Re: New Member Introduction

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2005
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Christy"
      <personal_balance@c...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone! My name is Christy and I am a new member so I thought
      > I'd introduce myself…
      >
      > I'm a 33yr old WAHM in Oklahoma and I love to spend time with my
      > family, learn about new things and get to know new people. I
      > personally feel that we all have many choices; we just need to educate
      > ourselves in order to make the right ones for us, individually.
      >
      > I'm hoping I can find some good information here so I can better
      > myself, and the world around me. I'd also like to meet some like-
      > minded individuals.
      >
      > Hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to getting to know you
      > all!
      >
      > Christy Putnam

      Yo Christy,
      Welcome! I hope that the experiences you have here
      from reading and posting communications that are
      intended to evolve consciousness will be enjoyable
      as well as beneficial to your stated aims of bettering
      yourself and the world around you. I applaud these aims.
      It has been said sarcastically and with a snear by some
      Non-dualists that to aim to have a better Self is somewhat
      of a "wrong" and a "lower" ambition. But I feel that this
      is just an example of spiritual snobbery and is stated
      to show off that the person stating it has "got IT", and
      realizes that the Self is One and can't be bettered, or
      some similar Advaita-speak cliche. The other biggest snobby
      similar statement is that there in nothing you can "do" to
      attain enlightenment/realization/etc and therefore meditation,
      or other "seeker" activities, like reading spiritual books
      or going to see a guru for guidance are a waste of time.
      At times you will probably see these type statements here.
      I find conclusions to be worthwhile only as things to meditate
      about, and have found in experiential fact that the very best
      thing you can "do" for you life is to meditate, and not just
      to talk about whether it is valuable or if it is a waste
      of time, or other similar adjectives and adverbs. All words
      are just pointers, but those that point to Self inquiry are
      the most valuable ones of all. I am confident that there will
      be plenty of opportunity to find those type here. Thanks for
      adding your obviously good intentioned energy here.
    • subhash naik
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2005
        --- Christy <personal_balance@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone! My name is Christy and I am a new
        > member so I thought
        > I'd introduce myself…
        >
        > I'm a 33yr old WAHM in Oklahoma and I love to spend
        > time with my
        > family, learn about new things and get to know new
        > people. I
        > personally feel that we all have many choices; we
        > just need to educate
        > ourselves in order to make the right ones for us,
        > individually.
        >
        > I'm hoping I can find some good information here so
        > I can better
        > myself, and the world around me. I'd also like to
        > meet some like-
        > minded individuals.
        >
        > Hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to
        > getting to know you
        > all!
        >
        > Christy Putnam
        >

        > What is Sahaj Marg?

        Sahaj Marg (the Natural Path) is the system of
        practical training in spirituality offered by Shri Ram
        Chandra Mission. It is in essence the well-known old
        raja yoga (yoga of the mind) remodeled and simplified
        to suit and help the man of present-day world to
        achieve inner perfection, which is a synonym for God
        Realization. According to the teaching of this system,
        God is simple and therefore, the way to reach Him must
        be simple. Mind is the key instrument in a human being
        and by proper regulation of mind through meditation
        under practical guidance and support of a spiritual
        Master, one can evolve to the Highest. There are no
        rituals and ceremonials. Do's and don'ts are also few
        and there are no rigid methods of austerity and
        penance.

        The Sahaj Marg system is specially developed for the
        average householder. It teaches that normalization of
        all functions leads to saintliness. Every faculty
        in-built in man has its legitimate function and must
        be used in the performance of that function.
        Therefore, celibacy is not prescribed but a
        normalization of the generative function is essential.
        It is in the world of family that almost all of man's
        powers are perfected. Therefore, this system does not
        recognize differences of race, differences of sex, or
        indeed any other differences between individuals, and
        all are qualified to practice it, the sole
        qualification being willingness to participate in it.

        Spirituality

        The term 'spirituality' has nothing to do with
        religion, as commonly understood. In fact, according
        to Sahaj Marg, spirituality begins where religion
        ends. While the basic education of man can be
        undertaken by religion, his further development when
        he has reached what may be termed adulthood, can only
        be offered by spirituality. Religion enforces an
        externalization of the mind in man's search for God.
        Mysticism or spirituality internalizes the search and
        directs the mind to the heart of man where the search
        should really commence. God is not something external,
        waiting with a rod in hand to punish us for our
        transgressions. He is inside us and being inside, if
        He punishes us, He has to endure that punishment
        Himself. Spirituality, therefore, focuses man's
        attention on the divine effulgence radiating in one's
        own heart, which effulgence is created by the presence
        of the Creator Himself in the heart. This immediately
        presents the Divine in an altered light and brings Him
        to a proximity with one's own person which can hardly
        come any nearer. Being within us, such a Being is not
        only always accessible, but readily reachable and all
        that spirituality requires of us to achieve the sense
        of oneness with God, is to focus the mind inwards and
        approach Him with love.

