Re: WHAT IS TRANSMISSION ?

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 21 , May 17, 2005
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
      <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
      ...all the past impressions
      > (called samskaras) which we have built up in our minds and that
      condition our
      > behaviour and existence.When the past impressions are
      eradicated,material
      > existence falls into its proper place,as does every other facet of
      our existence.

      Yes, this is a most
      beautiful experience.
      The essence of it is
      written of in many
      philosophies, religions
      and spiritual traditions.

      When the conditioned
      self" gives way to
      the "True Self" one
      is absolved of all
      guilt and anguish -
      and everything,
      EVERYTHING, falls
      into place.

      The absolved one now
      faces existence in a
      whole new light, as
      a whole new being.

      "You shall know the
      Truth, and The Truth
      shall set you free."

      And, as The Tao says,
      "If it wasn't bullshit
      to the conditioned mind,
      it wouldn't be The Way."
      Message 2 of 21 , May 17, 2005
        <jeff@m...> wrote:
        > Jody -
        >
        > Are you trying to
        > recreate GR here
        > in peaceful Bob's
        > place, with your
        > fiery vanguard?
        >
        > Have another
        > habanero.
        >
        > With all of love's
        > transmission
        > that one guru
        > can muster,
        >
        > Jeff

        Yo Papajeff,
        You're probably right on the money with labeling
        Jodyji's remarks as having the GuruRatings group
        flavor about them. And this brings to mind other times
        here where one side of an issue (who's a real
        Guru and who's not) and another had great debates that
        were pretty ugly and didn't seem to fit the beauty
        and tranquility that meditation usually is associated
        with. But now, as then, I think (and that will always
        cause trouble:-) that both Jodiji and Sri Subhash Naik
        have good intentions. One seeks to spare others from
        wasting time on a path that leads to nowhere, and the
        other to help point out a path they have found to be
        beneficial. But - "...the road to Hell is paved with
        good intentions", and I know you remember how we
        ended up with hundreds of posts here that were mostly
        "You're a jerk and a fraud" "Oh yeah - well so are
        you and so's your mother", or something similar. So,
        as in life, even a meditative one, there are always
        going to be times that are seemingly incongruous
        with the environment we would like to be in, but often
        these are the times that we can learn the most. I hope
        that this is just such a moment for this group. And
        if it starts to get out of hand, I have a feeling that
        another window will open and a gust of fresh air will
        get the stink out of the room. In any event, we always
        have the option of the "can't go wrong" strategy of
        silently witnessing the events and paying attention
        with "good" intention. And if that doesn't do it, well,
        we can always start talking about the Eagles chances
        of going back to the Superbowl if TO holds out.

        > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
        > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
        > > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
        > > > An essential and unique feature of Sahaj Marg is the direct
        help
        > and
        > > > guidance of the Master in the form of transmission of Divine
        > Energy
        > > (called
        > > > 'PRANAHUTI' IN Sanskrit) from the Master to the aspirant.
        > >
        > > Magical nonsense designed to make your guru rich.
        > >
        > > > When the Divine Energy is transmitted into the heart of the
        > practician
        > > > (abhyasi),the practician is then filled with a force higher than
        > > himself and
        > > > therefore his,evolution or progress becomes very much faster
        > and,in
        > > essence
        > > > is independent of his own capacity for progress.
        > >
        > > Mystifatically ridiculous.
        > >
        > > > Also by the Master's power,the Transmission erases all the past
        > > impressions
        > > > (called samskaras) which we have built up in our minds and that
        > > condition our
        > > > behaviour and existence.When the past impressions are
        > > eradicated,material
        > > > existence falls into its proper place,as does every other facet
        of
        > > our existence.
        > >
        > > Complete and utter bullshit.
      • jodyrrr
        Message 3 of 21 , May 17, 2005
          <jeff@m...> wrote:
          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
          > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
          > ...all the past impressions
          > > (called samskaras) which we have built up in our minds and that
          > condition our
          > > behaviour and existence.When the past impressions are
          > eradicated,material
          > > existence falls into its proper place,as does every other facet of
          > our existence.
          >

          > Yes, this is a most
          > beautiful experience.
          > The essence of it is
          > written of in many
          > philosophies, religions
          > and spiritual traditions.
          >
          > When the conditioned
          > self" gives way to
          > the "True Self" one
          > is absolved of all
          > guilt and anguish -
          > and everything,
          > EVERYTHING, falls
          > into place.
          >
          > The absolved one now
          > faces existence in a
          > whole new light, as
          > a whole new being.
          >
          > "You shall know the
          > Truth, and The Truth
          > shall set you free."
          >
          > And, as The Tao says,
          > "If it wasn't bullshit
          > to the conditioned mind,
          > it wouldn't be The Way."

