Re: Sleep, Meditation & Future Learning

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2005
      "Tony Osime2" <tony.osime@f...> wrote:

      > I came to some interesting conclusions today
      after my meditation session. I would like to share
      them and get some responses.

      Sleep has long been an interesting process for me
      because dreams hold such a strong fascination. I have
      found that meditation sometimes reveals the
      dreaming process and helps us understand what is happening.

      One of my conclusions about dreaming is that it is like the
      defragmentation process that takes place on your hard disk.
      Seemingly disparate chunks of experience are related in a
      way that makes it easier to store and access all
      the billions of sensory stimuli that flood our system daily.

      What got me curious today was that we may not only be
      reconfiguring past experiences to make better sense of them,
      but that we may actually be creating future experiences to
      help us reconfigure those past experiences.

      On one level, this conclusion seems simplistic. To tell
      someone "you are creating a future to reconcile issues in
      your past" might draw a response like, "OK, so what else
      is new?". What I found fascinating today is getting
      a glimpse of the process in action.

      I believe that this process actually happens when we dream
      but because we are not normally creating understandable
      memories while we dream, we are not really sure what is
      happening. Meditation allows you to cast a conscious eye
      on this process.

      For instance, during my meditation today, I believe I got a
      sense that I came to a conclusion that I needed to create
      a particular experience to help reconcile a past experience.
      I felt a tension in not wanting to have this future
      experience but I also felt a strong pressure to have it
      as a step needed for some future event or state of being.

      To cut a long post short, there is a need for what a
      colleague called "future learning" which I interpret as
      putting ourselves in a frame of mind today to make
      absorbing future events we created, without realizing it,
      more complete. I link it to those moments when you feel
      something profound has just happened but you can't place
      your finger on it.

      An afterthought - A strange aspect of this is that this
      process is happening to everyone and we are all
      interacting. So, something I may do might be to help
      someone else with their experience. In a sense, this
      helps us see that there really is no separation between us.
      We need the right attitude to day to day experiences to
      realize this.

      > Tony Osime

      Yo Sri Tonyji,
      This well demonstrates that your consciousness (your
      inner Witnessing) is not simply lying dormant for
      1/3rd of your life. A regular meditation practice
      potentiates lessening the mind chatter that numbs and
      dumbs us, and more and more enables us to acknowledge
      that which is awake always in all ways at all times, even
      when we sleep. And considering the billions of years we did
      not have this incarnation and the billions of years we
      will not have it, isn't squandering any of it in a stupor
      stupid?:-)
      Thanks for this "wake-up call" posting!
    • Janine Cortese
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2005
        Hi Tony,

        This is a really interesting topic and experience.

        Sleep itself is amazing. I agree with the process sort
        of being like a defrag. I found that an important
        aspect of growing spiritually is to control as much as
        the imput as possible. Al things the senses take in,
        positive and negative energy. I try really hard to
        make my environment as pleasant and positive as I can.
        It was hard to change my perception and start looking
        for the good in a bad situation, but it happened and
        it changed me.

        Its important to stay grounded to Earth. A lot of
        people who are feeling this pull we all have are
        getting a little obsessed, in my opinion, no offense
        anyone, with the astral plane, psychic abilites, and
        contacting the dead. We are here on earth for a
        reason, our focus should be on our impact on Earth-
        people, nature, energy-

        I do a chakra meditation every morning and every
        evening. I go through my Chakras backward at night so
        I can open my crown chakra first and end with
        grounding myself to earth.

        I found that this meditation as I drift off to sleep
        has helped the process of my dreaming. I also keep a
        dream log, when you look back over yeaars of dream
        logs you can see the future. So, I think your right in
        a lot of what your saying.

        Ill stop yacking now.

        Peace All
        Janine

        __________________________________
        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
      • Tony Osime2
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 2005
          Hi Janine,

          Thanks for your reply and apologies for a late response.

          I was so disappointed when you decided to end your post as I was hoping to
          read more. I find your practice fascinating.

          I was intrigued with your observation that when you read your dream logs you
          "see" the future. This is my understanding of how we create the future. If
          we could remember all our dreams and understand them on a deeper level than
          just the scenes created in the dream, I believe we would see the patterns
          that would show us our future.

          The key, I believe, is not to try to predict the future but to accept it -
          regardless of whatever is happening. My sense is that it is the resistance
          to things as they happen day to day that delays the inner transforming
          process.

          As I dream, I get a sense for when things resolve and when they don't. When
          they don't resolve, I know that the "scene" will repeat itself, very often
          with new incidences that happened more recently. The awareness for me is
          that I "created" these new incidences at the time I did not resolve it while
          dreaming. When these new incidences happen in real life, I need an attitude
          that allows the incidence to "register" with me. Resistance, denial, anger
          without the underlying awareness of what is happening simply delays the
          "inner" resolution.

          I hope I am making sense here since it is hard to put this into words. When
          something happens to us, we are free to respond in any way we feel is best.
          However, there is an inner transformation taking place that we need to
          understand and help process so that we can advance "spiritually". If we can
          observe this "inner" process, we can choose a better outer response to help
          the "inner" process. Meditation helps you see this "inner" process.

          Would anyone like to comment on this?

          Tony Osime
          In plain english - Please don't use or send this email to anyone wihtout
          asking me first.

          Message: 7