Re: [Meditation Society of America] Digest Number 1346

  • tony.osime@firstsmi.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2005
      Hello Jody,

      Thanks for your explanation on subpersonalities.

      Please could you tell me more about subpersonalities.

      What are they?
      Where do they come from?
      How do they operate?
      What purpose do they serve?
      Can we create them?
      Do they have seperate lives?
      Should we encourage them?
      Why do they stay in the background so much?
      Are they related to split personalities?
      Does meditation have some influence on our undertsanding of them?

      I hope these are not too many questions. That encounter I had has sort of
      haunted me for 30 odd years. I have never spoken to anyone about it because it
      was so outside of general experiences and topics of discussion.

      I look forward to any light you can shine on this encounter.

      Regards...Tony

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2005
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, tony.osime@f...
        wrote:
        > Hello Jody,
        >
        > Thanks for your explanation on subpersonalities.
        >
        > Please could you tell me more about subpersonalities.
        >
        > What are they?
        > Where do they come from?
        > How do they operate?
        > What purpose do they serve?
        > Can we create them?
        > Do they have seperate lives?
        > Should we encourage them?
        > Why do they stay in the background so much?
        > Are they related to split personalities?
        > Does meditation have some influence on our undertsanding of them?
        >
        > I hope these are not too many questions. That encounter I had has
        sort of
        > haunted me for 30 odd years. I have never spoken to anyone about it
        because it
        > was so outside of general experiences and topics of discussion.
        >
        > I look forward to any light you can shine on this encounter.
        >
        > Regards...Tony

        Yo Tonyji,
        I (whoever that is:-) thought I would put
        my 2 cents in here. To me, the most important thing
        about your encounter is that your inner Witness
        noticed it. Similarly, whenever you are in the
        ...shall we say..."Witness mode", you will be
        available to see these different phantom manistifications,
        these everchanging (lower case) "i's", and will understand
        their operations and all the fluctuating drama
        they bring. And you will be able to discriminate
        and be dispassionate about their shenanigans. This inner
        Witness is your real I, and sits in silent yet
        knowing awareness eternally internally, and when
        the false little i's are dropped, gives One the
        Self-control that only comes after surrendering
        all control to the big Thy (will be done) in the
        sky, earth, sea, within, without, etc. And meditation
        is the best venue to still our out of control mind
        that has erected barriers that hide our real unity will
        all and everything, and present us with the totally
        uncomfortable and frightening illusion of our
        being separate from the rest of creation. By Grace the
        ...let's call it "The Completed I " is revealed and
        we then seek no more as we have experiental ongoing
        awareness of who "I" am, and there are no longer any
        questions about "they" or "we" or "our" as you have
        in every one of your questions above (and within:-).
        And we live happily ever after.

        > > Message: 5
        > > Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:07:49 -0000
        > > From: "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@y...>
        > > Subject: Re: Ego
        > >
        > > The ego does not generally have one single voice, but
        > > many, known as subpersonalities. The ego is the constellation
        > > of these. What you are describing is the activity of a
        > > particular subpersonality in contrast to the others.
        > >
        > > Subpersonalities form alliances and divisions based on
        > > their own set of needs and expectations. Thus, one can
        > > single itself out and "speak" against the others if that
        > > one's needs/expectations are not being met.
        > >
        > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Osime"
        > > <tony.osime@f...> wrote:
        > > > Hello everyone,
        > > >
        > > > This is an interesting thread on ego.
        > > >
        > > > I have a question.
        > > >
        > > > Has anyone had an "encounter" with his or her ego?
        > > >
        > > > This is a hard question to ask and explain but let me try.
        > > >
        > > > I have a sense that our "ego" can operate as a separate entity
        from our
        > > > normal mind. It can communicate with us when it decides
        to "step out of
        > > > line".
        > > >
        > > > The model I have of our mind is not one single entity, but a
        number of
        > > > entities all standing in line, as it were, like a line of
        soldiers, one
        > > > behind the other. Let us say that the major one is the first
        one in the
        > > > line. The "ego" to me is one of these soldiers. Occasionally -
        for
        > > me, very
        > > > rarely, it can step out of line and protest.
        > > >
        > > > The first (and really only) time I experienced this was about 30
        > > years ago
        > > > when I was experimenting trying to enter different states of
        > > consciousness
        > > > as I was falling asleep. I thought it was just innocent fun
        until
        > > suddenly a
        > > > voice shouted at me, "stop playing around and let us get some
        sleep". I
        > > > froze with fear. I had no idea where the "voice" came from. But
        it
        > > sounded
        > > > very familiar in a strange way. I later concluded that it was
        one of
        > > "my"
        > > > voices - I will call it my "ego's voice" because it seemed like
        my
        > > ego that
        > > > was talking, or rather protesting. My sense is that protests
        come
        > > from the
        > > > ego.
        > > >
        > > > Would you say this was an "encounter" with one's ego? Has anyone
        > > experienced
        > > > anything like this? I hope I am sane!
        > > >
        > > > ...Tony
      • jodyrrr