What Meditation Means To Me

  • Tony Osime2
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2005
      Thanks Bob for the "Not seeing the Forrest for the Trees.." post.

      I followed the link to the Meditation Society site and read some articles.

      What struck me was that there is a tremendous amount of "information" on
      meditation but very little personal experience linked to individual meaning.

      What I suggest is that we (that is all members of this group) each write a
      post on "What Meditation Means To Me". I feel that this will enrich
      meditation for all of us. The very act of writing such a post will help each
      of us to better understand our experience and the meaning we attach to it.

      This is my contribution:

      What Meditation Means To Me

      Meditation is a mental state I reach when I relax my body and sufficiently
      reduce external and internal distractions. In this state, I have a greater
      freedom from normal thoughts and I am able to experience and appreciate a
      thoughtless state of being that expands my consciousness and leaves me with
      a new perspective on life and the world around me.

      If I had written this years ago, I would have included; ideas, such as
      enlightenment and perfection, comments on techniques etc. If I were to write
      this in a few years time, I am sure it would change, reflecting my
      experience to that time. So, this is where I am now.

      My suggestion to every member of this forum is to write a few lines on what
      meditation means to you so we can explore our individual experiences.

      ...Tony
    • mani kumara

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2005
          Hello Mani,

          I was very happy you shared your meditation experience. I felt as if I was
          the one experiencing the world around me whirling. Thank you. The gaps of
          recognizable thoughtlessness remind me of my own experiences - the peace is
          incredibly beautiful (distractingly so, unfortunately).

          When you asked if you were on the right path I wondered who the question was
          directed to since I don't know if I am on the "right" path or not. But I
          feel that your sharing your experience has helped me on my path and your
          sharing might, in some way, help you on your path. Thanks again.

          Subject: Re: What Meditation Means To Me
          Nice suggestion. Thanks. First time when I was in initiated into TM and
          meditated, literally all around me was whirling around like a huge spinning
          wheel. This never happened ever again. But all along during meditation I am
          not conscious of anything. But now after reading a book, I started observing