Re: [Meditation Society of America] logic and meditation

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
      Dear Michael and All,
      What is written here is so very accurate! The next issue of The Inner
      Traveler will have a sub-theme about Fear, so I see dealing with this
      as most beneficial to spiritual evolution. And what can be seen in
      Michael, Ganga, Judi, and others who post here, is an absence of fear.
      They have all encountered it, faced it, and seen that the "I" who was
      afraid isn't real. Once seen, no need for fear, and no focal point for
      it to focus and intensify. And then the fun begins. It was always
      there, but we tended to run away from "not fun". And after facing
      fear, Fun is fun and funny and Not Fun is fun and funny. As they say
      on the street, "It's all good".
      "Michael Read" <maread@t...> wrote:
      > Hello Tony.
      >
      > Meditation fallacies? Hmm...sure to be someone who would object but
      the greatest fallacy is that meditation practice will ensure
      enlightenment. There are Zen teaching stories that illustrate this.
      And yet meditation is part and parcel of Zen teachings.

      > If meditation practice will not guarantee enlightenment, why
      practice? Looked at this way there is nothing to be gained by
      meditation, eh? But, consider meditation as a looking within and we
      can begin to see that the who and what we think we are is not who we
      are. In other words, we can begin to see through the fallacies that we
      hold to be truths.

      > All manner of things can occur during a meditation session. Joys,
      ecstacies, fears, emotions, visions, transports of all kinds.
      Meditation is a turning within, self examination as it were. It can be
      a fearless examination of the internal picture show where we throw can
      everything on the line or it can be just more distraction.

      > When fear arises we may want to run from it and find the bliss. When
      we do the fear simply follows us. It waits, we think it is trying to
      trap us or bind us somehow. What it is really doing is trying to tell
      us to accept everything. We wil always be followed by our fears until
      we learn to turn and examine them, see through them, accept them let
      them dissolve.

      > Well, I suppose I have wandered a bit from your origional
      suggestion. But, I think the best way to dissolve fallacies about
      meditation is to meditate and see what happens. :-)

      > love and blessings - michael

    • judirhodes
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Dear Michael and All,
        > What is written here is so very accurate! The next issue of The
        Inner
        > Traveler will have a sub-theme about Fear, so I see dealing with
        this
        > as most beneficial to spiritual evolution. And what can be seen in
        > Michael, Ganga, Judi, and others who post here, is an absence of
        fear.
        > They have all encountered it, faced it, and seen that the "I" who
        was
        > afraid isn't real. Once seen, no need for fear, and no focal point
        for
        > it to focus and intensify. And then the fun begins. It was always
        > there, but we tended to run away from "not fun". And after facing
        > fear, Fun is fun and funny and Not Fun is fun and funny. As they say
        > on the street, "It's all good".
        > Peace and blessings,

        ********
        "I saw what I had been doing all my life very clearly, and there was
        no way I could deny it. Stunned, I got up from my meditation mat and
        went outside, soon finding myself walking down the hill on a dusty
        gravel road way out in the middle of nowhere, laughing wildly, then
        crying, then laughing again, at the absurd, embarrassing, beautiful
        truth of it."

        -- Scott Morrison

        Have fun! :-0
        Judi
      • tosime
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
          Hi Michael,

          Thanks for such a brilliant answer. It really hit home for me. This was one
          of the fallacies I lived under - and I am not sure I have escaped it yet!

          I like your approach of meditating to see what happens - I look forward to
          meeting all my fallacies.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
            You are most welcome, Tony. You mention escaping. and I assume you mean the fear(s). I wish I could tell you that escape is possible...unfortunately, it isn't. Delay, however, is the norm for us human beings. My sink full of dirty dishes is a prime example. I was going to do them when I got home but doggone-it-all I recieved a cut on my palm today and it needs to heal before doing the dishes. Gee - it is always something.

            The quote of Scott Morrison's that Judi posted. That is what happens. Now, trying to make it happen may not give the results one is looking for. And that is the delay, right there. It is almost built in. We have layered a set of great expectations onto the concept of awaking/enlightenment/understanding. We expect the Bliss, the Joy, the Light, the Holy Name of God, cosmic Awareness, Powers, infinite Love...and so on. Or, we may be desireing to somehow reconnect with the Divine.

            There is no use blaming anyone, or the circumstances of your life for having built up this huge barrier of expectations. The hurdle is there and something must be done about it. But what? Jump it and it another takes it's place. Go around and you still want to jump it. Knock it over and trample it to pieces and you just glue it back together again.
            The hurdle is only in the mind, it is illusion. So, let it go - let it be. Instead take a look at that thing which is creating the barrier. Turn from the hurdle and look at who is trying to jump over, go around.

            In my experience it IS scary when one does this. I read that Ramana felt fear before he let go. You see, finally, that the very hanging onto being you is the only barrier. You see, finally, that the illusion of this world extends even to oneself. Scary? You know it!

            To find a glimpse of how it all turns out read the Zen Ox-herding story. Here is a good rendition of the tale. http://www.mro.org/zmm/artgallery/oxherd.html

            When the revolution comes - it will be worth it. You will survive.

            ciao - michael

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor