Re: Monk ebusiness

  • Tom Flou
    Message 1 of 18 , May 31, 2005

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 2, 2005

        > > with tears of joy as he finally
        > > beheld the wondrous source of
        > > the beautiful mysterious sound
        > > he had heard so many years before...
        > >

        > > But, I can't tell you what it was...
        > > unless you're a monk.
      • rushi_kant
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 3, 2005
          Yep, one must be a monk, not for hearing the sound but for knowing
          its source.But for the one who has attained inner monkhood,
          meditated, cleansed the mind of all negative inputs, even without
          entering the order of the monks, finds the doors opening without
          knocking & the 'Source' eager to reveal itself ! Kudos to him !
          Rushikant.

        • jodyrrr
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 5, 2005
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "rushi_kant"
            <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
            > Yep, one must be a monk, not for hearing the sound but for knowing
            > its source.But for the one who has attained inner monkhood,
            > meditated, cleansed the mind of all negative inputs, even without
            > entering the order of the monks, finds the doors opening without
            > knocking & the 'Source' eager to reveal itself ! Kudos to him !
            > Rushikant.

            Sorry guys. Not to take anything away from
            Tom or any other monks, but being a monk has
            as much to do with self-realization as my
            dog's ass.

            While calming the mind is very helpful to the
            spiritual aspirant, it can be done in a number
            of ways that don't include celibacy.

            There have been many individuals who have come
            to self-realization without first being monks.
            Furthermore, one man's negative inputs are another's
            royal road to wisdom.

            So, while it may be entirely appropriate for some
            to become monks, for others it would be poison and
            completely useless to do so. There is no right way,
            or even better way for everyone.

            Do as thou wilt as long as nobody is getting hurt.

            --jody.

            [no new below]

            > <jeff@m...> wrote:
            > > A man's car broke down
            > > as he was driving past
            > > a beautiful old monastery.
            > > He walked up the drive and
            > > knocked on the front door.
            > > A monk answered, listened
            > > to the man's story and
            > > graciously invited him
            > > to spend the night.
            > >
            > > The monks fed the man and
            > > led him to a tiny chamber
            > > in which to sleep. The man
            > > thanked the monks and slept
            > > serenely until he was awakened
            > > by a strange and beautiful sound.
            > >
            > > The next morning,as the monks
            > > were repairing his car, he asked
            > > about the sound that had woke him.
            > >
            > > "We're sorry," the monks said.
            > > "We can't tell you about the sound.
            > > You're not a monk."
            > >
            > > The man was disappointed, but eager
            > > to be gone, so he thanked the monks
            > > for their kindness and went on his
            > > way. During quiet moments afterward,
            > > the man pondered the source of the
            > > alluring sound. Several years later
            > > the man happened to be driving in
            > > the same area. He stopped at the
            > > monastery on a whim and asked
            > > admittance. He explained to the
            > > monks that he had so enjoyed his
            > > previous stay, he wondered if he
            > > might be permitted to spend another
            > > night under their peaceful roof.
            > > The monks agreed, and so the man
            > > stayed with them again.
            > >
            > > Late that night, he heard the
            > > strange beautiful sound The
            > > following morning he begged
            > > the monks to explain the sound.
            > > The monks gave him the same
            > > answer as before.
            > >
            > > "We're sorry. We can't tell
            > > you about the sound.
            > > You're not a monk."
            > >
            > > By now the man's curiosity
            > > had turned to obsession.
            > > He decided to give up everything
            > > and become a monk, for that was
            > > the only way he could learn about
            > > the sound. He informed the monks
            > > of his decision and began the
            > > long and arduous task of becoming
            > > a monk. Seventeen years later,
            > > the man was finally established
            > > as a true member of the order.
            > >
            > > When the celebration ended, he
            > > humbly went to the leader of
            > > the order and asked to be told
            > > the source of the sound.
            > >
            > > Silently, the old monk led
            > > the new monk to a huge wooden
            > > door. He opened the door with
            > > a golden key. That door swung
            > > open to reveal a second door
            > > of silver, then a third of gold
            > > and so on until they had passed
            > > through twelve doors, each more
            > > magnificent than the last.
            > > The new monk's face was awash
            > > with tears of joy as he finally
            > > beheld the wondrous source of
            > > the beautiful mysterious sound
            > > he had heard so many years before...
            > >

            > > But, I can't tell you what it was...
            > > unless you're a monk.
          • Tom Flou
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 5, 2005
              Dear Jody.
              you wrote:

              > Sorry guys. Not to take anything away from
              > Tom or any other monks, but being a monk has
              > as much to do with self-realization as my
              > dog's ass.
              > While calming the mind is very helpful to the
              > spiritual aspirant, it can be done in a number
              > of ways that don't include celibacy.
              > There have been many individuals who have come
              > to self-realization without first being monks.
              > Furthermore, one man's negative inputs are another's
              > royal road to wisdom.
              > So, while it may be entirely appropriate for some
              > to become monks, for others it would be poison and
              > completely useless to do so. There is no right way,
              > or even better way for everyone.
              > Do as thou wilt as long as nobody is getting hurt.
              >
              > --jody.

              We were having a bit of fun here, Jody.
              No intention of hurting anybody.
              Jeff´s joke just made me write a
              humerous(?) reply.
              No need to drag your dog into this.
              However clever he/she is, however
              famous in these forums.....;-)
              ...I don´t think dogs understand humor,
              they are waaay too serious.
              Playfull: Yes, but humor: No way.
              What about you?

              Tom
            • jodyrrr
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 5, 2005
                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Flou"
                <tom@f...> wrote:
                > Dear Jody.
                > you wrote:
                >
                > > Sorry guys. Not to take anything away from
                > > Tom or any other monks, but being a monk has
                > > as much to do with self-realization as my
                > > dog's ass.
                > > While calming the mind is very helpful to the
                > > spiritual aspirant, it can be done in a number
                > > of ways that don't include celibacy.
                > > There have been many individuals who have come
                > > to self-realization without first being monks.
                > > Furthermore, one man's negative inputs are another's
                > > royal road to wisdom.
                > > So, while it may be entirely appropriate for some
                > > to become monks, for others it would be poison and
                > > completely useless to do so. There is no right way,
                > > or even better way for everyone.
                > > Do as thou wilt as long as nobody is getting hurt.
                > >
                > > --jody.
                > >

                > We were having a bit of fun here, Jody.
                > No intention of hurting anybody.

                Of course not, Tom. I was making a reply to Rushikant's
                assertions:

                > Yep, one must be a monk, not for hearing the sound but for knowing
                > its source.But for the one who has attained inner monkhood,
                > meditated, cleansed the mind of all negative inputs, even without
                > entering the order of the monks, finds the doors opening without
                > knocking & the 'Source' eager to reveal itself ! Kudos to him !
                > Rushikant.

                I didn't read this as part of the joke, but as a
                contention about the necessity of celibacy.

                > Jeff´s joke just made me write a
                > humerous(?) reply.

                And I was not responding to either you or Jeff.
                However, I did feel the need to let you know that
                I have respect for those who make the choice to
                be monks, even while I have no respect for the
                idea that such is a spiritual necessity.

                > No need to drag your dog into this.

                I drag my dog into everything, Tom.

                > However clever he/she is, however
                > famous in these forums.....;-)
                > ...I don´t think dogs understand humor,
                > they are waaay too serious.
                > Playfull: Yes, but humor: No way.
                > What about you?
                >
                > Tom

                You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
                especially when my buttons gets pushed. And
                one of the things which pushes them is the idea
                that celibacy is necessary for realization to
                occur. While I realize it's traditional to say
                such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
                is optional rather than mandatory.

                Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too. If that's
                the case I've stuck my foot in it again. It's
                not the first time, I can promise you that.

                --jody.
              • Rushikant Mehta
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 5, 2005
                  Nop, not kidding, very seriously, Jody, I just said, & meant that to know the source of that mystical sound of Jeff (!), one need not be a monk outwardly, & nor a ( even self-forced )celibate. But do ya ever think, bliss can be a more sublime source of pleasure than lust ? And so higher that lust attracts no more ?
                  Rushikant.

                  <tom@f...> wrote:
                  > Dear Jody.
                  > you wrote:
                  >
                  > > Sorry guys.  Not to take anything away from
                  > > Tom or any other monks, but being a monk has
                  > > as much to do with self-realization as my
                  > > dog's ass.
                  > > While calming the mind is very helpful to the
                  > > spiritual aspirant, it can be done in a number
                  > > of ways that don't include celibacy.
                  > > There have been many individuals who have come
                  > > to self-realization without first being monks.
                  > > Furthermore, one man's negative inputs are another's
                  > > royal road to wisdom.
                  > > So, while it may be entirely appropriate for some
                  > > to become monks, for others it would be poison and
                  > > completely useless to do so.  There is no right way,
                  > > or even better way for everyone.
                  > > Do as thou wilt as long as nobody is getting hurt.
                  > >
                  > > --jody.
                  > >

                  > We were having a bit of fun here, Jody.
                  > No intention of hurting anybody.

                  Of course not, Tom.  I was making a reply to Rushikant's
                  assertions:

                  > Yep, one must be a monk, not for hearing the sound but for knowing
                  > its source.But for the one who has attained inner monkhood,
                  > meditated, cleansed the mind of all negative inputs, even without
                  > entering the order of the monks, finds the doors opening without
                  > knocking & the 'Source' eager to reveal itself ! Kudos to him !
                  > Rushikant.

                  I didn't read this as part of the joke, but as a
                  contention about the necessity of celibacy.

                  > Jeff´s joke just made me write a
                  > humerous(?) reply.

                  And I was not responding to either you or Jeff.
                  However, I did feel the need to let you know that
                  I have respect for those who make the choice to
                  be monks, even while I have no respect for the
                  idea that such is a spiritual necessity.

                  > No need to drag your dog into this.

                  I drag my dog into everything, Tom.

                  > However clever he/she is, however
                  > famous in these forums.....;-)
                  > ...I don´t think dogs understand humor,
                  > they are waaay too serious.
                  > Playfull: Yes, but humor: No way.
                  > What about you?
                  >
                  > Tom

                  You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
                  especially when my buttons gets pushed.  And
                  one of the things which pushes them is the idea
                  that celibacy is necessary for realization to
                  occur.  While I realize it's traditional to say
                  such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
                  is optional rather than mandatory.

                  Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too.  If that's
                  the case I've stuck my foot in it again.  It's
                  not the first time, I can promise you that.

                  --jody.

                  May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.

