WHAT DO YOU EXPERIENCE IN MEDITATION ?

  • subhash naik
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2005
      Meditation can be defined as an activity, which is to effect some sort of
      communion with the Almighty. We meditate on the abstract, the formless, the
      nameless, because the Ultimate has no form and no name; nor has it any
      qualities or attributes. Therefore, one of the important teachings of my Master
      is that God can only be experienced by His presence. And His presence is
      what we try to experience during our meditation. And, it is said that, as we
      meditate with our eyes closed, we are able to imbibe more and more of the
      essence of that Divinity for which we are aspiring, and elevate ourselves
      progressively, until a day comes, by His Grace, by His blessings, we are
      almost like Him.
      Light in the heart is the most abstract concept that you can have. It has no
      form, it has no substance, it has no weight. So from that as the starting point,
      as our meditation goes deeper and deeper, it reveals to us from within
      ourselves - by the Grace of the Almighty and by our efforts, it is a
      conglomerate of two things - who God is or what true Divinity means. And,
      there must be a time, when one day we can say, "I have an inkling of what it
      is, not because I have seen it, or touched it but because I have felt it."

      This is the most transcendental experience of all, that I feel Divine, because I
      am Divine. So Divinity - God - cannot be the object of knowledge, cannot be
      the object of perception, cannot be revealed by perception. But as my Master
      said, when we meditate, and the meditation is right and successful as it must
      be, we progressively draw whatever we can from the Divine Source, by
      progressively divinising ourselves; yet at no stage can that person say, "I am
      God". You may be like God in every way, in every quality, in everything that
      you can imagine; yet God is God and you continue to be the humble devotee -
      no doubt divinised to the highest possible extent - nevertheless, "He is what
      He is, I am what I am!"

      Always try to be alert to what is happening, and sensitivity will develop. Many
      people meditate. But I am sorry to say many of them don't know what is going
      on in the system during meditation. Because they do not watch for what is
      going on. One has to be alert to the transmission and its action on the system.
      Then the real joy of meditation begins. Whether a person has experience or
      not, the transmission will work and complete the job. But the real happiness
      comes when we know what we have got. (BY P. RAJAGOPALACHARI.
      PRESIDENT OF SHRI RAM CHANDRA MISSION.)
    • prakki surya
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2005

        I.      MEANING OF MEDITATION (DHYANAM)

             dear friends

        Some people say that meditation is sitting with perfect silence without any process of thought.  Such a contention is meaningless because it virtually amounts to a nice sleep only.  These people further misinterpret that such a meditation is concentration on formless God (Nirakara).  Gita says that one cannot concentrate on formless God (Avyakthahi Gatih).  The meditation of formless God becomes true if one concentrate on the true knowledge of God.  Veda says that true knowledge is the real form of the Lord (Satyam Jnanam Anantam Brahma).  Knowledge is formless.  Therefore the formless God means only the true divine knowledge about the Lord.  This is the correct interpretation of Sankaras philosophy.  The great ancient Vedic sages sat in the formless meditation and this statement means that they concentrated on the divine knowledge (Brahma Jnana), which was expressed as Upanishaths in their mutual discussions (Satsanga).

        The actual meaning of the word Dhyanam is the process of functioning of intelligence (Dhee or Buddhi) and this pertains to the field of knowledge (Vijnanamaykosa).  Some people interpret that meditation means concentration on the form of the Lord like the light blue colour, peacock feather on the head, flute in the hand etc.,  Instead of concentrating mentally upon such objects, one can see these things in a photo or see the objects directly kept on a table.  If these things constitute the divinity there is no need of concentrating on these things.  One can attain the divinity by applying light blue colour on his own body, by putting a peacock feather on the head and by catching a flute by hand.  Such a divinity can be attained without any meditation.  So meditation becomes meaningless in such a line.  This is the reason why Sankara discarded the meditation of a form (Saguna Brahman).  Ofcourse attraction by such things towards the Lord will help a person to develop the attachment on the Lord.  One may be attracted to Lord Krishna by such things and then finally get attracted towards His divine knowledge as preached in Bhagavatgita.

        Such things may be initial promoters but the final is only the divine knowledge, which will help any one in his effort (Sadhana) to please the Lord.  The divine knowledge resulting in the realization will impart a tension free peace and tranquility to the mind.  By such state one will attain perfect health of body and mind and thus the benefit is directly seen here itself.

        Ex:- If one realizes that this gross body of the soul is only the external dramatic dress as said in Gita (Vaasamsi Jeernani), he will immediately realize that these family bonds are only the bonds in the drama.  The soul forgets the bonds of the previous birth as an actor forgets the bonds of previous drama.  If these bonds are real the soul should have remembered its relatives of the previous birth.  Such a divine knowledge on memorization enters the nerves of a person and he will not have any tension about his family members.  He does his duties without any trace of tension.  This is the salvation while alive (Jeevanmukthi).  Thus meditation means continuous remembering of the divine knowledge which yields the direct fruit here itself.  Such a person gets a fruit in the upper world also.  The only one Lord is the authority here and there also.  Anybody blessed here will be blessed there also.  If one is not blessed here he is not blessed in the upper world also.  The grace of the Lord or the anger of the Lord is uniform here and there.  One who is not blessed here cannot be blessed there.  Thus the true knowledge blesses any person here and there.  Meditation is continuous thinking of such knowledge and other interpretations are either useless or of little use.

        at the lotus feet of shri datta swami

        surya

        http://mail.yahoo.com