Let It Go

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2005
      The Bible tells us that each man thinks his burden
      is the heaviest. For instance, the poor man looks
      at the rich man and envies him thinking his load in
      life is lighter. But, you'll recall that the fabled
      millionaire Scrooge spent virtually all of his time
      worried about people cheating him out of his fortune
      and was miserable.

      So, we see that self-pity weighs down virtually everyone.
      Similarly, we see that one of the most popular themes on
      the afternoon talk shows is "When we were in school, you
      made fun of me, but look at me now." And out comes either
      a gorgeous woman with a silicon enhanced body, and a
      surgically altered, cosmetic covered and hair dyed head,
      or a handsome, tanned, greased, and steroid enhanced
      muscular man. Usually the same story is told. They were
      so abused by the school bully that they spent thousands
      of dollars and years of bodywork just to prove them wrong
      and get them to regret their actions. The host then brings
      out the villain who says that they don't even remember the
      person, and even though they acknowledge that the person
      now is not someone they would make fun of, they no longer
      are the type of person who would do that kind of immature
      hazing anyway. How anticlimactic for the person who sought
      to get back at the long ago bully. So, it is reasonable for
      us to conclude that the person seeking revenge, or whatever
      you want to label it, wasted their time by carrying the hurt
      and suffering and would have been better off if they had just
      gone on their merry way. Our own perceptions of our burdens
      are just as unreal as Scrooge's or the guests on the TV shows,
      and there is certainly no need for us to keep carrying our
      feelings of frustration, anger, sadness, and so on.

      Now, what can we do to cease our needless load lugging?
      Our inner Chatterer is constantly labeling things and then
      judging them to be good or bad. We hold on to the pain and
      frustration of some of the things that we judge to be bad for
      years, and a few for the rest of our lives. This masochistic
      behavior is virtually always on a subconscious level.
      Fortunately, there is an experiential meditative concept that
      is a remedy for this sad paralyzing dysfunction. And that is
      to cease carrying negativity around and just be present, in
      the moment, and experience your life consciously as it takes
      place.

      There are two ancient teaching tales that help us understand
      the need to quit holding onto that which we should let go of
      and begin the process of paying attention to what is
      appropriate, healthy, and happy. The first deals with the
      ancient story of the two monks who had taken vows of celibacy
      as well as their other holy obligations. As they were walking
      they encountered a woman crying by the side of a creek. As
      they approached, with tears streaming down her cheeks, she
      told them she feared drowning and begged them to help her get
      to the other side of the river so she could go to her baby.
      With that, one of the monks picked her up on his shoulder and
      carried her across the stream. After getting down, she thanked
      him and left. The two monks went on their way. After a while,
      the monk who hadn't helped turned to the one who had helped
      the woman and said, "Why did you do that? We've taken vows of
      chastity and we're not even supposed to look at a woman, much
      less touch one!" He replied "When we got to the other side
      of the water, I put her down. Why are you still carrying her?"
      From this we learn that once life's events have taken place,
      they should not be taken with us. Our hands, heart, and mind
      should be open and available for the next experience that we
      are presented with.

      The next story helps us by teaching us where to look for
      direction and how. Look at your life as taking a boat ride
      from one shore to another. Right now, we're in the boat in
      the middle of the lake of life. As we've traveled, the boat
      has left a wake. The wake is analogous to our past, and like
      the wake a boat leaves behind, our past does not help propel
      us. If we spend our time looking back at our wake, we will
      be unaware of and unable to do anything about any hazards we
      are approaching. A wise ship's captain looks ahead to the other
      shore, aware of the present moment, and having equipped
      themselves with excellent navigational skills, through a
      lifetime of trial, error, and learning, is confident in their
      competence to steer the appropriate course.

      The lessons we learn from these stories are to let go and pay
      attention. Our inner Chatterer makes us repetitiously keep
      suffering from our past "bad". There is a Witness within that
      is ever present. It is the awareness that can, and does
      silently witness your mind's mentations, your emotional
      fluctuations, and your sense receptions. At every moment of
      your life, even in this very second as you read these words,
      by being at one with it, you have the opportunity to witness
      your life as it takes place. The more you Witness, the less
      you Chatter. Recognize the load you are carrying, put it down
      and let go of all the negativity it brings. You will then
      fill with the ever-present "good". For each of us there is a
      meditative path, be it mantra, breathing techniques, asking
      "Who am I", or whatever, that will lead us to being aware,
      and be more and more at one with our inner Witness. By grace
      this will become our eternal divine reality. Meditate.
      Persevere through trial, error, and learning, and inevitably
      you will live happily ever after.

      This article is from our newsletter, The Inner Travaeler,
      issue #5. The URL for one of our sample issue is:
      http://www.meditationsociety.com/it71808/index.html
      Enjoy!
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2007
[...]

        I put her down. Why are you still carrying her?" From
        this we learn that once life's events have taken place,
[...]

        This article first appeared in issue #5 of our
        newsletter, The Inner Traveler. It also can be
        found in the Concepts of Meditation section of our
        web site Meditation Station http://meditationsociety.com/concepts.html