logic

  • Michael Read
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2002
      Here is a link to a page that presents the various forms of weak or circular type logic arguments. It not only defines them but also describes ways to detect them.

      http://ec.hku.hk/acadgrammar/general/argue/illogic/detectin.htm

      The idea is to be able to detect flaws in logic as others present their position(s) on whichever topic. What might be interesting is to apply the rules to one's own logical perception of things. Or not...grin.

      ciao - michael

    • tosime
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
        Hi Michael,

        Thanks for the nice link.

        I was wondering if we could take this further and look at meditation
        fallacies?

        Could we come up with our favorite meditation fallacies and share them with
        others.

        I can set the ball rolling with a few.

        1) The longer the meditation the better

        From my personal experience longer meditations are not necessarily "better".
        It seems like we adjust for the length of time we have for meditation. Again
        from my personal experience, after about 10 to 20 minutes, additional time
        is not proportional to benefit. The 10-20 minutes has something to do with
        how long it takes for certain physical reactions to take place.

        2) A perfect lotus position is required if you want to be a serious
        mediator.

        I spent many months in agony trying to perfect my mediation position. I did
        not seriously start to meditate until I found a comfortable position.

        ...Tony