Thank you for the warm welcome! > Bob

  • Christy Putnam
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2005
      Hi Bob!

      I so appreciate your warm welcome and words of encouragement in finding what
      I need/seek in this group. I have to say I agree with both sides of what
      you say (it's the Libra in me I guess...lol). Technically we are One and
      can't be "bettered" in Truth, though we as humans are both Spiritual and
      Physical therefore live in Illusion/Duality. The Spiritual side of us
      *knows* the truth about us being One and Whole while the Physical/Human side
      is constantly questioning the illusions and needs to find those answers. I
      think meditation is key to finding those answers within ourselves from our
      Spiritual side. It is interesting to me that people continually say "I
      don't know" when in Truth, if they just ask the question of themselves and
      take the time to wait for the answer, it will be right there. Even more
      interestingly, I find myself saying the same phrase knowing full well, I
      should be saying something to the effect of, "let me get back to you on
      that, I don't have that answer right now." Part of why I have started using
      that phrase again is that I have fallen out of the habit of meditating.
      With being a mom to a 5 month old and a 10 year old it is easy to get caught
      up in their lives and ignore my own. My goal in the next month is to make
      sure to take some time for meditation as well as other activities for
      myself, in search for that balance of self and family. Of course any
      suggestions on how to accomplish this goal (from anyone in the group) is
      welcomed! Please feel free to add me to your yahoo messenger...my screen
      name is personal_balance

      Namaste'
      Christy Putnam

      "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
      Live the life you have always imagined."
      - Henry David Thoreau

      Yo Christy,
      Welcome! I hope that the experiences you have here
      from reading and posting communications that are
      intended to evolve consciousness will be enjoyable
      as well as beneficial to your stated aims of bettering
      yourself and the world around you. I applaud these aims.
      It has been said sarcastically and with a snear by some
      Non-dualists that to aim to have a better Self is somewhat
      of a "wrong" and a "lower" ambition. But I feel that this
      is just an example of spiritual snobbery and is stated
      to show off that the person stating it has "got IT", and
      realizes that the Self is One and can't be bettered, or
      some similar Advaita-speak cliche. The other biggest snobby
      similar statement is that there in nothing you can "do" to
      attain enlightenment/realization/etc and therefore meditation,
      or other "seeker" activities, like reading spiritual books
      or going to see a guru for guidance are a waste of time.
      At times you will probably see these type statements here.
      I find conclusions to be worthwhile only as things to meditate
      about, and have found in experiential fact that the very best
      thing you can "do" for you life is to meditate, and not just
      to talk about whether it is valuable or if it is a waste
      of time, or other similar adjectives and adverbs. All words
      are just pointers, but those that point to Self inquiry are
      the most valuable ones of all. I am confident that there will
      be plenty of opportunity to find those type here. Thanks for
      adding your obviously good intentioned energy here.
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2005
        Hi Christy -

        Here's an easy
        meditation to help
        you resume practice:

        Simply take a moment
        as it occurs to you
        to shift into "Quiet
        Awareness". That is,
        stop what you are
        doing and just "be",
        just be aware of
        where you are, your
        physical surroundings,
        the sounds, smells,
        and sights at only
        that moment. Offer
        no narrative, no
        internal chatter,
        no judgment, no
        reaction. Simple
        as that. Even a few
        seconds of this
        Quiet Awareness
        will have a noticable
        effect. If you pay
        attention to your
        body's reaction,
        you will notice a
        subtle relaxation.
        The brain receives
        this as peaceful
        and comforting.

        You can do this
        while engaged in
        any activity. But
        to prolong this
        Quiet Awareness,
        you can add a
        conscious awareness
        of your breathing -
        simply noticing
        when you are inhaling
        and when you are
        exhaling.

        With a little practice
        you will immediately
        feel the peacefulness
        of this simple process
        as soon as you begin.

        After some time with
        this, you may want
        to add "listening" to
        your heart. Quiet
        Awareness to Breath
        Awareness to Heart
        Awareness. In time,
        your heart will offer
        a "wisdom whisper".
        Not words, but a
        sweet wave of peace
        and contentment, that
        comes out of the
        silence. Keep in mind
        that the heart is the
        seat of wisdom, the
        originator of love,
        kindness and compassion.

        As these feelings
        arise, you can know
        that you have entered
        the Mystic Heart.

        For fun, this Mystic
        Heart Meditation,
        the Quiet Awareness
        to Breath Awareness
        to Heart Awareness
        is called:

        Q'Baha (qubaha)

        Once you start
        saying this "word"
        it resonates in the
        heart and you find
        yourself repeating
        it for fun - and
        enjoying the sound
        association with
        the meditative
        experience.

        Jeff

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Christy Putnam"
        <personal_balance@c...> wrote:
> [...]
        > similar statement is that there in nothing you can "do" to
        > attain enlightenment/realization/etc and therefore meditation,
        > or other "seeker" activities, like reading spiritual books
        > or going to see a guru for guidance are a waste of time.
        > At times you will probably see these type statements here.
        > I find conclusions to be worthwhile only as things to meditate
        > about, and have found in experiential fact that the very best
        > thing you can "do" for you life is to meditate, and not just
        > to talk about whether it is valuable or if it is a waste
        > of time, or other similar adjectives and adverbs. All words
        > are just pointers, but those that point to Self inquiry are
        > the most valuable ones of all. I am confident that there will
        > be plenty of opportunity to find those type here. Thanks for
        > adding your obviously good intentioned energy here.
      • bhalla sandeep