Not Seeing the Forrest for the Trees Relatively Speaking

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2005
      The most common email we receive that indicates we have
      something "wrong" on our web site, Meditation Station
      http://meditationsociety.com is one where we state
      that Einstein said in his Theory of Relativity that
      everything is relative to everything else. It is from
      the following Concept of Meditation. Today we again
      received an email that took hundreds of words that
      dealt with the sender's great knowledge of Einstein
      and how we should correct this article and put in his
      interpretation of E=Mc2. For now we are not going to
      add his "proofs" to the content of the article, as
      we think what can be gained from it already has potential
      benefit without pontificating about Einstein. But
      perhaps the emailer is right. I guess it's all relative
      to one values.

      Two Types of Meditation: Stabilizing and Analytical

      Tibetan Buddhism speaks of two different types of
      meditation. One is Stabilizing and could be
      characterized by a type of "mindless" repetition
      of a word or phrase (mantra/japa) or by simply doing
      an action over and over like yantra (the continual
      gazing at an object, ie: a picture or statue of a
      deity, the symbol for OM, a flame, etc.). The other
      type of meditation is Analytical. In this form, the
      practitioner doesn't simply repeat a word over and
      over or look at a picture repeatedly. The meditator
      would try to understand everything they know or
      everything that can be known about the object of
      their attention. As an example of the difference
      between a stabilizing and an analytical meditation,
      let's use the word peace. You could repeat peace,
      peace, peace, ad infinitum and eventually go deeper
      and deeper into a state of quietude that could be
      described as Peace. This is very nice but perhaps
      might not be fulfilling relative to an increase in
      understanding about peace. This is where analytical
      meditation might bring a benefit. The meditator who
      is trained in analytical methodology might also start
      by repeating the word peace, but once firmly
      concentrated on it would then proceed to analyzing
      everything they knew about peace. They might think
      about the things that bring them peace like swimming,
      or eating, or maybe holding a baby. They may also
      think about the things that make them lose their peace
      like their boss, or unfulfilled desires, or driving in
      heavy traffic. In theory, eventually, if they kept at
      it, they would connect everything in the universe,
      because everything is in some way connected with peace
      (Einstein's' theory of relativity - all things are
      relative to everything else). But what actually happens
      is that the object of your meditation starts to present
      itself to you and you can sit back in your minds-eye
      and simply witness your Higher Mind reveal every aspect
      of peace to you. Your inner Witness, who is your Real
      Self, is always receiving, knowing, and at one with
      everything and once we remove the false concept that
      we are different (a body, a mind, an emotion, even a
      separate soul) from it, we will know and be at one with
      everything. Our consciousness awakens to its real
      natural of infinite, eternal Peace, Love, Knowledge,
      and Bliss, and we live happily ever after. This is the
      state known as Contemplation. So, to summarize, you
      start by Concentrating, then Meditate by the analytical
      method, and then this segues into Contemplation. It is
      then when all the ???'s turn into !!!.The Tibetans
      Buddhists consider analytical meditation techniques to
      be superior to the stabilizing. For you, now, it may be
      possible that this may bring about the result you seek.