                • jodyrrr
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
                    --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Rushikant Mehta
                    <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
                    > Nop, not kidding, very seriously, Jody, I just said, & meant
                    > that to know the source of that mystical sound of Jeff (!),
                    > one need not be a monk outwardly, & nor a ( even self-forced
                    > celibate. But do ya ever think, bliss can be a more sublime
                    > source of pleasure than lust ? And so higher that lust attracts
                    > no more ?
                    > Rushikant.

                    One can lust for bliss just as much as they
                    lust for sex. Is such a lust better?

                    http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
                  • Rushikant Mehta
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
                      Is it not that bliss dawns only when one goes beyond the power of lust for anything , including bliss ? Hen or egg ?

                      <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
> [...]

                      > > famous in these forums.....;-)
                      > > ...I don´t think dogs understand humor,
                      > > they are waaay too serious.
                      > > Playfull: Yes, but humor: No way.
                      > > What about you?
                      > >
                      > > Tom
                      >
                      > You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
                      > especially when my buttons gets pushed.  And
                      > one of the things which pushes them is the idea
                      > that celibacy is necessary for realization to
                      > occur.  While I realize it's traditional to say
                      > such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
                      > is optional rather than mandatory.
                      >
                      > Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too.  If that's
                      > the case I've stuck my foot in it again.  It's
                      > not the first time, I can promise you that.
                      >
                      > --jody.

                      > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
                      http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                      May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.

                    • suman sk
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
                        I will add here that the whole idea of mediatation and liberation is only to get a state of unattached dwelling where one is free from LUST,ANGER,GREED,FEAR AND EGO.
                        The FACT is a FACT even when one tries to suit his or her own need.
                        Thanks
                        SK

                        <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
> [...]

                        > > famous in these forums.....;-)
                        > > ...I don´t think dogs understand humor,
                        > > they are waaay too serious.
                        > > Playfull: Yes, but humor: No way.
                        > > What about you?
                        > >
                        > > Tom
                        >
                        > You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
                        > especially when my buttons gets pushed.  And
                        > one of the things which pushes them is the idea
                        > that celibacy is necessary for realization to
                        > occur.  While I realize it's traditional to say
                        > such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
                        > is optional rather than mandatory.
                        >
                        > Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too.  If that's
                        > the case I've stuck my foot in it again.  It's
                        > not the first time, I can promise you that.
                        >
                        > --jody.

                        > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
                        http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                        May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.

                        Do you Yahoo!?

                      • jodyrrr
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
                          <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
                          > Is it not that bliss dawns only when one goes beyond the
                          > power of lust for anything , including bliss ? Hen or egg ?

                          No. Bliss is with us always in various forms.
                          It's a spectrum of sensation. Spritual bliss and sexual
                          bliss are on the same spectrum. In fact, I would argue
                          that they are the same thing experienced in different
                          contexts.

                          So, wanting spiritual bliss is the same as wanting
                          sexual bliss. Both are forms of comfort that are
                          lusted after.

                          People get their comfort where they find it. The idea
                          that you must put off sexual pleasure to know spiritual
                          pleasure is a myth. One does not cancel the other, and
                          they can both be known in the same life.

                          --jody.

                          > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:--- In
                          meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Rushikant Mehta
                          > <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
                          > > Nop, not kidding, very seriously, Jody, I just said, & meant
                          > > that to know the source of that mystical sound of Jeff (!),
                          > > one need not be a monk outwardly, & nor a ( even self-forced
                          > > celibate. But do ya ever think, bliss can be a more sublime
                          > > source of pleasure than lust ? And so higher that lust attracts
                          > > no more ?
                          > > Rushikant.
                          >
                          > One can lust for bliss just as much as they
                          > lust for sex. Is such a lust better?
                          >
                          > > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                          > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Flou"
                          > > <tom@f...> wrote:
                          > > > Dear Jody.

                          > > > We were having a bit of fun here, Jody.
                          > > > No intention of hurting anybody.
                          > >
                          > > Of course not, Tom. I was making a reply to Rushikant's
                          > > assertions:
                          > >
                          > > > Yep, one must be a monk, not for hearing the sound but for knowing
                          > > > its source.But for the one who has attained inner monkhood,
                          > > > meditated, cleansed the mind of all negative inputs, even without
                          > > > entering the order of the monks, finds the doors opening without
                          > > > knocking & the 'Source' eager to reveal itself ! Kudos to him !
                          > > > Rushikant.
                          > >
                          > > I didn't read this as part of the joke, but as a
                          > > contention about the necessity of celibacy.
                          > >
                          > > > Jeff´s joke just made me write a
                          > > > humerous(?) reply.
                          > >
                          > > And I was not responding to either you or Jeff.
                          > > However, I did feel the need to let you know that
                          > > I have respect for those who make the choice to
                          > > be monks, even while I have no respect for the
                          > > idea that such is a spiritual necessity.
                          > >
                          > > > No need to drag your dog into this.
                          > >
                          > > I drag my dog into everything, Tom.
                          > >
                          > > > However clever he/she is, however
                          > > > famous in these forums.....;-)
                          > > > ...I don´t think dogs understand humor,
                          > > > they are waaay too serious.
                          > > > Playfull: Yes, but humor: No way.
                          > > > What about you?
                          > > >
                          > > > Tom
                          > >
                          > > You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
                          > > especially when my buttons gets pushed. And
                          > > one of the things which pushes them is the idea
                          > > that celibacy is necessary for realization to
                          > > occur. While I realize it's traditional to say
                          > > such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
                          > > is optional rather than mandatory.
                          > >
                          > > Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too. If that's
                          > > the case I've stuck my foot in it again. It's
                          > > not the first time, I can promise you that.
                          > >
                          > > --jody.

