RE: [Meditation Society of America] Journal Entry - November 26 - tosime

  • tosime
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 12, 2002
      Journal Entry - tosime
      Date: December 12
      Time: 07:35 a.m.
      Duration: 57 minutes (open)
      Posture: Seated on chair
      Body: Eyes closed,
      - tongue tip to pallet,
      - hands on knees-index finger touching thumb.
      Room Condition: Darkened room
      - One candle
      - Incense - one stick
      - Essential Oil - (Dawn+water on burner)
      Pre-session: Ring Bell
      - Sip of water
      - Ear plugs
      - full body stretch (3 times).
      Previous day's influence: Guru_satsang post
      "Ramana Maharishi - Who Am I?"
      Mind Chatter: Low.
      Waves of bliss: None.
      Chant (silent): "Real freedom is freedom from thought"
      Experience: Good Session.

      Result:

      Stopped posting for no particular reason even though I kept writing my
      journal entries.

      Practice update from last journal post:
      1) Each time I strike the bell I clear my mind of whatever is uppermost in
      my thoughts at that moment. When my mind is relatively clear, I then "strike
      in" the frame of mind I want for my meditation - relaxed, still, without
      expectation.

      2) I have started chanting a phrase I make up just before I start my
      session, if I feel inclined to chant - the chant is silent.

      Chant was very effective in reducing mind chatter. Was able to observe mind
      activity very clearly. Only a few times (5 to 8)was mind activity strong
      enough to break the chant.

      Relaxed sufficiently for some form of intuitive control to take me over. I
      realized this when one of my fingers twitched to snap me out of one the mind
      excursions. Inner sounds increased when this happened.

      Occasionally I would stop the chant to explore the mindless state. I found
      it easier to maintain this state. Mind chatter would creep in gradually and
      I would resume the chant. Noticed a very distant, very faint form of mind
      chatter in the background.

      Explored the intuitive part of my mind. I found it very hard to explore
      since there was no physical sense of its presence. It is only when the
      "intuition" becomes conscious do I know it has "done" something. I feel like
      I am gradually developing my "sense" of it. It is almost like a new sense
      altogether. It is very very subtle until it reacts with my physical body or
      transfers a thought to my mind.

      All in all a good session.
    • tosime
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 13, 2002
        Journal Entry - tosime
        Date: December 13
        Time: 08:35 a.m.
        Duration: 50 minutes (open)
        Posture: Seated on chair
        Body: Eyes closed,
        - tongue tip to pallet,
        - hands on knees-index finger touching thumb.
        Room Condition: Darkened room
        - One candle
        - Incense - one stick
        - Essential Oil - (Dawn+water on burner)
        Pre-session: Ring Bell
        (Ring out distractions - Ring in peace)
        - Sip of water
        - Ear plugs
        - full body stretch (3 times).
        Previous day's influence: Reading my journal post as a receiver
        Mind Chatter: Low - Medium.
        Waves of bliss: None.
        Chant (silent): "...Reaching for the sky just to surrender"
        Experience: Good Session.

        Result:

        A Leonard Cohen song kept turning in my mind yesterday so I decided to use
        it in my meditation.

        The Stranger Song
        It's true that all the men you knew were dealers
        who said they were through with dealing
        Every time you gave them shelter
        I know that kind of man
        It's hard to hold the hand of anyone
        who is reaching for the sky just to surrender,
        who is reaching for the sky just to surrender.

        And then sweeping up the jokers that he left behind
        you find he did not leave you very much
        not even laughter
        Like any dealer he was watching for the card
        that is so high and wild
        he'll never need to deal another
        He was just some Joseph looking for a manger
        He was just some Joseph looking for a manger...

        "Reaching for the sky just to surrender"

        Just after the start I "felt" the scent of the oil burner. This was more a
        tingling sensation in my nose than the scent of the oil burner. I opened my
        eyes and looked at the oil burner. I then had the insight that understanding
        intuition needs a different sensory organ (i.e. eyes) even though the normal
        perception is through thought.

        It got a little complex, but I felt that intuition is really the part of you
        that creates the world we think we are perceiving. What we see as intuition
        is really seeing what we have created before it comes to us through our
        normal senses. I did not have a full understanding of this. However it
        helped me to see problems as internal conflicts rather than external
        situations.

        After writing this I lost the other insights from this meditation session.