          That's all well and good. But the idea that
          this happens by way of a magical transferrence
          of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.

          It happens over time by way of deconditioning
          and added clarity brought about by meditation.

          You don't get something for nothing, and there's
          no magical powers to do it for you.
        • jodyrrr
          Message 4 of 21 , May 17, 2005
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            [snip]

            > that both Jodiji and Sri Subhash Naik
            > have good intentions. One seeks to spare others from
            > wasting time on a path that leads to nowhere, and the
            > other to help point out a path they have found to be
            > beneficial.

            Actually, I believe Sahaj Marg will work just as good
            as anything. Included in that anything are the practices
            listed at meditationsociety.org. I'm not doubting that
            it works, just the idea that you have to PAY for it, and
            the idea that it's better than other, more economical
            methods.

            But the thing that really gets my panties knotted is the
            idea that its effacacy is due to a magical transmission that
            comes from a "master." This idea is clearly in the realm
            of magical thinking and is no better than a fairy tale.
            But this fairy tale is being used to promote the practice.

            That's what's BS about it. It's a marketing hook along
            the lines of those used by snake oil salesman. The so-called
            "masters" powers are no more effective than those of my
            dog. The practice may work, but it works by means of
            creating sattvas in the mind, not because some guru
            somewhere is dosing you with a "transmission."

            --jody.

            [snip]
          • jodyrrr
            Message 5 of 21 , May 17, 2005
              <jeff@m...> wrote:
              > Jody -
              >
              > Are you trying to
              > recreate GR here
              > in peaceful Bob's
              > place, with your
              > fiery vanguard?
              >
              > Have another
              > habanero.
              >
              > With all of love's
              > transmission
              > that one guru
              > can muster,
              >
              > Jeff

              Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?

              I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
              begins to refrain from his incessant
              guru pimping.

              --jody.

              Message 6 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                > > Jody -
                > >
                > > Are you trying to
                > > recreate GR here
                > > in peaceful Bob's
                > > place, with your
                > > fiery vanguard?
                > >
                > > Have another
                > > habanero.
                > >
                > > With all of love's
                > > transmission
                > > that one guru
                > > can muster,
                > >
                > > Jeff
                >
                > Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?
                >
                > I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                > begins to refrain from his incessant
                > guru pimping.
                >
                > --jody.

                Yo Jodyji,
                I won't address the validity of your labeling
                Sri Subhash's actions as "guru pimping" (even though
                I must admit that the phrase made me laugh), but
                the adverb/adjective "incessant" might be a bit
                off base. For a while there had been several
                posts a day about Sahaj Marg and when I asked to
                have that limited to one per day, so as to not
                turn this forum excessivly into a Sahaj Marg
                advertisement, Sri Subhash graciously agreed,
                and has continued complying with my request 100%.
                I now feel it right to release him from that limit
                should he care to respond to you. And of course, your
                posts are always welcome and appreciated.
              • jodyrrr
                Message 7 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                  > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                  > > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                  > > > Jody -
                  > > >
                  > > > Are you trying to
                  > > > recreate GR here
                  > > > in peaceful Bob's
                  > > > place, with your
                  > > > fiery vanguard?
                  > > >
                  > > > Have another
                  > > > habanero.
                  > > >
                  > > > With all of love's
                  > > > transmission
                  > > > that one guru
                  > > > can muster,
                  > > >
                  > > > Jeff
                  > >
                  > > Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?
                  > >
                  > > I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                  > > begins to refrain from his incessant
                  > > guru pimping.
                  > >
                  > > --jody.
                  > >
                  > Yo Jodyji,
                  > I won't address the validity of your labeling
                  > Sri Subhash's actions as "guru pimping" (even though
                  > I must admit that the phrase made me laugh), but
                  > the adverb/adjective "incessant" might be a bit
                  > off base.

                  Once every day or so with the same exact content
                  qualifies as incessant in my book.

                  > For a while there had been several
                  > posts a day about Sahaj Marg and when I asked to
                  > have that limited to one per day, so as to not
                  > turn this forum excessivly into a Sahaj Marg
                  > advertisement, Sri Subhash graciously agreed,
                  > and has continued complying with my request 100%.

                  It's still advertising at one per day, especially
                  given the static content.

                  > I now feel it right to release him from that limit
                  > should he care to respond to you. And of course, your
                  > posts are always welcome and appreciated.
                  > Peace and blessings,
                  > Bob

                  I welcome the opportunity.

                  Thanks, Bob.

                  --jody.
                • Jeff Belyea
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                    <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                    > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                    > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
                    > > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
                    > > ...all the past impressions
                    > > > (called samskaras) which we have built up in our minds and that
                    > > condition our
                    > > > behaviour and existence.When the past impressions are
                    > > eradicated,material
                    > > > existence falls into its proper place,as does every other facet
                    of
                    > > our existence.
                    > >

                    > > Yes, this is a most
                    > > beautiful experience.
                    > > The essence of it is
                    > > written of in many
                    > > philosophies, religions
                    > > and spiritual traditions.
                    > >
                    > > When the conditioned
                    > > self" gives way to
                    > > the "True Self" one
                    > > is absolved of all
                    > > guilt and anguish -
                    > > and everything,
                    > > EVERYTHING, falls
                    > > into place.
                    > >
                    > > The absolved one now
                    > > faces existence in a
                    > > whole new light, as
                    > > a whole new being.
                    > >
                    > > "You shall know the
                    > > Truth, and The Truth
                    > > shall set you free."
                    > >
                    > > And, as The Tao says,
                    > > "If it wasn't bullshit
                    > > to the conditioned mind,
                    > > it wouldn't be The Way."
                    >
                    > That's all well and good. But the idea that
                    > this happens by way of a magical transferrence
                    > of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.
                    >
                    > It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                    > and added clarity brought about by meditation.
                    >
                    > You don't get something for nothing, and there's
                    > no magical powers to do it for you.

                    We don't know enough
                    to know whether we
                    know this or not.
                  • Jeff Belyea
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                      <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                      > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                      > > Jody -
                      > >
                      > > Are you trying to
                      > > recreate GR here
                      > > in peaceful Bob's
                      > > place, with your
                      > > fiery vanguard?
                      > >
                      > > Have another
                      > > habanero.
                      > >
                      > > With all of love's
                      > > transmission
                      > > that one guru
                      > > can muster,
                      > >
                      > > Jeff
                      >
                      > Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?
                      >
                      > I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                      > begins to refrain from his incessant
                      > guru pimping.
                      >
                      > --jody.

                      Bob addressed it well.

                      Having received his
                      transmission, I will
                      simply open a window
                      when your literary
                      lurches, propelled by
                      habanero lunch, reach
                      the launchpad of
                      digestive release.

                      In an earlier incarnation,
                      weren't you the one
                      who poo-pooed the
                      theory of flight,
                      breaking the 4-minute
                      mile barrier, and the
                      very idea of transmitting
                      pictures over a cable?

                      10

                      9

                      8

                      7

                      6

                      ...open window.
                    • jodyrrr
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                        <jeff@m...> wrote:
                        > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                        > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                        > > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                        > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
                        > > > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
                        > > > ...all the past impressions
                        > > > condition our
                        > > > eradicated,material
                        > of
                        > > > our existence.
                        > > >

                        > > > Yes, this is a most
                        > > > beautiful experience.
                        > > > The essence of it is
                        > > > written of in many
                        > > > philosophies, religions
                        > > > and spiritual traditions.
                        > > >
                        > > > When the conditioned
                        > > > self" gives way to
                        > > > the "True Self" one
                        > > > is absolved of all
                        > > > guilt and anguish -
                        > > > and everything,
                        > > > EVERYTHING, falls
                        > > > into place.
                        > > >
                        > > > The absolved one now
                        > > > faces existence in a
                        > > > whole new light, as
                        > > > a whole new being.
                        > > >
                        > > > "You shall know the
                        > > > Truth, and The Truth
                        > > > shall set you free."
                        > > >
                        > > > And, as The Tao says,
                        > > > "If it wasn't bullshit
                        > > > to the conditioned mind,
                        > > > it wouldn't be The Way."
                        > >
                        > > That's all well and good. But the idea that
                        > > this happens by way of a magical transferrence
                        > > of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.
                        > >
                        > > It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                        > > and added clarity brought about by meditation.
                        > >
                        > > You don't get something for nothing, and there's
                        > > no magical powers to do it for you.
                        >
                        > We don't know enough
                        > to know whether we
                        > know this or not.

