New Member Introduction

  • Christy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2005
      Hello everyone! My name is Christy and I am a new member so I thought
      I'd introduce myself…

      I'm a 33yr old WAHM in Oklahoma and I love to spend time with my
      family, learn about new things and get to know new people. I
      personally feel that we all have many choices; we just need to educate
      ourselves in order to make the right ones for us, individually.

      I'm hoping I can find some good information here so I can better
      myself, and the world around me. I'd also like to meet some like-
      minded individuals.

      Hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to getting to know you
      all!

      Christy Putnam
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2005
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Christy"
        <personal_balance@c...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone! My name is Christy and I am a new member so I thought
        > I'd introduce myself…
        >
        > I'm a 33yr old WAHM in Oklahoma and I love to spend time with my
        > family, learn about new things and get to know new people. I
        > personally feel that we all have many choices; we just need to educate
        > ourselves in order to make the right ones for us, individually.
        >
        > I'm hoping I can find some good information here so I can better
        > myself, and the world around me. I'd also like to meet some like-
        > minded individuals.
        >
        > Hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to getting to know you
        > all!
        >
        > Christy Putnam

        Yo Christy,
        Welcome! I hope that the experiences you have here
        from reading and posting communications that are
        intended to evolve consciousness will be enjoyable
        as well as beneficial to your stated aims of bettering
        yourself and the world around you. I applaud these aims.
        It has been said sarcastically and with a snear by some
        Non-dualists that to aim to have a better Self is somewhat
        of a "wrong" and a "lower" ambition. But I feel that this
        is just an example of spiritual snobbery and is stated
        to show off that the person stating it has "got IT", and
        realizes that the Self is One and can't be bettered, or
        some similar Advaita-speak cliche. The other biggest snobby
        similar statement is that there in nothing you can "do" to
        attain enlightenment/realization/etc and therefore meditation,
        or other "seeker" activities, like reading spiritual books
        or going to see a guru for guidance are a waste of time.
        At times you will probably see these type statements here.
        I find conclusions to be worthwhile only as things to meditate
        about, and have found in experiential fact that the very best
        thing you can "do" for you life is to meditate, and not just
        to talk about whether it is valuable or if it is a waste
        of time, or other similar adjectives and adverbs. All words
        are just pointers, but those that point to Self inquiry are
        the most valuable ones of all. I am confident that there will
        be plenty of opportunity to find those type here. Thanks for
        adding your obviously good intentioned energy here.
      • subhash naik
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2005
          --- Christy <personal_balance@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone! My name is Christy and I am a new
          > member so I thought
          > I'd introduce myself…
          >
          > I'm a 33yr old WAHM in Oklahoma and I love to spend
          > time with my
          > family, learn about new things and get to know new
          > people. I
          > personally feel that we all have many choices; we
          > just need to educate
          > ourselves in order to make the right ones for us,
          > individually.
          >
          > I'm hoping I can find some good information here so
          > I can better
          > myself, and the world around me. I'd also like to
          > meet some like-
          > minded individuals.
          >
          > Hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to
          > getting to know you
          > all!
          >
          > Christy Putnam
          >

          > What is Sahaj Marg?

          Sahaj Marg (the Natural Path) is the system of
          practical training in spirituality offered by Shri Ram
          Chandra Mission. It is in essence the well-known old
          raja yoga (yoga of the mind) remodeled and simplified
          to suit and help the man of present-day world to
          achieve inner perfection, which is a synonym for God
          Realization. According to the teaching of this system,
          God is simple and therefore, the way to reach Him must
          be simple. Mind is the key instrument in a human being
          and by proper regulation of mind through meditation
          under practical guidance and support of a spiritual
          Master, one can evolve to the Highest. There are no
          rituals and ceremonials. Do's and don'ts are also few
          and there are no rigid methods of austerity and
          penance.

          The Sahaj Marg system is specially developed for the
          average householder. It teaches that normalization of
          all functions leads to saintliness. Every faculty
          in-built in man has its legitimate function and must
          be used in the performance of that function.
          Therefore, celibacy is not prescribed but a
          normalization of the generative function is essential.
          It is in the world of family that almost all of man's
          powers are perfected. Therefore, this system does not
          recognize differences of race, differences of sex, or
          indeed any other differences between individuals, and
          all are qualified to practice it, the sole
          qualification being willingness to participate in it.

