LIFE AND LIBERATION

  • subhash naik
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19, 2005
      All life is struggle. Wherever we look, we see life involved in this frantic
      struggle. The animals of the earth, the aquatic life in the rivers and oceans of
      this world, the birds of the air-all are undergoing this struggle, and man is no
      exception. Just take a fish out of water and see how frantically it struggles for
      life. Throw a land animal into water and see its frantic and untiring struggle to
      get back into its own element for survival. Thus each type of created life has
      its own native element in which alone it can live and function.

      Man thinks he is in his element. And because he can fly and swim, he
      imagines he is in his element in all the elements. He imagines that just
      because he has discovered and perfected vehicles that can take him deep
      under water, and also high up into the atmosphere and into the near vacuums
      of space beyond, he has conquered the elements. Why then does he still
      struggle for existence? Why is he miserable? The poor think that once their
      poverty is eradicated they will be happy. But look at the rich and the affluent.
      They, too, are miserable. A stonecutter is able to sleep in a jolting lorry on a
      bed of crushed stones under the hot sun, but a rich man is unable to find
      sleep even on a comfortable cushioned bed, with his room air-conditioned for
      the very purpose of insuring restful sleep.

      The rich imagine that power and position will give them satisfaction and a
      sense of well-being; but the higher they rise, the more enemies they create,
      and the effort merely to retain their position seems to need efforts far beyond
      their capacities. Stresses appear, leading to breakdown of the physical
      constitution, mental embitterment, emotional imbalance, etc. Sleep is the first
      thing they lose, then progressively, health, peace of mind, happiness-and if
      they do not check the all-round decline in time, life itself.

      Perhaps they abandon the quest for wealth and power, and seek solace in
      intellectual pursuits or artistic pursuits, instead! It does not take them long to
      recognize that here, too, the happiness and peace of mind that they are
      searching for, eludes them. We thus find unhappiness, misery, and struggle to
      pervade all of human existence, and none born into this physical existence is
      free from it.

      The animals, birds, and fishes struggle only for physical existence. We
      humans struggle physically, mentally, and emotionally as well; having come
      to this conclusion, we rest, embittered and cynical misanthropes. Had we
      gone one more step ahead in that reasoning, we would have stumbled upon
      the real answer. 'Spiritual' is the term missing in the sequence, 'physical,
      mental, and emotional.' The true fact is that the land, air and water, which we
      consider to be our elements, and which we have conquered, are not our true
      elements. Hence, we are like fishes out of water.

      There are certain varieties of fish that spend a fairly long time on land when
      they come out to spawn. Are they happy there just because they are able to
      live a little longer on land than other species of fish? No! They are constantly
      flipping and flopping about, anxious to get their job done and to get back into
      their true element. Whales live in the oceans, and dive to the farthest depths,
      but they have to surface once in a while to breathe, because they are
      mammals. So the ability to live in an alien element is at best a temporary
      ability. For permanent existence-and existence of well-being, of peace of
      mind, of harmony-one's own natural environment is essential.

      And here we come to the crux of the matter. What is man's natural habitat?
      Where is it? The spiritual Masters answer that our real home is there where
      we have come from; and all our struggles of this physical existence reflect our
      deep longing to get back there, where we truly belong. A fish out of water
      frantically struggles for very life. It does not know why it is doing this. It cannot
      know that it has to get back into water. But it struggles strenuously
      nevertheless. If it gets back, it swims away serenely, once again in harmony
      with its nature. Our struggles are like that. That is why all humans, without
      exception, struggle here in this life: the poor as much as the rich, the sick as
      well as the healthy, the powerless as well as the powerful, the ignorant as
      well as the learned; all struggle. It is a natural struggle to get back where we
      belong, and in this struggle we are as blind as the fish that knows not what it
      wants, but is pressed forward by its inner nature to struggle, and go on
      struggling, until it gets back to its element or dies in the process.

      If we recognize the true nature of our struggles as the effort to get back to our
      original element-our real home, the spiritual abode of truth, bliss, and
      harmony-then our efforts begin to have a definite orientation. Our efforts, now
      geared to a definite goal, become purposeful. Forgotten are the merely
      human aspirations of health, wealth, power, and position. We recognize them
      as being temporary and ephemeral because our very existence here, being in
      an alien element, is temporary and ephemeral. Our efforts now take on the
      character of a guided approach to our goal of reaching our true, original
      home. This is also called Self-Realization or Liberation, a mental and spiritual
      condition one can attain and benefit from.

