A Gift From Dan in Arkansas

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2005
      We just received this today in an email, and the timing
      seems perfect. Enjoy!

      THE WORM
      by Ajahn Brahmavamso

      There is a wonderful little story about two monks who
      lived together in a monastery for many years; they
      were great friends. Then they died within a few
      months of one another. One of them got
      reborn in the heaven realms, the other monk
      got reborn as a worm in a dung pile. The one
      up in the heaven realms was having a
      wonderful time, enjoying all the heavenly
      pleasures. But he started thinking about his
      friend, "I wonder where my old mate has gone?"
      So he scanned all of the heaven realms, but
      could not find a trace of his friend. Then he
      scanned the realm of human beings, but he
      could not see any trace of his friend there,
      so he looked in the realm of animals and then
      of insects. Finally he found him, reborn as a
      worm in a dung pile... Wow! He thought: "I am
      going to help my fri! end. I am going to go
      down there to that dung pile and take him up
      to the heavenly realm so he too can enjoy the
      heavenly pleasures and bliss of living in
      these wonderful realms."
      So he went down to the dung pile and called his
      mate. And the little worm wriggled out and said:
      "Who are you?", "I am your friend. We used to be
      monks together in a past life, and I have come
      up to take you to the heaven realms where life
      is wonderful and blissful." But the worm said:
      "Go away, get lost!" "But I am your friend, and
      I live in the heaven realms," and he described
      the heaven realms to him. But the worm said:
      "No thank you, I am quite happy here in my dung
      pile. Please go away." Then the heavenly being
      thought: "Well if I could only just grab hold
      of him and take him up to the heaven realms,
      he could see for himself." So he grabbed hold
      of the worm and started tugging at him; and the
      harder he tugged, the harder that worm clung
      to his pile of dung.