WHAT IS TRANSMISSION ?

  • subhash naik
    Message 1 of 21 , May 17, 2005
      An essential and unique feature of Sahaj Marg is the direct help and
      guidance of the Master in the form of transmission of Divine Energy (called
      'PRANAHUTI' IN Sanskrit) from the Master to the aspirant.

      When the Divine Energy is transmitted into the heart of the practician
      (abhyasi),the practician is then filled with a force higher than himself and
      therefore his,evolution or progress becomes very much faster and,in essence
      is independent of his own capacity for progress.

      Also by the Master's power,the Transmission erases all the past impressions
      (called samskaras) which we have built up in our minds and that condition our
      behaviour and existence.When the past impressions are eradicated,material
      existence falls into its proper place,as does every other facet of our existence.
    • jodyrrr
      Message 2 of 21 , May 17, 2005
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
        <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
        > An essential and unique feature of Sahaj Marg is the direct help and
        > guidance of the Master in the form of transmission of Divine Energy
        (called
        > 'PRANAHUTI' IN Sanskrit) from the Master to the aspirant.

        Magical nonsense designed to make your guru rich.

        > When the Divine Energy is transmitted into the heart of the practician
        > (abhyasi),the practician is then filled with a force higher than
        himself and
        > therefore his,evolution or progress becomes very much faster and,in
        essence
        > is independent of his own capacity for progress.

        Mystifatically ridiculous.

        > Also by the Master's power,the Transmission erases all the past
        impressions
        > (called samskaras) which we have built up in our minds and that
        condition our
        > behaviour and existence.When the past impressions are
        eradicated,material
        > existence falls into its proper place,as does every other facet of
        our existence.

        Complete and utter bullshit.
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 21 , May 17, 2005
          Jody -

          Are you trying to
          recreate GR here
          in peaceful Bob's
          place, with your
          fiery vanguard?

          Have another
          habanero.

          With all of love's
          transmission
          that one guru
          can muster,

          Jeff

          Message 4 of 21 , May 17, 2005
            <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
            ...all the past impressions
            > (called samskaras) which we have built up in our minds and that
            condition our
            > behaviour and existence.When the past impressions are
            eradicated,material
            > existence falls into its proper place,as does every other facet of
            our existence.

            Yes, this is a most
            beautiful experience.
            The essence of it is
            written of in many
            philosophies, religions
            and spiritual traditions.

            When the conditioned
            self" gives way to
            the "True Self" one
            is absolved of all
            guilt and anguish -
            and everything,
            EVERYTHING, falls
            into place.

            The absolved one now
            faces existence in a
            whole new light, as
            a whole new being.

            "You shall know the
            Truth, and The Truth
            shall set you free."

            And, as The Tao says,
            "If it wasn't bullshit
            to the conditioned mind,
            it wouldn't be The Way."
            Message 5 of 21 , May 17, 2005
              <jeff@m...> wrote:
              > Jody -
              >
              > Are you trying to
              > recreate GR here
              > in peaceful Bob's
              > place, with your
              > fiery vanguard?
              >
              > Have another
              > habanero.
              >
              > With all of love's
              > transmission
              > that one guru
              > can muster,
              >
              > Jeff

              Yo Papajeff,
              You're probably right on the money with labeling
              Jodyji's remarks as having the GuruRatings group
              flavor about them. And this brings to mind other times
              here where one side of an issue (who's a real
              Guru and who's not) and another had great debates that
              were pretty ugly and didn't seem to fit the beauty
              and tranquility that meditation usually is associated
              with. But now, as then, I think (and that will always
              cause trouble:-) that both Jodiji and Sri Subhash Naik
              have good intentions. One seeks to spare others from
              wasting time on a path that leads to nowhere, and the
              other to help point out a path they have found to be
              beneficial. But - "...the road to Hell is paved with
              good intentions", and I know you remember how we
              ended up with hundreds of posts here that were mostly
              "You're a jerk and a fraud" "Oh yeah - well so are
              you and so's your mother", or something similar. So,
              as in life, even a meditative one, there are always
              going to be times that are seemingly incongruous
              with the environment we would like to be in, but often
              these are the times that we can learn the most. I hope
              that this is just such a moment for this group. And
              if it starts to get out of hand, I have a feeling that
              another window will open and a gust of fresh air will
              get the stink out of the room. In any event, we always
              have the option of the "can't go wrong" strategy of
              silently witnessing the events and paying attention
              with "good" intention. And if that doesn't do it, well,
              we can always start talking about the Eagles chances
              of going back to the Superbowl if TO holds out.