          Spirituality

          The term 'spirituality' has nothing to do with
          religion, as commonly understood. In fact, according
          to Sahaj Marg, spirituality begins where religion
          ends. While the basic education of man can be
          undertaken by religion, his further development when
          he has reached what may be termed adulthood, can only
          be offered by spirituality. Religion enforces an
          externalization of the mind in man's search for God.
          Mysticism or spirituality internalizes the search and
          directs the mind to the heart of man where the search
          should really commence. God is not something external,
          waiting with a rod in hand to punish us for our
          transgressions. He is inside us and being inside, if
          He punishes us, He has to endure that punishment
          Himself. Spirituality, therefore, focuses man's
          attention on the divine effulgence radiating in one's
          own heart, which effulgence is created by the presence
          of the Creator Himself in the heart. This immediately
          presents the Divine in an altered light and brings Him
          to a proximity with one's own person which can hardly
          come any nearer. Being within us, such a Being is not
          only always accessible, but readily reachable and all
          that spirituality requires of us to achieve the sense
          of oneness with God, is to focus the mind inwards and
          approach Him with love.

          It is generally believed that meditation requires a
          lot of preliminary sadhana (practice) and preparation.
          Sahaj Marg on the contrary says that meditation is a
          simple thing and it does not require any preparation.
          In fact meditation can alone prepare the mind. In
          meditation, mind is not controlled but regulated. The
          mind is bought to bear upon a single subject, and
          disturbing and intruding thoughts are allowed to drop
          off by non-attention. Non-attention is the greatest
          weapon to avoid thoughts, as thoughts without human
          attention have no power. The mind, therefore, is not
          being destroyed, but is gently diverted to communicate
          with the ultimate.

          Yoga, which means union, is the culmination of the
          spiritual practice and not merely the practice itself.
          The perfection of the imperfect is what is to be
          achieved before the union is possible. This is
          achieved by the cleaning process in Sahaj Marg. This
          is where the need for a spiritual Master comes in
          most. It is the spiritual Master who is able to remove
          past impressions from our mind and provide the input
          of divine energy into us which nourishes the soul.

          Once a state of spiritually elevated consciousness
          pervades the individual self, normal worldly life goes
          on while spiritual progress also follows hand-in-hand,
          thus bringing into play harmonious and balanced
          development of the human being in the twin fields of
          existence, finally culminating in our achieving the
          goal of human perfection.
          Transmission

          The most unique feature about Sahaj Marg is called
          transmission (pranahuti). Shri Ram Chandraji Maharaj
          of Fatehgarh, the adi-guru (first guru) of this
          Mission, is said to have re-discovered the capacity
          for the transmission of yogic or life energy from his
          own centre of existence into the centre of existence
          of another individual. This art has been passed on by
          him to his disciple, Shri Ram Chandraji Maharaj of
          Shahjahanpur, who has perfected it and in turn passed
          it on to his successor and spiritual representative,
          Shri P. Rajagopalachari, the present President of the
          Mission.

          As power can be transmitted, as thought can be
          transmitted, as speech can be transmitted, so also
          spirituality can be transmitted. Transmission is
          defined as the utilization of divine energy for
          transformation of a human being. When the transmission
          is made into the heart of the practicant (abhyasi),
          the practicant is filled with a force higher than
          himself and therefore, his evolution or progress
          becomes not only very much speedier, but also becomes
          in essence independent of his own capacity for
          progress. This transmission gives the practicant the
          possibility of growing without limitations. Secondly,
          it erases by Master's power, all past impressions
          (called samskaras) which we have built up in our mind
          and which conditions our behavior and existence. When
          the past impressions are eradicated, material
          existence falls into its proper place as does every
          facet of existence.

          This transmission is something which is capable of
          being felt by anybody who takes the trouble of
          practicing this system for a brief period. In fact it
          is transmission which sets Sahaj Marg apart from other
          yogas and from all other systems of human evolution.
          Transmission under the Sahaj Marg system can be
          received directly from the Master who is adept in the
          art, or from preceptors who are also endowed with this
          power of transmission by the Master.

          Preceptors

          A preceptor is an abhyasi who has been prepared and
          permitted by the Master to introduce people to the
          Sahaj Marg system and conduct group meditation.
          Preceptors also give individual sittings which clean
          the deeper impressions and impediments of the abhyasi
          (spiritual aspirant). Just as the daily impressions
          may be cleaned by your own efforts, the deeper
          impressions can only be removed by a capable Master.
          The Master works through the preceptor to do this
          deeper cleaning. In order to begin the practice of
          Sahaj Marg meditation, it is necessary to contact a
          preceptor to receive the introductory meditation
          sittings.

          For more information visit www.srcm.org

          Sahaj Marg Spirituality Foundation, Inc. Copyright ©
          2004. All rights reserved.
          "Shri Ram Chandra Mission", "SRCM", "Sahaj Marg", the
          Shri Ram Chandra Mission's Emblem, "Constant
          Remembrance", "Sahaj Marg Spirituality Foundation"
          and the Sahaj Marg Spirituality Foundation's flag are
          registered in U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
          SMSF Privacy Policy

          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html