Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 6, 2005
      The family that blades together stays together.
      The newest knife that has appeared is a Bowie
      made of heat treated 1095 steel with a Juniper
      Burl wood handle. It was made by me, my son and
      my daughter-in-law during their visit last week.
      It was so much fun sharing the sparks flying,
      the wood taking shape and and the smells of a
      shop alive with machinery and laughter. It will
      soon be on it's way to Arkansas where I hope the
      kids will enjoy it as much as we did its creation.
      You can see it in the photo section (pic#74).
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 21 12:37 PM
        Pictures #78 and 79 in the photo section show the
        latest knife to appear. It has an ironwood
        handle and sterling silver guard, as well as a 1095
        steel blade and a 12" overall length. I have found out
        that the 3-D effect that changes the woods flamelike
        appearance as the sunlight hits the wood from different
        angles is called chatoyancy. It is caused by sap that
        creates a transparant layer, which lets the light
        reflect in different directions off the grain at the
        heart of the wood. It's beauty is remarkable. This
        seems to me to be analagous to how meditation creates
        a transparancy in us that lets our light shine forth.
        So, all I can say (I imagine for the 1st time ever on
        a "spiritual" forum) is "Let's be chatoyant!":-)
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 8, 2006
          In the Photo section, Miscellaneous Album,
          pictures 81 and 82 are of the latest in the
          ongoing series of having knives appear from
          what was simply steel, brass, and wood. This
          was the first time I had used Box Elder Burl
          wood and it was the most friendly one I have
          ever worked with. It seemed to assume its shape
          easier than any other wood I've used. As I do
          various motions with my body it is like magic
          witnessing the knife make its appearance. Very
          thought stopping and just as transcendant as
          many of the meditation techniques I've done.
          And as usual, the "doing" requires a great degree
          of being present in the moment, or one can easily
          end up with fewer fingers and appendages.
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 24, 2006
            There is a new picture (#9) in the Photo
            section titled Zen and the Art of Knifemaking.
            It shows 10 blades ready to be heat treated,
            and then to have guards and handles put on
            them. It has taken months to get them to be
            as they now are from their original state of
            solid steel bars. From the time the first one
            was finished to the time the last one was
            done, I found many things about knifemaking
            that were unknown to me at the start. This
            led me to redoing the way that the first one
            was constructed, and now it should be very
            much more likely to last years longer in heavy
            use than it would have before. This came only
            by persevering in my quest to gain greater
            proficiency in this craft. This was very
            similar to the way I see people develop in
            their meditation practice. At first we may have
            little knowledge of how, where, and when to do
            what. But soon we get some hold on the "how-to",
            and all the rest, and have some experiences that
            bring us to greater understanding, and eventually
            this leads us to be able to fine tune our practice.
            And we become more functional for years after. And
            so, I suggest that you persevere in this most
            beneficial craft.
          • corkey galloway

              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 13, 2006
                There are 2 new pictures in the Photo
                section titled Zen and the Art of
                Knifemaking (#10 and 11) that are of
                the latest knife to appear. This one
                is a Japanese style kitchen knife that
                Bette, my wife, will be using to cut
                up veggies. It's the 1st one that I have
                made for a specific use and the first
                that I have made for her, so I had
                a very definite intention when I started
                its construction.
                I had a nice bar of damascus steel to use
                and also a beautiful block of Ironwood to
                use for the handle. Motivated by wanting
                to do something good enough for Bette,
                who always has done everything for me
                so very well, and also wanting to do
                justice to the fine materials I had
                to work with, I witnessed myself having
                a special feeling as I went about the
                different steps that are involved in knife
                making. I would describe this as "having an
                aim" more than simply desiring something.
                This aim, the intention, the gratitude for
                the opportunity to (in a very small way)
                "repay" Bette, gave my actions an energy that
                carried with it an easier than usual flow
                that brought this knife to birth without
                "me" seeming to be there with the usual
                inner chatter that I witness so often as
                I try to "do" things. No judging, no ongoing
                commentary, just movements with a "dedication"
                that was palpable. I had no feeling at all that
                "I" was doing anything. Then, a knife was there.
                It's 11 1/2" long, 2 1/4" wide, and has a brass
                and nickle silver mosaic pin and a nickle silver
                bolster. The 6 1/2" blade has a hollow grind and
                is very thin and sharp. I don't know if there is
                any of me in this knife, but I'm sure there is a
                lot of Bette and lots of gratitude too.
              • kurt_kurosawa
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
                  I sent a post but I don't know where (your account is set up not to
                  receive e-mail), so at the risk of repeating myself and generally
                  being totally off-topic:

