FAITH (from the book REALITY AT DAWN BY RAMCHANDRA

  • subhash naik
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2005
      Will, faith and confidence are the elementary factors which contribute to an
      easy success on the path of realization. Strong will to achieve reality means
      that we are inwardly awakened to the thought of recognizing Self. We
      proceed on with the idea and select a path. The very first thing to be looked to,
      seriously, is that the path we select is the right one, leading directly to our
      goal. It is, therefore, quite essential to have in our mind a clear and definite
      conception of the final goal. Now the final goal of different people may be
      different in many respects, and consequently, means to achieve it may also
      be different. We have thus to select the right path leading directly to the final
      goal for which we aspire. Hasty judgement in the matter often leads to
      disappointing results, for it is just possible that the path you have been
      persuaded to adopt may not be the right one leading to your destination.
      Often by adopting a wrong course you lose sight of the real thing and are led
      into false conceptions and illusions. If you persist on the same course your
      final approach to reality becomes impossible. This often happens when you
      unfortunately fall under defective guidance and wrong training. It is, therefore,
      absolutely necessary at the very outset to try every possible means to judge
      that the path you have adopted for realization is really the right one. Do not
      follow a path because it is the oldest, for the oldest one may be most ill-suited
      to the changed conditions of the world and the society. Do not follow a path
      because it has been followed by the majority of men, for the majority may not
      always be right and is more often led by only a chosen few, who, in all
      possibility might have been misled. We must be thoroughly considerate in
      judging the merits of a thing, applying all possible means at our disposal. We
      should never come to a hasty conclusion without due consideration and trial,
      through the help of reason and experience. When we are, finally convinced of
      the merits of the thing we may stick to it with faith and constancy. Faith thus
      reposed shall be genuine and lasting while faith promoted by inducement
      offered by outwardly attractive features and display of pretty materialistic
      achievements is no faith at all but may rightly be termed as persuasion. It has
      no stable foundation to rest upon and disappears under ordinary adverse
      circumstances.

      Gross type of worships of idols in the solid material shapes and rigid
      adherence to forms, symbols and rituals do not actuate real faith. It is pure
      and simple materialism which promotes prejudice, and not the true faith in the
      heart of those who pursue it. They believe blindly in what they are induced to,
      without applying their reason or judgement and are not in the least inclined
      even to consider any other course. I find people acknowledging the efficacy of
      certain other means of direct approach to Reality but still they are not
      prepared to follow them because, as they say, they cannot get away from the
      path they have already adopted. They have in fact, no faith in reality but only
      faith in forms and symbols which may rightly be termed as prejudice. It means
      that their vision has become limited and they do not want to rise high to seek
      Reality. Their fate is sealed and they remain in the same confined sphere for
      ever. In fact, what keeps us down, checking us from rising higher cannot be
      termed as faith. It is consequently very essential for every one to fix his eyes
      on Absolute Reality with faith and confidence and to adopt ways, helpful and
      conducive to Self-realization. We then march on up to the final point where we
      assume the same pure form we had at the time of creation. For that we have
      to renounce necessarily all our belongings of Samskaras, Maya and egoism,
      and grow lighter and lighter at every step. Heaviness of mind or internal
      denseness caused by gross forms of worship is thus a great impediment to
      our spiritual advancement and should be avoided. If they maintain it with
      ever-increasing intensity they remain entangled in the thorny bushes of
      grossness and deception far removed from the realm of perpetual bliss.

      The other important factor of a spiritual life is faith in the Master, for as I have
      already said before, the help of a capable master is indispensable for higher
      spiritual attainments. He is the only medium through whom the divine impulse
      comes to an aspirant. It is, therefore, but essential that the guide we select
      should be one of highest capability and practical attainments. To judge the
      real worth of the guide we must associate with him for some time trying and
      testing him by all means in our power. When we are thus convinced of his
      capabilities through reason and experience we may accept him as our Master
      and submit to his guidance. If we disregard this principle we are likely to be
      deceived in our judgement. We must never follow any one blindly having
      been attracted towards him by his outward imposition and display of
      knowledge. For proper judgement of the true merits of a man we must take
      into account his practical attainments in the spiritual field. We must seek in
      him the real thing, we crave for. When we are thus convinced, we naturally
      begin to feel an inward attraction for him and think him to be the very person
      who can shape our destiny. The feeling gradually develops into faith and we
      begin to love him. We submit to his views with due regard to his personality
      and proceed along the path under his guidance. The experience of
      achievements gained during the course convinces us further of the
      extraordinary capacities of the master and we begin to look upon him as a
      superhuman being. Our faith now is greatly helpful to us in our spiritual
      progress. It dispels clouds of doubt and uncertainty and removes difficulties
      and obstructions from our path. Faith is really the foundation of the entire
      structure of spirituality. Faith in reality, faith in the right course you have
      adopted for realization, faith in the worthy Master whom you have submitted
      to, this is the rock upon which you must build your edifice of spirituality if you
      really aim at success. You will thereby be possessed of an internal force,
      strong enough to shatter all the forces of evil that might be surrounding you. It
      will help you to draw fresh divine impulse whenever you require it.

      Some people take a very erroneous view of faith. They believe that faith alone
      is enough to solve their problem of life no matter what the path they have
      adopted, or the guide they have submitted to might be. Nothing probably can
      be more misleading than this absurd belief. Is it ever possible for a man to
      reach Calcutta by taking up just the opposite direction? Can a man ever
      become a selfless saint by submitting himself to the guidance of a self-
      seeking impostor? Can a man ever free himself from the bonds of attachment,
      prejudice and pride by following a self-conceited hypocrite inspired with the
      feeling of attachment with the worldly objects and of self-aggrandizement?
      We must never be led away by a mere outward glittering aspect of a thing but
      should go deep into it to discover reality at the bottom. Inducement based on
      outward show of knowledge, eloquence or power, promotes blind faith which
      in most cases leads to disastrous results. A conscientious man will never
      allow himself to be led away blindly into delusion by such false impositions
      which have no real significance in the spiritual field. Blind faith is no doubt
      greatly advantageous only when the path you have adopted is by accident
      the right one and the guide you have selected is really the proper person of
      the highest calibre who is devoid of all feelings of attachment and pride. Your
      unshakable faith in such a Master shall then lead you to the farthest limit of
      spiritual attainment for you shall then associate yourself with Reality.

      Faith, in true sense, is a lively link connecting the mortal with the Immortal. It is
      no doubt effected through the medium of the Master who is himself connected
      with the Immortal. The link when once connected cannot be broken under any
      condition and subsists all along during the course of our march up to final
      point. It is one of the six Sampattis of the third Sadhana of Yoga. At this stage,
      faith is real and genuine and is so firmly established that a man cannot even
      for a moment get away from it. The reasons for this are, however, beyond his
      understanding. Before this stage, faith is really artificial and is formed, lost or
      regained many a time for a variety of reasons. A worthy master shall never
      rely upon it and shall put up with all the emotional outbursts of love and
      devotion of a disciple, looking forward patiently for the time when he comes
      up to the final stage of Shraddha (faith) as depicted in the four Sadhanas of
      Yoga when the real faith begins to assume the form of self-surrender. True
      faith is really an unspeakable virtue which is beyond the scope of religion, it is
      the dauntless courage which leads us on to success, it is that ubiquitous force
      which makes our path smooth, it is in fact the only thing that solves our
      problem of life.