Lost in translation

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      One of my greatest meditation challenges is to quell the mind chatter that
      distracts me as I go deeper into my sessions. One discipline that helps me
      is to see mind chatter (that is reasoning through words) as only one
      approach to understanding.

      There are others. For example simply seeing something or feeling something
      provides a different form understanding which does not need reasoning for it
      to be valid. The simple experience is sufficient.

      I am so conditioned to reasoning that I practically dismiss any experience I
      have not reasoned through. I feel a good exercise for me, inside and outside
      meditation, is to accept experiences without reasoning through them.

      What will help here is an appreciation that words are limited. Whatever I
      translate into words diminishes the underlying experience. Something is lost
      in translation.

      It might take years to undo the automatic reasoning that kicks in on every
      experience but I feel this appreciation is a start - with practice I should
      get better. And one day....
      (I will not need words!)
    • Rushikant Mehta
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2005
        Tony, you are a sound meditator. Does the reasoning not produce a sound wave ? Ever been attentive to that ? Can more emphasis on that lessen it on words, gnaw away your attachment to intellectualization & hasten your coveted "one day"?

        Tony Osime <tony.osime@...> wrote:
[...]

        May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.

      • Tony Osime
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2005
          Hello Rushikant,

          Thanks for your advice.

          Are you saying that if I focus more on the sound of what I say, I will
          "think" less about what I say?

          I can't wait to be free of intellectualization!

          ...Tony

          Message: 3
          Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:56:46 +0100 (BST)
          From: Rushikant Mehta <rushi_kant@...>
          Subject: Re: Lost in translation

[...]

          Health and wellness Alternative medicine Health wellness product Health and
          wellness program Health promotion and wellness Business health wellness

          May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.

          [This message contained attachments]

        • Rushikant Mehta

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 16, 2005
              We believe that thoughts arise from us- perhaps if we see that we choose them from a river of thought that is flowing around the mental plane; we can be allow each thought to flow away.
              There is a visualization I had written for my Focus and Perspective mailer that is on this: http://www.geocities.com/connector_1/message.html

              In loving light
              Meenakshi