The junk yard-defragmentation-running the gauntlet

  • Tony Osime2
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2005
      Some of us may remember the junk yards in the MadMax movies. If we have ever
      been through a junk yard, we may recall that uneasy fascination as feelings
      of curiosity toy with feelings of decay and a desire to abandon objects once
      loved.

      My PC started slowing down a lot recently and I was getting error messages
      telling me I should consider defragmenting my hard disk. I searched for a
      good defragmentation program and watched in fascination as it mechanically
      re-arranged the scattered clusters of data on my hard drive into neat
      contiguous bands.

      "Running the Gauntlet" is a medieval punishment in which the guilty person
      runs between 2 lines of knights who would attempt to hit them with their
      gauntlets (metal gloves).

      These three images came together today as I meditated after about a two week
      break. My schedule had me sleeping later and waking later and eventually
      this squeezed out my regular meditation time.

      Passing through the relaxation phase in meditation reminded me of walking
      through a junk yard. You walk past fragments of partially discarded memories
      that, while fascinating, you realize that you need to pass on and not get
      distracted.

      The reason these fragments of memories are still there is that they are
      being processed by the mind in a way that is very similar to the way a hard
      disk is defragmented. Each memory fragment is linked to an important band of
      existing meaning which alters both the memory fragment and the band of
      meaning.

      Walking past the fragments is like walking the gauntlet. Each fragment
      strikes you with all the images and feelings associated with it. Each one a
      distraction that could easily prevent you from passing through the junk
      yard.

      Even though I have passed this way hundreds of times, the process never
      ceases to fascinate me. I accept it as a stage I need to pass to get to the
      quiet land of deep meditation.