                          Service.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
                            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, suman sk
                            <sumansk@y...> wrote:
                            > I will add here that the whole idea of mediatation and liberation is
                            only to get a state of unattached dwelling where one is free from
                            LUST,ANGER,GREED,FEAR AND EGO.

                            One exists as freedom itself, at all times, regardless
                            of how much lust, anger, greed, etc. one is experiencing.

                            It's always right there, closer than our own breath.
                            We may be distracted from it by the various conditions
                            of life, but once it's been recognized, no amount of lust,
                            anger, greed, etc. will sway one from the fact that they
                            are freedom itself.

                            --jody.

                            > The FACT is a FACT even when one tries to suit his or her own need.
                            > Thanks
                            > SK
                            >
                            > Rushikant Mehta <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
                            > Is it not that bliss dawns only when one goes beyond the power of
                            lust for anything , including bliss ? Hen or egg ?

                            > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote: --- In
                            meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Rushikant Mehta
                            > <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
                            > > Nop, not kidding, very seriously, Jody, I just said, & meant
                            > > that to know the source of that mystical sound of Jeff (!),
                            > > one need not be a monk outwardly, & nor a ( even self-forced
                            > > celibate. But do ya ever think, bliss can be a more sublime
                            > > source of pleasure than lust ? And so higher that lust attracts
                            > > no more ?
                            > > Rushikant.
                            >
                            > One can lust for bliss just as much as they
                            > lust for sex. Is such a lust better?
                            >
                            > > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Flou"
                            > > <tom@f...> wrote:
                            > > > Dear Jody.

                            > > > We were having a bit of fun here, Jody.
                            > > > No intention of hurting anybody.
                            > >
                            > > Of course not, Tom. I was making a reply to Rushikant's
                            > > assertions:
                            > >
                            > > > Yep, one must be a monk, not for hearing the sound but for knowing
                            > > > its source.But for the one who has attained inner monkhood,
                            > > > meditated, cleansed the mind of all negative inputs, even without
                            > > > entering the order of the monks, finds the doors opening without
                            > > > knocking & the 'Source' eager to reveal itself ! Kudos to him !
                            > > > Rushikant.
                            > >
                            > > I didn't read this as part of the joke, but as a
                            > > contention about the necessity of celibacy.
                            > >
                            > > > Jeff´s joke just made me write a
                            > > > humerous(?) reply.
                            > >
                            > > And I was not responding to either you or Jeff.
                            > > However, I did feel the need to let you know that
                            > > I have respect for those who make the choice to
                            > > be monks, even while I have no respect for the
                            > > idea that such is a spiritual necessity.
                            > >
                            > > > No need to drag your dog into this.
                            > >
                            > > I drag my dog into everything, Tom.
                            > >
                            > > > However clever he/she is, however
                            > > > famous in these forums.....;-)
                            > > > ...I don´t think dogs understand humor,
                            > > > they are waaay too serious.
                            > > > Playfull: Yes, but humor: No way.
                            > > > What about you?
                            > > >
                            > > > Tom
                            > >
                            > > You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
                            > > especially when my buttons gets pushed. And
                            > > one of the things which pushes them is the idea
                            > > that celibacy is necessary for realization to
                            > > occur. While I realize it's traditional to say
                            > > such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
                            > > is optional rather than mandatory.
                            > >
                            > > Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too. If that's
                            > > the case I've stuck my foot in it again. It's
                            > > not the first time, I can promise you that.
                            > >
                            > > --jody.

                            Service.

                            > > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
                            > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
                            >

                            > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
                            http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                          • suman sk
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
                              yr quote
                              "So, wanting spiritual bliss is the same as wanting
                              sexual bliss.  Both are forms of comfort that are
                              lusted after."
                              response: the only BIG difference between them is spiritual bliss is sustainable and sexual bliss go away with age and many other factors, it is not sustainable.and then it is a cause of suffering, like for many in old age . Sex reside in their minds but not in muscles.
                              I am looking for bliss which is blissful for ever every moment and freedom which is unwaivering.
                              --OM
                              SK

                              <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
> [...]

                              > > I drag my dog into everything, Tom.
                              > >
                              > > > However clever he/she is, however
                              > > > famous in these forums.....;-)
                              > > > ...I don´t think dogs understand humor,
                              > > > they are waaay too serious.
                              > > > Playfull: Yes, but humor: No way.
                              > > > What about you?
                              > > >
                              > > > Tom
                              > >
                              > > You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
                              > > especially when my buttons gets pushed.  And
                              > > one of the things which pushes them is the idea
                              > > that celibacy is necessary for realization to
                              > > occur.  While I realize it's traditional to say
                              > > such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
                              > > is optional rather than mandatory.
                              > >
                              > > Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too.  If that's
                              > > the case I've stuck my foot in it again.  It's
                              > > not the first time, I can promise you that.
                              > >
                              > > --jody.

                              > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                              Service.

                              > > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
                              > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                              > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
                              http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                              http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • jodyrrr
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
                                <sumansk@y...> wrote:
                                > yr quote
                                > "So, wanting spiritual bliss is the same as wanting
                                > sexual bliss. Both are forms of comfort that are
                                > lusted after."
                                > response: the only BIG difference between them is spiritual
                                > bliss is sustainable and sexual bliss go away with age and many
                                > other factors, it is not sustainable.and then it is a cause of
                                > suffering, like for many in old age . Sex reside in their minds
                                > but not in muscles.
                                > I am looking for bliss which is blissful for ever every moment
                                > and freedom which is unwaivering.
                                > --OM
                                > SK

                                That unwavering freedom IS us, right now and always.
                                It's never been anywhere else but right here.