                        That's what the magic apologists like to say.

                        "How can you know that you know."

                        Because I can find a more likely explantion
                        that doesn't resort to mystified nonsense.
                        And because *anything* in the realm of magical
                        is *always* phenomenological. So, two people
                        will experience their "magic" in completely
                        different ways. This puts such phenomena
                        squarely in the category 'imaginal,' IOW,
                        made up.

                        If someone gets a cold, they're likely to
                        believe it came from a germ rather
                        than believing a curse was set upon them.

                        But as soon as a "divine" guru enters the
                        equation, all reason flies right out the window,
                        and normally rational folk are prepared to
                        believe all kinds of utter nonsense. Just
                        hang out at an Amma satsang to catch a
                        glimpse.

                        It's a form of infantilism that pollutes
                        spiritual culture like a plague of ignorance.

                        And it keeps people from seeing the truth of
                        their own being, because they are taught to
                        believe it only comes by way of the magic
                        "transmissions" of their guru. It may as
                        well be a nocturnal emmission. At least then
                        you are getting something real, if not icky
                        and sticky and gross.
                      • jodyrrr
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                          <jeff@m...> wrote:
                          > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                          > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                          > > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                          > > > Jody -
                          > > >
                          > > > Are you trying to
                          > > > recreate GR here
                          > > > in peaceful Bob's
                          > > > place, with your
                          > > > fiery vanguard?
                          > > >
                          > > > Have another
                          > > > habanero.
                          > > >
                          > > > With all of love's
                          > > > transmission
                          > > > that one guru
                          > > > can muster,
                          > > >
                          > > > Jeff
                          > >
                          > > Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?
                          > >
                          > > I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                          > > begins to refrain from his incessant
                          > > guru pimping.
                          > >
                          > > --jody.
                          > >

                          > Bob addressed it well.
                          >
                          > Having received his
                          > transmission, I will
                          > simply open a window
                          > when your literary
                          > lurches, propelled by
                          > habanero lunch, reach
                          > the launchpad of
                          > digestive release.
                          >
                          > In an earlier incarnation,
                          > weren't you the one
                          > who poo-pooed the
                          > theory of flight,
                          > breaking the 4-minute
                          > mile barrier, and the
                          > very idea of transmitting
                          > pictures over a cable?
                          >

                          > 10
                          >
                          > 9
                          >
                          > 8
                          >
                          > 7
                          >
                          > 6
                          >
                          > ...open window.

                          That's a reverse metaphor, Jeff.

                          You are talking of the progression from
                          magic to rational with these examples.

                          Observing birds in flight, I can imagine
                          men one day doing so.

                          Seeing men going faster and faster, I can
                          imagine a 4-minute mile.

                          Seeing a photograph and knowing of the
                          telegraph, I can imagine pictures over cable.

                          But not seeing anything like a "transmission"
                          from a guru, and only having my subjective
                          interpretation of my experience, and the
                          subjective interpretation of others' experience,
                          and knowing that these interpretations are almost
                          always completely different from one another;
                          I'm making a huge, irrational leap to believe
                          that such is occurring in the light of a more
                          simple explanation, that the so-called "transmitted"
                          experiences are nothing more than self-suggested
                          wish fulfillment.

                          I've been in the presence of 4 well-known gurus,
                          and I've seen people practically flipping on the
                          ground like fish over them, but there was never
                          any evidence of anything more than their ideas
                          about the gurus causing anything. If "transmission"
                          was really a legit avenue for realization, why aren't
                          ALL of Amma's devotees realized?

