[Meditation Society of America] Re: Monk ebusiness

  • jodyrrr
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Rushikant Mehta
      <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
      > Nop, not kidding, very seriously, Jody, I just said, & meant
      > that to know the source of that mystical sound of Jeff (!),
      > one need not be a monk outwardly, & nor a ( even self-forced
      > celibate. But do ya ever think, bliss can be a more sublime
      > source of pleasure than lust ? And so higher that lust attracts
      > no more ?
      > Rushikant.

      One can lust for bliss just as much as they
      lust for sex. Is such a lust better?

      http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
    • Rushikant Mehta
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
        Is it not that bliss dawns only when one goes beyond the power of lust for anything , including bliss ? Hen or egg ?

        <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
> [...]

        > > famous in these forums.....;-)
        > > ...I don´t think dogs understand humor,
        > > they are waaay too serious.
        > > Playfull: Yes, but humor: No way.
        > > What about you?
        > >
        > > Tom
        >
        > You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
        > especially when my buttons gets pushed.  And
        > one of the things which pushes them is the idea
        > that celibacy is necessary for realization to
        > occur.  While I realize it's traditional to say
        > such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
        > is optional rather than mandatory.
        >
        > Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too.  If that's
        > the case I've stuck my foot in it again.  It's
        > not the first time, I can promise you that.
        >
        > --jody.

        > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
        http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

        May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.

      • suman sk
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
          I will add here that the whole idea of mediatation and liberation is only to get a state of unattached dwelling where one is free from LUST,ANGER,GREED,FEAR AND EGO.
          The FACT is a FACT even when one tries to suit his or her own need.
          Thanks
          SK

          <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
> [...]

          > > famous in these forums.....;-)
          > > ...I don´t think dogs understand humor,
          > > they are waaay too serious.
          > > Playfull: Yes, but humor: No way.
          > > What about you?
          > >
          > > Tom
          >
          > You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
          > especially when my buttons gets pushed.  And
          > one of the things which pushes them is the idea
          > that celibacy is necessary for realization to
          > occur.  While I realize it's traditional to say
          > such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
          > is optional rather than mandatory.
          >
          > Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too.  If that's
          > the case I've stuck my foot in it again.  It's
          > not the first time, I can promise you that.
          >
          > --jody.

          > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
          http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

          May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • jodyrrr
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
            <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
            > Is it not that bliss dawns only when one goes beyond the
            > power of lust for anything , including bliss ? Hen or egg ?

            No. Bliss is with us always in various forms.
            It's a spectrum of sensation. Spritual bliss and sexual
            bliss are on the same spectrum. In fact, I would argue
            that they are the same thing experienced in different
            contexts.

            So, wanting spiritual bliss is the same as wanting
            sexual bliss. Both are forms of comfort that are
            lusted after.

            People get their comfort where they find it. The idea
            that you must put off sexual pleasure to know spiritual
            pleasure is a myth. One does not cancel the other, and
            they can both be known in the same life.

            --jody.

            > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:--- In
            meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Rushikant Mehta
            > <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
            > > Nop, not kidding, very seriously, Jody, I just said, & meant
            > > that to know the source of that mystical sound of Jeff (!),
            > > one need not be a monk outwardly, & nor a ( even self-forced
            > > celibate. But do ya ever think, bliss can be a more sublime
            > > source of pleasure than lust ? And so higher that lust attracts
            > > no more ?
            > > Rushikant.
            >
            > One can lust for bliss just as much as they
            > lust for sex. Is such a lust better?
            >
            > > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Flou"
            > > <tom@f...> wrote:
            > > > Dear Jody.

