Re: [Meditation Society of America] New Member Introduction

  • subhash naik
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2005
      --- Christy <personal_balance@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone! My name is Christy and I am a new
      > member so I thought
      > I'd introduce myself…
      > I'm a 33yr old WAHM in Oklahoma and I love to spend
      > time with my
      > family, learn about new things and get to know new
      > people. I
      > personally feel that we all have many choices; we
      > just need to educate
      > ourselves in order to make the right ones for us,
      > individually.
      > I'm hoping I can find some good information here so
      > I can better
      > myself, and the world around me. I'd also like to
      > meet some like-
      > minded individuals.
      > Hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to
      > getting to know you
      > all!
      > Christy Putnam
      > What is Sahaj Marg?

      Sahaj Marg (the Natural Path) is the system of
      practical training in spirituality offered by Shri Ram
      Chandra Mission. It is in essence the well-known old
      raja yoga (yoga of the mind) remodeled and simplified
      to suit and help the man of present-day world to
      achieve inner perfection, which is a synonym for God
      Realization. According to the teaching of this system,
      God is simple and therefore, the way to reach Him must
      be simple. Mind is the key instrument in a human being
      and by proper regulation of mind through meditation
      under practical guidance and support of a spiritual
      Master, one can evolve to the Highest. There are no
      rituals and ceremonials. Do's and don'ts are also few
      and there are no rigid methods of austerity and

      The Sahaj Marg system is specially developed for the
      average householder. It teaches that normalization of
      all functions leads to saintliness. Every faculty
      in-built in man has its legitimate function and must
      be used in the performance of that function.
      Therefore, celibacy is not prescribed but a
      normalization of the generative function is essential.
      It is in the world of family that almost all of man's
      powers are perfected. Therefore, this system does not
      recognize differences of race, differences of sex, or
      indeed any other differences between individuals, and
      all are qualified to practice it, the sole
      qualification being willingness to participate in it.

      The term 'spirituality' has nothing to do with
      religion, as commonly understood. In fact, according
      to Sahaj Marg, spirituality begins where religion
      ends. While the basic education of man can be
      undertaken by religion, his further development when
      he has reached what may be termed adulthood, can only
      be offered by spirituality. Religion enforces an
      externalization of the mind in man's search for God.
      Mysticism or spirituality internalizes the search and
      directs the mind to the heart of man where the search
      should really commence. God is not something external,
      waiting with a rod in hand to punish us for our
      transgressions. He is inside us and being inside, if
      He punishes us, He has to endure that punishment
      Himself. Spirituality, therefore, focuses man's
      attention on the divine effulgence radiating in one's
      own heart, which effulgence is created by the presence
      of the Creator Himself in the heart. This immediately
      presents the Divine in an altered light and brings Him
      to a proximity with one's own person which can hardly
      come any nearer. Being within us, such a Being is not
      only always accessible, but readily reachable and all
      that spirituality requires of us to achieve the sense
      of oneness with God, is to focus the mind inwards and
      approach Him with love.

      It is generally believed that meditation requires a
      lot of preliminary sadhana (practice) and preparation.
      Sahaj Marg on the contrary says that meditation is a
      simple thing and it does not require any preparation.
      In fact meditation can alone prepare the mind. In
      meditation, mind is not controlled but regulated. The
      mind is bought to bear upon a single subject, and
      disturbing and intruding thoughts are allowed to drop
      off by non-attention. Non-attention is the greatest
      weapon to avoid thoughts, as thoughts without human
      attention have no power. The mind, therefore, is not
      being destroyed, but is gently diverted to communicate
      with the ultimate.

      Yoga, which means union, is the culmination of the
      spiritual practice and not merely the practice itself.
      The perfection of the imperfect is what is to be
      achieved before the union is possible. This is
      achieved by the cleaning process in Sahaj Marg. This
      is where the need for a spiritual Master comes in
      most. It is the spiritual Master who is able to remove
      past impressions from our mind and provide the input
      of divine energy into us which nourishes the soul.

      Once a state of spiritually elevated consciousness
      pervades the individual self, normal worldly life goes
      on while spiritual progress also follows hand-in-hand,
      thus bringing into play harmonious and balanced
      development of the human being in the twin fields of
      existence, finally culminating in our achieving the
      goal of human perfection.

      The most unique feature about Sahaj Marg is called
      transmission (pranahuti). Shri Ram Chandraji Maharaj
      of Fatehgarh, the adi-guru (first guru) of this
      Mission, is said to have re-discovered the capacity
      for the transmission of yogic or life energy from his
      own centre of existence into the centre of existence
      of another individual. This art has been passed on by
      him to his disciple, Shri Ram Chandraji Maharaj of
      Shahjahanpur, who has perfected it and in turn passed
      it on to his successor and spiritual representative,
      Shri P. Rajagopalachari, the present President of the

      As power can be transmitted, as thought can be
      transmitted, as speech can be transmitted, so also
      spirituality can be transmitted. Transmission is
      defined as the utilization of divine energy for
      transformation of a human being. When the transmission
      is made into the heart of the practicant (abhyasi),
      the practicant is filled with a force higher than
      himself and therefore, his evolution or progress
      becomes not only very much speedier, but also becomes
      in essence independent of his own capacity for
      progress. This transmission gives the practicant the
      possibility of growing without limitations. Secondly,
      it erases by Master's power, all past impressions
      (called samskaras) which we have built up in our mind
      and which conditions our behavior and existence. When
      the past impressions are eradicated, material
      existence falls into its proper place as does every
      facet of existence.

      This transmission is something which is capable of
      being felt by anybody who takes the trouble of
      practicing this system for a brief period. In fact it
      is transmission which sets Sahaj Marg apart from other
      yogas and from all other systems of human evolution.
      Transmission under the Sahaj Marg system can be
      received directly from the Master who is adept in the
      art, or from preceptors who are also endowed with this
      power of transmission by the Master.

      A preceptor is an abhyasi who has been prepared and
      permitted by the Master to introduce people to the
      Sahaj Marg system and conduct group meditation.
      Preceptors also give individual sittings which clean
      the deeper impressions and impediments of the abhyasi
      (spiritual aspirant). Just as the daily impressions
      may be cleaned by your own efforts, the deeper
      impressions can only be removed by a capable Master.
      The Master works through the preceptor to do this
      deeper cleaning. In order to begin the practice of
      Sahaj Marg meditation, it is necessary to contact a
      preceptor to receive the introductory meditation

      For more information visit www.srcm.org

      Sahaj Marg Spirituality Foundation, Inc. Copyright ©
      2004. All rights reserved.
      "Shri Ram Chandra Mission", "SRCM", "Sahaj Marg", the
      Shri Ram Chandra Mission's Emblem, "Constant
      Remembrance", "Sahaj Marg Spirituality Foundation"
      and the Sahaj Marg Spirituality Foundation's flag are
      registered in U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
      SMSF Privacy Policy

      Discover Yahoo!