                  - About the smell, it pays to wear a respirator. The particulates in
                  the air can be themselves harmful, little sharp shards of steel that
                  you don't want moving and grooving in your lungs when you cough.
                  Then there's the chemical aspect, e.g. cocobolo is toxic and other
                  natural materials may be allergens. And since you're working with
                  bone from (presumably) overseas, it would be hard to completely
                  discount the possibility of inhaling microorganisms/spores.

                  - I see you're using 1095, a very good steel, but if you're getting
                  a little "boomerang" in the quench, you might want to give O-1 a
                  stab (so to speak). I love O-1, so forgiving and can be
                  differentially drawn. For the quench, get a coffee can full of auto
                  tranny fluid, heat it to 125 F (by sticking a bar of hot steel and a
                  candy thermometer in it).

                  - 5160 is cheaper; it's (as the name says) nominally 0.60% carbon
                  but it also has 0.2% silicon and 0.7% chromium. A little tougher and
                  can be hardened up near the 60s. I'm in the Tidewater Virginia area
                  and if you live nearby (you don't want to pay shipping) I have a few
                  pounds (maybe something like 30 feet in 3 or 3.5 foot lengths) of
                  1/4 x 1" 5160 I can give you free.

                  Best, Kurt

                  PS my favorite meditational incense is sweet coal smoke, see if the
                  library has books by Alexander Weygers, he explains how to make your
                  own forge from a coffee can and anvil from a piece of railroad
                  track, and gives instruction on beating hot steel.
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 5, 2006
                    Yo Kurt,
                    Thanks for all the great advise. I think you have
                    well demonstrated one of the most surprising
                    things I have found out about in the past 2 years,
                    and that is that the community of knifemakers is
                    one of the most generous in freely sharing their
                    knowledge, and more so than virtually any other group
                    I have been involved with. And unfortunately, that
                    includes many groups who are supposedly dedicated
                    to seeking "Truth". But, you have also found one of
                    the truly selfless people in the...shall we call it
                    ... "Enlightenment Community", and that is Sandeep.
                    For much more of his sharing, check out his excellent
                    web site: http://www.the-covenant.net/
                    Now for some Zen and the Art of Knifemaking talk:
                    I have just posted the latest knife that has brought
                    together steel, wood, and brass to produce a tool that
                    should last for much longer than the physical human
                    body that was involved in its arising. It can be seen
                    in photo's #13 and 14. 1095 steel again for the 12 3/4"
                    blade and 17 1/2" total length. Much like a regular
                    practice of meditation fills one up with a stable
                    spiritual energy, the beautiful buckeye burl wood has
                    been through a process called stabilization that has
                    strenghtened it and will keep it from warping and
                    losing its functional ability for years to come. It's
                    hand formed brass guard will protect the users hands
                    just as faith and prayer are said to do. I do intend
                    to use other types of steel in the future as it is my
                    nature to want to experiment with many ways to do the
                    same thing (as can be seen by the dozens of different
                    meditation techniques on our web site, Meditation Station
                    http://www.meditationsociety.com ). And if I lived closer
                    I would certainly take you up on your kind offer of steel,
                    but I live in the Lancaster area, just outside Philly.
                    As for using proper respiratory safety equiptment, you are
                    100% correct. And I do. Just as we should have an environment
                    that is free from negative stressors when we meditate,
                    every place we are in should be free from toxicity.
                    It was after the fact that I found my work area
                    filled with the (potentially dangerous) stink
                    of odors that grinding bone had released. And that was
                    with using an air cleansing machine! And just like it may take
                    quite a while for the negative mental, emotional and physical
                    things we begin with to be cleansed with our meditative
                    practice, it took several days of keeping the doors open
                    and the air filtering going to get the air clean again.
                    In any event, I've rattled on perhaps too much.
                    Thanks again for sharing.

                    snip

                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 21, 2006
                      The photo section now has 2 new pictures
                      in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking
                      albums (pics 15 and 16). The first is
                      a 12 1/2" long maple burl handled knife
                      with a brass guard and a 1095 steel blade.
                      The second is 19 3/4" long and has a
                      beadblasted 1095 steel blade, and a brass
                      and steel guard with a buckeye burl handle.
                      I again found the focusing that takes place
                      during the construction process brings about
                      an excellent "high". Unlike tossing around
                      concepts and words to make some point, you
                      must be very focused and one-pointed when
                      working with tools, machines, and sharp things,
                      or some of the points you make can quickly end
                      up in you. And there is no doubt that the more
                      one practices, the better one gets at IT.

