Re: WHAT IS TRANSMISSION ?

  • jodyrrr
    Message 1 of 21 , May 17, 2005
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
      <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
      > An essential and unique feature of Sahaj Marg is the direct help and
      > guidance of the Master in the form of transmission of Divine Energy
      (called
      > 'PRANAHUTI' IN Sanskrit) from the Master to the aspirant.

      Magical nonsense designed to make your guru rich.

      > When the Divine Energy is transmitted into the heart of the practician
      > (abhyasi),the practician is then filled with a force higher than
      himself and
      > therefore his,evolution or progress becomes very much faster and,in
      essence
      > is independent of his own capacity for progress.

      Mystifatically ridiculous.

      > Also by the Master's power,the Transmission erases all the past
      impressions
      > (called samskaras) which we have built up in our minds and that
      condition our
      > behaviour and existence.When the past impressions are
      eradicated,material
      > existence falls into its proper place,as does every other facet of
      our existence.

      Complete and utter bullshit.
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 21 , May 17, 2005
        Jody -

        Are you trying to
        recreate GR here
        in peaceful Bob's
        place, with your
        fiery vanguard?

        Have another
        habanero.

        With all of love's
        transmission
        that one guru
        can muster,

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 21 , May 17, 2005
          <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
          ...all the past impressions
          > (called samskaras) which we have built up in our minds and that
          condition our
          > behaviour and existence.When the past impressions are
          eradicated,material
          > existence falls into its proper place,as does every other facet of
          our existence.

          Yes, this is a most
          beautiful experience.
          The essence of it is
          written of in many
          philosophies, religions
          and spiritual traditions.

          When the conditioned
          self" gives way to
          the "True Self" one
          is absolved of all
          guilt and anguish -
          and everything,
          EVERYTHING, falls
          into place.

          The absolved one now
          faces existence in a
          whole new light, as
          a whole new being.

          "You shall know the
          Truth, and The Truth
          shall set you free."

          And, as The Tao says,
          "If it wasn't bullshit
          to the conditioned mind,
          it wouldn't be The Way."
          Message 4 of 21 , May 17, 2005
            <jeff@m...> wrote:
            > Jody -
            >
            > Are you trying to
            > recreate GR here
            > in peaceful Bob's
            > place, with your
            > fiery vanguard?
            >
            > Have another
            > habanero.
            >
            > With all of love's
            > transmission
            > that one guru
            > can muster,
            >
            > Jeff

            Yo Papajeff,
            You're probably right on the money with labeling
            Jodyji's remarks as having the GuruRatings group
            flavor about them. And this brings to mind other times
            here where one side of an issue (who's a real
            Guru and who's not) and another had great debates that
            were pretty ugly and didn't seem to fit the beauty
            and tranquility that meditation usually is associated
            with. But now, as then, I think (and that will always
            cause trouble:-) that both Jodiji and Sri Subhash Naik
            have good intentions. One seeks to spare others from
            wasting time on a path that leads to nowhere, and the
            other to help point out a path they have found to be
            beneficial. But - "...the road to Hell is paved with
            good intentions", and I know you remember how we
            ended up with hundreds of posts here that were mostly
            "You're a jerk and a fraud" "Oh yeah - well so are
            you and so's your mother", or something similar. So,
            as in life, even a meditative one, there are always
            going to be times that are seemingly incongruous
            with the environment we would like to be in, but often
            these are the times that we can learn the most. I hope
            that this is just such a moment for this group. And
            if it starts to get out of hand, I have a feeling that
            another window will open and a gust of fresh air will
            get the stink out of the room. In any event, we always
            have the option of the "can't go wrong" strategy of
            silently witnessing the events and paying attention
            with "good" intention. And if that doesn't do it, well,
            we can always start talking about the Eagles chances
            of going back to the Superbowl if TO holds out.

