Re: God and higher consciousness

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2005
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Osime"
      <tony.osime@f...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone,
      >

      > It has been a while since I last posted. I skim the daily digests
      > occasionally so I may not be fully up to speed on the various threads.
      >
      > I would like to share an insight I gained during a recent meditation
      > session. Please could I have your thoughts and comments.
      >
      > As I waited for my usual mind chatter to subside, one of the last
      > thoughts that came was "why are you doing this?". Meaning, why was I
      > relaxing my mind chatter away. As if in response I got a sense that I
      > was simply accessing a higher level of consciousness that was not
      > normally available to me, partly because of my mind chatter.
      >
      > I then had a sense (this is thought without thinking) that this higher
      > level of consciousness was very similar or the same as that accessed by
      > people when they invoke God through prayer or other means.
      >
      > While I accessed this higher level of consciousness it gave me a
      > solution to a problem I was having that was completely unreasonable but
      > effective.
      >
      > What I find interesting is that there is no language with this higher
      > consciousness. It boils down to being so still and present that you are
      > receptive to the very subtle hints it gives you. It would be very hard
      > live this way but my thinking is that enlightened people do live within
      > this higher level of consciousness.
      >
      > Please can I have your thoughts.
      >
      > ...Tony

      Yo Sri Tonyji,

      Your post is something everyone who
      meditates can now, or eventually, will
      be able to relate to.

      The "Inner Chatterer" is the villain in
      this drama we label as life. Meditation
      can in part be described as the activity
      of gaining control over this ever active
      usurper of our attention.

      Real prayer/concentration is quieting the
      Chatterer to such a degree that God's
      wisdom can be heard and Her/His love can
      be felt. This may not be a forever state,
      but better to have known love once than
      never to have known it at all.

      Meditation, as opposed to concentration
      (which it really isn't in opposition to),
      is when God's "good stuff" envelops and
      fills you. Or more acurately, the illusion
      of separateness is re-moved, and the Truth
      that has always been behind the curtain is
      revealed. And this can happen without
      actually sitting in meditation or praying,
      or doing self-inquiry, or any "doing", but
      for thousands of years, the most viable
      precurser to both moments of clarity and
      also to a life of an ongoing awareness of
      God's presence and presents, has been
      experienced mainly by those who actually
      do meditate, and not just chatter about it,
      without or within.

      Thanks you for sharing. I always enjoy your
      contributions to this forum and value it
      greatly.

    • Tony Osime
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2005
        Hello everyone,

        Thanks Lisa and Bob for responding to my previous post.
        (I had to travel suddenly so I was not able to respond right away).

        Lisa, I had to read your post a few times to understand it better. I am
        not sure I fully understand what you are saying but I do have a sense of
        your personal experience and deep insight. When I meditate I am
        sometimes torn between a fear of the unknown and a sense that I am being
        guided so that I will not encounter more than I can manage.

        The image I sometimes have of enlightened people is that they are
        experiencing life like a movie in which they are one of the actors. It
        does not matter much what role they play, as they get to see the film as
        a whole and enjoy it.

        Bob, thanks for kind words of insight and encouragement.

        ...Tony
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2005
          To actually live within that higher level of conscious and
          > do mundain tasks on a daily basis ... I think that would be difficult
          > because much becomes contradictory.
          >

          > Lisa*~

          Hi, Lisa -

          Enlightened living accepts