                          Amma's devotees will say because we're not pure
                          enough. And that is the occluding idea which Amma
                          clogs their brains with. The fact is that everyone
                          has it—as you know—they just don't all see it.
                          It has nothing to do with purity and everything to
                          do with a simple lack of recognition. That's what
                          a real guru helps you with. S/he doesn't bathe you
                          in their "divine" light. That's just sales boilerplate
                          to keep the satsang junkies coming. What a real guru
                          does is recognize the Self in the devotee, and gently
                          attempt to put the devotee's attention there.

                          If gurus did that instead of enjoying all the adulation
                          that comes with being thought of as God, a whole lot
                          more of their devotees would actually come to realization,
                          rather than getting stuck in a cul-de-sac of shame and
                          obsessiveness over not being pure enough to know God.

                          That is one of the biggest tragedies wrought by the
                          egregious misinterpretation of Vedanta by the hagio-
                          deluded progenitors of neo Hinduism coming out of
                          India these days.
                        • ser_el_ser
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                            m...> wrote:
                            > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                            > > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                            > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
                            > > > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
                            > > > ...all the past impressions
                            > > > condition our
                            > > > eradicated,material
                            > of
                            > > > our existence.
                            > > >

                            > > > Yes, this is a most
                            > > > beautiful experience.
                            > > > The essence of it is
                            > > > written of in many
                            > > > philosophies, religions
                            > > > and spiritual traditions.
                            > > >
                            > > > When the conditioned
                            > > > self" gives way to
                            > > > the "True Self" one
                            > > > is absolved of all
                            > > > guilt and anguish -
                            > > > and everything,
                            > > > EVERYTHING, falls
                            > > > into place.
                            > > >
                            > > > The absolved one now
                            > > > faces existence in a
                            > > > whole new light, as
                            > > > a whole new being.
                            > > >
                            > > > "You shall know the
                            > > > Truth, and The Truth
                            > > > shall set you free."
                            > > >
                            > > > And, as The Tao says,
                            > > > "If it wasn't bullshit
                            > > > to the conditioned mind,
                            > > > it wouldn't be The Way."
                            > >
                            > > That's all well and good. But the idea that
                            > > this happens by way of a magical transferrence
                            > > of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.
                            > >
                            > > It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                            > > and added clarity brought about by meditation.
                            > >
                            > > You don't get something for nothing, and there's
                            > > no magical powers to do it for you.
                            >
                            > We don't know enough
                            > to know whether we
                            > know this or not.

                            Hello Jeff and Jodi,

                            I would like to enter here.
                            Though I agree with Jodi that "It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                            and added clarity brought about by meditation" in the sense that
                            understanding comes with time, I also know that thanks to a shocking sudden
                            realization one can know for once what the true nature of oneself is.
                            Though in my case deconditioning is still happening, the truth of being is
                            always known since this happening.
                            From an exchange on Spiritual Humanism group, a lot of reflectioning has
                            been happening in the past days, since there seems that many that
                            apparently are very clear, have not had this 'shocking sudden realization', but
                            apparently stand on this deconditioning along time as the only means. When I
                            come to describe what happened in my case, it is as difficult to describe it
                            from my side as to understand or accept it from the point of view of those
                            reading the post. So I am coming to accept that talking about this happening
                            goes nowhere.
                            The point is, that the fact of not having had the "experience" with its
                            consequent amazing realization of something so evident that was never seen
                            before, does not proves the invalidity or impossibility of it.
                            And here comes the issue of denying.
                            I have never flight on an Icarus, but I cannot deny the described experiences
                            of those who had, for the simple reason of not having had the same
                            experience. I cannot deny.

                            So this is why I feel that saying that these and that way or these and that
                            philosophy is not valid, is improper, and more than that, absolutely unfair.

                            Everything is possible. Evidently, not within the thinking process or the
                            rational limitations, but within existence.

                            So why deny anything? If you, Jodi, want to help others see their delusions
                            and make them open their eyes, is it not possible without denying
                            possibilities?

                            Maria L
                          • jodyrrr
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "ser_el_ser"
                              <ser_el_ser@y...> wrote:
                              > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@
                              > m...> wrote:
                              > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr"
                              > > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                              > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                              > > of

                              > > > That's all well and good. But the idea that
                              > > > this happens by way of a magical transferrence
                              > > > of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.
                              > > >
                              > > > It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                              > > > and added clarity brought about by meditation.
                              > > >
                              > > > You don't get something for nothing, and there's
                              > > > no magical powers to do it for you.
                              > >
                              > > We don't know enough
                              > > to know whether we
                              > > know this or not.
                              >
                              > Hello Jeff and Jodi,
                              >
                              > I would like to enter here.
                              > Though I agree with Jodi that "It happens over time by way of
                              deconditioning
                              > and added clarity brought about by meditation" in the sense that
                              > understanding comes with time, I also know that thanks to a shocking
                              sudden
                              > realization one can know for once what the true nature of oneself is.

                              But those shocks come by way of sudden reckonings, or perhaps
                              emotional reactions to traumatic occurrances, not by some guru
                              waving his magic fingers at you.

                              > Though in my case deconditioning is still happening, the truth of
                              being is
                              > always known since this happening.
                              > From an exchange on Spiritual Humanism group, a lot of reflectioning
                              has
                              > been happening in the past days, since there seems that many that
                              > apparently are very clear, have not had this 'shocking sudden
                              realization', but
                              > apparently stand on this deconditioning along time as the only
                              means. When I
                              > come to describe what happened in my case, it is as difficult to
                              describe it
                              > from my side as to understand or accept it from the point of view of
                              those
                              > reading the post. So I am coming to accept that talking about this
                              happening
                              > goes nowhere.
                              > The point is, that the fact of not having had the "experience" with its
                              > consequent amazing realization of something so evident that was
                              never seen
                              > before, does not proves the invalidity or impossibility of it.
                              > And here comes the issue of denying.
                              > I have never flight on an Icarus, but I cannot deny the described
                              experiences
                              > of those who had, for the simple reason of not having had the same
                              > experience. I cannot deny.
                              >
                              > So this is why I feel that saying that these and that way or these
                              and that
                              > philosophy is not valid, is improper, and more than that, absolutely
                              unfair.

                              > Everything is possible. Evidently, not within the thinking process
                              or the
                              > rational limitations, but within existence.
                              >
                              > So why deny anything? If you, Jodi, want to help others see their
                              delusions
                              > and make them open their eyes, is it not possible without denying
                              > possibilities?
                              >
                              > Maria L

                              Because I'm convinced that believing in magical occurrances as
                              a way to establish one in realization work much more against
                              realization rather than for it. This is based on my own
                              experiences and observations. I was a close disciple of
                              one of these "transmission" gurus, and I observed first-hand
                              the fact that it wasn't by magic, but by *belief* in magic
                              that people got their "experiences." I also observed that
                              these experiences were generated at the *suggestion* of the
                              guru *before* he waved his magic fingers. I observed as well
                              that those who wanted to impress the guru had regular
                              experiences, because this pleased the guru to hear. Finally,
                              I observed that the "experiences" had this way were nothing
                              more than fantasies that led to nothing except a kind of
                              pride over having experienced them, which itself led to a
                              false sense of adeptness.

                              I'm not denying the possibility that realization cannot
                              occur in one of these contexts, I'm saying that the model
                              is *imagined* rather than real. It's faith-healing, not
                              magical transmission. The "experiences" these folks get
                              are psychological/emotional, *interpreted* to be spiritual.

                              The Upanishads say it's not a thought, feeling, idea, or
                              experience. Anything you feel is a feeling. Anything
                              you think is a thought. 'This' is neither, and while the
                              direct knowing of 'this' occurs in a context of thought
                              and feeling, those who know it know it has as much to do
                              with either as my dog's ass.
                            • ser_el_ser
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                                ....snip

> [...]
                                > experiences, because this pleased the guru to hear. Finally,
                                > I observed that the "experiences" had this way were nothing
                                > more than fantasies that led to nothing except a kind of
                                > pride over having experienced them, which itself led to a
                                > false sense of adeptness.
                                >
                                > I'm not denying the possibility that realization cannot
                                > occur in one of these contexts, I'm saying that the model
                                > is *imagined* rather than real. It's faith-healing, not
                                > magical transmission. The "experiences" these folks get
                                > are psychological/emotional, *interpreted* to be spiritual.
                                >
                                > The Upanishads say it's not a thought, feeling, idea, or
                                > experience. Anything you feel is a feeling. Anything
                                > you think is a thought. 'This' is neither, and while the
                                > direct knowing of 'this' occurs in a context of thought
                                > and feeling, those who know it know it has as much to do

                                Thanks, very good reply.

