The Writing Assignment

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      Thanks to Judi Rhodes for sharing this jem....
      Well, here is a true life example from the Phoenix College.
      An English Professor assigned his students to a joint writing
      exercise that quickly degraded - check it out...

      "Today we will experiment with a new form called the tandem story.
      The process is simple. Each person will pair off with the person
      sitting to his or her immediate right."

      "As homework tonight, one of you will write the first paragraph of a
      short story. You will e-mail your partner that paragraph and send
      another copy to me. The partner will read the first paragraph and then
      add another paragraph to the story and send it back also sending
      another copy to me. The first person will then add a third paragraph,
      and so on, back and forth."

      "Remember to re-read what has been written each time in order to
      keep the story coherent. There is to be absolutely NO talking outside
      of the e-mails and anything you wish to say must be written in the
      e-mail."

      "The story is over when both agree a conclusion has been reached."

      The following was actually turned in by two of my English students:
      Rebecca (last name deleted), and Gary (last name deleted).

      THE STORY:

      (First paragraph by Rebecca)
      At first, Laurie couldn't decide which kind of tea she wanted. The
      chamomile, which used to be her favorite for lazy evenings at
      home, now reminded her too much of Carl, who once said, in

      happier times, that he liked chamomile. But she felt she must
      now, at all costs, keep her mind off Carl. His possessiveness was
      suffocating, and if she thought about him too much her asthma started

      acting up again. So chamomile was out of the question.

      (Second paragraph by Gary)
      Meanwhile, Advance Sergeant Carl Harris, leader of the attack
      squadron now in orbit over Skylon 4, had more important things to
      think about than the neuroses of an air-headed asthmatic bimbo
      named Laurie with whom he had spent one sweaty night over a year
      ago. "A.S. Harris to Geostation 17", he said into his
      transgalactic communicator. "Polar orbit established. No sign of
      resistance so far...But before he could sign off, a bluish particle
      beam flashed out of nowhere and blasted a hole through his ship's
      cargo bay. The jolt from the direct hit sent him flying out of his
      seat and across the cockpit.

      (Rebecca)
      He bumped his head and died almost immediately, but not before he
      felt one last pang of regret for psychically brutalizing the one
      woman who had ever had feelings for him. Soon afterwards, Earth
      stopped its pointless hostilities towards the peaceful farmers of
      Skylon 4. "Congress Passes Law Permanently Abolishing War and Space
      Travel," Laurie read in her newspaper one morning. The news
      simultaneously excited her and bored her. She stared out the window,
      dreaming of her youth, when the days had passed unhurriedly and
      carefree, with no newspapers to read, no television to distract her
      from her sense of innocent wonder at all the beautiful things around
      her. "Why must one lose one's innocence to become a woman?"
      she pondered wistfully.

      (Gary)
      Little did she know, but she had less than 10 seconds to live.
      Thousands of miles above the city, the Anu'udrian mothership launched
      the first of its lithium fusion missiles. The dimwitted wimpy
      peaceniks that pushed the Unilateral Aerospace Disarmament Treaty
      through the congress had left Earth a defenseless target for the
      hostile alien empires who were determined to destroy the human race.
      Within two hours after the passage of the treaty the Anu'udrian
      ships were on course for Earth, carrying enough firepower to pulverize
      the entire planet. With no one to stop them, they swiftly initiated
      their diabolical plan. The lithium fusion missile entered the
      atmosphere unimpeded. The President, in his top-secret mobile
      submarine headquarters on the ocean floor off the coast of Guam, felt
      the inconceivably massive explosion, which vaporized poor, stupid,
      Laurie and 85 million other Americans. The President slammed his fist
      on the conference table. "We can't allow this! I'm going to veto that
      treaty! Let's blow 'em out of the sky!"

      (Rebecca)
      This is absurd. I refuse to continue this mockery of literature.
      My writing partner is a violent, chauvinistic semiliterate adolescent.

      (Gary)
      Yeah? Well, you're a self-centered tedious neurotic whose attempts
      at writing are the literary equivalent of Valium. "Oh shall I have
      chamomile tea? Or shall I have some other sort of F***ING TEA???
      Oh no, I'm such an air headed bimbo who reads too many Danielle
      Steele novels."

      (Rebecca)
      A**hole.

      (Gary)
      B****.

      (Rebecca)
      Get screwed.

      (Gary)
      Eat sh**.

      (Rebecca)
      SC*** YOU - YOU NEANDERTHAL!!!

      (Gary)
      GO DRINK SOME TEA - B***h.

      (TEACHER)
      A+ - I really liked this one. Only group to get an A.
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2005
        Oh, man. A hoot. You gotta
        give Judi credit for a her
        wonderful sense of humor.
        SHE is a hoot. I think I've
        written that before.

        Reminds me of a tea story
        of my own:

        My wife, Susan, in the lock
        down ward of the health nuts,
        order some tea from the
        Amazon, called Shipibo.
        Not being a tea drinker,
        I turned down her offer
        to share a cup.

        As she looked over the
        literature that came with
        the tea shipment, she noted
        a suggestion that the tea
        leaves left over after making
        tea, could be integrated
        into the soil of plants.

        We have a lot of house
        plants. One has particularly
        heavy leaves that droop over
        the side of the pot. Susan
        picked this one for her
        first experiment. I shrugged.

        The next morning, the leaves
        of that plant were standing
        straight up firm and tall.

        "I'll have some of that tea, now."
        were my first words that morning.

        Jeff

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        >
        > (Gary)
        > Yeah? Well, you're a self-centered tedious neurotic whose attempts
        > at writing are the literary equivalent of Valium. "Oh shall I have
        > chamomile tea? Or shall I have some other sort of F***ING TEA???
        > Oh no, I'm such an air headed bimbo who reads too many Danielle
        > Steele novels."
        >
        > (Rebecca)
        > A**hole.
        >
        > (Gary)
        > B****.
        >
        > (Rebecca)
        > Get screwed.
        >
        > (Gary)
        > Eat sh**.
        >
        > (Rebecca)
        > SC*** YOU - YOU NEANDERTHAL!!!
        >
        > (Gary)
        > GO DRINK SOME TEA - B***h.

        > (TEACHER)
        > A+ - I really liked this one. Only group to get an A.
      • Nina
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
          <jeff@m...> wrote:
          > The next morning, the leaves