesty
                              and self-effacement is totally in keeping with their tradition.
                              And I do think that HH was kidding when he gave his reasons
                              for not being 'enlightened.' He does have a very good
                              sense of humor, and he likes to laugh a lot.--Durga
                            • vishal pandya
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 27, 2006
                                Dear all,

                                i got that all the people who is enlighted are not having a some
                                diffrence to find for a normal perso.

                                for that you have to be with him just observe him and if you can do
                                this u also find that be witness state is coming in yourself directly.
                                i am not saying just by theory as i had a opportunity to live with
                                enlighted person and after those days i feel that i am changed in all
                                aspects.

                                i am with siddhyogi shri vibhakarji. he is also able to grace
                                kundalini shaktipat.
                                and gracing many people in his camps of dhyana- yoga ( meditation - yoga ).

                                you can contact his site for more details www.siddhyog.org

                                thanks