Headache from meditation

  • Robert Lake
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 2005
      I've been meditating for several months with good results. Then I started
      to 'push' expecting to get better results faster. Instead I started getting
      headaches. These would last sometimes all day after my morning meditation.
      I stopped meditating for several weeks, but when I started again the
      headaches returned.

      Any suggestions?

      Robert Lake
      robert.lake@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 20, 2005
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lake"
        <robert.lake@c...> wrote:

        > I've been meditating for several months with good results. Then I
        started
        > to 'push' expecting to get better results faster. Instead I started
        getting
        > headaches. These would last sometimes all day after my morning
        meditation.
        > I stopped meditating for several weeks, but when I started again the
        > headaches returned.
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > Robert Lake
        > robert.lake@c...

        Yo Robert,
        Relative to Tonyji's great suggestion that we
        share what meditation means to us, I guess for
        you it's a pain in the brain. Sorry for joking
        about what must be uncomfortable and frustrating
        for you, but I did it to ease tension that you
        probably have about meditating, and traditionally
        that's 180 degrees away from what we usually
        associate with meditation. My first suggestion
        would to have your physician check you out and if
        that proves to not lead to the source of the problem,
        my next suggestion would bee (for now at least) to
        not do whatever form of meditation you have been doing.
        Not every technique is good for everyone, nor are any
        necessarily good for you at all times. My simple formula
        for what is a good technique is if it brings you
        peace, it's "good", and if it takes your peace
        away, it's "bad". Not wanting to be falsely humble
        about it, I'll say that our site is in the top ratings by
        Google and virtually all the other search engines for
        meditation techniques for a good reason. There are dozens
        of easy to follow "how-to-do-it" techniques shared there.
        http://www.meditationsociety.com
        Check it out and try a few that seem appealing to you.
        The best way to learn about meditation is by actually
        meditating. Then, please consider Tony's suggestion
        and share your (head ache free, I hope) results with us.
      • Tony Osime2
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 21, 2005
          Hi Robert,

          First, let me thank Bob for the excellent suggestion he gave you. I feel it
          is spot on.

          One of the things about life I have learned from meditation is not to force
          things. I get the best results in meditation by "not trying". The key for me
          is subtlety. What is incredible is that it actually takes more "effort" to
          "not take effort" than it does to force things. Let me try to explain.

          Imagine you are controlling a machine. You have your hand on a lever and as
          you move your hand, the machine responds in proportion to your hand
          movement. Now, imagine that your movements became more subtle and in
          response, the machine makes larger movements. Now, imagine your responses
          becoming more and more subtle and the machine's response becoming greater
          and greater. This is a surprise. But the best is yet to come.

          Imagine that, rather than try to make the most subtle hand movement
          possible, simply thinking about trying to move your hand produces the
          greatest movement in the machine you ever experienced! This is a revelation!
          Now you are on a new level. You control the machine with just your thoughts
          and the results are greater than you imagined possible. Now comes the harder
          part.

          In the same way the machine's response grew as your hand movement became
          more subtle, the machine's response also grows as your thoughts become more
          subtle! So you make your thoughts more and more subtle until...?

          Well, now you don't know if you are thinking or not thinking. You have
          passed the realm of thought. It seems like there is nothing to guide you.
          However, you can still "perceive" the machine and when its response grows
          you have a "sense" that whatever you "did" was "right".

          Well - this is as far as I have gone. It is hard for me to even get to this
          stage normally because so many things distract me. However, I hope I have
          made the point. I had to reduce my "effort" to "no effort" just to get past
          the first "level".

          I am going to make a wild guess here. The skill you develop in subtlety
          during your meditation will have some corresponding benefit to you in your
          day to day life.

          I can give you a personal example to illustrate this. Today, while I was at
          the bank waiting for the attendant to complete my transaction, my mind was a
          whirlwind of activity. This was strange to me. Because of my meditation I
          have grown used to "observing" my mind. What I did was to simply peel off
          each emotion like a layer, one after another. I noticed how each one
          depended on the one below to magnify its agitation. When I got to the last
          one I was surprised to find nothing there - emptiness; calm. Just like the
          eye of a storm. Although the "storm" did not dissipate right away, I now
          knew there was nothing really there. I could go about my day knowing it
          would subside very soon and it did.

          I think this post is getting very long so I will stop here. Look forward to
          your response.