                                Maria
                              • globe peace
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 17, 2005

                                  Hi all,

                                  Greetings. I found this link, that narrates the author's experience on meditation - cool and beautiful -
                                  http://www.udaypai.net/begin.htm
                                  Worth reading and we should encourage this guy
                                  Peace and love

                                  Martin

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                                • Jeff Belyea
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 18, 2005
                                    Jody,

                                    I'm not an advocate of
                                    the transmission view,
                                    and you know that. I
                                    just can't resist jostling
                                    your "certainty" whenever
                                    I read your fiery "this is
                                    nothing more than..."
                                    attempts to present your
                                    bitter bluster as objective
                                    truth.

                                    That fundamentalists' fungi
                                    stinks worse than any flight
                                    of glittery creative rubric
                                    that goes into the make-up
                                    of the guru magic show.

                                    Voltaire, another fiery
                                    habanero imbiber who
                                    did his share of singes
                                    in his time, said,
                                    "Uncertainly may be
                                    uncomfortable, but
                                    certainty is ridiculous."

                                    Anyway, I love your
                                    writing style. Even if
                                    the content is blustery,
                                    your tenacity is awesome.
                                    It's like...(another of
                                    my bruxism-producing
                                    favorites)...never not
                                    the case.

                                    Your relentless pursuit
                                    of the phoney guru hasn't
                                    abated for a minute since
                                    your own Guru Application
                                    was turned down.

                                    You even have a handle on
                                    what constitutes a "real"
                                    guru? Where are they?
                                    Who are they?

                                    Love transmitting
                                    every minute,

                                    Jeff

                                    PS: This has to bring
                                    Bruce out.

                                    > I've been in the presence of 4 well-known gurus,
                                    > and I've seen people practically flipping on the
                                    > ground like fish over them, but there was never
                                    > any evidence of anything more than their ideas
                                    > about the gurus causing anything. If "transmission"
                                    > was really a legit avenue for realization, why aren't
                                    > ALL of Amma's devotees realized?
                                    >
                                    > Amma's devotees will say because we're not pure
                                    > enough. And that is the occluding idea which Amma
                                    > clogs their brains with. The fact is that everyone
                                    > has it—as you know—they just don't all see it.
                                    > It has nothing to do with purity and everything to
                                    > do with a simple lack of recognition. That's what
                                    > a real guru helps you with. S/he doesn't bathe you
                                    > in their "divine" light. That's just sales boilerplate
                                    > to keep the satsang junkies coming. What a real guru
                                    > does is recognize the Self in the devotee, and gently
                                    > attempt to put the devotee's attention there.
                                    >
                                    > If gurus did that instead of enjoying all the adulation
                                    > that comes with being thought of as God, a whole lot
                                    > more of their devotees would actually come to realization,
                                    > rather than getting stuck in a cul-de-sac of shame and
                                    > obsessiveness over not being pure enough to know God.
                                    >
                                    > That is one of the biggest tragedies wrought by the
                                    > egregious misinterpretation of Vedanta by the hagio-
                                    > deluded progenitors of neo Hinduism coming out of
                                    > India these days.
                                  • jodyrrr
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 19, 2005
                                      <jeff@m...> wrote:
                                      > Jody,
                                      >
                                      > I'm not an advocate of
                                      > the transmission view,
                                      > and you know that. I
                                      > just can't resist jostling
                                      > your "certainty" whenever
                                      > I read your fiery "this is
                                      > nothing more than..."
                                      > attempts to present your
                                      > bitter bluster as objective
                                      > truth.

                                      It's not coming from a bitter place, Jeff,
                                      but a frustrated and exasperated one.

                                      Frustrated by the many wrong ideas and
                                      beliefs about gurus, and exasperated by
                                      those who believe and promote them.

                                      > That fundamentalists' fungi
                                      > stinks worse than any flight
                                      > of glittery creative rubric
                                      > that goes into the make-up
                                      > of the guru magic show.

                                      Fundamentalist? Not at all, Jeff.
                                      I'm convinced any path will work,
                                      including the heaviest guru bhakti
                                      with the most narcissistic of the
                                      "divine" among us.