            Message 5 of 21 , May 17, 2005
              <jeff@m...> wrote:
              > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
              > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
              > ...all the past impressions
              > > (called samskaras) which we have built up in our minds and that
              > condition our
              > > behaviour and existence.When the past impressions are
              > eradicated,material
              > > existence falls into its proper place,as does every other facet of
              > our existence.
              >

              > Yes, this is a most
              > beautiful experience.
              > The essence of it is
              > written of in many
              > philosophies, religions
              > and spiritual traditions.
              >
              > When the conditioned
              > self" gives way to
              > the "True Self" one
              > is absolved of all
              > guilt and anguish -
              > and everything,
              > EVERYTHING, falls
              > into place.
              >
              > The absolved one now
              > faces existence in a
              > whole new light, as
              > a whole new being.
              >
              > "You shall know the
              > Truth, and The Truth
              > shall set you free."
              >
              > And, as The Tao says,
              > "If it wasn't bullshit
              > to the conditioned mind,
              > it wouldn't be The Way."

              That's all well and good. But the idea that
              this happens by way of a magical transferrence
              of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.

              It happens over time by way of deconditioning
              and added clarity brought about by meditation.

              You don't get something for nothing, and there's
              no magical powers to do it for you.
            • jodyrrr
              Message 6 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                [snip]

                > that both Jodiji and Sri Subhash Naik
                > have good intentions. One seeks to spare others from
                > wasting time on a path that leads to nowhere, and the
                > other to help point out a path they have found to be
                > beneficial.

                Actually, I believe Sahaj Marg will work just as good
                as anything. Included in that anything are the practices
                listed at meditationsociety.org. I'm not doubting that
                it works, just the idea that you have to PAY for it, and
                the idea that it's better than other, more economical
                methods.

                But the thing that really gets my panties knotted is the
                idea that its effacacy is due to a magical transmission that
                comes from a "master." This idea is clearly in the realm
                of magical thinking and is no better than a fairy tale.
                But this fairy tale is being used to promote the practice.

                That's what's BS about it. It's a marketing hook along
                the lines of those used by snake oil salesman. The so-called
                "masters" powers are no more effective than those of my
                dog. The practice may work, but it works by means of
                creating sattvas in the mind, not because some guru
                somewhere is dosing you with a "transmission."

                --jody.

                [snip]
              • jodyrrr
                Message 7 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                  <jeff@m...> wrote:
                  > Jody -
                  >
                  > Are you trying to
                  > recreate GR here
                  > in peaceful Bob's
                  > place, with your
                  > fiery vanguard?
                  >
                  > Have another
                  > habanero.
                  >
                  > With all of love's
                  > transmission
                  > that one guru
                  > can muster,
                  >
                  > Jeff

                  Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?

                  I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                  begins to refrain from his incessant
                  guru pimping.

                  --jody.

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                    <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                    > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                    > > Jody -
                    > >
                    > > Are you trying to
                    > > recreate GR here
                    > > in peaceful Bob's
                    > > place, with your
                    > > fiery vanguard?
                    > >
                    > > Have another
                    > > habanero.
                    > >
                    > > With all of love's
                    > > transmission
                    > > that one guru
                    > > can muster,
                    > >
                    > > Jeff
                    >
                    > Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?
                    >
                    > I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                    > begins to refrain from his incessant
                    > guru pimping.
                    >
                    > --jody.

                    Yo Jodyji,
                    I won't address the validity of your labeling
                    Sri Subhash's actions as "guru pimping" (even though
                    I must admit that the phrase made me laugh), but
                    the adverb/adjective "incessant" might be a bit
                    off base. For a while there had been several
                    posts a day about Sahaj Marg and when I asked to
                    have that limited to one per day, so as to not
                    turn this forum excessivly into a Sahaj Marg
                    advertisement, Sri Subhash graciously agreed,
                    and has continued complying with my request 100%.
                    I now feel it right to release him from that limit
                    should he care to respond to you. And of course, your
                    posts are always welcome and appreciated.
                  • jodyrrr
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                      > > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                      > > > Jody -
                      > > >
                      > > > Are you trying to
                      > > > recreate GR here
                      > > > in peaceful Bob's
                      > > > place, with your
                      > > > fiery vanguard?
                      > > >
                      > > > Have another
                      > > > habanero.
                      > > >
                      > > > With all of love's
                      > > > transmission
                      > > > that one guru
                      > > > can muster,
                      > > >
                      > > > Jeff
                      > >
                      > > Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?
                      > >
                      > > I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                      > > begins to refrain from his incessant
                      > > guru pimping.
                      > >
                      > > --jody.
                      > >
                      > Yo Jodyji,
                      > I won't address the validity of your labeling
                      > Sri Subhash's actions as "guru pimping" (even though
                      > I must admit that the phrase made me laugh), but
                      > the adverb/adjective "incessant" might be a bit
                      > off base.

                      Once every day or so with the same exact content
                      qualifies as incessant in my book.

                      > For a while there had been several
                      > posts a day about Sahaj Marg and when I asked to
                      > have that limited to one per day, so as to not
                      > turn this forum excessivly into a Sahaj Marg
                      > advertisement, Sri Subhash graciously agreed,
                      > and has continued complying with my request 100%.

                      It's still advertising at one per day, especially
                      given the static content.

                      > I now feel it right to release him from that limit
                      > should he care to respond to you. And of course, your
                      > posts are always welcome and appreciated.
                      > Peace and blessings,
                      > Bob

                      I welcome the opportunity.

                      Thanks, Bob.

                      --jody.
                    • Jeff Belyea
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                        <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                        > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                        > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
                        > > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
                        > > ...all the past impressions
                        > > > (called samskaras) which we have built up in our minds and that
                        > > condition our
                        > > > behaviour and existence.When the past impressions are
                        > > eradicated,material
                        > > > existence falls into its proper place,as does every other facet
                        of
                        > > our existence.
                        > >

                        > > Yes, this is a most
                        > > beautiful experience.
                        > > The essence of it is
                        > > written of in many
                        > > philosophies, religions
                        > > and spiritual traditions.
                        > >
                        > > When the conditioned
                        > > self" gives way to
                        > > the "True Self" one
                        > > is absolved of all
                        > > guilt and anguish -
                        > > and everything,
                        > > EVERYTHING, falls
                        > > into place.
                        > >
                        > > The absolved one now
                        > > faces existence in a
                        > > whole new light, as
                        > > a whole new being.
                        > >
                        > > "You shall know the
                        > > Truth, and The Truth
                        > > shall set you free."
                        > >
                        > > And, as The Tao says,
                        > > "If it wasn't bullshit
                        > > to the conditioned mind,
                        > > it wouldn't be The Way."
                        >
                        > That's all well and good. But the idea that
                        > this happens by way of a magical transferrence
                        > of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.
                        >
                        > It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                        > and added clarity brought about by meditation.
                        >
                        > You don't get something for nothing, and there's
                        > no magical powers to do it for you.

                        We don't know enough
                        to know whether we
                        know this or not.
                      • Jeff Belyea
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                          <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                          > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                          > > Jody -
                          > >
                          > > Are you trying to
                          > > recreate GR here
                          > > in peaceful Bob's
                          > > place, with your
                          > > fiery vanguard?
                          > >
                          > > Have another
                          > > habanero.
                          > >
                          > > With all of love's
                          > > transmission
                          > > that one guru
                          > > can muster,
                          > >
                          > > Jeff
                          >
                          > Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?
                          >
                          > I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                          > begins to refrain from his incessant
                          > guru pimping.
                          >
                          > --jody.

                          Bob addressed it well.

                          Having received his
                          transmission, I will
                          simply open a window
                          when your literary
                          lurches, propelled by
                          habanero lunch, reach
                          the launchpad of
                          digestive release.

                          In an earlier incarnation,
                          weren't you the one
                          who poo-pooed the
                          theory of flight,
                          breaking the 4-minute
                          mile barrier, and the
                          very idea of transmitting
                          pictures over a cable?

                          10

                          9

                          8

                          7

                          6

                          ...open window.
                        • jodyrrr
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                            <jeff@m...> wrote:
                            > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                            > > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                            > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
                            > > > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
                            > > > ...all the past impressions
                            > > > condition our
                            > > > eradicated,material
                            > of
                            > > > our existence.
                            > > >

                            > > > Yes, this is a most
                            > > > beautiful experience.
                            > > > The essence of it is
                            > > > written of in many
                            > > > philosophies, religions
                            > > > and spiritual traditions.
                            > > >
                            > > > When the conditioned
                            > > > self" gives way to
                            > > > the "True Self" one
                            > > > is absolved of all
                            > > > guilt and anguish -
                            > > > and everything,
                            > > > EVERYTHING, falls
                            > > > into place.
                            > > >
                            > > > The absolved one now
                            > > > faces existence in a
                            > > > whole new light, as
                            > > > a whole new being.
                            > > >
                            > > > "You shall know the
                            > > > Truth, and The Truth
                            > > > shall set you free."
                            > > >
                            > > > And, as The Tao says,
                            > > > "If it wasn't bullshit
                            > > > to the conditioned mind,
                            > > > it wouldn't be The Way."
                            > >
                            > > That's all well and good. But the idea that
                            > > this happens by way of a magical transferrence
                            > > of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.
                            > >
                            > > It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                            > > and added clarity brought about by meditation.
                            > >
                            > > You don't get something for nothing, and there's
                            > > no magical powers to do it for you.
                            >
                            > We don't know enough
                            > to know whether we
                            > know this or not.

                            That's what the magic apologists like to say.

                            "How can you know that you know."

                            Because I can find a more likely explantion
                            that doesn't resort to mystified nonsense.
                            And because *anything* in the realm of magical
                            is *always* phenomenological. So, two people
                            will experience their "magic" in completely
                            different ways. This puts such phenomena
                            squarely in the category 'imaginal,' IOW,
                            made up.

                            If someone gets a cold, they're likely to
                            believe it came from a germ rather
                            than believing a curse was set upon them.

                            But as soon as a "divine" guru enters the
                            equation, all reason flies right out the window,
                            and normally rational folk are prepared to
                            believe all kinds of utter nonsense. Just
                            hang out at an Amma satsang to catch a
                            glimpse.

                            It's a form of infantilism that pollutes
                            spiritual culture like a plague of ignorance.

                            And it keeps people from seeing the truth of
                            their own being, because they are taught to
                            believe it only comes by way of the magic
                            "transmissions" of their guru. It may as
                            well be a nocturnal emmission. At least then
                            you are getting something real, if not icky
                            and sticky and gross.
                          • jodyrrr
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                              <jeff@m...> wrote:
                              > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                              > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                              > > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                              > > > Jody -
                              > > >
                              > > > Are you trying to
                              > > > recreate GR here
                              > > > in peaceful Bob's
                              > > > place, with your
                              > > > fiery vanguard?
                              > > >
                              > > > Have another
                              > > > habanero.
                              > > >
                              > > > With all of love's
                              > > > transmission
                              > > > that one guru
                              > > > can muster,
                              > > >
                              > > > Jeff
                              > >
                              > > Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?
                              > >
                              > > I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                              > > begins to refrain from his incessant
                              > > guru pimping.
                              > >
                              > > --jody.
                              > >

                              > Bob addressed it well.
                              >
                              > Having received his
                              > transmission, I will
                              > simply open a window
                              > when your literary
                              > lurches, propelled by
                              > habanero lunch, reach
                              > the launchpad of
                              > digestive release.
                              >
                              > In an earlier incarnation,
                              > weren't you the one
                              > who poo-pooed the
                              > theory of flight,
                              > breaking the 4-minute
                              > mile barrier, and the
                              > very idea of transmitting
                              > pictures over a cable?
                              >

                              > 10
                              >
                              > 9
                              >
                              > 8
                              >
                              > 7
                              >
                              > 6
                              >
                              > ...open window.

                              That's a reverse metaphor, Jeff.

                              You are talking of the progression from
                              magic to rational with these examples.

                              Observing birds in flight, I can imagine
                              men one day doing so.

                              Seeing men going faster and faster, I can
                              imagine a 4-minute mile.

                              Seeing a photograph and knowing of the
                              telegraph, I can imagine pictures over cable.

                              But not seeing anything like a "transmission"
                              from a guru, and only having my subjective
                              interpretation of my experience, and the
                              subjective interpretation of others' experience,
                              and knowing that these interpretations are almost
                              always completely different from one another;
                              I'm making a huge, irrational leap to believe
                              that such is occurring in the light of a more
                              simple explanation, that the so-called "transmitted"
                              experiences are nothing more than self-suggested
                              wish fulfillment.

                              I've been in the presence of 4 well-known gurus,
                              and I've seen people practically flipping on the
                              ground like fish over them, but there was never
                              any evidence of anything more than their ideas
                              about the gurus causing anything. If "transmission"
                              was really a legit avenue for realization, why aren't
                              ALL of Amma's devotees realized?

                              Amma's devotees will say because we're not pure
                              enough. And that is the occluding idea which Amma
                              clogs their brains with. The fact is that everyone
                              has it—as you know—they just don't all see it.
                              It has nothing to do with purity and everything to
                              do with a simple lack of recognition. That's what
                              a real guru helps you with. S/he doesn't bathe you
                              in their "divine" light. That's just sales boilerplate
                              to keep the satsang junkies coming. What a real guru
                              does is recognize the Self in the devotee, and gently
                              attempt to put the devotee's attention there.

                              If gurus did that instead of enjoying all the adulation
                              that comes with being thought of as God, a whole lot
                              more of their devotees would actually come to realization,
                              rather than getting stuck in a cul-de-sac of shame and
                              obsessiveness over not being pure enough to know God.

                              That is one of the biggest tragedies wrought by the
                              egregious misinterpretation of Vedanta by the hagio-
                              deluded progenitors of neo Hinduism coming out of
                              India these days.
                            • ser_el_ser
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                                m...> wrote:
                                > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                                > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                                > > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                                > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
                                > > > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
                                > > > ...all the past impressions
                                > > > condition our
                                > > > eradicated,material
                                > of
                                > > > our existence.
                                > > >

                                > > > Yes, this is a most
                                > > > beautiful experience.
                                > > > The essence of it is
                                > > > written of in many
                                > > > philosophies, religions
                                > > > and spiritual traditions.
                                > > >
                                > > > When the conditioned
                                > > > self" gives way to
                                > > > the "True Self" one
                                > > > is absolved of all
                                > > > guilt and anguish -
                                > > > and everything,
                                > > > EVERYTHING, falls
                                > > > into place.
                                > > >
                                > > > The absolved one now
                                > > > faces existence in a
                                > > > whole new light, as
                                > > > a whole new being.
                                > > >
                                > > > "You shall know the
                                > > > Truth, and The Truth
                                > > > shall set you free."
                                > > >
                                > > > And, as The Tao says,
                                > > > "If it wasn't bullshit
                                > > > to the conditioned mind,
                                > > > it wouldn't be The Way."
                                > >
                                > > That's all well and good. But the idea that
                                > > this happens by way of a magical transferrence
                                > > of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.
                                > >
                                > > It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                                > > and added clarity brought about by meditation.
                                > >
                                > > You don't get something for nothing, and there's
                                > > no magical powers to do it for you.
                                >
                                > We don't know enough
                                > to know whether we
                                > know this or not.

                                Hello Jeff and Jodi,

                                I would like to enter here.
                                Though I agree with Jodi that "It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                                and added clarity brought about by meditation" in the sense that
                                understanding comes with time, I also know that thanks to a shocking sudden
                                realization one can know for once what the true nature of oneself is.
                                Though in my case deconditioning is still happening, the truth of being is
                                always known since this happening.
                                From an exchange on Spiritual Humanism group, a lot of reflectioning has
                                been happening in the past days, since there seems that many that
                                apparently are very clear, have not had this 'shocking sudden realization', but
                                apparently stand on this deconditioning along time as the only means. When I
                                come to describe what happened in my case, it is as difficult to describe it
                                from my side as to understand or accept it from the point of view of those
                                reading the post. So I am coming to accept that talking about this happening
                                goes nowhere.
                                The point is, that the fact of not having had the "experience" with its
                                consequent amazing realization of something so evident that was never seen
                                before, does not proves the invalidity or impossibility of it.
                                And here comes the issue of denying.
                                I have never flight on an Icarus, but I cannot deny the described experiences
                                of those who had, for the simple reason of not having had the same
                                experience. I cannot deny.

                                So this is why I feel that saying that these and that way or these and that
                                philosophy is not valid, is improper, and more than that, absolutely unfair.

                                Everything is possible. Evidently, not within the thinking process or the
                                rational limitations, but within existence.

                                So why deny anything? If you, Jodi, want to help others see their delusions
                                and make them open their eyes, is it not possible without denying
                                possibilities?

                                Maria L
                              • jodyrrr
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "ser_el_ser"
                                  <ser_el_ser@y...> wrote:
                                  > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@
                                  > m...> wrote:
                                  > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr"
                                  > > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                                  > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                                  > > of

                                  > > > That's all well and good. But the idea that
                                  > > > this happens by way of a magical transferrence
                                  > > > of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                                  > > > and added clarity brought about by meditation.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > You don't get something for nothing, and there's
                                  > > > no magical powers to do it for you.
                                  > >
                                  > > We don't know enough
                                  > > to know whether we
                                  > > know this or not.
                                  >
                                  > Hello Jeff and Jodi,
                                  >
                                  > I would like to enter here.
                                  > Though I agree with Jodi that "It happens over time by way of
                                  deconditioning
                                  > and added clarity brought about by meditation" in the sense that
                                  > understanding comes with time, I also know that thanks to a shocking
                                  sudden
                                  > realization one can know for once what the true nature of oneself is.

                                  But those shocks come by way of sudden reckonings, or perhaps
                                  emotional reactions to traumatic occurrances, not by some guru
                                  waving his magic fingers at you.

                                  > Though in my case deconditioning is still happening, the truth of
                                  being is
                                  > always known since this happening.
                                  > From an exchange on Spiritual Humanism group, a lot of reflectioning
                                  has
                                  > been happening in the past days, since there seems that many that
                                  > apparently are very clear, have not had this 'shocking sudden
                                  realization', but
                                  > apparently stand on this deconditioning along time as the only
                                  means. When I
                                  > come to describe what happened in my case, it is as difficult to
                                  describe it
                                  > from my side as to understand or accept it from the point of view of
                                  those
                                  > reading the post. So I am coming to accept that talking about this
                                  happening
                                  > goes nowhere.
                                  > The point is, that the fact of not having had the "experience" with its
                                  > consequent amazing realization of something so evident that was
                                  never seen
                                  > before, does not proves the invalidity or impossibility of it.
                                  > And here comes the issue of denying.
                                  > I have never flight on an Icarus, but I cannot deny the described
                                  experiences
                                  > of those who had, for the simple reason of not having had the same
                                  > experience. I cannot deny.
                                  >
                                  > So this is why I feel that saying that these and that way or these
                                  and that
                                  > philosophy is not valid, is improper, and more than that, absolutely
                                  unfair.

                                  > Everything is possible. Evidently, not within the thinking process
                                  or the
                                  > rational limitations, but within existence.
                                  >
                                  > So why deny anything? If you, Jodi, want to help others see their
                                  delusions
                                  > and make them open their eyes, is it not possible without denying
                                  > possibilities?
                                  >
                                  > Maria L

                                  Because I'm convinced that believing in magical occurrances as
                                  a way to establish one in realization work much more against
                                  realization rather than for it. This is based on my own
                                  experiences and observations. I was a close disciple of
                                  one of these "transmission" gurus, and I observed first-hand
                                  the fact that it wasn't by magic, but by *belief* in magic
                                  that people got their "experiences." I also observed that
                                  these experiences were generated at the *suggestion* of the
                                  guru *before* he waved his magic fingers. I observed as well
                                  that those who wanted to impress the guru had regular
                                  experiences, because this pleased the guru to hear. Finally,
                                  I observed that the "experiences" had this way were nothing
                                  more than fantasies that led to nothing except a kind of
                                  pride over having experienced them, which itself led to a
                                  false sense of adeptness.

                                  I'm not denying the possibility that realization cannot
                                  occur in one of these contexts, I'm saying that the model
                                  is *imagined* rather than real. It's faith-healing, not
                                  magical transmission. The "experiences" these folks get
                                  are psychological/emotional, *interpreted* to be spiritual.

                                  The Upanishads say it's not a thought, feeling, idea, or
                                  experience. Anything you feel is a feeling. Anything
                                  you think is a thought. 'This' is neither, and while the
                                  direct knowing of 'this' occurs in a context of thought
                                  and feeling, those who know it know it has as much to do
                                  with either as my dog's ass.
                                • ser_el_ser
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                                    ....snip

> [...]
                                    > experiences, because this pleased the guru to hear. Finally,
                                    > I observed that the "experiences" had this way were nothing
                                    > more than fantasies that led to nothing except a kind of
                                    > pride over having experienced them, which itself led to a
                                    > false sense of adeptness.
                                    >
                                    > I'm not denying the possibility that realization cannot
                                    > occur in one of these contexts, I'm saying that the model
                                    > is *imagined* rather than real. It's faith-healing, not
                                    > magical transmission. The "experiences" these folks get
                                    > are psychological/emotional, *interpreted* to be spiritual.
                                    >
                                    > The Upanishads say it's not a thought, feeling, idea, or
                                    > experience. Anything you feel is a feeling. Anything
                                    > you think is a thought. 'This' is neither, and while the
                                    > direct knowing of 'this' occurs in a context of thought
                                    > and feeling, those who know it know it has as much to do

                                    Thanks, very good reply.

                                    Maria
                                  • globe peace
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 17, 2005

                                      Hi all,

                                      Greetings. I found this link, that narrates the author's experience on meditation - cool and beautiful -
                                      http://www.udaypai.net/begin.htm
                                      Worth reading and we should encourage this guy
                                      Peace and love

                                      Martin

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                                    • Jeff Belyea
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 18, 2005
                                        Jody,

                                        I'm not an advocate of
                                        the transmission view,
                                        and you know that. I
                                        just can't resist jostling
                                        your "certainty" whenever
                                        I read your fiery "this is
                                        nothing more than..."
                                        attempts to present your
                                        bitter bluster as objective
                                        truth.

                                        That fundamentalists' fungi
                                        stinks worse than any flight
                                        of glittery creative rubric
                                        that goes into the make-up
                                        of the guru magic show.

                                        Voltaire, another fiery
                                        habanero imbiber who
                                        did his share of singes
                                        in his time, said,
                                        "Uncertainly may be
                                        uncomfortable, but
                                        certainty is ridiculous."

                                        Anyway, I love your
                                        writing style. Even if
                                        the content is blustery,
                                        your tenacity is awesome.
                                        It's like...(another of
                                        my bruxism-producing
                                        favorites)...never not
                                        the case.

                                        Your relentless pursuit
                                        of the phoney guru hasn't
                                        abated for a minute since
                                        your own Guru Application
                                        was turned down.

                                        You even have a handle on
                                        what constitutes a "real"
                                        guru? Where are they?
                                        Who are they?

                                        Love transmitting
                                        every minute,

                                        Jeff

                                        PS: This has to bring
                                        Bruce out.

                                        > I've been in the presence of 4 well-known gurus,
                                        > and I've seen people practically flipping on the
                                        > ground like fish over them, but there was never
                                        > any evidence of anything more than their ideas
                                        > about the gurus causing anything. If "transmission"
                                        > was really a legit avenue for realization, why aren't
                                        > ALL of Amma's devotees realized?
                                        >
                                        > Amma's devotees will say because we're not pure
                                        > enough. And that is the occluding idea which Amma
                                        > clogs their brains with. The fact is that everyone
                                        > has it—as you know—they just don't all see it.
                                        > It has nothing to do with purity and everything to
                                        > do with a simple lack of recognition. That's what
                                        > a real guru helps you with. S/he doesn't bathe you
                                        > in their "divine" light. That's just sales boilerplate
                                        > to keep the satsang junkies coming. What a real guru
                                        > does is recognize the Self in the devotee, and gently
                                        > attempt to put the devotee's attention there.
                                        >
                                        > If gurus did that instead of enjoying all the adulation
                                        > that comes with being thought of as God, a whole lot
                                        > more of their devotees would actually come to realization,
                                        > rather than getting stuck in a cul-de-sac of shame and
                                        > obsessiveness over not being pure enough to know God.
                                        >
                                        > That is one of the biggest tragedies wrought by the
                                        > egregious misinterpretation of Vedanta by the hagio-
                                        > deluded progenitors of neo Hinduism coming out of
                                        > India these days.
                                      • jodyrrr
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 19, 2005
                                          <jeff@m...> wrote:
                                          > Jody,
                                          >
                                          > I'm not an advocate of
                                          > the transmission view,
                                          > and you know that. I
                                          > just can't resist jostling
                                          > your "certainty" whenever
                                          > I read your fiery "this is
                                          > nothing more than..."
                                          > attempts to present your
                                          > bitter bluster as objective
                                          > truth.

                                          It's not coming from a bitter place, Jeff,
                                          but a frustrated and exasperated one.

                                          Frustrated by the many wrong ideas and
                                          beliefs about gurus, and exasperated by
                                          those who believe and promote them.

                                          > That fundamentalists' fungi
                                          > stinks worse than any flight
                                          > of glittery creative rubric
                                          > that goes into the make-up
                                          > of the guru magic show.

                                          Fundamentalist? Not at all, Jeff.
                                          I'm convinced any path will work,
                                          including the heaviest guru bhakti
                                          with the most narcissistic of the
                                          "divine" among us.

                                          It's not what you believe (or who
                                          you are believing in,) it's how you
                                          believe it.

                                          I'm not saying that the "magic" can't
                                          work, I'm that believing in magical
                                          gurus is not one bit different from
                                          believing in fairy tales as children.
                                          And like children waiting to see the
                                          tooth fairy, many folks get stuck waiting
                                          for something that will never come, their
                                          idea of magical enlightenment being the
                                          primary impediment.

                                          > Voltaire, another fiery
                                          > habanero imbiber who
                                          > did his share of singes
                                          > in his time, said,
                                          > "Uncertainly may be
                                          > uncomfortable, but
                                          > certainty is ridiculous."

                                          My "certainty" is much more in how I'm
                                          sounding rather than what I'm meaning.
                                          As I said, the whole (ridiculous) magic
                                          thing can work. It does work. That's
                                          why it's so successful. But the way it
                                          works is just like faith-healing. The
                                          guru doesn't have the power, *you* do.
                                          You allow yourself to experience your
                                          *own* power in the presence of a guru,
                                          because having a guru around allows you
                                          to believe it will happen.

                                          > Anyway, I love your
                                          > writing style. Even if
                                          > the content is blustery,
                                          > your tenacity is awesome.
                                          > It's like...(another of
                                          > my bruxism-producing
                                          > favorites)...never not
                                          > the case.

                                          I suppose I'm a bit of a broken record
                                          about these things. Ces't la vie.

                                          > Your relentless pursuit
                                          > of the phoney guru hasn't
                                          > abated for a minute since
                                          > your own Guru Application
                                          > was turned down.

                                          My "relentless pursuit" was going long,
                                          long before that little debacle. I never
                                          considered that application valid
                                          anyway, given the state of mind of the
                                          manager there. Besides, everyone I respect
                                          *except* you were out of that comeditragedy
                                          soon after I left anyway.

                                          > You even have a handle on
                                          > what constitutes a "real"
                                          > guru? Where are they?
                                          > Who are they?

                                          Anyone who knows who they are and are *not*
                                          on any kind of pedestal, whether by their own
                                          devices or that of their devotees.

                                          A real guru makes sure his/her people know
                                          that they are just exactly like them, in the
                                          same boat of life floating on the same sea
                                          together. A real guru makes everyone know
                                          that they are just as divine as anyone else,
                                          that divinity is right here, right now in
                                          all of our lives, exclusive of no one.

                                          --jody

                                          BTW: I'm heading into the bush for a few days.
                                          I'll be back online Monday.

                                          > Love transmitting
                                          > every minute,
                                          >
                                          > Jeff
                                          >
                                          > PS: This has to bring
                                          > Bruce out.
                                          >

                                          > > I've been in the presence of 4 well-known gurus,
                                          > > and I've seen people practically flipping on the
                                          > > ground like fish over them, but there was never
                                          > > any evidence of anything more than their ideas
                                          > > about the gurus causing anything. If "transmission"
                                          > > was really a legit avenue for realization, why aren't
                                          > > ALL of Amma's devotees realized?
                                          > >
                                          > > Amma's devotees will say because we're not pure
                                          > > enough. And that is the occluding idea which Amma
                                          > > clogs their brains with. The fact is that everyone
                                          > > has it—as you know—they just don't all see it.
                                          > > It has nothing to do with purity and everything to
                                          > > do with a simple lack of recognition. That's what
                                          > > a real guru helps you with. S/he doesn't bathe you
                                          > > in their "divine" light. That's just sales boilerplate
                                          > > to keep the satsang junkies coming. What a real guru
                                          > > does is recognize the Self in the devotee, and gently
                                          > > attempt to put the devotee's attention there.
                                          > >
                                          > > If gurus did that instead of enjoying all the adulation
                                          > > that comes with being thought of as God, a whole lot
                                          > > more of their devotees would actually come to realization,
                                          > > rather than getting stuck in a cul-de-sac of shame and
                                          > > obsessiveness over not being pure enough to know God.
                                          > >
                                          > > That is one of the biggest tragedies wrought by the
                                          > > egregious misinterpretation of Vedanta by the hagio-
                                          > > deluded progenitors of neo Hinduism coming out of
                                          > > India these days.
                                        • Jeff Belyea
                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 19, 2005
                                            Thanks, Jody -