      Taken and modified from a speech by Shri. P. Rajagopalachari, President of
      Shri Ram Chandra Mission. Published in "Principles of Sahaj Marg, Set I.
      Pages 242-244".
    • prakki surya
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 19, 2005

        dear Naik & all

        In the materialistic plane one person says that the aim of his life is to achieve a particular post and then help his family members. Some other person says that the aim of his life is to serve the mankind. We appreciate the second aim as higher than the first one. The highest aim of the human life can be known only in the spiritual plane. The sole aim of this creation is pleasing God through the entertainment. Every human being is a part of the creation and so the same aim applies to every human being also. The human being becomes fruitful if it serves the Lord and pleases the Lord through the service. Service means the sacrifice of work and sacrifice of the fruit of the work. Service is the proof of the real love. The mother serves her child by sacrificing lot of work like giving bath, dressing etc., for years together continuously. The father serves the child by sacrificing the fruit of all his hard work to the child. It is a clear practical point that the proof of the real love is only service. If you serve your family you love your family. If you serve the entire world you love the creation. If you serve the creator, you love the creator. It is a very simple point.

        Love is the attraction of mind towards any body or any thing. When the illness attacks the body you take so much care to serve your body. You love your body. Similarly you serve your father, mother, wife and children because your mind is attracted towards them. What is the first pre-requisite for this love? When you love your child, you are aware that a particular small living being is your child and you have the differentiating knowledge of your child from other children who are similar. Similarly, when you love God you must be aware of the form of God, who must be differentiated from other forms as your child is differentiated from other children. You are identifying your child by certain special characteristics like shape of the face, voice etc; you are not recognizing your child by the clothes, which it puts on. Other children put on such clothes also. Similarly, you must distinguish the Creator from the creation and then only love the creator. You cannot love the entire creation as the creator. Do you love all the children as your own children? Therefore, the pre-requisite of love is the true knowledge and the inseparable identifying characteristics of an object by which you get attracted towards it. Therefore, what is the real form of God? And how it differs from other forms? What are the inseparable identifying characteristics of God? The answers for these questions constitute the detailed true knowledge of God. Only such true knowledge generates attraction and love. When you know the separate special details of Bombay, which are not seen in any other city, then only you are attracted to Bombay and like to see it.

        Before proceeding to the identifying true knowledge of God, you must also know the purpose of your attraction towards an object. You love your child, and there is no purpose in it. You also love a doctor when you are ill. But that love is not real. It is not love at all. It is only artificial apparent love exhibited for a purpose. You want the doctor to help you. Therefore, true love is that when there is no purpose in it. False love is that in which purpose is present. Generally almost all the people love God because God is omni-potent. He has miraculous powers to do anything, which is impossible for any body on this earth. When a problem comes and when one fails to solve it by all the means existing in this world, one starts loving God to solve that unique problem. Therefore, you love the position or power of God and not the God. A poet shows lot of love and appreciation on a king in his spontaneous poetry because the poet loves the power and the wealth of the king. He expects the king to donate some land or to give him some money after being pleased with his poems. The poet does not love the person who is the king. He loves the king only. Will he write the same poems if the king looses his kingdom and becomes a beggar? In his poetry the poet praised that the king is very beautiful with sweet voice and infinite wisdom. These qualities still remain with the king even if he has become the beggar. But the poet does not praise the same qualities of that beggar because the beggar cannot donate anything to him. The post of the king and the kingdom are separable characteristics, whereas the qualities are inseparable characteristics. You can easily identify the person by these inseparable characteristics and if your love on Him is real, you will love him whether he is a king or a beggar. Are you not loving your son and praise him whether he serves you or not? Sita garlanded and married Rama who will be the future king of Ayodhya. The love of Sita may be on Rama only or may be on the kingdom of Ayodhya for which she can become queen or may be both put together. Rama tested her love by discarding the kingdom and by going to the forest. Sita followed Rama to the forest. Her love was only on Rama and not on the kingdom. Ravana further tested this. Ravana offered her to become the queen. But she refused. Therefore, the love on God should be analyzed and should be decided whether God is loved or His omni-potent miraculous power is loved for our advantage. Some people want to take advantage in this world and some others want to take the advantage in the upper world so that they can be protected from the hell. In both cases the love on God is not true. It is only the love on his associated power. Sankara says that the true love on God should not have any desire related to this world or to the upper world (Ihaamutra Phala Viragah). If the love is on the power of the God only what is the use of the real form of God or the inseparable characteristics of the God? The poet loves anybody as the king. For him anybody on the thrown is beautiful and is very wise. In such case if the king donates the desired land or cash by seeing the poem written by a poet, the poet does not bother to see or talk with the king. Therefore, when we love GodÂ’s power for some advantage, we need not worry about His form or in seeing or talking with God. You can just chant the prayers. He responds to your prayers and your desire is fulfilled. In such case one need not see the God and the God also does not want to see his or her bloody face.

        at the lotus feet of shri datta swami
        surya

        http://mail.yahoo.com