          ...Tony
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
            In an email we received that I'm sure was intended
            to be posted here in response to Tony's post,
            Robert Lake said:

            Tony

            Thanks, your reasoning looks to me to be spot on!
            When I was a jock in school I got my best performance when
            I did not 'push' mentally.

            Robert Lake

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Osime2"
            <tony.osime@f...> wrote:

> [...]
            subtlety during your meditation will have some corresponding
            benefit to you in your day to day life.

            > I can give you a personal example to illustrate this.
            Today, while I was at the bank waiting for the attendant to
            complete my transaction, my mind was a whirlwind of activity.
            This was strange to me. Because of my meditation I
            have grown used to "observing" my mind. What I did was to
            simply peel off each emotion like a layer, one after another.
            I noticed how each one depended on the one below to magnify its
            agitation. When I got to the last one I was surprised to find
            nothing there - emptiness; calm. Just like the eye of a storm.
            Although the "storm" did not dissipate right away, I now
            knew there was nothing really there. I could go about my day
            knowing it would subside very soon and it did.

            > I think this post is getting very long so I will stop here.

          • mani kumara
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
              thanks.what an accurate description.i think thinking stops when you start observing.when the observation is intense trying to catch the first thought that pops up the feeling is very nice.
              love
              mani

              <tony.osime@f...> wrote:

> [...]
              subtlety during your meditation will have some corresponding
              benefit to you in your day to day life.

              > I can give you a personal example to illustrate this.
              Today, while I was at the bank waiting for the attendant to
              complete my transaction, my mind was a whirlwind of activity.
              This was strange to me. Because of my meditation I
              have grown used to "observing" my mind. What I did was to
              simply peel off each emotion like a layer, one after another.
              I noticed how each one depended on the one below to magnify its
              agitation. When I got to the last one I was surprised to find
              nothing there - emptiness; calm. Just like the eye of a storm.
              Although the "storm" did not dissipate right away, I now
              knew there was nothing really there. I could go about my day
              knowing it would subside very soon and it did.

              > I think this post is getting very long so I will stop here.

            • prakki surya
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005

                Why does the mind refuse to calm down in meditation?

                First of all, you must know that meditation is not the real path to attain the grace of the Lord. Meditation means fixing your mind on a form or formless God. You can imagine only any thing, which is in the realm of the space-time. This means that you can meditate upon only a part or total creation and not upon the creator. God is not the creation and is also not in the creation. If God is creation, you are also God and there is no need of any meditation. If God is in the creation, all the changes in the creation must affect the God. Kapila says " Asangohyayam purushash", which means that God is not associated with creation.

                Gita also says the same (Nachaaham Teshu..). God enters a small item of the creation and pervades all over that item for your service, which is only the proven love. Did you meditate upon your parents or wife or children? No, because you have real love to them. You serve them directly and not their photos or some other inert objects keeping as their models. You serve them in their human forms. They are different from their human bodies as souls. But you are serving the soul through the human body.

                Similarly the Lord enters a human body and available for your true love. You must take pains to detect him. Have you not taken pains to search a suitable girl for marriage to show your true love? Take the help of the divine knowledge. Vedas and Gita have given the procedure to detect the human incarnation. To cut your bonds with the family members, who are also, human beings, another human form of God is only the equal competitor. Formless objects, statues and photos cannot compete. Your body is also a human form.

                 The bond with money is only for the human forms. If you develop the bond with human incarnation, which is Lord Himself called as Sadguru, He will bless you with divine knowledge, which alone can cut your worldly bonds. Since you have not fully realized, your attachment persists. The attachment is violent only due to the high intensity of ignorance, which is nothing but mis-interpreted and twisted wrong knowledge. Such ignorance can disappear only by the light of true divine knowledge.

                The source of that knowledge is Sadguru. Therefore, you must catch a Sadguru and hear His divine knowledge constantly. You must clarify your doubts at every stage. When you are fully clarified, the ignorance disappears like the darkness in the presence of sunlight. Thus, the root cause is only ignorance and root remedy is only true knowledge. When the ignorance is associated with egoism and jealousy, it is like diabetes associated with hypertension and kidney-failure. Your case is not serious because you are with ignorance only. It will be easy to treat you.

                at the lotus feet of shri datta swami

                surya

                www.universal-spirituality.org