ego

  • rushi_kant
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2005
      Plz lemme throw open a question to our group.

      What is ego ? Why it is always condemned in spirituality ?

      rushikant.
    • byron1786
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19, 2005
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "rushi_kant" <rushi_kant@y...>
        wrote:
        > Plz lemme throw open a question to our group.
        >
        > What is ego ? Why it is always condemned in spirituality ?
        >
        > rushikant.

        Hi Rushi,
        From one student to another,not everyone condemns the ego. What is the ego?
        I think of it as our identification with attributes. If I think of myself as this or that, the ego
        arises. This is our usual attitude, which creates the illusion of separateness and powers the
        endless drama of everyday life. In the words of Nisargadatta Maharaj, ("I Am That", pp59
        -60) "Separate consistently and perseveringly the `I am' from `this' or `that'and try to feel
        what it means to just be, just to be, without being `this' or `that'. All our habits go against
        it"........." The clearer you understand that on the level of mind you can be described in
        negative terms only, the quicker you will come to the end of your search and realize your
        limitless being."

        Why condemn anything? Obstacles are intrinsic to life and make for challenges and
        interest. "The inclusive mind is love in action, battling against circumstances, initially
        frustrated, ultimately victorious." Q:"Between the spirit and the body,is it love that
        provides the bridge?" M: "What else? The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it." ("I
        Am That", p8).

        Also, from"I Am That",p144, M: "In life nothing can be had without overcoming obstacles.
        The obstacles to the clear perception of one's true being are desire for pleasure and fear
        of pain. It is the pleasure-pain motivation that stands in the way. The very freedom from
        all motivation, the state in which no desire arises is the natural state." Q: "Such giving up
        of desires, does it need time?"
        M: "If you leave it to time, millions of years will be needed. Giving up desire after desire is
        a lengthy process with the end never in sight. leave alone your desires and fears, give your
        entire attention to the subject, to him who is behind the experience of desire and fear.
        Ask: who desires? Let each desire bring you back to yourself."

        So, it might be useful to you to ask, Who is it that is asking the question about ego and
        condemnation? And if you find the subject troubling rather than just an object of simple
        curiosity, you could investigate why you are bothered. Byron Katie has developed the best
        approaches I've so far encountered in dealing with troubling thoughts. The basic
        information is free, on her website, which can be found by googling.

        Thanks for your question, brotherly best wishes, Byron
      • jodyrrr
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2005
          <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
          > Plz lemme throw open a question to our group.
          >
          > What is ego ? Why it is always condemned in spirituality ?

          Due to a misunderstanding of the nature of embodiment.

          Ego is simply the sense of individual self which manifests
          with the running of the organism. Realization is the direct
          and ongoing revelation that we are not the ego. But the ego
          keeps running. If it didn't, we would not be able to eat,
          move or communicate.

          > rushikant.

          --jody.
        • vishal pandya
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19, 2005
            hi rushikant

            i got it

            see ego is the base of spirituality because there are two things god
            means a nature and a man means our presence if we are included in the
            nature then our and natures exixstence is the same.

            so in this we have to remove the existence of ourselves and mix a
            personality in the nature then the reall joy of nature will started

            thanks