              Message 6 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                <jeff@m...> wrote:
                > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
                > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
                > ...all the past impressions
                > > (called samskaras) which we have built up in our minds and that
                > condition our
                > > behaviour and existence.When the past impressions are
                > eradicated,material
                > > existence falls into its proper place,as does every other facet of
                > our existence.
                >

                > Yes, this is a most
                > beautiful experience.
                > The essence of it is
                > written of in many
                > philosophies, religions
                > and spiritual traditions.
                >
                > When the conditioned
                > self" gives way to
                > the "True Self" one
                > is absolved of all
                > guilt and anguish -
                > and everything,
                > EVERYTHING, falls
                > into place.
                >
                > The absolved one now
                > faces existence in a
                > whole new light, as
                > a whole new being.
                >
                > "You shall know the
                > Truth, and The Truth
                > shall set you free."
                >
                > And, as The Tao says,
                > "If it wasn't bullshit
                > to the conditioned mind,
                > it wouldn't be The Way."

                That's all well and good. But the idea that
                this happens by way of a magical transferrence
                of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.

                It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                and added clarity brought about by meditation.

                You don't get something for nothing, and there's
                no magical powers to do it for you.
              • jodyrrr
                Message 7 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                  [snip]

                  > that both Jodiji and Sri Subhash Naik
                  > have good intentions. One seeks to spare others from
                  > wasting time on a path that leads to nowhere, and the
                  > other to help point out a path they have found to be
                  > beneficial.

                  Actually, I believe Sahaj Marg will work just as good
                  as anything. Included in that anything are the practices
                  listed at meditationsociety.org. I'm not doubting that
                  it works, just the idea that you have to PAY for it, and
                  the idea that it's better than other, more economical
                  methods.

                  But the thing that really gets my panties knotted is the
                  idea that its effacacy is due to a magical transmission that
                  comes from a "master." This idea is clearly in the realm
                  of magical thinking and is no better than a fairy tale.
                  But this fairy tale is being used to promote the practice.

                  That's what's BS about it. It's a marketing hook along
                  the lines of those used by snake oil salesman. The so-called
                  "masters" powers are no more effective than those of my
                  dog. The practice may work, but it works by means of
                  creating sattvas in the mind, not because some guru
                  somewhere is dosing you with a "transmission."

                  --jody.

                  [snip]
                • jodyrrr
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                    <jeff@m...> wrote:
                    > Jody -
                    >
                    > Are you trying to
                    > recreate GR here
                    > in peaceful Bob's
                    > place, with your
                    > fiery vanguard?
                    >
                    > Have another
                    > habanero.
                    >
                    > With all of love's
                    > transmission
                    > that one guru
                    > can muster,
                    >
                    > Jeff

                    Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?

                    I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                    begins to refrain from his incessant
                    guru pimping.

                    --jody.

                    Message 9 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                      <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                      > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                      > > Jody -
                      > >
                      > > Are you trying to
                      > > recreate GR here
                      > > in peaceful Bob's
                      > > place, with your
                      > > fiery vanguard?
                      > >
                      > > Have another
                      > > habanero.
                      > >
                      > > With all of love's
                      > > transmission
                      > > that one guru
                      > > can muster,
                      > >
                      > > Jeff
                      >
                      > Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?
                      >
                      > I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                      > begins to refrain from his incessant
                      > guru pimping.
                      >
                      > --jody.

                      Yo Jodyji,
                      I won't address the validity of your labeling
                      Sri Subhash's actions as "guru pimping" (even though
                      I must admit that the phrase made me laugh), but
                      the adverb/adjective "incessant" might be a bit
                      off base. For a while there had been several
                      posts a day about Sahaj Marg and when I asked to
                      have that limited to one per day, so as to not
                      turn this forum excessivly into a Sahaj Marg
                      advertisement, Sri Subhash graciously agreed,
                      and has continued complying with my request 100%.
                      I now feel it right to release him from that limit
                      should he care to respond to you. And of course, your
                      posts are always welcome and appreciated.
                    • jodyrrr
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                        > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                        > > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                        > > > Jody -
                        > > >
                        > > > Are you trying to
                        > > > recreate GR here
                        > > > in peaceful Bob's
                        > > > place, with your
                        > > > fiery vanguard?
                        > > >
                        > > > Have another
                        > > > habanero.
                        > > >
                        > > > With all of love's
                        > > > transmission
                        > > > that one guru
                        > > > can muster,
                        > > >
                        > > > Jeff
                        > >
                        > > Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?
                        > >
                        > > I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                        > > begins to refrain from his incessant
                        > > guru pimping.
                        > >
                        > > --jody.
                        > >
                        > Yo Jodyji,
                        > I won't address the validity of your labeling
                        > Sri Subhash's actions as "guru pimping" (even though
                        > I must admit that the phrase made me laugh), but
                        > the adverb/adjective "incessant" might be a bit
                        > off base.

                        Once every day or so with the same exact content
                        qualifies as incessant in my book.

                        > For a while there had been several
                        > posts a day about Sahaj Marg and when I asked to
                        > have that limited to one per day, so as to not
                        > turn this forum excessivly into a Sahaj Marg
                        > advertisement, Sri Subhash graciously agreed,
                        > and has continued complying with my request 100%.

                        It's still advertising at one per day, especially
                        given the static content.

                        > I now feel it right to release him from that limit
                        > should he care to respond to you. And of course, your
                        > posts are always welcome and appreciated.
                        > Peace and blessings,
                        > Bob

                        I welcome the opportunity.

                        Thanks, Bob.

                        --jody.
                      • Jeff Belyea
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                          <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                          > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                          > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
                          > > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
                          > > ...all the past impressions
                          > > > (called samskaras) which we have built up in our minds and that
                          > > condition our
                          > > > behaviour and existence.When the past impressions are
                          > > eradicated,material
                          > > > existence falls into its proper place,as does every other facet
                          of
                          > > our existence.
                          > >

                          > > Yes, this is a most
                          > > beautiful experience.
                          > > The essence of it is
                          > > written of in many
                          > > philosophies, religions
                          > > and spiritual traditions.
                          > >
                          > > When the conditioned
                          > > self" gives way to
                          > > the "True Self" one
                          > > is absolved of all
                          > > guilt and anguish -
                          > > and everything,
                          > > EVERYTHING, falls
                          > > into place.
                          > >
                          > > The absolved one now
                          > > faces existence in a
                          > > whole new light, as
                          > > a whole new being.
                          > >
                          > > "You shall know the
                          > > Truth, and The Truth
                          > > shall set you free."
                          > >
                          > > And, as The Tao says,
                          > > "If it wasn't bullshit
                          > > to the conditioned mind,
                          > > it wouldn't be The Way."
                          >
                          > That's all well and good. But the idea that
                          > this happens by way of a magical transferrence
                          > of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.
                          >
                          > It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                          > and added clarity brought about by meditation.
                          >
                          > You don't get something for nothing, and there's
                          > no magical powers to do it for you.

                          We don't know enough
                          to know whether we
                          know this or not.
                        • Jeff Belyea
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                            <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                            > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                            > > Jody -
                            > >
                            > > Are you trying to
                            > > recreate GR here
                            > > in peaceful Bob's
                            > > place, with your
                            > > fiery vanguard?
                            > >
                            > > Have another
                            > > habanero.
                            > >
                            > > With all of love's
                            > > transmission
                            > > that one guru
                            > > can muster,
                            > >
                            > > Jeff
                            >
                            > Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?
                            >
                            > I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                            > begins to refrain from his incessant
                            > guru pimping.
                            >
                            > --jody.

                            Bob addressed it well.

                            Having received his
                            transmission, I will
                            simply open a window
                            when your literary
                            lurches, propelled by
                            habanero lunch, reach
                            the launchpad of
                            digestive release.

                            In an earlier incarnation,
                            weren't you the one
                            who poo-pooed the
                            theory of flight,
                            breaking the 4-minute
                            mile barrier, and the
                            very idea of transmitting
                            pictures over a cable?

                            10

                            9

                            8

                            7

                            6

                            ...open window.
                          • jodyrrr
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                              <jeff@m...> wrote:
                              > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                              > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                              > > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                              > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
                              > > > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
                              > > > ...all the past impressions
                              > > > condition our
                              > > > eradicated,material
                              > of
                              > > > our existence.
                              > > >

                              > > > Yes, this is a most
                              > > > beautiful experience.
                              > > > The essence of it is
                              > > > written of in many
                              > > > philosophies, religions
                              > > > and spiritual traditions.
                              > > >
                              > > > When the conditioned
                              > > > self" gives way to
                              > > > the "True Self" one
                              > > > is absolved of all
                              > > > guilt and anguish -
                              > > > and everything,
                              > > > EVERYTHING, falls
                              > > > into place.
                              > > >
                              > > > The absolved one now
                              > > > faces existence in a
                              > > > whole new light, as
                              > > > a whole new being.
                              > > >
                              > > > "You shall know the
                              > > > Truth, and The Truth
                              > > > shall set you free."
                              > > >
                              > > > And, as The Tao says,
                              > > > "If it wasn't bullshit
                              > > > to the conditioned mind,
                              > > > it wouldn't be The Way."
                              > >
                              > > That's all well and good. But the idea that
                              > > this happens by way of a magical transferrence
                              > > of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.
                              > >
                              > > It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                              > > and added clarity brought about by meditation.
                              > >
                              > > You don't get something for nothing, and there's
                              > > no magical powers to do it for you.
                              >
                              > We don't know enough
                              > to know whether we
                              > know this or not.

                              That's what the magic apologists like to say.

                              "How can you know that you know."

                              Because I can find a more likely explantion
                              that doesn't resort to mystified nonsense.
                              And because *anything* in the realm of magical
                              is *always* phenomenological. So, two people
                              will experience their "magic" in completely
                              different ways. This puts such phenomena
                              squarely in the category 'imaginal,' IOW,
                              made up.

                              If someone gets a cold, they're likely to
                              believe it came from a germ rather
                              than believing a curse was set upon them.

                              But as soon as a "divine" guru enters the
                              equation, all reason flies right out the window,
                              and normally rational folk are prepared to
                              believe all kinds of utter nonsense. Just
                              hang out at an Amma satsang to catch a
                              glimpse.

                              It's a form of infantilism that pollutes
                              spiritual culture like a plague of ignorance.

                              And it keeps people from seeing the truth of
                              their own being, because they are taught to
                              believe it only comes by way of the magic
                              "transmissions" of their guru. It may as
                              well be a nocturnal emmission. At least then
                              you are getting something real, if not icky
                              and sticky and gross.
                            • jodyrrr
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                                <jeff@m...> wrote:
                                > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                                > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                                > > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                                > > > Jody -
                                > > >
                                > > > Are you trying to
                                > > > recreate GR here
                                > > > in peaceful Bob's
                                > > > place, with your
                                > > > fiery vanguard?
                                > > >
                                > > > Have another
                                > > > habanero.
                                > > >
                                > > > With all of love's
                                > > > transmission
                                > > > that one guru
                                > > > can muster,
                                > > >
                                > > > Jeff
                                > >
                                > > Are you asking me to pipe down, Jeff?
                                > >
                                > > I can do that. Perhaps after Subhash
                                > > begins to refrain from his incessant
                                > > guru pimping.
                                > >
                                > > --jody.
                                > >

                                > Bob addressed it well.
                                >
                                > Having received his
                                > transmission, I will
                                > simply open a window
                                > when your literary
                                > lurches, propelled by
                                > habanero lunch, reach
                                > the launchpad of
                                > digestive release.
                                >
                                > In an earlier incarnation,
                                > weren't you the one
                                > who poo-pooed the
                                > theory of flight,
                                > breaking the 4-minute
                                > mile barrier, and the
                                > very idea of transmitting
                                > pictures over a cable?
                                >

                                > 10
                                >
                                > 9
                                >
                                > 8
                                >
                                > 7
                                >
                                > 6
                                >
                                > ...open window.

                                That's a reverse metaphor, Jeff.

                                You are talking of the progression from
                                magic to rational with these examples.

                                Observing birds in flight, I can imagine
                                men one day doing so.

                                Seeing men going faster and faster, I can
                                imagine a 4-minute mile.

                                Seeing a photograph and knowing of the
                                telegraph, I can imagine pictures over cable.

                                But not seeing anything like a "transmission"
                                from a guru, and only having my subjective
                                interpretation of my experience, and the
                                subjective interpretation of others' experience,
                                and knowing that these interpretations are almost
                                always completely different from one another;
                                I'm making a huge, irrational leap to believe
                                that such is occurring in the light of a more
                                simple explanation, that the so-called "transmitted"
                                experiences are nothing more than self-suggested
                                wish fulfillment.

                                I've been in the presence of 4 well-known gurus,
                                and I've seen people practically flipping on the
                                ground like fish over them, but there was never
                                any evidence of anything more than their ideas
                                about the gurus causing anything. If "transmission"
                                was really a legit avenue for realization, why aren't
                                ALL of Amma's devotees realized?

                                Amma's devotees will say because we're not pure
                                enough. And that is the occluding idea which Amma
                                clogs their brains with. The fact is that everyone
                                has it—as you know—they just don't all see it.
                                It has nothing to do with purity and everything to
                                do with a simple lack of recognition. That's what
                                a real guru helps you with. S/he doesn't bathe you
                                in their "divine" light. That's just sales boilerplate
                                to keep the satsang junkies coming. What a real guru
                                does is recognize the Self in the devotee, and gently
                                attempt to put the devotee's attention there.

                                If gurus did that instead of enjoying all the adulation
                                that comes with being thought of as God, a whole lot
                                more of their devotees would actually come to realization,
                                rather than getting stuck in a cul-de-sac of shame and
                                obsessiveness over not being pure enough to know God.

                                That is one of the biggest tragedies wrought by the
                                egregious misinterpretation of Vedanta by the hagio-
                                deluded progenitors of neo Hinduism coming out of
                                India these days.
                              • ser_el_ser
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                                  m...> wrote:
                                  > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                                  > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                                  > > <jeff@m...> wrote:
                                  > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
                                  > > > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
                                  > > > ...all the past impressions
                                  > > > condition our
                                  > > > eradicated,material
                                  > of
                                  > > > our existence.
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Yes, this is a most
                                  > > > beautiful experience.
                                  > > > The essence of it is
                                  > > > written of in many
                                  > > > philosophies, religions
                                  > > > and spiritual traditions.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > When the conditioned
                                  > > > self" gives way to
                                  > > > the "True Self" one
                                  > > > is absolved of all
                                  > > > guilt and anguish -
                                  > > > and everything,
                                  > > > EVERYTHING, falls
                                  > > > into place.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > The absolved one now
                                  > > > faces existence in a
                                  > > > whole new light, as
                                  > > > a whole new being.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > "You shall know the
                                  > > > Truth, and The Truth
                                  > > > shall set you free."
                                  > > >
                                  > > > And, as The Tao says,
                                  > > > "If it wasn't bullshit
                                  > > > to the conditioned mind,
                                  > > > it wouldn't be The Way."
                                  > >
                                  > > That's all well and good. But the idea that
                                  > > this happens by way of a magical transferrence
                                  > > of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.
                                  > >
                                  > > It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                                  > > and added clarity brought about by meditation.
                                  > >
                                  > > You don't get something for nothing, and there's
                                  > > no magical powers to do it for you.
                                  >
                                  > We don't know enough
                                  > to know whether we
                                  > know this or not.

                                  Hello Jeff and Jodi,

                                  I would like to enter here.
                                  Though I agree with Jodi that "It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                                  and added clarity brought about by meditation" in the sense that
                                  understanding comes with time, I also know that thanks to a shocking sudden
                                  realization one can know for once what the true nature of oneself is.
                                  Though in my case deconditioning is still happening, the truth of being is
                                  always known since this happening.
                                  From an exchange on Spiritual Humanism group, a lot of reflectioning has
                                  been happening in the past days, since there seems that many that
                                  apparently are very clear, have not had this 'shocking sudden realization', but
                                  apparently stand on this deconditioning along time as the only means. When I
                                  come to describe what happened in my case, it is as difficult to describe it
                                  from my side as to understand or accept it from the point of view of those
                                  reading the post. So I am coming to accept that talking about this happening
                                  goes nowhere.
                                  The point is, that the fact of not having had the "experience" with its
                                  consequent amazing realization of something so evident that was never seen
                                  before, does not proves the invalidity or impossibility of it.
                                  And here comes the issue of denying.
                                  I have never flight on an Icarus, but I cannot deny the described experiences
                                  of those who had, for the simple reason of not having had the same
                                  experience. I cannot deny.

                                  So this is why I feel that saying that these and that way or these and that
                                  philosophy is not valid, is improper, and more than that, absolutely unfair.

                                  Everything is possible. Evidently, not within the thinking process or the
                                  rational limitations, but within existence.

                                  So why deny anything? If you, Jodi, want to help others see their delusions
                                  and make them open their eyes, is it not possible without denying
                                  possibilities?

                                  Maria L
                                • jodyrrr
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                                    --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "ser_el_ser"
                                    <ser_el_ser@y...> wrote:
                                    > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@
                                    > m...> wrote:
                                    > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jodyrrr"
                                    > > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
                                    > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
                                    > > of

                                    > > > That's all well and good. But the idea that
                                    > > > this happens by way of a magical transferrence
                                    > > > of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > It happens over time by way of deconditioning
                                    > > > and added clarity brought about by meditation.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > You don't get something for nothing, and there's
                                    > > > no magical powers to do it for you.
                                    > >
                                    > > We don't know enough
                                    > > to know whether we
                                    > > know this or not.
                                    >
                                    > Hello Jeff and Jodi,
                                    >
                                    > I would like to enter here.
                                    > Though I agree with Jodi that "It happens over time by way of
                                    deconditioning
                                    > and added clarity brought about by meditation" in the sense that
                                    > understanding comes with time, I also know that thanks to a shocking
                                    sudden
                                    > realization one can know for once what the true nature of oneself is.

                                    But those shocks come by way of sudden reckonings, or perhaps
                                    emotional reactions to traumatic occurrances, not by some guru
                                    waving his magic fingers at you.

                                    > Though in my case deconditioning is still happening, the truth of
                                    being is
                                    > always known since this happening.
                                    > From an exchange on Spiritual Humanism group, a lot of reflectioning
                                    has
                                    > been happening in the past days, since there seems that many that
                                    > apparently are very clear, have not had this 'shocking sudden
                                    realization', but
                                    > apparently stand on this deconditioning along time as the only
                                    means. When I
                                    > come to describe what happened in my case, it is as difficult to
                                    describe it
                                    > from my side as to understand or accept it from the point of view of
                                    those
                                    > reading the post. So I am coming to accept that talking about this
                                    happening
                                    > goes nowhere.
                                    > The point is, that the fact of not having had the "experience" with its
                                    > consequent amazing realization of something so evident that was
                                    never seen
                                    > before, does not proves the invalidity or impossibility of it.
                                    > And here comes the issue of denying.
                                    > I have never flight on an Icarus, but I cannot deny the described
                                    experiences
                                    > of those who had, for the simple reason of not having had the same
                                    > experience. I cannot deny.
                                    >
                                    > So this is why I feel that saying that these and that way or these
                                    and that
                                    > philosophy is not valid, is improper, and more than that, absolutely
                                    unfair.

                                    > Everything is possible. Evidently, not within the thinking process
                                    or the
                                    > rational limitations, but within existence.
                                    >
                                    > So why deny anything? If you, Jodi, want to help others see their
                                    delusions
                                    > and make them open their eyes, is it not possible without denying
                                    > possibilities?
                                    >
                                    > Maria L

                                    Because I'm convinced that believing in magical occurrances as
                                    a way to establish one in realization work much more against
                                    realization rather than for it. This is based on my own
                                    experiences and observations. I was a close disciple of
                                    one of these "transmission" gurus, and I observed first-hand
                                    the fact that it wasn't by magic, but by *belief* in magic
                                    that people got their "experiences." I also observed that
                                    these experiences were generated at the *suggestion* of the
                                    guru *before* he waved his magic fingers. I observed as well
                                    that those who wanted to impress the guru had regular
                                    experiences, because this pleased the guru to hear. Finally,
                                    I observed that the "experiences" had this way were nothing
                                    more than fantasies that led to nothing except a kind of
                                    pride over having experienced them, which itself led to a
                                    false sense of adeptness.

                                    I'm not denying the possibility that realization cannot
                                    occur in one of these contexts, I'm saying that the model
                                    is *imagined* rather than real. It's faith-healing, not
                                    magical transmission. The "experiences" these folks get
                                    are psychological/emotional, *interpreted* to be spiritual.

                                    The Upanishads say it's not a thought, feeling, idea, or
                                    experience. Anything you feel is a feeling. Anything
                                    you think is a thought. 'This' is neither, and while the
                                    direct knowing of 'this' occurs in a context of thought
                                    and feeling, those who know it know it has as much to do
                                    with either as my dog's ass.
                                  • ser_el_ser
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 17, 2005
                                      ....snip

> [...]
                                      > experiences, because this pleased the guru to hear. Finally,
                                      > I observed that the "experiences" had this way were nothing
                                      > more than fantasies that led to nothing except a kind of
                                      > pride over having experienced them, which itself led to a
                                      > false sense of adeptness.
                                      >
                                      > I'm not denying the possibility that realization cannot
                                      > occur in one of these contexts, I'm saying that the model
                                      > is *imagined* rather than real. It's faith-healing, not
                                      > magical transmission. The "experiences" these folks get
                                      > are psychological/emotional, *interpreted* to be spiritual.
                                      >
                                      > The Upanishads say it's not a thought, feeling, idea, or
                                      > experience. Anything you feel is a feeling. Anything
                                      > you think is a thought. 'This' is neither, and while the
                                      > direct knowing of 'this' occurs in a context of thought
                                      > and feeling, those who know it know it has as much to do

                                      Thanks, very good reply.