                      When done working on any specific craft or task,
                      the intense inner and outer focus that was idealy
                      used during the creative process need not end just
                      because you leave your workshop, as the whole world is
                      your real working environment, and perfect attention in
                      every moment is always appropriate...and a great "high".
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 29, 2007
                        In the Photos section, in the Zen and
                        the Art of Knifemaking album, pictures
                        29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 show a few of the
                        newest knives to appear. They once were
                        just steel, brass, nickle-silver, and
                        exotic woods, and now they are tools that
                        can be expected to last far longer than
                        the collection of atomic and pre-atomic
                        materials that held them and attended
                        to their arrival. "I" did not will them into
                        existence or do much else but serve as
                        a vehicle of their transport from one form
                        to another. It's also a time when different
                        labels can be attached to them, but will
                        that in any way help or prevent their use?
                        Of course, it can be said and seen by some
                        that originally they were just other
                        forms of atomic and pre-atomic material
                        that Mother Earth, or who/whatever caused
                        to come together. And now can't we say if
                        not see that that has again happened? Can
                        I/we really say in honesty "I did that!"?
                        The same collection of flesh and bones and
                        emotion and mentation producing material
                        can be pointed to in one way as "doing", but in reality
                        aren't thoughts, emotions, and bodily activity
                        just things that happen to the neurology of
                        the physical body that we reside in for a given
                        moment. And when that body is asleep, doesn't
                        mental, emotional, and physical activity cease
                        occurring? Your neuro-system is on Pause. But
                        the Earth isn't, and the Solar System isn't,
                        and the Milky Way Galaxy isn't, and our local
                        Galactic Cluster isn't, and our Super Galactic Cluster
                        isn't, and this and other universes aren't on Pause.
                        And don't their action and interaction "count"?
                        And yet we claim to be able to make things happen!
                        Even if we are awake, can we assert for sure
                        that we won't trip on our face when we get up from
                        reading this? And yet we claim we have "will".
                        And "self-control". And "can do". Isn't that hilarious!
                        But there is one thing we can do and that is to
                        witness our life as it takes place. We have been
                        given this freedom, but it is the rare wo/man that
                        takes advantage of this great Grace. And most just
                        look out of the 5 sense box they are stuck in and
                        judge, compare and comment on what flows by, rehashing
                        the past and fantasizing about the future, and never
                        look within to the infinite and eternal that is
                        ever present and available. And here's where
                        meditation comes in. There is no better way to cease the
                        filling up our our box with chatter and litter. And
                        when the box is empty of trash, it can and will fill
                        with the beauty of the universe. The gift that humans
                        have been given is the freedom to ascend and transcend
                        the trap that each sense and trying to make sense
                        brings about. When we just (as St John said) "Let IT Be",
                        and do no-thing, then we're really doing something.
                        And sometimes what happens is pretty sharp!
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 9, 2007
                          Since I last posted pictures of the
                          knives that I had a hand (actually 2
                          hands) in making, there have been
                          a dozen more that have appeared.
                          They can be seen in pictures #84 to 112 at:
                          http://tinyurl.com/54ma6
                          I have no real idea how they came to be
                          a part of this dream that pretends to be
                          "my life", but when I look around, they
                          seem solidly present. I have really grown
                          to appreciate the fine beauty of their
                          wood handles and the form they have taken
                          in a way that is similar to the way I
                          appreciate more traditional art work.
                          Prior to taking part in this craft,
                          knives were just knives and wood was
                          just wood to me. I am now in awe
                          of the amazing textures and designs
                          that are in the woods and acknowledge
                          the artist who created them as a master.
                          But as a witness to my inner chatter,
                          I see that the potential to criticize
                          this great display of divine beauty
                          is ever present. And I laugh, fascinated
                          by the moronic commentary that would
                          interrupt my contact with the gift I
                          have been given in my ability to
                          appreciate and "get off on" something
                          so exquisite. So I tell my chatterer
                          to be still and embrace the moment and
                          then let it go. And then smile with
                          the silence and emptiness that shouts
                          with joy as it fills with bliss. Now
                          that's some sharp knives!
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 6, 2008
                            In the photo section, you will find additions
                            to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
                            pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
                            dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
                            Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
                            general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
                            is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
                            most beautiful type of steel. They both are
                            fine examples of why I think that nature provides
                            the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
                            the creation of this knife I was aware that what
                            needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
                            conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
                            similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
                            distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
                            been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
                            to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
                            see the end result and always get further unable
                            to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
                            will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
                            arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
                            very common for the universe to demonstrate how
                            naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
                            be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
                            you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
                            myself of thinking I can make knives and have
                            accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
                            into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
                            when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
                            found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
                          • Aideen McKenna
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 6, 2008

