Sleep, Meditation & Future Learning

  • Tony Osime2
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2005
      I came to some interesting conclusions today after my meditation session. I
      would like to share them and get some responses.

      Sleep has long been an interesting process for me because dreams hold such a
      strong fascination. I have found that meditation sometimes reveals the
      dreaming process and helps us understand what is happening.

      One of my conclusions about dreaming is that it is like the defragmentation
      process that takes place on your hard disk. Seemingly disparate chunks of
      experience are related in a way that makes it easier to store and access all
      the billions of sensory stimuli that flood our system daily.

      What got me curious today was that we may not only be reconfiguring past
      experiences to make better sense of them, but that we may actually be
      creating future experiences to help us reconfigure those past experiences.

      On one level, this conclusion seems simplistic. To tell someone "you are
      creating a future to reconcile issues in your past" might draw a response
      like, "OK, so what else is new?". What I found fascinating today is getting
      a glimpse of the process in action.

      I believe that this process actually happens when we dream but because we
      are not normally creating understandable memories while we dream, we are not
      really sure what is happening. Meditation allows you to cast a conscious eye
      on this process.

      For instance, during my meditation today, I believe I got a sense that I
      came to a conclusion that I needed to create a particular experience to help
      reconcile a past experience. I felt a tension in not wanting to have this
      future experience but I also felt a strong pressure to have it as a step
      needed for some future event or state of being.

      To cut a long post short, there is a need for what a colleague called
      "future learning" which I interpret as putting ourselves in a frame of mind
      today to make absorbing future events we created, without realizing it, more
      complete. I link it to those moments when you feel something profound has
      just happened but you can't place your finger on it.

      An afterthought - A strange aspect of this is that this process is happening
      to everyone and we are all interacting. So, something I may do might be to
      help someone else with their experience. In a sense, this helps us see that
      there really is no separation between us. We need the right attitude to day
      to day experiences to realize this.

      Tony Osime
      waive any related rights and obligations.
      Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it
      contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.

      If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or
      otherwise) immediately.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2005
        "Tony Osime2" <tony.osime@f...> wrote:

        > I came to some interesting conclusions today
        after my meditation session. I would like to share
        them and get some responses.

        Sleep has long been an interesting process for me
        because dreams hold such a strong fascination. I have
        found that meditation sometimes reveals the
        dreaming process and helps us understand what is happening.

        One of my conclusions about dreaming is that it is like the
        defragmentation process that takes place on your hard disk.
        Seemingly disparate chunks of experience are related in a
        way that makes it easier to store and access all
        the billions of sensory stimuli that flood our system daily.

        What got me curious today was that we may not only be
        reconfiguring past experiences to make better sense of them,
        but that we may actually be creating future experiences to
        help us reconfigure those past experiences.

        On one level, this conclusion seems simplistic. To tell
        someone "you are creating a future to reconcile issues in
        your past" might draw a response like, "OK, so what else
        is new?". What I found fascinating today is getting
        a glimpse of the process in action.

        I believe that this process actually happens when we dream
        but because we are not normally creating understandable
        memories while we dream, we are not really sure what is
        happening. Meditation allows you to cast a conscious eye
        on this process.

        For instance, during my meditation today, I believe I got a
        sense that I came to a conclusion that I needed to create
        a particular experience to help reconcile a past experience.
        I felt a tension in not wanting to have this future
        experience but I also felt a strong pressure to have it
        as a step needed for some future event or state of being.

        To cut a long post short, there is a need for what a
        colleague called "future learning" which I interpret as
        putting ourselves in a frame of mind today to make
        absorbing future events we created, without realizing it,
        more complete. I link it to those moments when you feel
        something profound has just happened but you can't place
        your finger on it.

        An afterthought - A strange aspect of this is that this
        process is happening to everyone and we are all
        interacting. So, something I may do might be to help
        someone else with their experience. In a sense, this
        helps us see that there really is no separation between us.
        We need the right attitude to day to day experiences to
        realize this.

        > Tony Osime

        Yo Sri Tonyji,
        This well demonstrates that your consciousness (your
        inner Witnessing) is not simply lying dormant for
        1/3rd of your life. A regular meditation practice
        potentiates lessening the mind chatter that numbs and
        dumbs us, and more and more enables us to acknowledge
        that which is awake always in all ways at all times, even
        when we sleep. And considering the billions of years we did
        not have this incarnation and the billions of years we
        will not have it, isn't squandering any of it in a stupor
        stupid?:-)
        Thanks for this "wake-up call" posting!
      • Janine Cortese
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 2005
          Hi Tony,

          This is a really interesting topic and experience.

          Sleep itself is amazing. I agree with the process sort
          of being like a defrag. I found that an important
          aspect of growing spiritually is to control as much as
          the imput as possible. Al things the senses take in,
          positive and negative energy. I try really hard to
          make my environment as pleasant and positive as I can.
          It was hard to change my perception and start looking
          for the good in a bad situation, but it happened and
          it changed me.

          Its important to stay grounded to Earth. A lot of
          people who are feeling this pull we all have are
          getting a little obsessed, in my opinion, no offense
          anyone, with the astral plane, psychic abilites, and
          contacting the dead. We are here on earth for a
          reason, our focus should be on our impact on Earth-
          people, nature, energy-

          I do a chakra meditation every morning and every
          evening. I go through my Chakras backward at night so
          I can open my crown chakra first and end with
          grounding myself to earth.

          I found that this meditation as I drift off to sleep
          has helped the process of my dreaming. I also keep a
          dream log, when you look back over yeaars of dream
          logs you can see the future. So, I think your right in
          a lot of what your saying.

          Ill stop yacking now.

          Peace All
          Janine

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Music Unlimited
          http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
        • Tony Osime2
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 28, 2005
            Hi Janine,

            Thanks for your reply and apologies for a late response.

            I was so disappointed when you decided to end your post as I was hoping to
            read more. I find your practice fascinating.

            I was intrigued with your observation that when you read your dream logs you
            "see" the future. This is my understanding of how we create the future. If
            we could remember all our dreams and understand them on a deeper level than
            just the scenes created in the dream, I believe we would see the patterns
            that would show us our future.

            The key, I believe, is not to try to predict the future but to accept it -
            regardless of whatever is happening. My sense is that it is the resistance
            to things as they happen day to day that delays the inner transforming
            process.

            As I dream, I get a sense for when things resolve and when they don't. When
            they don't resolve, I know that the "scene" will repeat itself, very often
            with new incidences that happened more recently. The awareness for me is
            that I "created" these new incidences at the time I did not resolve it while
            dreaming. When these new incidences happen in real life, I need an attitude
            that allows the incidence to "register" with me. Resistance, denial, anger
            without the underlying awareness of what is happening simply delays the
            "inner" resolution.

            I hope I am making sense here since it is hard to put this into words. When
            something happens to us, we are free to respond in any way we feel is best.
            However, there is an inner transformation taking place that we need to
            understand and help process so that we can advance "spiritually". If we can
            observe this "inner" process, we can choose a better outer response to help
            the "inner" process. Meditation helps you see this "inner" process.

            Would anyone like to comment on this?

            Tony Osime
            In plain english - Please don't use or send this email to anyone wihtout
            asking me first.

            Message: 7