                                But expecting your freedom to be a source of constant
                                bliss is occluding nonsense. We are in bodies, and
                                while we may be blessed to know ourselves as that
                                unwavering freedom, if we fall and bump our heads,
                                our bliss is likely to be interruped by some pain.

                                Your desire for sustainable bliss is identical to
                                another's desire for sex. You've just dressed it
                                up in pretty bows and so think it's "higher." It's
                                not. It's all about seeking comfort. You may believe
                                yours is somehow better, but that's just egocentricism.

                                --jody.

                                > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                                > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Rushikant Mehta
                                > <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
                                > > Is it not that bliss dawns only when one goes beyond the
                                > > power of lust for anything , including bliss ? Hen or egg ?
                                >
                                > No. Bliss is with us always in various forms.
                                > It's a spectrum of sensation. Spritual bliss and sexual
                                > bliss are on the same spectrum. In fact, I would argue
                                > that they are the same thing experienced in different
                                > contexts.
                                >
                                > So, wanting spiritual bliss is the same as wanting
                                > sexual bliss. Both are forms of comfort that are
                                > lusted after.
                                >
                                > People get their comfort where they find it. The idea
                                > that you must put off sexual pleasure to know spiritual
                                > pleasure is a myth. One does not cancel the other, and
                                > they can both be known in the same life.
                                >
                                > --jody.
                                >
                                > > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:--- In
                                > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Rushikant Mehta
                                > > <rushi_kant@y...> wrote:
                                > > > Nop, not kidding, very seriously, Jody, I just said, & meant
                                > > > that to know the source of that mystical sound of Jeff (!),
                                > > > one need not be a monk outwardly, & nor a ( even self-forced
                                > > > celibate. But do ya ever think, bliss can be a more sublime
                                > > > source of pleasure than lust ? And so higher that lust attracts
                                > > > no more ?
                                > > > Rushikant.
                                > >
                                > > One can lust for bliss just as much as they
                                > > lust for sex. Is such a lust better?
                                > >
                                > > > jodyrrr <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                                > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Flou"

                                > > > Of course not, Tom. I was making a reply to Rushikant's
                                > > > assertions:

                                > > > I didn't read this as part of the joke, but as a
                                > > > contention about the necessity of celibacy.

                                > > > And I was not responding to either you or Jeff.
                                > > > However, I did feel the need to let you know that
                                > > > I have respect for those who make the choice to
                                > > > be monks, even while I have no respect for the
                                > > > idea that such is a spiritual necessity.

                                > > > I drag my dog into everything, Tom.

                                > > > You know, sometimes I am a bit humor impaired,
                                > > > especially when my buttons gets pushed. And
                                > > > one of the things which pushes them is the idea
                                > > > that celibacy is necessary for realization to
                                > > > occur. While I realize it's traditional to say
                                > > > such things, I'm absolutely sure that celibacy
                                > > > is optional rather than mandatory.
                                > > >
                                > > > Perhaps Rushikant was kidding too. If that's
                                > > > the case I've stuck my foot in it again. It's
                                > > > not the first time, I can promise you that.
                                > > >
                                > > > --jody.

                                > Service.
                                > > >

                                > > > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
                                > > > Send instant messages to your online friends
                                > > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                                Service.

                                > > May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.
                                > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                                > http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Jeff Belyea
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 10, 2005
                                  <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                                  > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, suman sk
                                  > <sumansk@y...> wrote:
                                  > > yr quote
                                  > > "So, wanting spiritual bliss is the same as wanting
                                  > > sexual bliss. Both are forms of comfort that are
                                  > > lusted after."
                                  > > response: the only BIG difference between them is spiritual
                                  > > bliss is sustainable and sexual bliss go away with age and many
                                  > > other factors, it is not sustainable.and then it is a cause of
                                  > > suffering, like for many in old age . Sex reside in their minds
                                  > > but not in muscles.
                                  > > I am looking for bliss which is blissful for ever every moment
                                  > > and freedom which is unwaivering.
                                  > > --OM
                                  > > SK
                                  >
                                  > That unwavering freedom IS us, right now and always.
                                  > It's never been anywhere else but right here.
                                  >
                                  > But expecting your freedom to be a source of constant
                                  > bliss is occluding nonsense. We are in bodies, and
                                  > while we may be blessed to know ourselves as that
                                  > unwavering freedom, if we fall and bump our heads,
                                  > our bliss is likely to be interruped by some pain.
                                  >
                                  > Your desire for sustainable bliss is identical to
                                  > another's desire for sex. You've just dressed it
                                  > up in pretty bows and so think it's "higher." It's
                                  > not. It's all about seeking comfort. You may believe
                                  > yours is somehow better, but that's just egocentricism.
                                  >
                                  > --jody.

                                  Hi Jody -

                                  While the seeking and
                                  the desire for sex,
                                  for spiritual awakening,
                                  or a tootsie pop, may all
                                  have something to do with
                                  your comfort-catchall
                                  thesis, the quality of
                                  the comfort received is
                                  inherently different
                                  in each instance.

