The Only Clever Killing

    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2005
      The Only Clever Killing:

      Sakka - the king of the 33 divinities - once
      spoke these verses to the Blessed Buddha:

      Having slain what, does one sleep in peace ?
      Having slain what, does one never sorrow?
      What is the one thing 0ohh Gotama
      Whose killing you approve ?

      The Blessed One:
      Having slain Anger, one sleeps in calm ease;
      Having slain Anger, one does not sorrow
      The killing of Anger, 0ohh Vasava
      With its poisoned root and honeyed tip:
      This is the killing, the Noble Ones approve.
      For having slain that, one does not grieve.

      Sakka continued:
      I am not one easily upset in mind.
      Nor easily agitated by Anger's whirl.
      I never become angry for long
      Nor does Anger hang on in me.
      When angry, I do not despise.
      Nor do I praise own qualities.
      I keep myself well controlled.
      Protecting my own future good.

      Therefore: Bring Anger under control;
      Do not let your friendships decay.
      Do not blame one who is blameless;
      Do not speak splitting speech.
      Like the roaring mountain avalanche
      Their own Anger crushes evil people.

      Do not let Anger overpower you;
      Do not become angry with the angry.
      Noble Ones always remain harmless.
      Like a devastating mountain avalanche
      Their own Hate crushes bad people.

      Source: The Grouped sayings of the Buddha.
      Samyutta Nikaya I 237-40

      FAIR USE NOTICE
      This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not
      always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are
      making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding
      of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
      scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this
      constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided
      for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title
      17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed
      without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
      receiving the included information for research and educational
      purposes. For more information go to:
      http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use
      copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go
      beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner