Tony's Posts

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2002
      Tony wrote in post #1406:
      I had switched off the running commentary. I felt like I was floating
      in zero gravity. I also noticed a pleasant feeling of release in my
      stomach area as if a normal tightness was suddenly released. I then
      decided (without the usual commentary) to release the attachment to my
      body. Creative ideas popped up (work related). This gave me the
      realization that these ideas were already in my mind but it took the
      release of attachment to my thoughts to release or see the ideas.

      Bob writes:
      This is a great description of the shift from the Alpha state (8-13
      MHz on an EEG), which is accompanied by a progressive endorphin
      release, and the entering of the Theta state (4-7 MHz) that is
      characterized by creativity. This state occurs naturally when we are
      just falling asleep and when we are just leaving deep sleep (Delta
      state – 0 to 4 MHz). That's when we often get "the
      solution" to a problem that we couldn't get when awake and
      the mind was busy chattering (Beta – 14 – 25 MHz). The
      problem for beginners is that as they go deeper into the meditative
      Alpha state, they become so comfortable that they go right fro Alpha
      to Delta and fall asleep. The solution to this problem is simple ---
      "practice makes perfect"!

      Tony wrote in post # 1408:
      Stopped thought for a brief period just to relax and enjoy the
      stillness in the meditation. This did not last long as more thoughts
      came in through the back door. These thoughts convinced me that since
      I was in complete control, it did not matter what I thought about
      since I could always stop the thoughts at any time. Famous last
      thoughts!

      Bob writes:
      Great line! ("Famous last thoughts!") Of course, we are never
      in control of anything, and this can be demonstrated very easily ---
      can you guarantee that you will be able to get up and leave the room
      you are now in without falling on your face? As you know, no. The
      reality is "Thy will be done". That's why it is often
      suggested to actually give yourself a pre-meditative direction/prayer
      that contains something similar to:
      "Mind, you chatter all day, but now in this meditative time, be
      quiet! While I am meditating; no comparisons, no judgments, no
      chattering!!" Similarly, command/pray for your emotions and your
      body to not disturb you. (IE: "Emotions, no soaring to the highest
      heavens, no sobbing from despair. Just maintain a calm serenity"
      "Body, no itching, twitching, tension, or anything else that is
      distracting. You carry me around all day, but in this time, just
      maintain a relaxed non-intrusive position").

      In any event, once again you are posting some of the most eloquently
      stated, and relevant to many, meditative experiences/knowledge
      anywhere on the web. So many sites and groups just sing one song, like
      "Just understand!", or "Just ask `Who am I'", or
      "Well after all, your being a separate from the universe person is
      just an illusion", etc. And for the huge majority of meditators,
      this is not relative to their experience or understanding. Virtually
      everything you post is.
      Thank you!
    • tosime
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 26, 2002
        Hi Bob,

        Thank you so much for your comments. They bring a lot of clarity for me.

        I also want to thank everyone who reads my posts. My posting has brought an
        odd stability to my meditation. When I think that others will read my posts,
        it helps to guide me from going off in self indulgent tangents. It is a
        little like what could happen to someone marooned on a desert island. They
        could easily create a fantasy-reality which they could indulge in.

        One of the interesting things about meditation is the vast scope it presents
        because your mind has so much freedom compared to day to day living. It
        takes some maturity to steer in seemingly dull directions. "A little help
        from your friends" makes up for a large need for maturity.

        ...Tony