God and higher consciousness

  • Tony Osime
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      It has been a while since I last posted. I skim the daily digests
      occasionally so I may not be fully up to speed on the various threads.

      I would like to share an insight I gained during a recent meditation
      session. Please could I have your thoughts and comments.

      As I waited for my usual mind chatter to subside, one of the last
      thoughts that came was "why are you doing this?". Meaning, why was I
      relaxing my mind chatter away. As if in response I got a sense that I
      was simply accessing a higher level of consciousness that was not
      normally available to me, partly because of my mind chatter.

      I then had a sense (this is thought without thinking) that this higher
      level of consciousness was very similar or the same as that accessed by
      people when they invoke God through prayer or other means.

      While I accessed this higher level of consciousness it gave me a
      solution to a problem I was having that was completely unreasonable but
      effective.

      What I find interesting is that there is no language with this higher
      consciousness. It boils down to being so still and present that you are
      receptive to the very subtle hints it gives you. It would be very hard
      live this way but my thinking is that enlightened people do live within
      this higher level of consciousness.

      Please can I have your thoughts.

      ...Tony
    • visibleinpublic
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2005
        I find two points personally very interesting. The first is about the
        recognition of the concept "why are you doing this?". I've had that
        one too. After going through a concentrated phase of meditation this
        one came up more often. Subsequently, in essence, I became aware of
        this ... concept, is the best way I can word it, that this type of
        contact shouldn't be done frequently. Almost to the point that while
        on this planet with a physical body this type of thing is not
        necessary on a regular basis. Further into continuing to meditate, I
        came to understand this to mean that there is an inate part that is
        this that we try to contact already in us and there is also a problem
        with making such contact at certain 'phases' (like while you are on
        this planet and have a physical body) ~ primarily because this is how
        you (we as people/doing this people in physical thing) differentiate
        being here or doing this too. I noticed also that it actually
        initiates the end to having separate states of being ~ little
        prematurely. After 'hearing' this, I also started to notice much more
        of a difference to going within relative to what you are doing
        (physical planet/body) to relative to whence you came.

        The other point that you bring up which I find interesting is about
        enlightened people. From readings only ~ not personal meetings ~ it
        seems that many 'enlightened' people don't do a whole lot. Some are
        well taken care of by their followers ~ it's not like they are holding
        down a job, have a family and need to clean the gutters this weekend.
        I think there is a difference between following a routine
        you can do really deep and intense things and you will know things
        that are not discussed. I really believe personally, from my own
        personal experience, that many call enlightened follow a particular
        path ~ follow accepted 'techniques' or routines but may never really
        be driven by a desire to know specifics.

        Putting the two points together it makes me think. I know that we
        intentionally separate ourselves ~ that is a small part of the
        beginnings of individualization. And if you spend too much time
        connected to what you are already, you can develop complications with
        how you are intentionally separate. The enlightened may really be
        attempting to find the right balance between individualizing and still
        being one of the whole. I think this is different than when some
        enlightened ones seem to be trying to be here but not be here. What is
        the point of doing this if you are going to do it like you are not
        doing it? To actually live within that higher level of conscious and
        do mundain tasks on a daily basis ... I think that would be difficult
        because much becomes contradictory.

        Thanks for sharing this.

        Lisa*~

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Osime"

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 24, 2005
          <tony.osime@f...> wrote:
          > Hello everyone,
          >

          > It has been a while since I last posted. I skim the daily digests
          > occasionally so I may not be fully up to speed on the various threads.
          >
          > I would like to share an insight I gained during a recent meditation
          > session. Please could I have your thoughts and comments.
          >
          > As I waited for my usual mind chatter to subside, one of the last
          > thoughts that came was "why are you doing this?". Meaning, why was I
          > relaxing my mind chatter away. As if in response I got a sense that I
          > was simply accessing a higher level of consciousness that was not
          > normally available to me, partly because of my mind chatter.
          >
          > I then had a sense (this is thought without thinking) that this higher
          > level of consciousness was very similar or the same as that accessed by
          > people when they invoke God through prayer or other means.
          >
          > While I accessed this higher level of consciousness it gave me a
          > solution to a problem I was having that was completely unreasonable but
          > effective.
          >
          > What I find interesting is that there is no language with this higher
          > consciousness. It boils down to being so still and present that you are
          > receptive to the very subtle hints it gives you. It would be very hard
          > live this way but my thinking is that enlightened people do live within
          > this higher level of consciousness.
          >
          > Please can I have your thoughts.
          >
          > ...Tony

          Yo Sri Tonyji,

          Your post is something everyone who
          meditates can now, or eventually, will
          be able to relate to.

          The "Inner Chatterer" is the villain in
          this drama we label as life. Meditation
          can in part be described as the activity
          of gaining control over this ever active
          usurper of our attention.

          Real prayer/concentration is quieting the
          Chatterer to such a degree that God's
          wisdom can be heard and Her/His love can
          be felt. This may not be a forever state,
          but better to have known love once than
          never to have known it at all.

          Meditation, as opposed to concentration
          (which it really isn't in opposition to),
          is when God's "good stuff" envelops and
          fills you. Or more acurately, the illusion
          of separateness is re-moved, and the Truth
          that has always been behind the curtain is
          revealed. And this can happen without
          actually sitting in meditation or praying,
          or doing self-inquiry, or any "doing", but
          for thousands of years, the most viable
          precurser to both moments of clarity and
          also to a life of an ongoing awareness of
          God's presence and presents, has been
          experienced mainly by those who actually
          do meditate, and not just chatter about it,
          without or within.

          Thanks you for sharing. I always enjoy your
          contributions to this forum and value it
          greatly.

        • Tony Osime
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 29, 2005
            Hello everyone,

            Thanks Lisa and Bob for responding to my previous post.
            (I had to travel suddenly so I was not able to respond right away).

            Lisa, I had to read your post a few times to understand it better. I am
            not sure I fully understand what you are saying but I do have a sense of
            your personal experience and deep insight. When I meditate I am
            sometimes torn between a fear of the unknown and a sense that I am being
            guided so that I will not encounter more than I can manage.

            The image I sometimes have of enlightened people is that they are
            experiencing life like a movie in which they are one of the actors. It
            does not matter much what role they play, as they get to see the film as
            a whole and enjoy it.

            Bob, thanks for kind words of insight and encouragement.

            ...Tony
          • Jeff Belyea
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 29, 2005
              To actually live within that higher level of conscious and
              > do mundain tasks on a daily basis ... I think that would be difficult
              > because much becomes contradictory.
              >

              > Lisa*~

              Hi, Lisa -

              Enlightened living accepts