            > > > We were having a bit of fun here, Jody.
            > > > No intention of hurting anybody.
            > >
            > > Of course not, Tom. I was making a reply to Rushikant's
            > > assertions:
            > >
            > > > Yep, one must be a monk, not for hearing the sound but for knowing
            > > > its source.But for the one who has attained inner monkhood,
            > > > meditated, cleansed the mind of all negative inputs, even without
            > > > entering the order of the monks, finds the doors opening without
            > > > knocking & the 'Source' eager to reveal itself ! Kudos to him !
            > > > Rushikant.
            > >
            > > I didn't read this as part of the joke, but as a
            > > contention about the necessity of celibacy.
            > >
            > > > Jeff´s joke just made me write a
            > > > humerous(?) reply.
            > >
            > > And I was not responding to either you or Jeff.
            > > However, I did feel the need to let you know that
            > > I have respect for those who make the choice to
            > > be monks, even while I have no respect for the
            > > idea that such is a spiritual necessity.
            > >
            > > > No need to drag your dog into this.
            > >
            > > I drag my dog into everything, Tom.
            > >
            > > > However clever he/she is, however
            > > > famous in these forums.....;-)
            > > > ...I don´t think dogs understand humor,
            > > > they are waaay too serious.
            > > > Playfull: Yes, but humor: No way.
            > > > What about you?
            > > >
            > > > Tom
            > >
            > > You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
            > > especially when my buttons gets pushed. And
            > > one of the things which pushes them is the idea
            > > that celibacy is necessary for realization to
            > > occur. While I realize it's traditional to say
            > > such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
            > > is optional rather than mandatory.
            > >
            > > Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too. If that's
            > > the case I've stuck my foot in it again. It's
            > > not the first time, I can promise you that.
            > >
            > > --jody.

            Service.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, suman sk
              <sumansk@y...> wrote:
              > I will add here that the whole idea of mediatation and liberation is
              only to get a state of unattached dwelling where one is free from
              LUST,ANGER,GREED,FEAR AND EGO.

              One exists as freedom itself, at all times, regardless
              of how much lust, anger, greed, etc. one is experiencing.

              It's always right there, closer than our own breath.
              We may be distracted from it by the various conditions
              of life, but once it's been recognized, no amount of lust,
              anger, greed, etc. will sway one from the fact that they
              are freedom itself.

              --jody.

              > The FACT is a FACT even when one tries to suit his or her own need.
              > Thanks
              > SK
              >
              > Rushikant Mehta <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
              > Is it not that bliss dawns only when one goes beyond the power of
              lust for anything , including bliss ? Hen or egg ?

              > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote: --- In
              meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Rushikant Mehta
              > <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
              > > Nop, not kidding, very seriously, Jody, I just said, & meant
              > > that to know the source of that mystical sound of Jeff (!),
              > > one need not be a monk outwardly, & nor a ( even self-forced
              > > celibate. But do ya ever think, bliss can be a more sublime
              > > source of pleasure than lust ? And so higher that lust attracts
              > > no more ?
              > > Rushikant.
              >
              > One can lust for bliss just as much as they
              > lust for sex. Is such a lust better?
              >
              > > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Flou"
              > > <tom@f...> wrote:
              > > > Dear Jody.

              > > > We were having a bit of fun here, Jody.
              > > > No intention of hurting anybody.
              > >
              > > Of course not, Tom. I was making a reply to Rushikant's
              > > assertions:
              > >
              > > > Yep, one must be a monk, not for hearing the sound but for knowing
              > > > its source.But for the one who has attained inner monkhood,
              > > > meditated, cleansed the mind of all negative inputs, even without
              > > > entering the order of the monks, finds the doors opening without
              > > > knocking & the 'Source' eager to reveal itself ! Kudos to him !
              > > > Rushikant.
              > >
              > > I didn't read this as part of the joke, but as a
              > > contention about the necessity of celibacy.
              > >
              > > > Jeff´s joke just made me write a
              > > > humerous(?) reply.
              > >
              > > And I was not responding to either you or Jeff.
              > > However, I did feel the need to let you know that
              > > I have respect for those who make the choice to
              > > be monks, even while I have no respect for the
              > > idea that such is a spiritual necessity.
              > >
              > > > No need to drag your dog into this.
              > >
              > > I drag my dog into everything, Tom.
              > >
              > > > However clever he/she is, however
              > > > famous in these forums.....;-)
              > > > ...I don´t think dogs understand humor,
              > > > they are waaay too serious.
              > > > Playfull: Yes, but humor: No way.
              > > > What about you?
              > > >
              > > > Tom
              > >
              > > You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
              > > especially when my buttons gets pushed. And
              > > one of the things which pushes them is the idea
              > > that celibacy is necessary for realization to
              > > occur. While I realize it's traditional to say
              > > such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
              > > is optional rather than mandatory.
              > >
              > > Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too. If that's
              > > the case I've stuck my foot in it again. It's
              > > not the first time, I can promise you that.
              > >
              > > --jody.

              Service.

              > > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
              > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
              >

              > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
              http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

            • suman sk
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
                yr quote
                "So, wanting spiritual bliss is the same as wanting
                sexual bliss.  Both are forms of comfort that are
                lusted after."
                response: the only BIG difference between them is spiritual bliss is sustainable and sexual bliss go away with age and many other factors, it is not sustainable.and then it is a cause of suffering, like for many in old age . Sex reside in their minds but not in muscles.
                I am looking for bliss which is blissful for ever every moment and freedom which is unwaivering.
                --OM
                SK

                <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
> [...]

                > > I drag my dog into everything, Tom.
                > >
                > > > However clever he/she is, however
                > > > famous in these forums.....;-)
                > > > ...I don´t think dogs understand humor,
                > > > they are waaay too serious.
                > > > Playfull: Yes, but humor: No way.
                > > > What about you?
                > > >
                > > > Tom
                > >
                > > You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
                > > especially when my buttons gets pushed.  And
                > > one of the things which pushes them is the idea
                > > that celibacy is necessary for realization to
                > > occur.  While I realize it's traditional to say
                > > such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
                > > is optional rather than mandatory.
                > >
                > > Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too.  If that's
                > > the case I've stuck my foot in it again.  It's
                > > not the first time, I can promise you that.
                > >
                > > --jody.

                > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                Service.

                > > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
                > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
                http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • jodyrrr
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
                  <sumansk@y...> wrote:
                  > yr quote
                  > "So, wanting spiritual bliss is the same as wanting
                  > sexual bliss. Both are forms of comfort that are
                  > lusted after."
                  > response: the only BIG difference between them is spiritual
                  > bliss is sustainable and sexual bliss go away with age and many
                  > other factors, it is not sustainable.and then it is a cause of
                  > suffering, like for many in old age . Sex reside in their minds
                  > but not in muscles.
                  > I am looking for bliss which is blissful for ever every moment
                  > and freedom which is unwaivering.
                  > --OM
                  > SK

                  That unwavering freedom IS us, right now and always.
                  It's never been anywhere else but right here.

                  But expecting your freedom to be a source of constant
                  bliss is occluding nonsense. We are in bodies, and
                  while we may be blessed to know ourselves as that
                  unwavering freedom, if we fall and bump our heads,
                  our bliss is likely to be interruped by some pain.

                  Your desire for sustainable bliss is identical to
                  another's desire for sex. You've just dressed it
                  up in pretty bows and so think it's "higher." It's
                  not. It's all about seeking comfort. You may believe
                  yours is somehow better, but that's just egocentricism.

                  --jody.

                  > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Rushikant Mehta
                  > <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
                  > > Is it not that bliss dawns only when one goes beyond the
                  > > power of lust for anything , including bliss ? Hen or egg ?
                  >
                  > No. Bliss is with us always in various forms.
                  > It's a spectrum of sensation. Spritual bliss and sexual
                  > bliss are on the same spectrum. In fact, I would argue
                  > that they are the same thing experienced in different
                  > contexts.
                  >
                  > So, wanting spiritual bliss is the same as wanting
                  > sexual bliss. Both are forms of comfort that are
                  > lusted after.
                  >
                  > People get their comfort where they find it. The idea
                  > that you must put off sexual pleasure to know spiritual
                  > pleasure is a myth. One does not cancel the other, and
                  > they can both be known in the same life.
                  >
                  > --jody.
                  >
                  > > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:--- In
                  > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Rushikant Mehta
                  > > <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
                  > > > Nop, not kidding, very seriously, Jody, I just said, & meant
                  > > > that to know the source of that mystical sound of Jeff (!),
                  > > > one need not be a monk outwardly, & nor a ( even self-forced
                  > > > celibate. But do ya ever think, bliss can be a more sublime
                  > > > source of pleasure than lust ? And so higher that lust attracts
                  > > > no more ?
                  > > > Rushikant.
                  > >
                  > > One can lust for bliss just as much as they
                  > > lust for sex. Is such a lust better?
                  > >
                  > > > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                  > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Flou"

                  > > > Of course not, Tom. I was making a reply to Rushikant's
                  > > > assertions:

                  > > > I didn't read this as part of the joke, but as a
                  > > > contention about the necessity of celibacy.

                  > > > And I was not responding to either you or Jeff.
                  > > > However, I did feel the need to let you know that
                  > > > I have respect for those who make the choice to
                  > > > be monks, even while I have no respect for the
                  > > > idea that such is a spiritual necessity.

                  > > > I drag my dog into everything, Tom.