        It is generally believed that meditation requires a
        lot of preliminary sadhana (practice) and preparation.
        Sahaj Marg on the contrary says that meditation is a
        simple thing and it does not require any preparation.
        In fact meditation can alone prepare the mind. In
        meditation, mind is not controlled but regulated. The
        mind is bought to bear upon a single subject, and
        disturbing and intruding thoughts are allowed to drop
        off by non-attention. Non-attention is the greatest
        weapon to avoid thoughts, as thoughts without human
        attention have no power. The mind, therefore, is not
        being destroyed, but is gently diverted to communicate
        with the ultimate.

        Yoga, which means union, is the culmination of the
        spiritual practice and not merely the practice itself.
        The perfection of the imperfect is what is to be
        achieved before the union is possible. This is
        achieved by the cleaning process in Sahaj Marg. This
        is where the need for a spiritual Master comes in
        most. It is the spiritual Master who is able to remove
        past impressions from our mind and provide the input
        of divine energy into us which nourishes the soul.

        Once a state of spiritually elevated consciousness
        pervades the individual self, normal worldly life goes
        on while spiritual progress also follows hand-in-hand,
        thus bringing into play harmonious and balanced
        development of the human being in the twin fields of
        existence, finally culminating in our achieving the
        goal of human perfection.
        Transmission

        The most unique feature about Sahaj Marg is called
        transmission (pranahuti). Shri Ram Chandraji Maharaj
        of Fatehgarh, the adi-guru (first guru) of this
        Mission, is said to have re-discovered the capacity
        for the transmission of yogic or life energy from his
        own centre of existence into the centre of existence
        of another individual. This art has been passed on by
        him to his disciple, Shri Ram Chandraji Maharaj of
        Shahjahanpur, who has perfected it and in turn passed
        it on to his successor and spiritual representative,
        Shri P. Rajagopalachari, the present President of the
        Mission.

        As power can be transmitted, as thought can be
        transmitted, as speech can be transmitted, so also
        spirituality can be transmitted. Transmission is
        defined as the utilization of divine energy for
        transformation of a human being. When the transmission
        is made into the heart of the practicant (abhyasi),
        the practicant is filled with a force higher than
        himself and therefore, his evolution or progress
        becomes not only very much speedier, but also becomes
        in essence independent of his own capacity for
        progress. This transmission gives the practicant the
        possibility of growing without limitations. Secondly,
        it erases by Master's power, all past impressions
        (called samskaras) which we have built up in our mind
        and which conditions our behavior and existence. When
        the past impressions are eradicated, material
        existence falls into its proper place as does every
        facet of existence.

        This transmission is something which is capable of
        being felt by anybody who takes the trouble of
        practicing this system for a brief period. In fact it
        is transmission which sets Sahaj Marg apart from other
        yogas and from all other systems of human evolution.
        Transmission under the Sahaj Marg system can be
        received directly from the Master who is adept in the
        art, or from preceptors who are also endowed with this
        power of transmission by the Master.

        Preceptors

        A preceptor is an abhyasi who has been prepared and
        permitted by the Master to introduce people to the
        Sahaj Marg system and conduct group meditation.
        Preceptors also give individual sittings which clean
        the deeper impressions and impediments of the abhyasi
        (spiritual aspirant). Just as the daily impressions
        may be cleaned by your own efforts, the deeper
        impressions can only be removed by a capable Master.
        The Master works through the preceptor to do this
        deeper cleaning. In order to begin the practice of
        Sahaj Marg meditation, it is necessary to contact a
        preceptor to receive the introductory meditation
        sittings.

        For more information visit www.srcm.org

        Sahaj Marg Spirituality Foundation, Inc. Copyright ©
        2004. All rights reserved.
        "Shri Ram Chandra Mission", "SRCM", "Sahaj Marg", the
        Shri Ram Chandra Mission's Emblem, "Constant
        Remembrance", "Sahaj Marg Spirituality Foundation"
        and the Sahaj Marg Spirituality Foundation's flag are
        registered in U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
        SMSF Privacy Policy

        Discover Yahoo!
        http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html