logic and meditation

  • tosime
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hi Michael,

      Thanks for the nice link.

      I was wondering if we could take this further and look at meditation
      fallacies?

      Could we come up with our favorite meditation fallacies and share them with
      others.

      I can set the ball rolling with a few.

      1) The longer the meditation the better

      From my personal experience longer meditations are not necessarily "better".
      It seems like we adjust for the length of time we have for meditation. Again
      from my personal experience, after about 10 to 20 minutes, additional time
      is not proportional to benefit. The 10-20 minutes has something to do with
      how long it takes for certain physical reactions to take place.

      2) A perfect lotus position is required if you want to be a serious
      mediator.

      I spent many months in agony trying to perfect my mediation position. I did
      not seriously start to meditate until I found a comfortable position.

      ...Tony