                                      It's not what you believe (or who
                                      you are believing in,) it's how you
                                      believe it.

                                      I'm not saying that the "magic" can't
                                      work, I'm that believing in magical
                                      gurus is not one bit different from
                                      believing in fairy tales as children.
                                      And like children waiting to see the
                                      tooth fairy, many folks get stuck waiting
                                      for something that will never come, their
                                      idea of magical enlightenment being the
                                      primary impediment.

                                      > Voltaire, another fiery
                                      > habanero imbiber who
                                      > did his share of singes
                                      > in his time, said,
                                      > "Uncertainly may be
                                      > uncomfortable, but
                                      > certainty is ridiculous."

                                      My "certainty" is much more in how I'm
                                      sounding rather than what I'm meaning.
                                      As I said, the whole (ridiculous) magic
                                      thing can work. It does work. That's
                                      why it's so successful. But the way it
                                      works is just like faith-healing. The
                                      guru doesn't have the power, *you* do.
                                      You allow yourself to experience your
                                      *own* power in the presence of a guru,
                                      because having a guru around allows you
                                      to believe it will happen.

                                      > Anyway, I love your
                                      > writing style. Even if
                                      > the content is blustery,
                                      > your tenacity is awesome.
                                      > It's like...(another of
                                      > my bruxism-producing
                                      > favorites)...never not
                                      > the case.

                                      I suppose I'm a bit of a broken record
                                      about these things. Ces't la vie.

                                      > Your relentless pursuit
                                      > of the phoney guru hasn't
                                      > abated for a minute since
                                      > your own Guru Application
                                      > was turned down.

                                      My "relentless pursuit" was going long,
                                      long before that little debacle. I never
                                      considered that application valid
                                      anyway, given the state of mind of the
                                      manager there. Besides, everyone I respect
                                      *except* you were out of that comeditragedy
                                      soon after I left anyway.

                                      > You even have a handle on
                                      > what constitutes a "real"
                                      > guru? Where are they?
                                      > Who are they?

                                      Anyone who knows who they are and are *not*
                                      on any kind of pedestal, whether by their own
                                      devices or that of their devotees.

                                      A real guru makes sure his/her people know
                                      that they are just exactly like them, in the
                                      same boat of life floating on the same sea
                                      together. A real guru makes everyone know
                                      that they are just as divine as anyone else,
                                      that divinity is right here, right now in
                                      all of our lives, exclusive of no one.

                                      --jody

                                      BTW: I'm heading into the bush for a few days.
                                      I'll be back online Monday.

                                      > Love transmitting
                                      > every minute,
                                      >
                                      > Jeff
                                      >
                                      > PS: This has to bring
                                      > Bruce out.
                                      >

                                      > > I've been in the presence of 4 well-known gurus,
                                      > > and I've seen people practically flipping on the
                                      > > ground like fish over them, but there was never
                                      > > any evidence of anything more than their ideas
                                      > > about the gurus causing anything. If "transmission"
                                      > > was really a legit avenue for realization, why aren't
                                      > > ALL of Amma's devotees realized?
                                      > >
                                      > > Amma's devotees will say because we're not pure
                                      > > enough. And that is the occluding idea which Amma
                                      > > clogs their brains with. The fact is that everyone
                                      > > has it—as you know—they just don't all see it.
                                      > > It has nothing to do with purity and everything to
                                      > > do with a simple lack of recognition. That's what
                                      > > a real guru helps you with. S/he doesn't bathe you
                                      > > in their "divine" light. That's just sales boilerplate
                                      > > to keep the satsang junkies coming. What a real guru
                                      > > does is recognize the Self in the devotee, and gently
                                      > > attempt to put the devotee's attention there.
                                      > >
                                      > > If gurus did that instead of enjoying all the adulation
                                      > > that comes with being thought of as God, a whole lot
                                      > > more of their devotees would actually come to realization,
                                      > > rather than getting stuck in a cul-de-sac of shame and
                                      > > obsessiveness over not being pure enough to know God.
                                      > >
                                      > > That is one of the biggest tragedies wrought by the
                                      > > egregious misinterpretation of Vedanta by the hagio-
                                      > > deluded progenitors of neo Hinduism coming out of
                                      > > India these days.
                                    • Jeff Belyea
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 19, 2005
                                        Thanks, Jody -