                                      Maria
                                    • globe peace
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 17, 2005

                                        Hi all,

                                        Greetings. I found this link, that narrates the author's experience on meditation - cool and beautiful -
                                        http://www.udaypai.net/begin.htm
                                        Worth reading and we should encourage this guy
                                        Peace and love

                                        Martin

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                                      • Jeff Belyea
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 18, 2005
                                          Jody,

                                          I'm not an advocate of
                                          the transmission view,
                                          and you know that. I
                                          just can't resist jostling
                                          your "certainty" whenever
                                          I read your fiery "this is
                                          nothing more than..."
                                          attempts to present your
                                          bitter bluster as objective
                                          truth.

                                          That fundamentalists' fungi
                                          stinks worse than any flight
                                          of glittery creative rubric
                                          that goes into the make-up
                                          of the guru magic show.

                                          Voltaire, another fiery
                                          habanero imbiber who
                                          did his share of singes
                                          in his time, said,
                                          "Uncertainly may be
                                          uncomfortable, but
                                          certainty is ridiculous."

                                          Anyway, I love your
                                          writing style. Even if
                                          the content is blustery,
                                          your tenacity is awesome.
                                          It's like...(another of
                                          my bruxism-producing
                                          favorites)...never not
                                          the case.

                                          Your relentless pursuit
                                          of the phoney guru hasn't
                                          abated for a minute since
                                          your own Guru Application
                                          was turned down.

                                          You even have a handle on
                                          what constitutes a "real"
                                          guru? Where are they?
                                          Who are they?

                                          Love transmitting
                                          every minute,

                                          Jeff

                                          PS: This has to bring
                                          Bruce out.

                                          > I've been in the presence of 4 well-known gurus,
                                          > and I've seen people practically flipping on the
                                          > ground like fish over them, but there was never
                                          > any evidence of anything more than their ideas
                                          > about the gurus causing anything. If "transmission"
                                          > was really a legit avenue for realization, why aren't
                                          > ALL of Amma's devotees realized?
                                          >
                                          > Amma's devotees will say because we're not pure
                                          > enough. And that is the occluding idea which Amma
                                          > clogs their brains with. The fact is that everyone
                                          > has it—as you know—they just don't all see it.
                                          > It has nothing to do with purity and everything to
                                          > do with a simple lack of recognition. That's what
                                          > a real guru helps you with. S/he doesn't bathe you
                                          > in their "divine" light. That's just sales boilerplate
                                          > to keep the satsang junkies coming. What a real guru
                                          > does is recognize the Self in the devotee, and gently
                                          > attempt to put the devotee's attention there.
                                          >
                                          > If gurus did that instead of enjoying all the adulation
                                          > that comes with being thought of as God, a whole lot
                                          > more of their devotees would actually come to realization,
                                          > rather than getting stuck in a cul-de-sac of shame and
                                          > obsessiveness over not being pure enough to know God.
                                          >
                                          > That is one of the biggest tragedies wrought by the
                                          > egregious misinterpretation of Vedanta by the hagio-
                                          > deluded progenitors of neo Hinduism coming out of
                                          > India these days.
                                        • jodyrrr
                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 19, 2005
                                            <jeff@m...> wrote:
                                            > Jody,
                                            >
                                            > I'm not an advocate of
                                            > the transmission view,
                                            > and you know that. I
                                            > just can't resist jostling
                                            > your "certainty" whenever
                                            > I read your fiery "this is
                                            > nothing more than..."
                                            > attempts to present your
                                            > bitter bluster as objective
                                            > truth.

                                            It's not coming from a bitter place, Jeff,
                                            but a frustrated and exasperated one.

                                            Frustrated by the many wrong ideas and
                                            beliefs about gurus, and exasperated by
                                            those who believe and promote them.

                                            > That fundamentalists' fungi
                                            > stinks worse than any flight
                                            > of glittery creative rubric
                                            > that goes into the make-up
                                            > of the guru magic show.