                                  Sustainability is a
                                  tangent off that main
                                  point, and one that
                                  cannot be addressed
                                  a priori. The issue of
                                  sustainability is not
                                  in the forefront of the
                                  seeker's mind. Following
                                  your model and syntax,
                                  comfort is the goal.

                                  And while a tootsie pop
                                  may be savored and
                                  lasts a long time, no
                                  one expects it to last
                                  eternally. Wow, The
                                  Eternal Tootsie Pop,
                                  available now, at your
                                  favorite market or ashram.

                                  Back to the sustainability
                                  tangent...

                                  Once spiritual awakening
                                  is experienced (understood
                                  by direct experiential
                                  "Knowing"), the matter
                                  of sustainability enters.

                                  I know that you are well
                                  versed in the Hindu model,
                                  where there are distinctions
                                  of a "salvikalpa samadhi" -
                                  momentary, or in-meditation
                                  bliss that fades much like
                                  a chemically induced high,
                                  and then the sustained bliss
                                  of a "nirvikalpa samadhi"
                                  that becomes an undercurrent
                                  of life's every moment,
                                  bump on the head or not -
                                  the "sahaja samadhi" or
                                  natural enlightenment.
                                  This is sustainable, without
                                  a nanosecond's interruption
                                  ever. It is unassailable,
                                  unfreakoutable, Self-
                                  Realized, God-Realized,
                                  Spirit-Realized bliss.
                                  Eternal, even (being
                                  outside of the time/
                                  space pixie dust).

                                  And to compare any of
                                  these samadhis to the
                                  bliss of sex, or drugs
                                  or rock'n'roll (all of
                                  which I speak of from
                                  direct experiential
                                  knowledge and heartily
                                  endorsed with 4-star
                                  ratings,and still do,
                                  except the drugs) is to
                                  transparently enter the
                                  realm of not knowing what
                                  to heaven (5-star rating
                                  ...a kazillion-star rating)
                                  you're talking about.

                                  When you deconstruct
                                  down your oft-used and
                                  abused "exactly like...
                                  nothing more than...
                                  that's only..." you're
                                  over into a false posture,
                                  assuming, or at least
                                  presenting that you
                                  are the holder of
                                  absolute objective
                                  truths...in a relative
                                  world.

                                  The things(consciousness)
                                  of the absolute spiritual
                                  or awakened realm cannot
                                  be compared or constasted
                                  to the things of the
                                  material, relative world.
                                  They're not in the same
                                  ballpark.

                                  Love, as always.

                                  Nothing more than...

                                  Jeff
                                • jodyrrr
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 10, 2005
                                    <jeff@m...> wrote:
                                    > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                                    > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, suman sk
                                    > > <sumansk@y...> wrote:
                                    > > > yr quote
                                    > > > "So, wanting spiritual bliss is the same as wanting
                                    > > > sexual bliss. Both are forms of comfort that are
                                    > > > lusted after."
                                    > > > response: the only BIG difference between them is spiritual
                                    > > > bliss is sustainable and sexual bliss go away with age and many
                                    > > > other factors, it is not sustainable.and then it is a cause of
                                    > > > suffering, like for many in old age . Sex reside in their minds
                                    > > > but not in muscles.
                                    > > > I am looking for bliss which is blissful for ever every moment
                                    > > > and freedom which is unwaivering.
                                    > > > --OM
                                    > > > SK
                                    > >
                                    > > That unwavering freedom IS us, right now and always.
                                    > > It's never been anywhere else but right here.
                                    > >
                                    > > But expecting your freedom to be a source of constant
                                    > > bliss is occluding nonsense. We are in bodies, and
                                    > > while we may be blessed to know ourselves as that
                                    > > unwavering freedom, if we fall and bump our heads,
                                    > > our bliss is likely to be interruped by some pain.
                                    > >
                                    > > Your desire for sustainable bliss is identical to
                                    > > another's desire for sex. You've just dressed it
                                    > > up in pretty bows and so think it's "higher." It's
                                    > > not. It's all about seeking comfort. You may believe
                                    > > yours is somehow better, but that's just egocentricism.
                                    > >
                                    > > --jody.
                                    >
                                    > Hi Jody -
                                    >
                                    > While the seeking and
                                    > the desire for sex,
                                    > for spiritual awakening,
                                    > or a tootsie pop, may all
                                    > have something to do with
                                    > your comfort-catchall
                                    > thesis, the quality of
                                    > the comfort received is
                                    > inherently different
                                    > in each instance.

                                    Definitely, and the scale of what is
                                    quality comfort is different for
                                    everyone.

                                    > Sustainability is a
                                    > tangent off that main
                                    > point, and one that
                                    > cannot be addressed
                                    > a priori. The issue of
                                    > sustainability is not
                                    > in the forefront of the
                                    > seeker's mind. Following
                                    > your model and syntax,
                                    > comfort is the goal.

                                    For as long as it can be maintained.
                                    Comfort is a condition of safety
                                    and supply. There is a minimum
                                    level of these which must be met,
                                    different for everyone. But it
                                    doesn't stop at that level, hence
                                    we have super rich folk with
                                    everything they want.

                                    But that doesn't mean money ensures
                                    comfort, just that it gets the basics
                                    covered.

