Journal Entry - November 26 - tosime

  • tosime
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 26, 2002
      Journal Entry - tosime
      Date: November 26
      Time: 07:35 a.m.
      Duration: 36 minutes (open)
      Posture: Seated on chair
      Body: Eyes closed,
      - tongue tip to pallet,
      - hands on knees-index finger touching thumb.
      Room Condition: Darkened room
      - One candle
      - Incense - one stick
      - Essential Oil - (Precious flowers+water on burner)
      Pre-session: Ring Bell
      - Sip of water
      - Ear plugs
      - full body stretch (3 times).
      Previous day's influence: None.
      Mind Chatter: Low - Medium.
      Waves of bliss: None.
      Experience: Good Session.

      Result:

      It was hard to close my eyes in the beginning. I felt some muscle movement
      as my body relaxed. Saw the close link between thoughts and subtle muscle
      tension. Not sure which influenced which in that muscle tension also
      influences thought.

      Saw into the future where we all wear devices that measure whole body muscle
      tension and sends a signal to a device we wear in our ear. This device
      trains us to relax during the day and alerts us to how we respond
      subconsciously to people and events (as well as our thoughts). I was reading
      the instructions on the best place to place the device on the body since
      different people had different ideal spots.

      Lots of future thoughts - my future in different directions. Had a good
      sense that we actually create what we think of as reality.

      Good body sensitivity without the usual deep levels of relaxation - wondered
      if reaching deeper levels of physical relaxation was the best approach to
      making progress in meditation.

      Stopped thought for a brief period just to relax and enjoy the stillness in
      the meditation. This did not last long as more thoughts came in through the
      back door. These thoughts convinced me that since I was in complete control,
      it did not matter what I thought about since I could always stop the
      thoughts at any time. Famous last thoughts!

      Came out of the meditation thinking I had spent an hour only to find it just
      36 minutes.
    • tosime
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 12, 2002
        Journal Entry - tosime
        Date: December 12
        Time: 07:35 a.m.
        Duration: 57 minutes (open)
        Posture: Seated on chair
        Body: Eyes closed,
        - tongue tip to pallet,
        - hands on knees-index finger touching thumb.
        Room Condition: Darkened room
        - One candle
        - Incense - one stick
        - Essential Oil - (Dawn+water on burner)
        Pre-session: Ring Bell
        - Sip of water
        - Ear plugs
        - full body stretch (3 times).
        Previous day's influence: Guru_satsang post
        "Ramana Maharishi - Who Am I?"
        Mind Chatter: Low.
        Waves of bliss: None.
        Chant (silent): "Real freedom is freedom from thought"
        Experience: Good Session.

        Result:

        Stopped posting for no particular reason even though I kept writing my
        journal entries.

        Practice update from last journal post:
        1) Each time I strike the bell I clear my mind of whatever is uppermost in
        my thoughts at that moment. When my mind is relatively clear, I then "strike
        in" the frame of mind I want for my meditation - relaxed, still, without
        expectation.

        2) I have started chanting a phrase I make up just before I start my
        session, if I feel inclined to chant - the chant is silent.

        Chant was very effective in reducing mind chatter. Was able to observe mind
        activity very clearly. Only a few times (5 to 8)was mind activity strong
        enough to break the chant.

        Relaxed sufficiently for some form of intuitive control to take me over. I
        realized this when one of my fingers twitched to snap me out of one the mind
        excursions. Inner sounds increased when this happened.

        Occasionally I would stop the chant to explore the mindless state. I found
        it easier to maintain this state. Mind chatter would creep in gradually and
        I would resume the chant. Noticed a very distant, very faint form of mind
        chatter in the background.

        Explored the intuitive part of my mind. I found it very hard to explore
        since there was no physical sense of its presence. It is only when the
        "intuition" becomes conscious do I know it has "done" something. I feel like
        I am gradually developing my "sense" of it. It is almost like a new sense
        altogether. It is very very subtle until it reacts with my physical body or
        transfers a thought to my mind.

        All in all a good session.
      • tosime
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 13, 2002
          Journal Entry - tosime
          Date: December 13
          Time: 08:35 a.m.
          Duration: 50 minutes (open)
          Posture: Seated on chair
          Body: Eyes closed,
          - tongue tip to pallet,
          - hands on knees-index finger touching thumb.
          Room Condition: Darkened room
          - One candle
          - Incense - one stick
          - Essential Oil - (Dawn+water on burner)
          Pre-session: Ring Bell
          (Ring out distractions - Ring in peace)
          - Sip of water
          - Ear plugs
          - full body stretch (3 times).
          Previous day's influence: Reading my journal post as a receiver
          Mind Chatter: Low - Medium.
          Waves of bliss: None.
          Chant (silent): "...Reaching for the sky just to surrender"
          Experience: Good Session.

          Result:

          A Leonard Cohen song kept turning in my mind yesterday so I decided to use
          it in my meditation.

          The Stranger Song
          It's true that all the men you knew were dealers
          who said they were through with dealing
          Every time you gave them shelter
          I know that kind of man
          It's hard to hold the hand of anyone
          who is reaching for the sky just to surrender,
          who is reaching for the sky just to surrender.

          And then sweeping up the jokers that he left behind
          you find he did not leave you very much
          not even laughter
          Like any dealer he was watching for the card
          that is so high and wild
          he'll never need to deal another
          He was just some Joseph looking for a manger
          He was just some Joseph looking for a manger...

          "Reaching for the sky just to surrender"

          Just after the start I "felt" the scent of the oil burner. This was more a
          tingling sensation in my nose than the scent of the oil burner. I opened my
          eyes and looked at the oil burner. I then had the insight that understanding
          intuition needs a different sensory organ (i.e. eyes) even though the normal
          perception is through thought.

          It got a little complex, but I felt that intuition is really the part of you
          that creates the world we think we are perceiving. What we see as intuition
          is really seeing what we have created before it comes to us through our
          normal senses. I did not have a full understanding of this. However it
          helped me to see problems as internal conflicts rather than external
          situations.

          After writing this I lost the other insights from this meditation session.