The Master and the combat

  • tsenshab
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2005
      The aikidô master demanded intensive training but never allowed his pupils to compete
      with other martial-arts academies. They all complained among themselves but no-one
      ever had the nerve to bring up the subject in class.
      And then one day one of the boys dared to ask:
      - We have dedicated ourselves wholeheartedly to the study of aikidô, but we shall never
      know whether we are good or bad fighters because we cannot compete with anyone from
      outside here.
      - And may you never need to know that - was the master's answer. - He who wants to
      fight loses his bond with the Universe. Here we study the art of resolving conflicts, not
      starting them.

      Source: Paulo Coelho´s online short stories http://www.warriorofthelight.com