                                    > And while a tootsie pop
                                    > may be savored and
                                    > lasts a long time, no
                                    > one expects it to last
                                    > eternally. Wow, The
                                    > Eternal Tootsie Pop,
                                    > available now, at your
                                    > favorite market or ashram.
                                    >
                                    > Back to the sustainability
                                    > tangent...
                                    >
                                    > Once spiritual awakening
                                    > is experienced (understood
                                    > by direct experiential
                                    > "Knowing"), the matter
                                    > of sustainability enters.
                                    >
                                    > I know that you are well
                                    > versed in the Hindu model,
                                    > where there are distinctions
                                    > of a "salvikalpa samadhi" -
                                    > momentary, or in-meditation
                                    > bliss that fades much like
                                    > a chemically induced high,
                                    > and then the sustained bliss
                                    > of a "nirvikalpa samadhi"
                                    > that becomes an undercurrent
                                    > of life's every moment,
                                    > bump on the head or not -
                                    > the "sahaja samadhi" or
                                    > natural enlightenment.
                                    > This is sustainable, without
                                    > a nanosecond's interruption
                                    > ever. It is unassailable,
                                    > unfreakoutable, Self-
                                    > Realized, God-Realized,
                                    > Spirit-Realized bliss.
                                    > Eternal, even (being
                                    > outside of the time/
                                    > space pixie dust).

                                    I don't think sustainability comes into
                                    play at all. When you see who you really
                                    are, that's it. You know yourself as that,
                                    always.

                                    I don't pay attention to flavors of
                                    samadhi. You know who you are, you
                                    are still looking to know who you are,
                                    or you don't really care who you are.

                                    > And to compare any of
                                    > these samadhis to the
                                    > bliss of sex, or drugs
                                    > or rock'n'roll (all of
                                    > which I speak of from
                                    > direct experiential
                                    > knowledge and heartily
                                    > endorsed with 4-star
                                    > ratings,and still do,
                                    > except the drugs) is to
                                    > transparently enter the
                                    > realm of not knowing what
                                    > to heaven (5-star rating
                                    > ...a kazillion-star rating)
                                    > you're talking about.

                                    To me samadhi is the understanding
                                    of the Self. That IS the Self.
                                    You can't compare it to anything.
                                    What I was saying is that the desire
                                    to do drugs and the desire for spiritual
                                    bliss, AND samadhi, are the same thing.
                                    Comfort seeking.

                                    Samadhi is preferrable to sex, drugs,
                                    whatever. But those who want samadhi,
                                    want what they believe samadhi will be.
                                    You can't have ANY IDEA AT ALL about
                                    what samadhi is like until you've been
                                    to samadhi. Until then all you can have
                                    is speculation about it, and EVERY
                                    speculation is incorrect, regardless of
                                    what guru or scripture told you.

                                    I believe that peoples' ideas about
                                    samadhi has something to do with their
                                    notions about ultimate comfort. It IS
                                    a kind of ultimate comfort, but I guarantee
                                    you it's not in the way they think it is.

                                    That is not possible, to anticipate what
                                    samadhi is like before you've been there
                                    yourself.

                                    > When you deconstruct
                                    > down your oft-used and
                                    > abused "exactly like...
                                    > nothing more than...
                                    > that's only..." you're
                                    > over into a false posture,
                                    > assuming, or at least
                                    > presenting that you
                                    > are the holder of
                                    > absolute objective
                                    > truths...in a relative
                                    > world.

                                    I know who I am, I know vedanta somewhat,
                                    I comment from there.

                                    > The things(consciousness)
                                    > of the absolute spiritual
                                    > or awakened realm cannot
                                    > be compared or constasted
                                    > to the things of the
                                    > material, relative world.
                                    > They're not in the same
                                    > ballpark.

                                    I have never, ever done so, Jeff.

                                    You have read me wrong.

                                    I'm not comparing the Self to anything.
                                    I'm comparing the desire to know the
                                    Self to other desires. I'm saying they
                                    are the same thing, seeking comfort.

                                    And I'm saying seeking comfort is always
                                    ok, as long as you aren't hurting yourself
                                    or others.

                                    > Love, as always.
                                    >
                                    > Nothing more than...
                                    >
                                    > Jeff

                                    No prob, my friend.

                                    We're just a bit out of phase sometimes.

