WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF MEDITATION ? BY P.RAJAGOPALACHARI ( PRESIDENT OF S.R.C.M)

  • subhash naik
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27 3:57 AM

      What is the Purpose of Meditation?

      Meditation is a process. It is a process which we undertake to reach a
      destined goal, a predetermined goal. I don't say, "Well, this train is going; let
      me go wherever it goes! I will end up in Howrah, instead of Vijayawada, and
      there also I will get down only because the train has reached a junction or a
      terminus."

      Meditation is a training to apply the mind for the purpose of regulating the
      mind by our efforts. If it is automatically regulating itself, why should we
      meditate? We are already rishis! As Babuji said, the whole purpose of
      meditation is to make a reversal in this fact of life that the mind is our Master.
      We have to become the Master of our mind. It is only this much, just reverse it.
      But this we have to do, you know. It is like riding a horse. You have to ride it
      and train it. You cannot show a book and say, "Allow me to ride you properly.
      This is what a good horse should be!" You have to ride, you have to risk being
      thrown a few times, you have to ride it gently, but with total control over its
      reigns. You must be kind, yet you must be firm.

      The mind should be regulated by our sadhana; and this can be possible only
      by the initial discipline of applying it to meditation. This means that a little
      discipline is first necessary to bring about the bigger discipline and the
      ultimate discipline. So, this little discipline is what we need, first physically,
      that little discipline of coming to meditate first; mentally, that little discipline of
      trying to meditate on what we should be meditating upon; thereby achieving
      greater and greater regulatory control over our own mind; which leads to
      greater and greater physical discipline resulting out of that. Because it is the
      mind which feeds into the body its actions, its desires.

      Therefore, meditation is the most important activity, if we want to discipline
      ourselves. Because initially, it makes mental discipline possible; that makes
      physical discipline possible, regulating our lives; bringing order into it;
      generating more and more mental discipline; resulting in a self-sustaining
      cycle - you know some sort of cycle which sustains itself which makes our
      goal achievable. Therefore, without this little discipline, the goal cannot be
      achieved. So the goal is possible as long as we have some discipline within
      us.

      If there is no mental discipline, physical discipline cannot exist. That is why we
      meditate; to achieve regulation over the mind, make it disciplined, make it
      possible for us to apply the mind where we choose, apply it, not use it, apply it
      - and thereby achieve a 100% strength of the mind, which makes possible
      that promise of yoga , that a yogi will be skillful in anything he does.

      WHY WE DON'T MEDITATE ON OTHER POINTS? The point between the
      eyebrows - at this point there is a plexus, a yogic centre located which is
      responsible for distributing power through the system, the power of existence
      - shakti as we call it in Sanskrit. When one meditates here, one has the ability
      or one achieves the ability to control shakti as such. The same reasoning
      applies to meditation on the point of the nose, where we are told, you can
      acquire certain different siddhis, for instance the ability to see things which
      you don't see with the eyes, smell things which you don't smell with the nose.

      In Sahaj Marg , power has nothing to do with spiritual evolution. In fact one
      evolves to the highest and one has, one day, to slip out of one's body into the
      hereafter. All power, all other achievements are left behind here. So what
      does one do with power? Power is something that one uses so long as one is
      in this temporal world, temporal existence and it falls off.

      WHY WE DO NOT MEDITATE ON OTHER OBJECTS AND FORMS? How do I
      meditate on the Divine? My Master says, "So long as you meditate on limited
      forms, limited names, there is a limitation. The moment you say Shiva, he is
      only a Shiva, may be, with Trishul and this and that and the snake around the
      neck. The moment you say Vishnu, he is only a Vishnu." So my Master says,
      "Go beyond these forms, they are only functionaries of Nature. One is the God
      of creation, one is the God of preservation, one is the God of destruction. They
      are functionaries. The ultimate principle is that which you call the PARA which
      has no names, no forms no attributes." He has no form; so, we don't have a
      form. He has no name, so, we don't have a 'mantra' in our system.

      When we try to meditate with two systems, or two gurus, or two different
      warring things in our mind, even if one is good in itself, we are damaging
      ourselves. Therefore, bear in mind, meditation only according to the system -
      which ever system you adopt. If you want to take to Sahaj Marg meditation
      you should take to it completely, fully, to the exclusion of everything else. We
      cannot have two Gods; we cannot have two methods; we cannot have two
      concurrent currents in the mind. It is like trying to create vegetarian beef. It's
      not possible.