Re: [Meditation Society of America] Spiritual Effort & Rituals

  • prakki surya
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2005

      It is said “Gange Gangeti…. Sivalokam Gamishyati”. The meaning of this verse is He who utters the word Ganga is liberated from all the sins and will reach Lord Shiva. In such case what is the use of all this spiritual effort?

      The Guru encourages you to climb the first step by saying that that step is the final step. When you climb the first step He will allow you to sit there for some time. Then slowly He will show you the second step and will again say that that step is the final step. Like this the Guru encourages you till you climb the last step. This is called as Arthavada, which means a lie, told for some good purpose. The person will start uttering the word Ganga after this, the Guru will say that you should go to Ganga in Varanasi for a bath to get rid of your sins. Then you will go to Varanasi and take bath in Ganga. Then the Guru will say that you must see the Shivalinga, which represents the God without form. Then the Guru will say that you must see the Kalabhairava before you leave Varanasi.

      The statue of Kalabhairava is in human form representing the Lord in human form. Once you catch the Lord in human form the Guru will say that you must worship Him with prayers (words) and devotion (mind). Finally the Guru will say you must worship Him by service practically. At every step the Guru will be encouraging you stating that it is the final step. Some people sit on some lower step and do not climb the higher steps.  Such people can never get the highest fruit because when they die the human birth is again not assured.

      In Hinduism why continuous rituals are performed after the death?

      When householder dies the rituals are performed and the cow is donated (Godaana). This proves that a householder certainly goes to the hell because the cow is donated to help the householder to cross a river of blood and pus called Vaitarini flowing in the path of the hell. But when a saint dies these rituals are not done and the cow is not donated. The tradition itself proves that the householder who is doing all the rituals, worshipping the statues and doing Gayatri Mantra is going to the hell. A saint is not doing any one of these things and is doing only the propagation of divine knowledge. A saint does not mean removing the cross belt and putting the saffron cloth. The quaky uniform of an actor cannot make him a police. A police is valid while doing his duty even in mufti dress. Therefore a saint is He who works for the propagation of the knowledge. The rituals consist of two parts. 1) Prayers to the Lord 2) Sacrifice of fruit of work in the form of money to the deserving people. Prayers will give satisfaction and peace.

      The practical sacrifice will bring the fruit from the Lord. When a person is not doing these two things while he is alive, he is not getting anything when His son does these things after his death. The son will get the fruits and not the father or mother who died. Therefore one should pray the Lord while he is alive and get the peace and satisfaction. Similarly one should sacrifice the fruit of his work (food and money) to deserving people while he is alive. The food offered by the son will not reach the dead person. The Lord has made all the arrangements for food in the upper world. Even for a jailed person the government arranges food. The Lord will certainly arrange the food to all the souls present in all the worlds. The threat of giving food to the parents who died was given so that a greedy person is forced to do these rituals. But there is no truth in such threat. A person who did these things while he is alive does not aspire either for sons or for such rituals. Sankara, Vivekananda, Meera etc., who participated in the propagation of divine knowledge and devotion, did not have children and they never bothered about such rituals. Their path is the path of knowledge (Archiraadi Marga) as said in Gila (Ekayaa Yatya naa Vrittim). It is said that such people do not need such rituals “Nahi tena Pathaa Tanuthyajah, Tanaya Varjita Pinda Kankshinah” i.e., the people in the path of the service of the Lord do not require the son and such rituals after death.

      A person must be wise to pray the Lord and to donate a deserving person, while he is alive he should not depend on his sons for this after his death. In that unhappy moment the sons will not be able to get a proper deserving person to receive the fruit of the work (money and food). When they sacrifice the fruit to the undeserving persons, sin is purchased by the donation of food and money. Therefore it is better to do the donation while one is alive by searching a proper deserving person who can be the human incarnation of Lord or at least a great devotee of the Lord. If this real aim of the rituals is not understood, performing the rituals after the death are simply a waste, which are done as a formality. In such rituals the priests are reciting the hymns without knowing their meanings like tape recorders. The concept of prayer is completely lost in such recitation. When you donate to such undeserving tape recorders you cannot get the real fruit and you will get the sin in such rituals. If one has prayed the Lord and donated to the most deserving person while he is alive such rituals are not necessary for him after his death.

      at the lotus feet of shri datta swami

      surya

      www.universal-spirituality.org

      raj raje <zataka10@...> wrote:
      HI,
       What is importent is concentration. There are two ways leading to same goal. One is with low speed [ pippilika marg =speed of sunt/ ] .Other is high speed.[vingam marg = speed of an eagel].YYou can choose any method. BUT remember that there shall not be any stress. TAKE CARE.

      Delia Tofolean <deliatfn@...> wrote:
      Hi,

      did you think about Non-human Spirits, by these terms I indicate certain creatures who have never incarnated on any planet. They can assist or hinder u when one try to relax. For these reason the purification bath and incense burning is so important. Also the invocation of your Guru before you begin is of crucial importance. These Non-human Spirits can be creature of Light and one will share with them the blissful silence of cosmical love but they can be also of demonical nature who try to interfere in our soul and thoughts. The period of relaxation before meditation is the dangerous time when our subcounscious is open like the lotus flower in the morning sun. For this reason the protection system should be powerful. And very pure. And simple.

      Tony Osime2 <tony.osime@...> wrote:
      Hello Everyone,

      Thanks for your replies to my posts - they are much appreciated.

      One of the things I find so fascinating about meditation is how the
      experience can vary so greatly with just the most subtle changes in thoughts
      or actions. I guess this reflects the complexity of the mind where tiny
      changes in chemical balances can have dramatic effects on perception.

      Today I was in two minds whether to have a session or not since I was
      running late. As a compromise, I decided to have a quick session (about 20
      minutes). Since it was going to be a quick session, I decided to speed up my
      relaxation.

      Rather than relax at a very leisurely pace where mentally I am "twiddling my
      thumbs and whistling Dixie" waiting for my body to relax to the stage my
      session can start in earnest, I "pushed" my relaxation by taking very long
      breaths and signaling my heart to "pause" for a brief period at the end of
      each breath - not to physically stop, but just not to be so interested in
      the next intake of breath. The effect of this is that at the end of each
      breath there is a moment where everything seems to stop without a concern or
      desire to start again. It is a very peaceful interlude - a nice feeling of
      calm.

      Anyhow, in doing this I was surprised to find my session was similar to the
      way I meditated two or three years ago. At that time my work schedule was so
      hectic I could not give more than 20-30 minutes a day to meditation. This
      forced me to relax much faster.

      The forced or induced relaxation took me deeper than the more natural
      relaxation. I started feeling the beginnings of the euphoric bursts I used
      to have. While these euphoric bursts are very pleasant, I am not sure they
      are not a distraction.

      The surprise for me was that over time I had slowed down my relaxation (that
      is lengthened the period it takes to fully relax) and this had changed the
      character of my sessions - the euphoric bursts had stopped.

      The question for me now is which path is better? And I think I should not
      think about it. I should just let the process take its natural course.

      I thought I should share this with you. Please let me have your comments.

      ...Tony

      Yahoo! for Good

      Yahoo! for Good

    • jodyrrr
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 24, 2005
        <dattapr2000@y...> wrote:

        [snip]

        > The statue of Kalabhairava is in human form representing the
        > Lord in human form. Once you catch the Lord in human form the
        > Guru will say that you must worship Him with prayers (words)
        > and devotion (mind). Finally the Guru will say you must worship
        > Him by service practically. At every step the Guru will be
        > encouraging you stating that it is the final step. Some people
        > sit on some lower step and do not climb the higher steps.

        And some are blessed to know that it's all so much bunkem,
        that any guru is just another human being, most of whom
        know who they are, some of whom just think they know who
        they are. For instance, certain swamis who are convinced
        they are an incarnation of Dattatreya.
      • Delia Tofolean
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 25, 2005
          Hello Tony,

          Thank you for your kind reply.
          The beliefs we create can act on something very powerful which is hidden in us and we cannot see or control: our subconscient. You don't need to see the Non-human spirits - you can hear them (don't worry they are not like voices heard by schizophrenic people). It's a kind of music very sweet, etheric and far. And one can understand how music and silence are two chapter of the same book.

          The name of the book is the Blue Pearl

          Serenity, harmony and peace

          Delia
          Tony Osime2 <tony.osime@...> wrote:

          Hello Delia,

          Thank you for your comments on Non-human spirits.

          I must admit that I have never thought seriously of non-human spirits. While
          they are an element in my culture, the scientific approach to life is more
          dominate, or is getting more dominate. I see the use of spirits and
          scientific explanation as two approaches to explaining different phenomenon.
          While I am flexible enough to approach things from both perspectives, I feel
          that we actually create whatever we "see" - which might be why I have never
          seen these Non-human spirits. But now that I have planted the seed by
          thinking about it, maybe that will change. I will be sure to let you know.

          Incidentally, I used to use incense and go through pre-meditation actions.
          But over time, I have found that these things make no difference for me
          unless I believe that they do. It is interesting how the beliefs we create
          or accept end up controlling us.

          ...Tony

          Message: 2
             Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:34:37 -0700 (PDT)
             From: Delia Tofolean <deliatfn@...>
          Subject: Re: Relaxation Speed

          Hi,

          did you think about Non-human Spirits, by these terms I indicate certain
          creatures who have never incarnated on any planet. They can assist or hinder
          u when one try to relax. For these reason the purification bath and incense
          burning is so important. Also the invocation of your Guru before you begin
          is of crucial importance. These Non-human Spirits can be creature of Light
          and one will share with them the blissful silence of cosmical love but they
          can be also of demonical nature who try to interfere in our soul and
          thoughts. The period of relaxation before meditation is the dangerous time
          when our subcounscious is open like the lotus flower in the morning sun. For
          this reason the protection system should be powerful. And very pure. And
          simple.

          Hello raj,

          Thanks for your comments on not creating stress. I believe this to be very
          important in meditation. There was a time I used to think that if I did not
          do everything perfectly in meditation I would never achieve any worthwhile
          goal. All I did was create stress and disappointment. It is much better to
          sit back and enjoy the ride.

          There are times I feel that we have actually completed the journey and have
          decided to forget that fact so that we can enjoy the journey as if it were
          new.

          ...Tony

          Message: 3