RELIGION (from the book REALITY AT DAWN by RAMCHANDRA)

  • subhash naik
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2005
      To my view those who stick to this sort of worship throughout their life,are
      wading deep through the mire ungodliness.It is extremely dificult to
      extricate them out of it. In course of time after constant practice they become
      so firmly rooted to it that they cannot even think of getting away from it at any
      stage.They remain at a standstill.They do not want to get rid of the ideas they
      have already imbibed. Further they apply thier power or thought and make
      them stronger and more solid.Everything casts a reflection in a form similar to
      its own.If the thing is subtle its reflection will also be subtle in character and if
      it is gross the reflection will likewise be gross.If we concentrate on a solid
      thing we are sure to become ourselves inwardly solid.Great havoc has been
      wrought by teachers,who have presented to the ignorant masses everything
      they had learnt from the holy books in hard and solid form.It destroys the
      reflexive power of mind.If one develops such a horrible state he is gone for
      ever.He loses his approach to a broader vision and the capacity for further
      progress becomes extinct.Such person may be compared to frogs in the
      well,with a little field of activity which they consider all and enough.They
      remain whirling round in a closed sphere,hemmed in on all sides.They are
      hammering on the same thing all their life.Stories and illustrationjs of gods are
      all and enough for them.When the practice continues for long the cells of the
      brain are affected and they become saturated with the thoughts which grow
      stronger day by day.Finally the whole nervous system is affected.The external
      opacity gradually creeps inwards and completes the work.They are now
      completely impervious,both within and without,to the passage for the Divine
      Light.Their approach to innerself is completely barred.I shall prefer to call
      them living stones.The hardened crust which they thus developed keeps them
      aloof from slighest association with anything higher or finer.They are almost
      spell-bound by its effects which they consider to be a spiritual stage although
      in fact they are far away from it. My personal experience in the spiritual field
      has revealed to me that it is a pretty hard and tedious task to shatter the hard
      crust,created by such forms of practice,from the hearts of those coming to me
      for spiritual pursuit.If one wants to free himself from these bondages of soul
      he must necessarily clear off the layer of grossness and solidity settled over
      his mind as a result of these stultifying practices.(CONT.)
    • subhash naik
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2005
        Another form of worship commonly thought to be more advanced is to
        sing or
        recite in chorus,lines in praise of the god or goddess they
        worship.People
        assemble together in parties and at late hours in night,sing in
        chorus at the
        top of their voice disturbing the calm atmosphere of the night.They
        think that
        they are thereby discharging a pious duty of injecting,as they
        say,into the ears
        of as they can,the sacred name of God.Not only this,they sometumes
        even
        make use of microphone to broadcast the sound. They are totally
        unmindful of
        the discomfort or inconvenience it might cause to persons who may
        possibly
        be in need of quiet repose after their day's tiring labour or
        illness. It may at the
        same time be offering serious disturbance to those who practise
        meditation in
        the calm hours of the night.Moreover,the practice as generally
        followed
        today,is of no great utility in our spiritual progress and
        consequently no
        substantial gain is derived therefrom. The chantings of the
        Sanskirtanists may
        be compared more appropriately to the groans of a sick man which only
        offer
        him a temporary consolation but do not actually relieve him of the
        pain. So
        these chantings are of no avail to them except that they are charmed
        by the
        effect of the sweet melody which helps to draw their thoughts for the
        time
        being to the ideal in view. Now what ever we think or
        contemplate,produces
        vibrations within.When these vibrations multiply,they create power
        which
        gushes out with a sound.The vibrations carry with them the effect of
        thoughts
        and feelings of individuals.So the pious effect of the pure minds in
        the
        company is likely to be spoiled by the evil effect of impious
        minds.The
        undesirable element must,therefore,be kept away if full advantage is
        to be
        derived from these performances.Such was the practice followed by
        Chaitanya Mahaprabhu who held Sankirtans (congregational chants) with
        the
        party consisting only of those thoroughly known to him for goodness
        and
        piety.The performance was, therefore,conducted behind closed doors
        and no
        outsider was allowed in.Sankirtan (congregational chant) in fact,does
        not offer
        means of preliminary advancement but is rather helpful only to some
        extent
        after sufficient advancement. (CONT.)
      • subhash naik
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2005
          It is most effective only when conducted in a congenial atmosphere
          overflowing with pious thoughts. It may also serve as a recreative
          change
          after serious mental practices.Moreover unfortunately today the ideal
          too kept
          in view during these practices is not the highest. In most cases they
          remain all
          along in close touch with the idea of gods in the physical form
          keeping in view
          their gross body and activities. The effect of this gross conception
          is nothing
          but internal grossness and opacity which they inhale all along during
          the
          practice.A gross conception will necessary keep you within bounds and
          limitations and final approach or absolute freedom can never be
          possible.This
          is the reason why in spite of years of practice they find themselves
          at the
          lowest level of attainment.They are,so to say,searching everything in
          stagnant pool where even oxygen,necessary for the upkeep of life,is
          wanting.They have made such a pool their permanent abode.Proper light
          is
          needed to make pearls.What we must strive for in order to secure
          absolute
          freedom from bondage is to become the lighest and the finest,closely
          corresponding with the godly attributes and securing complete
          similarity with
          Him.The nectar of real life is for him and him alone who brings
          himself up to
          the standard required for the purpose.