                                    --jody.
                                  • Jeff Belyea
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 11, 2005
                                      <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                                      > > > yours is somehow better, but that's just egocentricism.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > --jody.
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi Jody -
                                      > >
                                      > > While the seeking and
                                      > > the desire for sex,
                                      > > for spiritual awakening,
                                      > > or a tootsie pop, may all
                                      > > have something to do with
                                      > > your comfort-catchall
                                      > > thesis, the quality of
                                      > > the comfort received is
                                      > > inherently different
                                      > > in each instance.
                                      >
                                      > Definitely, and the scale of what is
                                      > quality comfort is different for
                                      > everyone.
                                      >
                                      > > Sustainability is a
                                      > > tangent off that main
                                      > > point, and one that
                                      > > cannot be addressed
                                      > > a priori. The issue of
                                      > > sustainability is not
                                      > > in the forefront of the
                                      > > seeker's mind. Following
                                      > > your model and syntax,
                                      > > comfort is the goal.
                                      >
                                      > For as long as it can be maintained.
                                      > Comfort is a condition of safety
                                      > and supply. There is a minimum
                                      > level of these which must be met,
                                      > different for everyone. But it
                                      > doesn't stop at that level, hence
                                      > we have super rich folk with
                                      > everything they want.
                                      >
                                      > But that doesn't mean money ensures
                                      > comfort, just that it gets the basics
                                      > covered.
                                      >
                                      > > And while a tootsie pop
                                      > > may be savored and
                                      > > lasts a long time, no
                                      > > one expects it to last
                                      > > eternally. Wow, The
                                      > > Eternal Tootsie Pop,
                                      > > available now, at your
                                      > > favorite market or ashram.
                                      > >
                                      > > Back to the sustainability
                                      > > tangent...
                                      > >
                                      > > Once spiritual awakening
                                      > > is experienced (understood
                                      > > by direct experiential
                                      > > "Knowing"), the matter
                                      > > of sustainability enters.
                                      > >
                                      > > I know that you are well
                                      > > versed in the Hindu model,
                                      > > where there are distinctions
                                      > > of a "salvikalpa samadhi" -
                                      > > momentary, or in-meditation
                                      > > bliss that fades much like
                                      > > a chemically induced high,
                                      > > and then the sustained bliss
                                      > > of a "nirvikalpa samadhi"
                                      > > that becomes an undercurrent
                                      > > of life's every moment,
                                      > > bump on the head or not -
                                      > > the "sahaja samadhi" or
                                      > > natural enlightenment.
                                      > > This is sustainable, without
                                      > > a nanosecond's interruption
                                      > > ever. It is unassailable,
                                      > > unfreakoutable, Self-
                                      > > Realized, God-Realized,
                                      > > Spirit-Realized bliss.
                                      > > Eternal, even (being
                                      > > outside of the time/
                                      > > space pixie dust).
                                      >
                                      > I don't think sustainability comes into
                                      > play at all. When you see who you really
                                      > are, that's it. You know yourself as that,

                                      My reference was in response
                                      to your earlier comment about
                                      a bump on the head interrupting
                                      the bliss. A minor point on the
                                      way to my main issue with some
                                      of your responses. I am simply
                                      making an appeal that you
                                      refrain from disdain.

                                      > I don't pay attention to flavors of
                                      > samadhi. You know who you are, you
                                      > are still looking to know who you are,
                                      > or you don't really care who you are.

                                      Nice, succinct distinctions.

                                      > > And to compare any of
                                      > > these samadhis to the
                                      > > bliss of sex, or drugs
                                      > > or rock'n'roll (all of
                                      > > which I speak of from
                                      > > direct experiential
                                      > > knowledge and heartily
                                      > > endorsed with 4-star
                                      > > ratings,and still do,
                                      > > except the drugs) is to
                                      > > transparently enter the
                                      > > realm of not knowing what
                                      > > to heaven (5-star rating
                                      > > ...a kazillion-star rating)
                                      > > you're talking about.
                                      >
                                      > To me samadhi is the understanding
                                      > of the Self. That IS the Self.
                                      > You can't compare it to anything.
                                      > What I was saying is that the desire
                                      > to do drugs and the desire for spiritual
                                      > bliss, AND samadhi, are the same thing.
                                      > Comfort seeking.
                                      >
                                      > Samadhi is preferrable to sex, drugs,
                                      > whatever. But those who want samadhi,
                                      > want what they believe samadhi will be.
                                      > You can't have ANY IDEA AT ALL about
                                      > what samadhi is like until you've been
                                      > to samadhi. Until then all you can have
                                      > is speculation about it, and EVERY
                                      > speculation is incorrect, regardless of
                                      > what guru or scripture told you.

                                      I agree. Never a dispute here.

                                      > I believe that peoples' ideas about
                                      > samadhi has something to do with their
                                      > notions about ultimate comfort. It IS
                                      > a kind of ultimate comfort, but I guarantee
                                      > you it's not in the way they think it is.
                                      >
                                      > That is not possible, to anticipate what
                                      > samadhi is like before you've been there
                                      > yourself.

                                      Agreed.

                                      > > When you deconstruct
                                      > > down your oft-used and
                                      > > abused "exactly like...
                                      > > nothing more than...
                                      > > that's only..." you're
                                      > > over into a false posture,
                                      > > assuming, or at least
                                      > > presenting that you
                                      > > are the holder of
                                      > > absolute objective
                                      > > truths...in a relative
                                      > > world.
                                      >
                                      > I know who I am, I know vedanta somewhat,
                                      > I comment from there.

                                      Understood. My appeal is
                                      that you leave room for
                                      the sweet, bhakti types
                                      without putting your dog's
                                      ass in their face.

                                      > > The things(consciousness)
                                      > > of the absolute spiritual
                                      > > or awakened realm cannot
                                      > > be compared or constasted
                                      > > to the things of the
                                      > > material, relative world.
                                      > > They're not in the same
                                      > > ballpark.
                                      >
                                      > I have never, ever done so, Jeff.
                                      >
                                      > You have read me wrong.

                                      Sorry to have done you wrong, song.
                                      I did understand that you were
                                      comparing the desire. I just
                                      added a little clang to get
                                      your attention.

                                      > I'm not comparing the Self to anything.
                                      > I'm comparing the desire to know the
                                      > Self to other desires. I'm saying they
                                      > are the same thing, seeking comfort.
                                      >
                                      > And I'm saying seeking comfort is always
                                      > ok, as long as you aren't hurting yourself
                                      > or others.
                                      >
                                      > > Love, as always.
                                      > >
                                      > > Nothing more than...
                                      > >
                                      > > Jeff
                                      >
                                      > No prob, my friend.
                                      >
                                      > We're just a bit out of phase sometimes.

                                      Aren't we all.

                                      > --jody.

                                      Best,

                                      Jeff