                              Actually, she says “That’s a Good Thing”.  You can hear the capital letters when she says it.

                              Aideen

[...]

                              Checked by AVG.

                              Checked by AVG.

                              Message 14 of 27 , May 7, 2008
                                "Aideen McKenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

                                > Actually, she says "That's a Good Thing". You can hear the capital
                                letters
                                > when she says it.
                                >
                                > Aideen

                                Yo Aideen,
                                You're right - when she speaks, it's often in Caps.
                                A small coincidence is that when my wife read the
                                post she said that she tought all of the "Thy
                                will be done" quote should be in caps. I guess
                                all these Higher Power types command special attention!
                                Knifemaking

                                > In the photo section, you will find additions
                                > to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
                                > pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
                                > dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
                                > Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
                                > general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
                                > is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
                                > most beautiful type of steel. They both are
                                > fine examples of why I think that nature provides
                                > the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
                                > the creation of this knife I was aware that what
                                > needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
                                > conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
                                > similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
                                > distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
                                > been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
                                > to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
                                > see the end result and always get further unable
                                > to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
                                > will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
                                > arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
                                > very common for the universe to demonstrate how
                                > naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
                                > be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
                                > you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
                                > myself of thinking I can make knives and have
                                > accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
                                > into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
                                > when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
                                > found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
                                > Peace and blessings,
                                > Bob

                                > Checked by AVG.
                                5/06/08
                                > 5:17 PM

                                > Checked by AVG.
                                5/06/08

                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 11 11:02 AM
                                  In the photo section, in the folder "Zen
                                  and the Art of Knifemaking", you will
                                  find a new knife that features Mammoth
                                  tooth handles. As I was witnessing the
                                  assembly of this knife taking place,
                                  there was a unique feeling of an ancient
                                  connection present. The obviousness of
                                  handling a 30,000 year old object and
                                  being extra careful to not mess it up
                                  also brought about a special awareness
                                  that is hard to label, but can perhaps be
                                  represented by saying that the usual "just
                                  witnessing and letting flow whatever may flow"
                                  attitude had an extra effortless effort
                                  energy added to it. I just saw an episode
                                  of "American Dad" last night where the Dad
                                  had souped up his car so he could drag
                                  race with it (to impress his wife), and at one
                                  point he hit a switch that ignited a nitro burst
                                  that made the car blast off extra quickly.
                                  And that's sort of how I felt during this
                                  particular knife making session. It really
                                  seemed to touch the semi-eternal nature of
                                  Mother Earth. I can't wait to see what using
                                  meteorite will feel like!
                                  The pics are # 45 and 46. And to see many
                                  more Zen and the Art of Knifemaking blades:
                                  http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
                                    Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                                    and like what seems like just very few knife
                                    makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                                    is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                                    Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                                    for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                                    I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                                    I do try not to miss religious events, and
                                    sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.

                                    After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                                    with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                                    please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                                    probably somewhat transcendental fun.

