Belly breathing

  • Tony Osime2
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2005
      I am appreciating more and more the wonderful stillness between breaths.
      That moment of calm is a moment to be treasured. Part of the pleasure comes
      from not feeling the need to take the next breath. However, as I appreciate
      that moment I also appreciate the pleasure of breathing from the belly.

      Being so relaxed in meditation means that your body can function with much
      less influence from the mind. Of course, our bodies cannot exist normally
      without our minds; however, our minds add a tension to the natural workings
      of our bodies. When you pause between breaths you can experience, very
      subtly, the calm, ease and fluidity of your body working without the mind's
      normal influence.

      One of the things I have noticed is that my breathing becomes more natural.
      I breath more from my belly than my chest. It feels very good. To me it is
      incredible that simply taking a breath can feel so good. We breath hundreds
      of times every day but never savor the pleasure of any of these breaths,
      even though that pleasure is available to us.

      Focusing on your breath in meditation has benefits that can last the whole
      day.

      ...Tony
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2005
        --- "Tony Osime2" <tony.osime@f...> wrote:
        > I am appreciating more and more the wonderful
        stillness between breaths.
        > That moment of calm is a moment to be treasured.
        Part of the pleasure comes
        > from not feeling the need to take the next breath.
        However, as I appreciate that moment I also appreciate
        the pleasure of breathing from the belly.

        > Being so relaxed in meditation means that your
        body can function with much
        > less influence from the mind. Of course, o
        ur bodies cannot exist normally
        > without our minds; however, our minds add a
        tension to the natural workings
        > of our bodies. When you pause between breaths
        you can experience, very
        > subtly, the calm, ease and fluidity of your
        body working without the mind's normal influence.

        > One of the things I have noticed is that my
        breathing becomes more natural.
        > I breath more from my belly than my chest.
        It feels very good. To me it is
        > incredible that simply taking a breath can
        feel so good. We breath hundreds
        > of times every day but never savor the
        pleasure of any of these breaths,
        > even though that pleasure is available to us.
        >
        > Focusing on your breath in meditation
        has benefits that can last the whole day.

        > ...Tony

        And focusing on your breath the whole day
        has benefits in meditation. Sri Tonyji, your
        posts about relaxation point well to the great good
        that relaxation brings. A few suggestions...
        It is a good practice to check your body several
        times a day and see if you are keeping tension in
        your muscles needlessly. This happens by conditioning
        and by habit. For instance, you often see women
        sitting with their legs closed together just
        because they were taught to do that as very little
        girls so as to maintain their modesty. And yet
        even when they are alone, and it would be much more
        comfortable and tension relieving to sit with their
        legs wide apart, they maintain their conditioned
        posture. We all have similar energy squandering behaviors,
        and there is a simple way to deal with them...
        Witnessing this type of useless tension retension
        is the only thing you need to do to eventually stop its
        occurance. Similarly, simply witnessing the emotional
        and mental tensions within us will diminish and
        eventually totally dissipate the automatic
        energy draining reactions that unneeded emotionality
        and mind chatter cause within us. This points to
        the need for the meditator to have an ongoing
        form of mindfullness practice as well as a sitting
        in meditation methodology. Similarly, as I have
        mentioned here on other occasions, it may be very
        good to practice hatha yoga, which origionally was,
        and still "should be", a practice that primarily is
        meant to bring about physical control so that you may
        sit in meditation without your body distracting you.
        But going back to the first (and last) thing, which
        is the breath, I suggest that if you are going to
        make any effort to realize Realization effortlessly,
        there is probably nothing better to do than witness
        your breath, and as it always takes place in the Now,
        witness the mind, body, and emotions and relax them all.
        Now.
      • Tony Osime2
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2005
          Hello Delina,

          Thanks for your comments on hearing the spirits. It is food for thought.

          ...Tony

          Hi Bob,

          Thanks for your pearls of wisdom.

          I remember buying a vibrating watch some years ago. The key feature was that
          you could set it to go off periodically (say every hour) with a silent
          vibrating alarm. I would use this as a signal to become present at that
          moment. It worked very well. Eventually I lost a lot of the day to day
          tension I carried around with me.

          I wonder if it is time to put it on again and see how permanent the effect
          has been? I smile when I remember the effort I put into finding the watch.
          It is not enough that the watch has a silent, vibrating alarm - it has to
          automatically reset itself to go off again at the next period. It turned out
          to be a kind of pilot's watch - I guess pilots have to do periodic checks
          during their flights.

          This quest to find just the right watch is a kind of tension itself - it is
          like putting effort into relaxation. Rather like seeking enlightenment -
          which is probably why I smiled when I thought back at those days. Thanks
          again for the reminder that we don't need to seek anything outside of
          ourselves.

          ...Tony