                  > > > You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
                  > > > especially when my buttons gets pushed. And
                  > > > one of the things which pushes them is the idea
                  > > > that celibacy is necessary for realization to
                  > > > occur. While I realize it's traditional to say
                  > > > such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
                  > > > is optional rather than mandatory.
                  > > >
                  > > > Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too. If that's
                  > > > the case I've stuck my foot in it again. It's
                  > > > not the first time, I can promise you that.
                  > > >
                  > > > --jody.

                  > Service.
                  > > >

                  > > > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
                  > > > Send instant messages to your online friends
                  > > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                  Service.

                  > > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
                  > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Jeff Belyea
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 10, 2005
                    <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, suman sk
                    > <sumansk@y...> wrote:
                    > > yr quote
                    > > "So, wanting spiritual bliss is the same as wanting
                    > > sexual bliss. Both are forms of comfort that are
                    > > lusted after."
                    > > response: the only BIG difference between them is spiritual
                    > > bliss is sustainable and sexual bliss go away with age and many
                    > > other factors, it is not sustainable.and then it is a cause of
                    > > suffering, like for many in old age . Sex reside in their minds
                    > > but not in muscles.
                    > > I am looking for bliss which is blissful for ever every moment
                    > > and freedom which is unwaivering.
                    > > --OM
                    > > SK
                    >
                    > That unwavering freedom IS us, right now and always.
                    > It's never been anywhere else but right here.
                    >
                    > But expecting your freedom to be a source of constant
                    > bliss is occluding nonsense. We are in bodies, and
                    > while we may be blessed to know ourselves as that
                    > unwavering freedom, if we fall and bump our heads,
                    > our bliss is likely to be interruped by some pain.
                    >
                    > Your desire for sustainable bliss is identical to
                    > another's desire for sex. You've just dressed it
                    > up in pretty bows and so think it's "higher." It's
                    > not. It's all about seeking comfort. You may believe
                    > yours is somehow better, but that's just egocentricism.
                    >
                    > --jody.

                    Hi Jody -

                    While the seeking and
                    the desire for sex,
                    for spiritual awakening,
                    or a tootsie pop, may all
                    have something to do with
                    your comfort-catchall
                    thesis, the quality of
                    the comfort received is
                    inherently different
                    in each instance.

                    Sustainability is a
                    tangent off that main
                    point, and one that
                    cannot be addressed
                    a priori. The issue of
                    sustainability is not
                    in the forefront of the
                    seeker's mind. Following
                    your model and syntax,
                    comfort is the goal.

                    And while a tootsie pop
                    may be savored and
                    lasts a long time, no
                    one expects it to last
                    eternally. Wow, The
                    Eternal Tootsie Pop,
                    available now, at your
                    favorite market or ashram.

                    Back to the sustainability
                    tangent...

                    Once spiritual awakening
                    is experienced (understood
                    by direct experiential
                    "Knowing"), the matter
                    of sustainability enters.

                    I know that you are well
                    versed in the Hindu model,
                    where there are distinctions
                    of a "salvikalpa samadhi" -
                    momentary, or in-meditation
                    bliss that fades much like
                    a chemically induced high,
                    and then the sustained bliss
                    of a "nirvikalpa samadhi"
                    that becomes an undercurrent
                    of life's every moment,
                    bump on the head or not -
                    the "sahaja samadhi" or
                    natural enlightenment.
                    This is sustainable, without
                    a nanosecond's interruption
                    ever. It is unassailable,
                    unfreakoutable, Self-
                    Realized, God-Realized,
                    Spirit-Realized bliss.
                    Eternal, even (being
                    outside of the time/
                    space pixie dust).

                    And to compare any of
                    these samadhis to the
                    bliss of sex, or drugs
                    or rock'n'roll (all of
                    which I speak of from
                    direct experiential
                    knowledge and heartily
                    endorsed with 4-star
                    ratings,and still do,
                    except the drugs) is to
                    transparently enter the
                    realm of not knowing what
                    to heaven (5-star rating
                    ...a kazillion-star rating)
                    you're talking about.

                    When you deconstruct
                    down your oft-used and
                    abused "exactly like...
                    nothing more than...
                    that's only..." you're
                    over into a false posture,
                    assuming, or at least
                    presenting that you
                    are the holder of
                    absolute objective
                    truths...in a relative
                    world.