                                    PS: You can see the knives at:
                                    http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 26, 2009

                                      > Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                                      > and like what seems like just very few knife
                                      > makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                                      > is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                                      > Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                                      > for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                                      > I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                                      > I do try not to miss religious events, and
                                      > sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.
                                      >
                                      > After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                                      > with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                                      > please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                                      > probably somewhat transcendental fun.
                                      >
                                      > Peace and blessings,
                                      > Bob
                                      > PS: You can see the knives at:
                                      > http://www.bobroseknives.com

                                      Well, we just got back from the show and it
                                      was very pleasant, fun and interesting. Nice
                                      people, good conversation, lots of amazing
                                      knives by some of the most talented makers
                                      in the world. As is available in every moment,
                                      lots of new in-sights and out-sights. I also
                                      was pretty surprised to find right around the
                                      corner quite a coincidence. There was the Belyea
                                      Electric Supply Company, and just as Papajeff
                                      deals with Transformation, they specialize
                                      in Transformers. Yes, this incarnation is always
                                      at least semi-interesting!
                                      Peace and blesings,
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
                                        The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
                                        very ancient handle materials. One is from
                                        mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
                                        30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
                                        and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
                                        years old.
                                        As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
                                        a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
                                        when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
                                        or in the company of a holy being, saint or
                                        newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
                                        the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
                                        Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
                                        is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
                                        are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
                                        that flew through, and still remains. And now the
                                        beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
                                        environments is now visible and to me is a
                                        demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
                                        universe that are available within and without.
                                        I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
                                        in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
                                        creations.
                                        PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
                                        in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
                                          This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
                                          http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                          at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
                                          If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
                                          methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
                                          spend time with you. This show is really unique
                                          even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
                                          know of where they not only sell weapons and
                                          ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
                                          Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
                                          But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
                                          practice your non-distractability, keeping
                                          calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
                                          So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
                                          a safer environment than some college campuses, and
                                          we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
                                          evolve in consciousness.

                                          Visitor Information
                                          LOCATION
                                          The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

                                          DIRECTIONS

                                          TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                                          Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                          TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                                          Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                          FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
                                          Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                          FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
                                          Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                          FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
                                          Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                          FROM THE NORTH:
                                          Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                          FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
                                          Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                          FROM HERSHEY:
                                          Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                          FROM LANCASTER:
                                          Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                          FROM YORK:
                                          Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                          FROM LEBANON:
                                          Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                          FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
                                          Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                                          FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
                                          Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 4, 2012
                                            Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
                                            show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
                                            in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
                                            http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
                                            The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
                                            attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
                                            and techniques with several of our members who were there,
                                            and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
                                            what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

                                            One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
                                            great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
                                            masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
                                            a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
                                            of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
                                            all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
                                            right along the same path.

                                            Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
                                            If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
                                            and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
                                            web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 7, 2012
                                              I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
                                              the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
                                              Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
                                              I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
                                              with several of our members there in past shows and
                                              look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
                                              venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
                                              serve beer!?!?!?
                                              Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
                                              for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
                                              the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
                                              They're so nice that one may not even notice the
                                              hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
                                              kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
                                              make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
                                              or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
                                              my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                              Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
                                              teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
                                              become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
                                              and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
                                              Hope to see you soon!
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
                                                OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
                                                gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
                                                member and a friend of his have started to make knives
                                                and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
                                                to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
                                                unusually informative meditative experiences...
                                                IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
                                                yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
                                                that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
                                                attention where one's individual identity melts away and
                                                a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
                                                Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
                                                still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
                                                itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
                                                using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
                                                BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
                                                should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
                                                being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
                                                almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
                                                heat subside.
                                                Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
                                                wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
                                                  Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
                                                  meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
                                                  for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
                                                  this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
                                                  Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
                                                  http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
                                                  There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
                                                  about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
                                                  destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
                                                  these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
                                                  evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
                                                  Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
                                                  the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
                                                  "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
                                                  and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
                                                  someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
                                                  their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
                                                  control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
                                                  how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
                                                  So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
                                                  BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
                                                  http://www.bobroseknives.com
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                                                    Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                                                    the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                                                    accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                                                    Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                                                    people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                                                    be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                                                    reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                                                    other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                                                    small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                                                    In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                                                    discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                                                    mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                                                    perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                                                    like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                                                    meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                                                    "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                                                    I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                                                    words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                                                    there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                                                    in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                                                    just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                                                    As Gurdjieff put it...
                                                    "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                                                    harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                                                    (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                                                    forum)