Re: [Meditation Society of America] Spiritual Humanism - an aspect

  • Sandeep
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2005
      Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 11:26 PM
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Spiritual Humanism - an aspect

      Dear friends,

      What Spiritual Humanism proposes is that none of these qualities are not already present  as either realized or unrealized potential within human nature.  We are as much capable of Love and compassion, Intelligence, Wholeness and  Nonduality as what has been ascribed to our gods.
      Curious who is this "we" that is being alluded to?
        These are profoundly human qualities, and once liberated from their 'godliness' they could become manifest as nothing other than human potential and human living reality.
      Such a truly Humanistic view of the complete fulfillment of human life serves our deep quest for spirituality in a practical and self-evident way.  Instead of starting our investigation from the point of view of God as the Perfected One, we remain realistic and look at our lives from the point of view of our suffering, discontentment, unfreedom and confusion, and follow the Buddha's advice as suggested  in the four noble truths.
      The Buddha admits that there is suffering in the world - which means , to some or other degree we are all subject to, and have the potential for, suffering. Having realized the depth and profound subtlety of this aspect of our humanity, he then takes the cautious route and advises us first of all to look at the causes of our suffering, before we attempt to project answers to relieve us from our suffering.
      In other words, the Buddha takes the humanist view.  He rejects all metaphysics, including the separate self-sense and any notion of the Great Other as nothing other than integrally part of our human suffering and confusion, and instead proposes that we start afresh and look at what we do to ourselves which brings about our suffering.  This is also the view of Spiritual Humanism  which I explore and describe in detail in my book: Spiritualtiy Without God.
      Spiritual Humanism therefore proposes that before we project as some kind of revealed truth all sorts of Ultimate notions about the nature of human existence, we first accept our suffering as real,
      Since suffering is a suffereing only to a sufferer,..............what you are suggesting is that the "sufferer" is to be taken as real?
       and explore what it is we do that makes us suffer.  And this exploration can only take place in the context of our humanity.  As I said before, our suffering is not a Metaphysical problem.  It is a human problem, and needs to be looked at from a human perspective.  This is why self-observation and self-understanding form such integral parts of the meditative and contemplative practices I describe in my book. If unenlightened living is based on a series of errors or false perceptions, (leading to the notion of illusion or Maya) no movement towards clarity is possible until the identification with these uninspected aspects of ourselves have been fragmented and eradicated through insight, and other forms of inner work.
      How about a suggestion Moller, that there is never a movement towards clarity, irrespective of whatever work inner or outer that gets to be done?
      That the so called movement to clarity,............even the state of total clarity................. is yet another halo that the sense of the entity creates around itself.
      Spiritual Humanism therefore makes it absolutely clear that work is to be done.
      Doing gets done, but is there a doer of the doing?
      It is only to a sense of a doer,............ that doing is "work to be done".
        How we go about it is of crucial importance, because if we are not cautious, our work may soon turn out to be nothing but a strengthening of the very delusions we are attempting to gain insight into and free ourselves from.  Our task is to find ways which will free our being from the main cause of suffering ie the separate self-sense, (in all its various manifestations) without strengthening it.
      That there is someone to be freed from suffering...........is the very root of the sense of suffering.
      That there is someoen to be freed from bondage, .............arises from the premise that there is someone bonded.
      And the very attempt to free, is the perpeuation of the apriori assumption of the existential reality of the bondage.
      Round and round the self-created, self-sustained, self-perpetuated....mulberry bush.
        And this quite possible.  We need only to allow ourselves to be sensitized to this possibility and not be intimidated by those who are adamant that any work within the relative is fruitless since it can only be from the disposition of the 'I' and therefore of necessity counter productive.
      Not really counter- productive, but really as effective as trying to pick up yourself by your own boot-straps.
      You may no doubt see Samadhic colours, enlightened stars floating about,................ on  account of having busted a blood vessel or two, in the attempt.
      But sooner ot later the absurdity of it..............hits.
      And no doubt there are experts and graduate schools where techniques and methodologies of handling boot-straps are taught.
      Even successes of having hauled yourself up by your own britches....... claimed and advocated.
      Once we are free from the God-notion, we have only our humanity to fall back on.
      And the notion of humanity itself?
        And in truth there is nothing suspect about human nature.  In potential, always ready to become our living reality, it is all here.  Nothing holds us back but the delusions we have about our natural condition.  And integrally part of these delusions are not only our gods and saviours, but our uninspected attempts to deal with the problems facing us - attempts we have come to know as our religious and spiritual traditions.  To be truly spiritual is to be truly human.
      To be truly spiritual is the apperception that there being no such distinction as "spiritual" and "human"....
      ....the very concept of the state of spirituality, either now, or yet-to-be-in-some-distant-future-as-a-consequence-of-some-inner/outer-work.......
      .......is just another conceptualizing.
      Did you know the term spiritual comes from the Latin root word "spiritualis".
      Which means breathing.
      The ethereal connotations are mere add-ons.
      Just some few cents