                    The things(consciousness)
                    of the absolute spiritual
                    or awakened realm cannot
                    be compared or constasted
                    to the things of the
                    material, relative world.
                    They're not in the same
                    ballpark.

                    Love, as always.

                    Nothing more than...

                    Jeff
                  • jodyrrr
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 10, 2005
                      <jeff@m...> wrote:
                      > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, suman sk
                      > > <sumansk@y...> wrote:
                      > > > yr quote
                      > > > "So, wanting spiritual bliss is the same as wanting
                      > > > sexual bliss. Both are forms of comfort that are
                      > > > lusted after."
                      > > > response: the only BIG difference between them is spiritual
                      > > > bliss is sustainable and sexual bliss go away with age and many
                      > > > other factors, it is not sustainable.and then it is a cause of
                      > > > suffering, like for many in old age . Sex reside in their minds
                      > > > but not in muscles.
                      > > > I am looking for bliss which is blissful for ever every moment
                      > > > and freedom which is unwaivering.
                      > > > --OM
                      > > > SK
                      > >
                      > > That unwavering freedom IS us, right now and always.
                      > > It's never been anywhere else but right here.
                      > >
                      > > But expecting your freedom to be a source of constant
                      > > bliss is occluding nonsense. We are in bodies, and
                      > > while we may be blessed to know ourselves as that
                      > > unwavering freedom, if we fall and bump our heads,
                      > > our bliss is likely to be interruped by some pain.
                      > >
                      > > Your desire for sustainable bliss is identical to
                      > > another's desire for sex. You've just dressed it
                      > > up in pretty bows and so think it's "higher." It's
                      > > not. It's all about seeking comfort. You may believe
                      > > yours is somehow better, but that's just egocentricism.
                      > >
                      > > --jody.
                      >
                      > Hi Jody -
                      >
                      > While the seeking and
                      > the desire for sex,
                      > for spiritual awakening,
                      > or a tootsie pop, may all
                      > have something to do with
                      > your comfort-catchall
                      > thesis, the quality of
                      > the comfort received is
                      > inherently different
                      > in each instance.

                      Definitely, and the scale of what is
                      quality comfort is different for
                      everyone.

                      > Sustainability is a
                      > tangent off that main
                      > point, and one that
                      > cannot be addressed
                      > a priori. The issue of
                      > sustainability is not
                      > in the forefront of the
                      > seeker's mind. Following
                      > your model and syntax,
                      > comfort is the goal.

                      For as long as it can be maintained.
                      Comfort is a condition of safety
                      and supply. There is a minimum
                      level of these which must be met,
                      different for everyone. But it
                      doesn't stop at that level, hence
                      we have super rich folk with
                      everything they want.

                      But that doesn't mean money ensures
                      comfort, just that it gets the basics
                      covered.

                      > And while a tootsie pop
                      > may be savored and
                      > lasts a long time, no
                      > one expects it to last
                      > eternally. Wow, The
                      > Eternal Tootsie Pop,
                      > available now, at your
                      > favorite market or ashram.
                      >
                      > Back to the sustainability
                      > tangent...
                      >
                      > Once spiritual awakening
                      > is experienced (understood
                      > by direct experiential
                      > "Knowing"), the matter
                      > of sustainability enters.
                      >
                      > I know that you are well
                      > versed in the Hindu model,
                      > where there are distinctions
                      > of a "salvikalpa samadhi" -
                      > momentary, or in-meditation
                      > bliss that fades much like
                      > a chemically induced high,
                      > and then the sustained bliss
                      > of a "nirvikalpa samadhi"
                      > that becomes an undercurrent
                      > of life's every moment,
                      > bump on the head or not -
                      > the "sahaja samadhi" or
                      > natural enlightenment.
                      > This is sustainable, without
                      > a nanosecond's interruption
                      > ever. It is unassailable,
                      > unfreakoutable, Self-
                      > Realized, God-Realized,
                      > Spirit-Realized bliss.
                      > Eternal, even (being
                      > outside of the time/
                      > space pixie dust).

                      I don't think sustainability comes into
                      play at all. When you see who you really
                      are, that's it. You know yourself as that,
                      always.

                      I don't pay attention to flavors of
                      samadhi. You know who you are, you
                      are still looking to know who you are,
                      or you don't really care who you are.

                      > And to compare any of
                      > these samadhis to the
                      > bliss of sex, or drugs
                      > or rock'n'roll (all of
                      > which I speak of from
                      > direct experiential
                      > knowledge and heartily
                      > endorsed with 4-star
                      > ratings,and still do,
                      > except the drugs) is to
                      > transparently enter the
                      > realm of not knowing what
                      > to heaven (5-star rating
                      > ...a kazillion-star rating)
                      > you're talking about.

                      To me samadhi is the understanding
                      of the Self. That IS the Self.
                      You can't compare it to anything.
                      What I was saying is that the desire
                      to do drugs and the desire for spiritual
                      bliss, AND samadhi, are the same thing.
                      Comfort seeking.

                      Samadhi is preferrable to sex, drugs,
                      whatever. But those who want samadhi,
                      want what they believe samadhi will be.
                      You can't have ANY IDEA AT ALL about
                      what samadhi is like until you've been
                      to samadhi. Until then all you can have
                      is speculation about it, and EVERY
                      speculation is incorrect, regardless of
                      what guru or scripture told you.

                      I believe that peoples' ideas about
                      samadhi has something to do with their
                      notions about ultimate comfort. It IS
                      a kind of ultimate comfort, but I guarantee
                      you it's not in the way they think it is.

                      That is not possible, to anticipate what
                      samadhi is like before you've been there
                      yourself.

                      > When you deconstruct
                      > down your oft-used and
                      > abused "exactly like...
                      > nothing more than...
                      > that's only..." you're
                      > over into a false posture,
                      > assuming, or at least
                      > presenting that you
                      > are the holder of
                      > absolute objective
                      > truths...in a relative
                      > world.

                      I know who I am, I know vedanta somewhat,
                      I comment from there.

                      > The things(consciousness)
                      > of the absolute spiritual
                      > or awakened realm cannot
                      > be compared or constasted
                      > to the things of the
                      > material, relative world.
                      > They're not in the same
                      > ballpark.

                      I have never, ever done so, Jeff.

                      You have read me wrong.

                      I'm not comparing the Self to anything.
                      I'm comparing the desire to know the
                      Self to other desires. I'm saying they
                      are the same thing, seeking comfort.

                      And I'm saying seeking comfort is always
                      ok, as long as you aren't hurting yourself
                      or others.

                      > Love, as always.
                      >
                      > Nothing more than...
                      >
                      > Jeff

                      No prob, my friend.

                      We're just a bit out of phase sometimes.

                      --jody.
                    • Jeff Belyea
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 11, 2005
                        <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                        > > > yours is somehow better, but that's just egocentricism.
                        > > >
                        > > > --jody.
                        > >
                        > > Hi Jody -
                        > >
                        > > While the seeking and
                        > > the desire for sex,
                        > > for spiritual awakening,
                        > > or a tootsie pop, may all
                        > > have something to do with
                        > > your comfort-catchall
                        > > thesis, the quality of
                        > > the comfort received is
                        > > inherently different
                        > > in each instance.
                        >
                        > Definitely, and the scale of what is
                        > quality comfort is different for
                        > everyone.
                        >
                        > > Sustainability is a
                        > > tangent off that main
                        > > point, and one that
                        > > cannot be addressed
                        > > a priori. The issue of
                        > > sustainability is not
                        > > in the forefront of the
                        > > seeker's mind. Following
                        > > your model and syntax,
                        > > comfort is the goal.
                        >
                        > For as long as it can be maintained.
                        > Comfort is a condition of safety
                        > and supply. There is a minimum
                        > level of these which must be met,
                        > different for everyone. But it
                        > doesn't stop at that level, hence
                        > we have super rich folk with
                        > everything they want.
                        >
                        > But that doesn't mean money ensures
                        > comfort, just that it gets the basics
                        > covered.
                        >
                        > > And while a tootsie pop
                        > > may be savored and
                        > > lasts a long time, no
                        > > one expects it to last
                        > > eternally. Wow, The
                        > > Eternal Tootsie Pop,
                        > > available now, at your
                        > > favorite market or ashram.
                        > >
                        > > Back to the sustainability
                        > > tangent...
                        > >
                        > > Once spiritual awakening
                        > > is experienced (understood
                        > > by direct experiential
                        > > "Knowing"), the matter
                        > > of sustainability enters.
                        > >
                        > > I know that you are well
                        > > versed in the Hindu model,
                        > > where there are distinctions
                        > > of a "salvikalpa samadhi" -
                        > > momentary, or in-meditation
                        > > bliss that fades much like
                        > > a chemically induced high,
                        > > and then the sustained bliss
                        > > of a "nirvikalpa samadhi"
                        > > that becomes an undercurrent
                        > > of life's every moment,
                        > > bump on the head or not -
                        > > the "sahaja samadhi" or
                        > > natural enlightenment.
                        > > This is sustainable, without
                        > > a nanosecond's interruption
                        > > ever. It is unassailable,
                        > > unfreakoutable, Self-
                        > > Realized, God-Realized,
                        > > Spirit-Realized bliss.
                        > > Eternal, even (being
                        > > outside of the time/
                        > > space pixie dust).
                        >
                        > I don't think sustainability comes into
                        > play at all. When you see who you really
                        > are, that's it. You know yourself as that,