                                            Fundamentalist? Not at all, Jeff.
                                            I'm convinced any path will work,
                                            including the heaviest guru bhakti
                                            with the most narcissistic of the
                                            "divine" among us.

                                            It's not what you believe (or who
                                            you are believing in,) it's how you
                                            believe it.

                                            I'm not saying that the "magic" can't
                                            work, I'm that believing in magical
                                            gurus is not one bit different from
                                            believing in fairy tales as children.
                                            And like children waiting to see the
                                            tooth fairy, many folks get stuck waiting
                                            for something that will never come, their
                                            idea of magical enlightenment being the
                                            primary impediment.

                                            > Voltaire, another fiery
                                            > habanero imbiber who
                                            > did his share of singes
                                            > in his time, said,
                                            > "Uncertainly may be
                                            > uncomfortable, but
                                            > certainty is ridiculous."

                                            My "certainty" is much more in how I'm
                                            sounding rather than what I'm meaning.
                                            As I said, the whole (ridiculous) magic
                                            thing can work. It does work. That's
                                            why it's so successful. But the way it
                                            works is just like faith-healing. The
                                            guru doesn't have the power, *you* do.
                                            You allow yourself to experience your
                                            *own* power in the presence of a guru,
                                            because having a guru around allows you
                                            to believe it will happen.

                                            > Anyway, I love your
                                            > writing style. Even if
                                            > the content is blustery,
                                            > your tenacity is awesome.
                                            > It's like...(another of
                                            > my bruxism-producing
                                            > favorites)...never not
                                            > the case.

                                            I suppose I'm a bit of a broken record
                                            about these things. Ces't la vie.

                                            > Your relentless pursuit
                                            > of the phoney guru hasn't
                                            > abated for a minute since
                                            > your own Guru Application
                                            > was turned down.

                                            My "relentless pursuit" was going long,
                                            long before that little debacle. I never
                                            considered that application valid
                                            anyway, given the state of mind of the
                                            manager there. Besides, everyone I respect
                                            *except* you were out of that comeditragedy
                                            soon after I left anyway.

                                            > You even have a handle on
                                            > what constitutes a "real"
                                            > guru? Where are they?
                                            > Who are they?

                                            Anyone who knows who they are and are *not*
                                            on any kind of pedestal, whether by their own
                                            devices or that of their devotees.

                                            A real guru makes sure his/her people know
                                            that they are just exactly like them, in the
                                            same boat of life floating on the same sea
                                            together. A real guru makes everyone know
                                            that they are just as divine as anyone else,
                                            that divinity is right here, right now in
                                            all of our lives, exclusive of no one.

                                            --jody

                                            BTW: I'm heading into the bush for a few days.
                                            I'll be back online Monday.

                                            > Love transmitting
                                            > every minute,
                                            >
                                            > Jeff
                                            >
                                            > PS: This has to bring
                                            > Bruce out.
                                            >

                                            > > I've been in the presence of 4 well-known gurus,
                                            > > and I've seen people practically flipping on the
                                            > > ground like fish over them, but there was never
                                            > > any evidence of anything more than their ideas
                                            > > about the gurus causing anything. If "transmission"
                                            > > was really a legit avenue for realization, why aren't
                                            > > ALL of Amma's devotees realized?
                                            > >
                                            > > Amma's devotees will say because we're not pure
                                            > > enough. And that is the occluding idea which Amma
                                            > > clogs their brains with. The fact is that everyone
                                            > > has it—as you know—they just don't all see it.
                                            > > It has nothing to do with purity and everything to
                                            > > do with a simple lack of recognition. That's what
                                            > > a real guru helps you with. S/he doesn't bathe you
                                            > > in their "divine" light. That's just sales boilerplate
                                            > > to keep the satsang junkies coming. What a real guru
                                            > > does is recognize the Self in the devotee, and gently
                                            > > attempt to put the devotee's attention there.
                                            > >
                                            > > If gurus did that instead of enjoying all the adulation
                                            > > that comes with being thought of as God, a whole lot
                                            > > more of their devotees would actually come to realization,
                                            > > rather than getting stuck in a cul-de-sac of shame and
                                            > > obsessiveness over not being pure enough to know God.
                                            > >
                                            > > That is one of the biggest tragedies wrought by the
                                            > > egregious misinterpretation of Vedanta by the hagio-
                                            > > deluded progenitors of neo Hinduism coming out of
                                            > > India these days.
                                          • Jeff Belyea
                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 19, 2005
                                              Thanks, Jody -