                        My reference was in response
                        to your earlier comment about
                        a bump on the head interrupting
                        the bliss. A minor point on the
                        way to my main issue with some
                        of your responses. I am simply
                        making an appeal that you
                        refrain from disdain.

                        > I don't pay attention to flavors of
                        > samadhi. You know who you are, you
                        > are still looking to know who you are,
                        > or you don't really care who you are.

                        Nice, succinct distinctions.

                        > > And to compare any of
                        > > these samadhis to the
                        > > bliss of sex, or drugs
                        > > or rock'n'roll (all of
                        > > which I speak of from
                        > > direct experiential
                        > > knowledge and heartily
                        > > endorsed with 4-star
                        > > ratings,and still do,
                        > > except the drugs) is to
                        > > transparently enter the
                        > > realm of not knowing what
                        > > to heaven (5-star rating
                        > > ...a kazillion-star rating)
                        > > you're talking about.
                        >
                        > To me samadhi is the understanding
                        > of the Self. That IS the Self.
                        > You can't compare it to anything.
                        > What I was saying is that the desire
                        > to do drugs and the desire for spiritual
                        > bliss, AND samadhi, are the same thing.
                        > Comfort seeking.
                        >
                        > Samadhi is preferrable to sex, drugs,
                        > whatever. But those who want samadhi,
                        > want what they believe samadhi will be.
                        > You can't have ANY IDEA AT ALL about
                        > what samadhi is like until you've been
                        > to samadhi. Until then all you can have
                        > is speculation about it, and EVERY
                        > speculation is incorrect, regardless of
                        > what guru or scripture told you.

                        I agree. Never a dispute here.

                        > I believe that peoples' ideas about
                        > samadhi has something to do with their
                        > notions about ultimate comfort. It IS
                        > a kind of ultimate comfort, but I guarantee
                        > you it's not in the way they think it is.
                        >
                        > That is not possible, to anticipate what
                        > samadhi is like before you've been there
                        > yourself.

                        Agreed.

                        > > When you deconstruct
                        > > down your oft-used and
                        > > abused "exactly like...
                        > > nothing more than...
                        > > that's only..." you're
                        > > over into a false posture,
                        > > assuming, or at least
                        > > presenting that you
                        > > are the holder of
                        > > absolute objective
                        > > truths...in a relative
                        > > world.
                        >
                        > I know who I am, I know vedanta somewhat,
                        > I comment from there.

                        Understood. My appeal is
                        that you leave room for
                        the sweet, bhakti types
                        without putting your dog's
                        ass in their face.

                        > > The things(consciousness)
                        > > of the absolute spiritual
                        > > or awakened realm cannot
                        > > be compared or constasted
                        > > to the things of the
                        > > material, relative world.
                        > > They're not in the same
                        > > ballpark.
                        >
                        > I have never, ever done so, Jeff.
                        >
                        > You have read me wrong.

                        Sorry to have done you wrong, song.
                        I did understand that you were
                        comparing the desire. I just
                        added a little clang to get
                        your attention.

                        > I'm not comparing the Self to anything.
                        > I'm comparing the desire to know the
                        > Self to other desires. I'm saying they
                        > are the same thing, seeking comfort.
                        >
                        > And I'm saying seeking comfort is always
                        > ok, as long as you aren't hurting yourself
                        > or others.
                        >
                        > > Love, as always.
                        > >
                        > > Nothing more than...
                        > >
                        > > Jeff
                        >
                        > No prob, my friend.
                        >
                        > We're just a bit out of phase sometimes.

                        Aren't we all.

                        > --jody.

                        Best,

                        Jeff